“gave me an attitude nothing was cheaper than 499. It endher chasing me and my wife down saying she could not read her name. That” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in St. Croix
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2011

Awful thanks to pearl at the front desk. she made us feel unimportant at the check-in, what an unfriendly lady. We should have left right there. The rooms are dated and stink like old socks. The beach is nice but the food is the worst I've had out here. I left without staying....what a rip-off!!! Stay far, far away!

• Stayed March 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Burlington, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

Was nervous to commit after reading a mixed bag of reviews but have to say we had a delightful experience at the Renaissance. We were in a newly renovated room ( a must for anyone staying there) that accommodated my family perfectly, kitchenette for quick meals, lanai for space for teenagers ( my oldest slept out there) and friendly service twice a day. Pool was beautiful, beach space large enough to find privacy. Restaurant was expensive, but so was everywhere else we ate including purchases at the local grocery store. We would happily return!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

We ( my husband 7year old daughter, and myself) were at the Renaissance Carambola for school February vacation week (Feb 19th to 26th). We had a wonderful time.
We had an upgraded room from the 2nd night on. There was a mixup with our reservation, and for the first night, we were in a non-renovated room. The un-renovated room did have an updated bed and updated cushions in the screen porch, and the room was very clean. We would have been fine staying here all week, but when the upgraded room became available, my husband called me to come up from the pool and said "you have to see this room". He was right, the updated rooms are beautiful.
Our daughter had a great time in the pool, playing with other kids. We wanted to sight see, and she just wanted to swim! She also loved the beautiful beach, but the surf was quite strong, so it was the pool for us most of the week.
We loved the Friday Night Pirate's buffet- prime rib and snow crab legs were among some of our favorites in the buffet- with the Mombo Jukies (sp) show. Everyone had a great time. After the show, there was dancing to the DJ until about 10:30. Great time had by all.
We had a car- which I think is a must- so we were able to get about to the restaurants that were recommended here on TripAdvisor. We loved eat@Cane Bay, incredible lobster eggs benedict. Rowdy Joe's was really great and had unique food, and Off the Wall was good.
We took the hike to the tidal pools, and they are so beautiful! Well worth the 1 hour hike. Our 7 year old had not problem with the hike. I would recommend getting the map from the front desk. There are some places where you could go wrong, and the map helped immensely.
There were renovations going on while we were there, and we heard there would be none until the next dispersement of the refurbishing loan was released- and we heard that would be soon.
I do believe that once all of the rooms are renovated, there will be nothing but positive reviews. The location is amazing.

Thanks Carambola for a great vacation.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2011

The hotel is the worst place I have ever stayed. I would not recommend anyone stay here. My husband booked this hotel for a work trip and I decided to tag along. The lobby was very nice and looked recently renovated, but every other part of the property looked like it had been deserted and left to rot for the past 10 years. Our room was old, dingy and dirty. The first thing I noticed as we entered was a dead roach, the couch was filthy and torn, and the floor was so gross that I didn't take my shoes off the entire time we were there. The shower and ceilings were covered in mold, the sink was cracked and the fixtures look like they have never been updated. This hotel also does not have windows or a front door, it is an "open air" theme, which seems nice but its essentially a hotel with no walls, so you can hear everything and there is no privacy. I was awaken every morning at 7:30 by trucks, dump trucks, and construction workers surrounding our room while they were working on the sidewalk and the surrounding buildings. I complained to management about the noise and workers and they did nothing but apolojize for the noise. This was not a relaxing environment to say the least. The food at the restaurant was expensive and terrible, with a very limited selection. This was the worst hotel I ever stayed at

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Plainfield, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

I spent over 3 months (100+ nights in all) at the Renaissance Carambola, so I’ll try to share all the details of the good and bad at this hotel in this review. To start, I must say I believe it to be the BEST “normal” hotel/resort you can book on St. Croix – normal meaning high end exec condos charging thousands per night, like the Blue Vista Villas, not inclusive. But compared to the other hotels & resorts on the Island, which I have either stayed at myself or am very familiar with (The Palms, The Buccaneer, Tamarind Reef, Divi Carina Bay, etc) I think the Carambola is far and away the best. That is why I chose to spend the bulk of my stay right here, and I absolutely recommend it to anyone planning a visit to St Croix.

The location/environment of the hotel is its best feature. It is set away within the small rainforest on the northwest section of the Island, isolated from most everything else; if you “want to get away from it all”, I couldn’t think of a better way to do it. The site is beautifully landscaped, very nice gardens, palm trees, etc with surrounding green rolling hills and, of course, a very nice beach along the north coast. A lot of the rooms – particularly buildings 1-5 and some of 6, have amazing views looking out across the sea past the rocky coastline. There is a wonderful hike from the hotel that goes up into the rainforest, and drops back down to a rocky beach and tide pools at Annaly Bay. Best hike on the Island, and the trail head is just past the tennis courts (which by the way are unusable for now, until they get around to rebuilding them). Some have concerns about the roads leading out here… its really not that bad. I made the drive hundreds of times, in and out every day, no problem – the roads are narrow of course and you have the crazy local drivers that tend to drive down the middle of the road, but stay slow & safe and keep to your side of the road, and you won’t have a problem. It’s not too far a drive out to get to town also; 20 minutes flat to the airport, maybe 25 to downtown Christiansted.

The rooms are a bit of a mixed bag – every one is different, sometimes exceedingly so. For starters, there are the renovated rooms, and the non-renovated rooms. Do NOT get a non-renovated room! They are old, broken, stale, grimy, lack hot water, and are just a bad experience overall. To be fair, I’ve stayed in much worse conditions – but for far less money (say, a $10 hostel abroad). Paying over $150 per night for a non-renovated room is simply not a good value here. They are in the process of re-doing all the rooms, but not yet there. Now, if you book this place as a Marriott, they are required to place you in one of the new rooms anyway – but if you book as the Carambola through Expedia or Priceline or one of those sites, you may end up unhappy unless you make sure it indicates “Studio” or “Ocean view Studio”, guaranteeing one of the renovated rooms.

Even among the renovated rooms, there are differences. They all have similar quality finishes and very nice beds, which are all up to Marriott quality and are very nice (granite, kitchenette with range and full size refrigerator, OTR microwave, great large tile flooring, down comforters, etc). However I found a few of the renovated buildings on the west side (building 7 and beyond) don’t have proper hot water, which many may find unpleasant. They also didn’t have working WiFi, and due to the angle of some of the rooms and cavernous design of the buildings, didn’t get a whole lot of natural sunlight – disappointing for a resort on the beach! Overall, buildings 1-5 are the best. Good hot water (for the most part), working internet and decent phone reception (ATT/GSM), good amount of light through the porch & windows. The items provided in the kitchens vary room-to-room (pots, pans, utensils, etc)… if you want to cook, just ask the front desk and they should be able to scrounge up some stuff for you to use.

There are some annoyances with the rooms. First, the bugs – ants aplenty and LOTS of cockroaches as well. Now, if you are looking for a completely bug-free environment, don’t come to the Caribbean. There will be bugs. Even still, cockroaches in a Renaissance-branded hotel are a bit surprising. They’re not everywhere mind you, and they definitely do treat for them (I would often wake up and find very large cockroaches dead in the corner of the room), but there are still quite a few running around that you will spot, including ones I’ve found in the kitchen drawers or the shower. The ants were a big problem during the rainy season; after any big rainfall a swarm of ants would enter my room through the screened porch and find their way up my bedside table, sometimes by the hundreds. Once there were so many swarming my room I had to call reception to send someone over and clean the whole thing up… but this problem is mostly gone now that the weather is dryer.

The restaurant is really terrific and really expensive – but then everything on the island is surprisingly expensive, so you can’t really be upset over the prices. I am a vegetarian and found nothing on the menu that wasn’t meat or fish, but found the hotel very accommodating about making me up something on request. Vegetarian pastas, black bean burgers, portabella sandwiches were all cooked up for me, and they were really quite good, especially considering they’re not part of the regular menu. Tells me the chefs are pretty capable… from what I heard from other guests, the entrees on the actual menu were wonderful as well, though the selection is not great. Cocktails from the bar menu were also excellent, and breakfast was again expensive and a bit limited in variety, but still good quality food. So the only complaint being prices, you’ll probably want to dine at the resort a few times to check it out, but there are some very good restaurants not too far away so don’t eat all your meals here. Off The Wall, Rowdy Joe’s, and Eat @ Cane Bay are great places just down the road, and there are many other great spots further along towards Christiansted worth checking out (Salud Bistro, Galangal just to name a couple).

Other services at the hotel are excellent – the concierge helped me book a couple excursions and I found their recommendations to be very useful. The kayaking trip with Virgin Kayak, recommended by the hotel, is absolutely the best on Island. I didn’t use the dive shop much but did rent a couple small things from there (boogie board to use on the beach) and they seemed very helpful and accommodating. The spa is also fantastic – got massages there which seemed very reasonably priced, as compared to everything else on Island – the entire spa is very well done and they seem to offer quite a range of things.

Service overall is quite good at the hotel, far better than what is typical for St Croix. Only had a problem a few times in my many nights here; one of the four attendants who work the gift shops is purely evil (watch out for her, she’s mean) and a couple of the restaurant employees seemed to get very upset every time I asked for vegetarian food (oh well). Other than that, everybody was very kind, accommodating and helpful, especially in reception. Everything is still very slow of course (check in, check out, restaurant, room service, etc)… but you shouldn’t expect anything more here, it’s the Caribbean. It was difficult at times as I was here on business, so often had very little time to eat or come and go – but you learn to either allow enough time, or not bother at all (if you don’t have an hour for breakfast, don’t bother). If you’re on vacation… you should be in no hurry.

The only other thing to add is that they will mess up your Marriott points earnings EVERY SINGLE TIME. It’s remarkable… after each and every stay I completed during my 3 months here, I had to contact Marriott with a missing stay request because I got no points at all, or to correct dates/points because they screwed something up. All in all, they definitely need to continue working to reach the Marriott Renaissance quality status you'd expect from the name, but a fantastic choice nonetheless if you find yourself on St. Croix for any amount of time.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

We just returned from a one week stay at the Renaissance Carambola Beach Resort. This was a return trip for us. We absolutely love the location of the resort. Upon arrival, we were warmly welcomed and then were updated to one of the newly renovated rooms. The screened-in porch is wonderful - a great place to sit and enjoy the beautiful gardens that surround every building. The entire staff is friendly and will attend to your every need. Our rental car had a tire that was very low on air - I made a call to the front desk and they immediately sent someone from maintenance to add some air to the tire. I wish I would have gotten his name - thank you for helping us!! We highly recommend a rental car so that you can explore the entire island. Thank you to the entire staff for your kindness and hospitality during our stay. We will return again!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2011

I stayed at the Carambola for a business trip, along with my family of 5. We were in one of the upgraded studio rooms. We had a wonderful time! The rooms are spacious - not fancy, but nice. I loved the screened-in patio, and slept out there every night. The full-size refrigerator was a plus!

The pool is beautiful - nothing like lounging around the pool with staff from the bar to come by and offer drinks. The beach was nice; part of it can't be swam in and the waves were rough, but lovely.

The punch and tea in the lobby were delicious. Service across the island was slow - island time mon!

The resort is in a rather remote area, and on-site dining is expensive and limited. Drive a short distance to the Off-the-Wall bar and restaurant at Cane Bay; eating at picnic tables on the beach was fun.

Plaza Extra was 15 minutes away for getting groceries; the store wasn't as clean as stateside grocery stores, but it had good selection at decent prices. Don't leave opened food in your room - ants were a problem for us. Gas cost 30 cents more per gallon than current prices where I live in the US.

Touring the Cruzan Rum Factory is a must!!! And for a nice dining experience, Salud Bistro in Christiansted.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Been to Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!