“enjoyed the horses (and dogs)” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Horseback Riding Stables
Activities: Horseback riding
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Take a guided horseback ride through the rain forest, past Danish ruins, along beautiful white sand beach with palm trees and spectacular vibrant blues of the sea, while discovering a wide palette of tropical sights and sounds from kapok trees, tarzan vines and wild bromilliads to gigantic termite nests and tame honey bee hives.
Indianapolis, Indiana
“enjoyed the horses (and dogs)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

I’m a once-a-year type of horse rider, doing trail rides in parks, etc. I believe Jill and Paul are probably the most conscientious horseback ride business owners I’ve ever seen. They take great effort in matching you to a horse and sizing your saddle. Paul even meets you at the beach and checks your saddle again. Jill explains the plant and animal life along the way (but no bullhorn as I’ve read in other reviews). My daughter and I had a great time.

One important note - they'll accept a charge card to hold a reservation, but you need to pay in cash or traveler's check.

Visited February 2014

Saint Louis, Missouri
3 attraction reviews
“Extremely Relaxing!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

The horses did all the work while we went through the forest and on the beach. Jill was a great guide and spent a lot of time with us. We were able to experience something different from your standard vacation excursion. It is well worth doing and you won't forget this.

Visited October 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Paul and Jill's Equestrian Stables trail ride in St. Croix.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

I am a rider, have ridden for years, and am always a bit skeptical about hacking out on hack horses with whom I have no experience riding or knowing.

I need not have worried at Paul and Jill's Equestrian Stables.

First, I was very impressed that our trail ride was scheduled after the horses were given a midday meal of alfalfa cubes. This was wonderful, because a well-fed horse tends to be a happy horse and in no hurry to get back to the barn to eat. Jill, the owner and trail leader, was very careful in making well-informed horse/rider teams, taking into consideration the weight and height of the riders and horses, and the experience of each individual rider and the characteristics of each individual horse.

I got the impression that she owned all her hack horses for a very long time, because she knew each one's individual habits. For example, she was able to tell me that the horse I was on liked to lead and liked to trot through certain parts of the trail. She also told me he sometimes liked to tailgate, which was good information to know as I was then better able to (easily) coax him into staying a good several feet back from the horse in front of me.

The ride through the forest was lovely, and Jill again was very informed of the flora and able to tell us the names and characteristics of the plant life we saw. As she did this, she also kept a very good eye on the 9 riders behind her, evidenced when she noticed that a novice rider had lost a stirrup, so we stopped until the rider had her foot securely back in the stirrup. I am not sure how Jill so easily multi-tasked her duties as tour guide and still kept her eye on each mounted steed at the same time, but she did it well, making sure everyone stayed safe yet enjoyed the surroundings. She is obviously a long-time trail guide and her experience has made her very wise guiding a level of rider.

Best part of the ride was the ride on the beach, where Jill and her husband Paul together organized a photo shoot of each individual party. She used our own cameras and directed our poses on the beach without any extra charge. Paul took care of tending to the horses and riders who were not being shot at that time. I got about 8 photos on the beach taken by Jill!

I came away very happy with my experience. And, I was very happy that Jill had many riding helmets on hand for riders to borrow. I certainly will not ride without one, so I was grateful they were there and in good condition.

Thanks, Paul, Jill, and my lovely Sir Lancelot, for a fun, safe, interesting ride, and for being such lovely, warm people. If I every come this way again, I will return for another ride.

Star from Pa.

Visited December 2013
Hamden, Connecticut
“Really Great!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

The ride with Jill and her horses was relaxing, beautiful, and educational... one of the best days of our lives! We're planning to go back next spring. Riding with Jill and Paul is first on our fun to-do list! I recommend this ride to everyone who wants to enjoy St. Croix's natural wonders.
Mahfouz and Vicki Fadel

Visited May 2013
Berkshire
“Extremely Disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

While in St Croix, the only thing my niece wanted to do was go horse back riding. There are two places to choose from: Paul and Jills, or Equus. We decided to go with Paul & Jill's because of the reviews. We called to set up a time to go, and Jill answered. Boy was she peeved that we ere bothering her!!!!!!She told us how inconvenient it was that we wanted to ride and then we lost the call. When we called back to ask about a different day, Paul answered. When we said we had just called and relayed the conversation, he started yelling at Jill about not passing up the business. She got on the phone and went on and on about she had to buy dog food and run errands, but if she didn't accept our business her husband would be really mad and not give her the money she needed to run her errands, so even though it was inconvenient she would schedule our ride. We told her we had changed our minds and hung up. She actually called us back and started begging us to come and ride or she would get yelled at by her husband for losing he income!!!!! Seriously?!??!?!?!

We ended up calling Equus and scheduling our ride and it was FANTASTIC. The ladies who led it were great, the customer skills were awesome and I would recommend Equus over Paul & Jill's emphatically. I work in customer service, and I know bad service - it is Paul & Jill's!!!

Visited July 2013