“A Tranquil Treasure” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 18 hotels in St. Croix
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A Tranquil Treasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

It's taken me a while to write this review, but only because I've been on Island Time since our stay at Carambola. Given this brutal winter, we booked a spontaneous New Years trip and decided on the US Virgin Islands as my passport recently expired (shame on me, I know). It also looked like the best options were a Flight & Hotel package I found for either Carambola or the Buccaneer. I'm glad we chose the Renaissance, though, as it lives up to the Marriott standards. We really just wanted a beach, palm trees, a little adventure, and a lot of sunshine...well, we got all of these and more on our fabulous 4-day stay!

From the moment we arrived, we felt at ease and more than welcome. We were greeted by Jackie at the front desk with a smile and rum punch, and check-in was very smooth. My luggage got stuck in St. Thomas as we had to take a Cape Air connection and rather than waste time going back to the airport, the receptionist was kind enough to send a car to retrieve my bag. This was an "above and beyond" gesture to me, and my bag was waiting in our room when we returned after a walk on the beach/dinner at the hotel bar. I had a zesty shrimp salad and my boyfriend had a burger (a cheeseburger in paradise is mandatory). There were two local cats running around the outdoor tables and some people were rolling their eyes or shooing them away, but we thought they were really sweet. It felt like we were in someone's home.

In terms of accommodations, we had a lower level suite on the right wing of the resort if you're facing the water (room 44, maybe?) and my absolute favorite feature was the screened-in porch with cozy patio couches overlooking the palm trees and Caribbean sea just a stone's throw from our door. As other reviewers have noted, you can literally hear the waves crashing and feel the cool Caribbean breeze at night. You could also hear the Coqui frogs - aptly named for their high pitched "coqui" mating call - and that is probably the only negative note of our entire stay as they would croak for HOURS at night, between 2 and 6am. Aside from this, we slept very well and could solve the problem by just closing the inner doors to the porch. Our room had all of the usual appliances, i.e. coffee area, fridge, plates, etc. My boyfriend was very excited about the two large flatscreens in the room to follow the NCAA bowl games, but in the end we really only watched TV one night. Also, the bathrooms are HUGE and gorgeous with granite, clean tub and tile, and a separate walk-in closet area to store our things.

To celebrate the new year and just being in the islands, we found ourselves at the hotel bar quite a bit, whether grabbing a bucket of Caribe beers for the beach or sipping a pina colada while the reggae band played at night. We only noticed one person taking drink orders on the beach one day, but since this isn't an all-inclusive, commercial type place, we didn't expect that. I have to thank the super sweet hostess, Kishuana, for going out of her way to check on us several times/share some tips on the history and culture of St. Croix. We ran into her at the Pirate Buffet, too - highly recommend booking the buffet as this weekly event is a blast and totally worth it! We met another fun couple staying at Carambola and did the buffet together, which wound up being a fabulous party. The seafood paella was delicious, but I think the music/dancing/men on stilts were my favorite memories of the night on the Saman Room patio. The patio was also a great spot for breakfast, overlooking that spectacular view.

A few additional tips:
1) Definitely recommend renting a car since this end of the island is a bit remote. We rented a Wrangler and went "off-roading" one day through the rainforest on Scenic Rd. (I do not recommend this drive unless you have a Wrangler or an ATV). It was actually really fun, but dangerous as we had no cell service and the roads are really dicey.
2) Part of the hike to the tidal pools is a steep incline, so just wear sneakers...and socks as you may encounter rainforest ants along the way. It's really lovely once you get to the rocky beach on the other end. We brought water, snacks, sunblock, and bug spray, which came in handy!
3) Check out Big Beard's Snorkel tours in Christiansted. The full day outing is $100/pp and the crew takes you to snorkel in an underwater National Park (Buck Island Reef) as well as an island for lunch where they grill burgers, dogs, and fish - bottomless rum punch and water, too!
4) Favorite off-resort restaurants were Off the Wall at Cane Bay for lunch and Rhythms at Rainbow Beach for sunset dinner. I also wanted to try Waves and EAT at Cane Bay - next time!

Room Tip: The second floor rooms have higher ceilings, but the first floor is a closer walk to the hammocks
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Nancy W, Director of Sales at Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Hello and thank you so much for your very detailed review. Sounds like you had some great adventures and that we were a perfect fit for what you were looking for. You mention our rooms as 'Suite", actually ALL our rooms are this same size and layout (And have 2 flatscreens!) They are really a 'wow' when you are expecting a regular sized hotel room.
I sometimes use ear plugs if I'm not interested in hearing the mating calls of the frogs...good news is it's seasonal!!

Thanks again for taking the time to write such a delightful review and I hope you will visit us again,

Warmly,
Nancy Williams
Director of Sales

507 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Grand Blanc, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

We booked the Carambola resort for our wedding which took place on 22Feb14.
Working with the coordinator, Ann Wienhiemer, was great and she and the resort went way over the top to make it a special event for us. We were married on the beach and had a beach dinner after the wedding. It was a small wedding with only my wife’s sister and cousin with us.
I cannot say enough about the Ann and how the staff treated us and the things they did to make the day a very special day.
We had ocean view, second floor room which I suggest due to the vaulted ceilings. Food was good, the sales staff, Ann and the Jackie at the front lobby where absolutely the best.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Anderson, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

St. Croix is one of those wonderful places where absolutely no one owns the beach. But to get to this beach, which our taxi driver took us to, you do have to enter through the Renaissance Resort. It was a beautiful beach with good snorkeling. My friends saw two turtles. Lots of scuba people. It is near the Wall in Cane Bay but west of there so it is not as deep. A tad rough. Probably not the best choice for children. Had a dive shop onsite so it was a good place to try that out. Maybe my next trip. The parts of the resort that I saw were lovely. Saw the staff setting up the wedding in the next review if it was 2/15/14.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

My daughter just got married at this resort. We had 100 guests, and 4 eating events all catered by the resort. Every event went PERFECTLY. I contribute this all to Sarah Novick with the help of Michael. The food was delicious , the staff was friendly and accommodating, the rooms were lovely and comfortable, and if there was a problem (which there were very few) it was handled immediately. I ordered the cake from Jen Jordan which was beautiful and unbelievably good. I rented chairs and other decorations from Reliable Rental and they even purchased the items for the wedding bags for me.

This hotel is a hidden gem. It is secluded, but that is what I liked about it, and all of the guests felt the same way. What could be better then everyone you love being on a beautiful beach, relaxing and celebrating?

I started planning this event 14 months ago, not realizing that the hotel was going through changes because they were not quite up to par with what is expected from a Renaissance hotel. By the time our weekend event started on February 13, 2014, the management was on the ball and they lived up to the Renaissance name and actually exceeded all my expectations.

It's never easy having a big destination wedding, but if you have someone like Sarah making sure that EVERYTHING is taken care of you, then you can sleep at night knowing that all your wedding dreams will come true.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Severna Park, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

The Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa on the northern shore of the island is a huge and beautiful resort with a gorgeous private beach and good amenities. The residences are in separate buildings with several large units in each; ours was a 2nd floor beachfront unit (in building 25) at the farthest end of the complex with a veranda that looked out on the beach (which was about 100 feet away), and a full kitchen. I heartily recommend going for beachfront, and 2nd floor gives you a better view, cathedral ceilings, and no footsteps from above.

The L-shaped room was great -- comfy king bed between a window and the beach-side veranda for a breezeway and the sound of the waves, a sleeper sofa, and two flat screen TVs, one in front of each. The kitchen was fully equipped with everything you might need including complimentary coffee and a coffee maker, and the veranda had built-in bench seating. The bathroom was lovely -- double sink with Kohler fixtures on a granite counter-top, and a large walk in shower with a tile bench. The large walk-in closet was a real plus.

Sprawling palm tree-covered grounds were well-maintained by-and-large, with a huge common area swimming pool, hot tub, on-campus dive shop, well-stocked gift and sundries shop, fair-to-middling if expensive restaurant and bar, tennis court and basketball hoop, and a small barely adequate fitness center. The resort-length sand beach is beautiful -- sand-bottomed the farther into the grounds you go, rock-bottomed closer to the main building. It makes for good snorkeling on-site. Lots of chaise-lounges to use, and a Captain Morgan rum bar set up on the beach after 12 noon to about 5 pm.

Overall, we were very pleased with the accommodations and the grounds, and would not hesitate to stay again on that basis.

Service, however, was somewhat wanting: Generally polite and pleasant staff, but slow and inefficient. Inexplicably there are no ice machines on the huge grounds, and each time we asked for ice to be delivered to our unit in a bag for storage in the freezer to complement our fridge's small ice maker, it either never came, or came long after we needed it. Same thing with the request for a light bulb replacement and extra towels -- it took forever. Perhaps because we were at the end of the grounds, housekeeping often didn't get to us until very late in the afternoon, once not until after 5 pm. The pool is open 24/7, but there are no towels at the pool after 5 pm; you have to go to reception to get them, and one night the sole duty clerk was less than happy to do so when I requested two towels.

House wireless service is spotty on the grounds; it works, but not everywhere. As to cell phone service, if you don't have AT&T, fuggedaboud it...but that applies to anywhere on the island. There is one desktop computer in reception to use for basic online searches and for finding and printing travel documents.

If you want to do anything more than stay on the resort grounds, you MUST have a rental car. The resort is at the very end of a narrow and winding road with no shoulder, and the closest "community" -- Cane Bay and its restaurants and bars -- is about 3 miles away. The towns of Christansted and Fredericksted are each about 8 very winding miles and 30 minutes' drive away. If you rent a vehicle, rent an SUV or Jeep as roads in the middle of the island are deeply pot-holed. And you MUST get a GPS, Street and road signs on most of the island are an oxymoron, and driving at night would be impossible without guidance. Nearest supermarkets to stock your kitchen are about 4 miles away.

All-in-all, despite our service nits, the resort was an excellent choice.

Room Tip: Beachfront unit, 2nd floor a must. We were in building 25 and were very happy with it despite the lo...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Denville, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

When you first approach The Carambola you will be on an elevated roadway overlooking the Caribbean Sea. As you go around a bend in the road, a majestic mountainside that drops directly into the sea comes into view and you begin to notice the tops of red roofs peaking through the trees just below. As the road begins to descend you are welcomed at the gate and feel as though you've arrived at the end of paradise. Everyone at this hotel is very polite, from the bellman, to the front desk, to the cleaning staff you pass along your way. Actually, most of St. Croix is very polite, so best to remember your "Good Mornings, Good Days and Good Evenings" whenever you cross paths with anyone local.

This resort is a nice blend of Danish and British West Indies design w/lots of dark mahogany wood and natural stone tile. The open air lobby is covered by a series of peaked roofs with dark wood pillars descending from them. A tiled path is under neither and leads through tropical gardens down toward the beach. On either side of this path are entranceways to the front desk, the spa, the gift shop, two restaurants, the bar and finally a pool to the left and beach a few steps below.

Our room was located on the east end of the property. A little further from the beach, but directly above a small rock outcropping overhanging the sea. When we opened the doors to our private, screened in balcony, the ocean view was fabulous and the waves were crashing immediately below. Since we are not big A/C fans and since St. Croix has an average yearly temperature of 82 degrees, we turned the A/C off and spent our week with the louvered doors open, allowing the Caribbean breeze and the sound of rustling palms and crashing waves to come in (btw - while on island, we learned that electricity is 5x more expensive in St. Croix then on the continental US, so whenever possible please consider saving a watt on this environmentally-conscious island). This trip was a romantic getaway for my husband and myself; however, a family with smaller or older children will enjoy having these balconies that double as an extra open-air room. They would make great enclosed play spaces for attended younger ones and teens will have a little space to lounge and text away. Our bathroom was very spacious, clean and well appointed. It included a walk-in closet large enough for us to fully unpack and hide our suitcases. Beach towels, robes, even umbrellas awaited us. The shower was large, bright with a vaulted ceiling. The room also included a sitting area, small kitchen (which we only used to make a few of our own Caribbean cocktails) and a desk area.

On our first night at the resort we stayed on site for dinner . While enjoying our meal outside The Flamboyant Bar, a band played a mix of Reggae and Calypso just outside the Saman Restaurant. As we finished, we overheard an announcement that a show was about to start. With drinks in hand we walked over and were surprised by an electrifying show of music and Mocko Jumbie dancers. These costumed Mocko Jumbies dance, jump and contort while standing on stilts. Children and adults were encouraged to approach, participate and take photos. Tipping is politely encouraged and well earned. The show was a great introduction to Crucian culture, lots of fun and should not be missed by young or old. Attendees are encouraged to make reservations for the proceeding buffet dinner, but eating from the menu at the bar did not prevent us from joining. My understanding is that this show only takes place on Fridays.

This hotel also boasts its own Dive Center called Sweet Bottom. Staying for 5+ days? Consider getting certified at this perfect location. The waters off the Carambola are great for both snorkeling and diving. Any gear you could need for either activity can be rented here. I'm 45+ and have been certified for only 2 years. It's one of the best decisions I've ever made. Our teen daughters and my husband have been certified longer and words can not express how wonderful it has been to finally join them under the sea.

Finally, the grounds of the Carambola are beautifully manicured, spacious and teaming with nature. The property is home to a variety of birds, mongoose, geckos and the occasional iguana. The pool is a nice size, is surrounded by lounge chairs with views of the surrounding hills on three sides and the ocean on the other. The beach spans 2/3 of the property and has a number of units overlooking it on the west end of the resort. Kicking back with a drink at sunset is a perfect way to close out the day. You will also find hammocks tucked along the beach and in a variety of quiet spaces around the property.

Room Tip: If you would like to feel "one with the ocean" (hearing waves crash softly below your balc...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Nancy W, Director of Sales at Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 15, 2014
What a beautifully written and descriptive review! You paint the perfect picture of the resort. Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us how much you enjoyed the beauty of our unique beachfront location. We are truly lucky to be able to offer our guests such an unspoiled vacation expereince. I truly hope you will return to visit us again!

Warmly,
Nancy William
Director of Sales
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

We chose Carambola specifically because of its isolation. Location is ideal: on the quiet North Shore and right on the water. The view of the green mountains as your backdrop is out of this world. The entire resort is relaxing, laid back and has a calming effect. I’ll give you a good example: during our stay construction was performed intermittently around the pool area. At first, I was irritated about the noise and the fact that this was high season and any work should be done off season. I was about to complain to management regarding this “major inconvenience”. Then the calming effect took place: we simply left the pool area and found 2 very comfortable chaise lounges on the beach. Problem solved. No hassle. No worries. (Maybe they spike the food and water with Valium)

As for the rooms, we booked an oceanfront 2nd floor unit. Very spacious, clean, huge bathroom and shower, full kitchen, 1 cup coffeemaker, 2 plasma TV’s, walk in closet, comfortable king bed, and that much talked-about screened in porch. Nice having the crashing waves of the ocean as your background music. In hindsight, we should have stopped at Plaza Extra on our way to the resort and stocked up on food and snack items because of the extensive kitchen facilities. You could easily make breakfast and lunch (maybe even dinner) if you’re pinching pennies or not in the mood to dine out. Daily maid service is provided.

The grounds were meticulously maintained. Pool and hot tub area a great place to relax (when construction was not being done). Beach was also very beautiful – plenty of chaise lounges available. Also plenty of beach towels available at all times contrary to some reviews. It rained from time to time, but the showers were brief Hawaiian style.

We ate at the Flamboyant Bar the first night we were there and had a good, not great, meal - but that was what we expected and were not disappointed at all. Drinks were well made and potent (see picture of drink menu). We also had breakfast and most lunches on site. Breakfast was menu or buffet – the buffet was about $23, but included many items and made-to-order egg dishes. Lunch was more burger and fries pub grub but very good. ALL wait staff during our stay were friendly and efficient. I must mention that contrary to some reviews, meals didn’t take forever to reach the table – definitely not slow at all. We had a rental car and took the short drive to Eat@CaneBay and a longer drive the Kendrick’s in Christiansted. As others have mentioned, most roads in St Croix are in pretty bad shape and signs are almost nonexistent. Getting lost is very easy and we did it a bunch of times.

The Friday night Pirate’s Buffet at Carambola was a treat – entertaining fire dancers, Mocko Jumbo dancers and full dinner buffet was worth the price.

Bottom line – Carambola is a great place to unwind and chill out in a gorgeous atmosphere. It’s not for party people and is not especially kid friendly, but that’s the reason we chose it. Friendly staff from check-in to check-out. We had a great time and would return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!