“Dinner and Sunset the perfect combination.” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Chicago, Illinois
“Dinner and Sunset the perfect combination.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

First of all, the staff was absolutely fabulous. I went there one night without a reservation and Andrew apologized since reservations were required, of course I didn't have a problem with that, and asked if he could make one for the following evening. We introduced one another. I said "lets make a reservation for 6 PM tomorrow" He looked at me and said "Randy, you've got it." As I left I wondered if he'd remember this and to write it down. The next evening we arrived and Andrew greeted us and said "Randy, so good to you see you, I have table #1 ready for you" That alone made me think that this is the best restaurant on the island, but it didn't stop there. From the start they treated us as if were VIP's on the island. Kim our waitress made sure that we wanted for nothing. I'm also a photographer and getting sunset shots there is incredibly easy.
As we sat and waited for our drinks Andrew came over and said if I'd look to take a photo of the Mahi Mahi they just caught. Who am I to say "no"? The Chef came out of the kitchen holding this gigantic fish and I could not believe my eyes. (See photo)
The food is simply divine. We had Island Salad, Chowder of the day which had the Mahi Mahi in it. So you know it is all very fresh. The steak I had was made to perfection.
YOU MUST HAVE THEIR DESSERT the day we went they had homemade coconut ice cream. Never had better.
At the end of the meal Laura, the owner, talked to us. She came to the island about 8 years ago and fixed this place up it's wonderful. You need to stay there. Back to Laura, she asked if I enjoyed the meal (Not knowing my odd sense of humor) I said to her that it was awful I believe that's when I realized that not everyone knows how abstract my humor is. I quickly said I'm kidding and thank goodness all is well. We ended up talking for 10 minutes about the island, her place The Waves at Cane Bay, and how she came to the island. Again, they make you feel as if you're the most important person there and on the island. They know how to treat a person.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Wellesley, Massachusetts
“Didn't miss this one”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

We were staying at the carambola and looking for a change of pace. We saw all the excellent reviews and knew we had to go. We dined there twice and we're not disappointed in the least! We had reservations and were warmly greeted each time. This is a beautiful and romantic location with the sunset right in front of you. Bring your sunglasses if you sit early. Waves were rough one night but not a problem. Food was excellent. Fish chowder was fresh with imaginative ingredients(sausage) and a little spice. Fried Calamari was the best. Had the lamb special one night which was creative to say the least. Fish the next night was perfectly cooked and fresh with a sauce I could not create at home. Sides were acorn squash and spinach, each perfectly cooked and seasoned. Coconut ice cream is not to be missed. And finally the wine, although slightly limited in choice, is very well chosen and reasonably priced. Could not say more. Great food, good service and a wonderful location. Will come back again when we return.

Visited April 2014
Coldwater, Michigan
“Beautiful atmosphere, wonderful food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

We were on a mission: drive around until we found the place we wanted to have dinner at! Didn't know where we would end up, then we saw the sign, "Best cuisine on the island"! Why not!? You can't even see the restaurant from the road as it's tucked away under the hotel. It's right down on the water! Beautiful! They were short handed and had a lot of reservations, but they said we could have the grotto seat if we wanted! It was the best seat in the house! My husband was right next to the water where he was able to hand pick his own lobster for dinner! The waves were crashing right underneath us, a little candle sitting in a cup of sand, cocktails, appetizers and a fresh seafood meal to die for! They weren't misrepresenting when they said "Best cuisine on the island"! I would suggest a reservation if you want to try it out! They only have a handful of tables! We just got lucky!

Visited April 2014
New York City, New York
“What a treat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

Who would know that this special grotto-like gourmet experience awaited us just steps off the road?!? We saw an amazing sunset and delicious food. Everyone was very friendly and we had a great time! The owner runs the Inn and attached restaurant at the ocean's edge. Don't forget to make a reservation.

Danville, Indiana
“Lobster fresh from the sea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

This is the third time we have dined at Waves at Cane Bay. The restaurant literally sits on the water, the waves crash over a rock reef, but still spill and splash over the retaining wall. This is a very intimate restaurant, seats maybe 35, outside with a personal experience with the sea. The food is outstanding. The owner and chef have it together. Risotto was perfect, the lobster was about 5 minutes old, right from the sea. I would recommend w/o reservation. Hats off to Laura and her staff! Stay strong and survive.
Bill