“Great place to relax quietly.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
30% Off in Paradise
Ranked #3 of 18 hotels in St. Croix
Chicago, Illinois
“Great place to relax quietly.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

I've been here for 3 days so far and u really do love it. I truly don't understand where people are getting the rude staff from, I've had no problems. Sometimes they take a little bit longer than normal but as my father once said "if they (the natives of st croix) sense you are inpatient, they will make you wait longer. Yes there are cats and mongooses but it adds to the Caribbean experience. People say the islands dirty, well welcome to the Caribbean. Everyone is nice and welcoming. Foods a little pricy, but other than that everything is wonderful, peaceful, and great!

Room Tip: All rooms are nice, within a minute of walking distance of the beach!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Nancy W, Director of Sales at Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. It becomes very clear when you read the variety of reviews we receive that peoples expectations, perceptions and travel experience play a big part in their perception and opinions of their experience. So thank you for your very nice review!
Happy New Year,

483 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

If you want to get away from everything then this is a great resort as it has everything you could want in a Caribbean destination. If you like more action then look elsewhere. There is music nightly with Pirate night on Fridays that feature Kiki and the gypsy fire dancers and the Moko Jumbies (local stilt dancers) The big buffet is also served on Friday night and it's descent but expensive. This seemed to be the time when the resort was most crowded.

Hotel property is laid out well and most rooms are a short walk to beach, pool, bar, spa, dive shop. Beachfront, ocean view and deluxe rooms all have kitchens and if you are staying more than a few days it is worth it to get one of them and stop at the grocery store as the food is very expensive. Also recommend a car if you are staying more than a couple of days.

Overall we loved the property, the rooms - we were in a beachfront - and the beach. You could always find a chair at the pool or beach. It never seemed crowded anywhere we went. Rooms are large and fully appointed with extra linens and kitchen needs. Sleeping porch was awesome and we spent a lot of time on it when we were in the room. We also had free wi-fi the entire 10 days. TV reception was sporadic since it is satellite and there are daily storms that blow through.

Spa is small but nice and average priced for this type of resort. Service is good in the spa.

Service is not good in the restaurant though. Prices are hefty, food is average but the table service once you get your food is poor, to say the least. We had the holiday pre-fixed dinner for Christmas and waited over an hour for dessert, which we asked about twice. It was a big disappointment. We were glad we had a car and had been to the grocery store for all out other meals.

Sweet Bottom Dive shop is awesome! They made our vacation that much better. If you are a diver or interested in diving learn from this shop. Prices are very reasonable.

We will return because it offers us what we like and can live without the food and poor service in the restaurant.

Room Tip: Beach front rooms are really the best in our opinion but know you always hear the surf.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Happy Neew Year and thank you very much for taking the time to post such a nice review! We are very proud of our unique unspoiled resort and we love to hear that our guests enjoyed their stay and appreciated the beautiful environment we are blessed with.
Warm regards,
DOS
Chesapeake
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

Stayed in St. Croix just before Thanksgiving at the Renaissance Carambola. Located on the north side of the island, you reach the resort from the airport by crossing a narrow, twisting road over the mountain ridge (or by the twisting coast road from Christiansted). While really only 20 minutes from Centerline Road and a few more from Christiansted, the resort feels like a world apart. Situated in a beautiful valley along the north shore with its own secluded beach, the resort is a peaceful retreat from the hectic world.

We got upgraded to an oceanfront room. It was spacious, clean and nicely laid out. It had a kitchenette with a fridge, oven, plates, pots, etc., including tea, coffee, sugar, and creamers. (We stocked up on supplies at Plaza Extra grocery on Centerline Road, aka Queen Mary Highway). The screened in balcony perfect for relaxing, reading, and watching the surf. One of the resort's cats routinely hung out in front of our unit, greeting us on our return.

We ate several times at the resort's restaurant. The menu was typical island pricey but the food was quite good, a meal worth paying for. Nice fresh salads, fresh bread rolls; all the dishes were tasty from their well made burger to their delicious red snapper. The service was usually quite good.

Stretching to the west from the resort are undeveloped sea cliffs bedecked by the island's 'rain forest'. I did explore a bit into this forest along the Tidal Pool Trail that starts at the far west end of the resort. There were disappointingly few birds at the resort, probably due to the non-native cats and mongoose that roam the island, although I did spot a Bridled Quail Dove. Up on the ridge line, the intriguing Scenic Road traverses this expanse of the island, but the road looked too rough for my little rental car.

Discovered good snorkeling around the edge of the cliff on the left side of the beach, about 20 yards off the cliff, with some excellent coral outcroppings and a variety of fish. Do beware of currents. There was also some good, if widely dispersed, snorkeling directly in front of the beach. The visibility extremely variable - one day we had good visibility in front of beach, the next day we could barely see 2 feet.

Overall, the place was quite enjoyable.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello and thank you so much for the wonderful review you posted about your stay in St. Croix and your stay at the Renaissance. As you mentioned we are in a secluded location, but only about a 10 minute drive from shopping options and attractions. I hope you will consider another visit to the resort. Please reach out to me and I will be happy to assist you!

Warm regards and Happy New Year!
Nashville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

My husband and I planned to vacation here for several months and after reading wonderful reviews of the property, we were confident that we would have nothing but the best! When we arrived they young gentlemen helped us with our suitcases. This would have been great, but he left them for approximately 45 minutes while we checked in. Not cool! I was shocked to have read hardly any reviews on the cats that lurk around your dinner table begging for food and none of the staff caring at all. Also, shocked of the lack of animal control all around! After our first dinner with the stray cats, that the server openly told us that they have a huge cat problem, the next morning there was a mongoose on the breakfast table. Our server saw it on there and only took the bread plate off and nothing else that it totally touched! Only a few minutes after that, a couple came and are breakfast there. Following our witness to the breakfast mongoose, I was about 75 percent done with my breakfast when I found a black hair. They kindly removed my fruit plate from our bill. The service overall is not good. The first night we had to find our server for the bill and when we finally did, she told us that she was fighting with the kitchen.

I should mention that we are platinum Marriott guests, so are huge fans of Marriott. The property is not well kept at all, the only thing that is beautiful is the view of the ocean which has nothing to do with the hotel keeping it up. We took the next flight out of there to Puerto Rico where we are now and so glad we got out of there. The island is dirty, people are lazy and I can confidently say that I never want to return to St. Croix again.

I apologize for being negative, but truly the entire experience was legally bad. If you like to work out, which my husband and I do, the gym is not nice at all.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Nancy W, Director of Sales at Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Hello,
Thank you very much for sharing your comments on your recent visit to the island. Obviously we were not a good fit for you and I hope you enjoyed the rest of your vacation in Puerto Rico.

I do want to address a few of your concerns. The good news is that we are on 28 very unspoiled natural acres at the base of a rain forest. However being in such a natural setting there are certainly going to be 'critters' living there. Most of the many Caribbean islands I've visited do have to handle issues with stray animals and we do try to take care of them in a humane manner to coax them off the property or find them a home when we do find them annoying our guests. The mongoose popular has been in the US Virgin Islands for many many years and we do generally live in peaceful coexistence with them. I'm sorry you encountered a few that were misbehaving. I do have to tell you that most our guests and I would holdheartedly agree, that St. Croix is one of the cleanest and most pristine islands I've experienced in the Caribbean and I've been to most of them many times. Anyway, we do appreciate your comments and I hope you enjoy a Happy New Year.
texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

The resort is right on the beach with large rooms. My room was fully equipped with a refridgerator, stove, microwave and dishes. The rooms are very large, more like a suite and very large bathroom and private balcony. The beds are so comfortable. I was truly impressed with the elegance of the decor and the spacious quarters. This is one of the best hotels on the island and I highly recommend it. The service was excellent!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Nancy W, Director of Sales at Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Hello,
Happy Holidays and thank you for posting such a nice review! Very glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and yes, our guest rooms really are more like suites. I hope you plan on returning soon!
Happy New Year,
Lakewood, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Echoing comments of others...I'm actually staying at the resort right now as well, and am astounded at the attitude of the staff overall. With a couple of exceptions, the general thinking seems to be a disdain or apathy for the tourists staying here. It's also a place fraught with issues: Locks on the doors don't work, ordering food or drinks is a task only for the most patient (I've traveled extensively in the Caribbean and fully understand "island time," but St. Croix takes it to an entirely differently level), getting anyone to provide an assist is a fruitless endeavor and there just isn't an overall sense of professionalism or polish about the resort. The location is spectacular - tucked next to a mountain, with a long stretch of picturesque beach - but the other amenities that one would align with a top-notch resort are sorely lacking. It doesn't feel well run, it certainly doesn't seem like staff are adequately trained or have a service-first mentality and it completely lacks the feel of "how can we help make your stay a terrific experience?" mindset prevalent in other places (including the Buccaneer, also on the island). It's a shame, because it really is a gorgeous spot, but I'd be very hesitant to recommend it to anyone interested in a great vacation experience.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello,
I read your review and have discussed it with our managment team. It's very upsetting that you did not receive excellent service from our staff. We generally get excellent feedback from our guests, but we clearly fell short of expectations and for this I apologise. Our training is on-going and there is no excuse for not providing a high level of service to all our guests. We take your feedback seriously and thank you for taking the time to let us know of your experience. As you mentioned in your review we are located in a magnificent beachfront setting at the base of a rainforest. Should you have any interest in visiting us again, pls. contact me and I will personally assist you with your stay. Wishing you a Happy New Year,

NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

I am still here at the resort- have been here 5 days. Am also a Marriott gold member- I love their properties. That said, the overall attitude of the staff here is "we don't care." Of course there are some friendly, helpful individuals on staff, but they represent the minority. I checked in Sunday eve and asked about a concierge to make dinner reservation, was told she comes in 8:30 am tomorrow. Went back next day, told "she didn't come in." Front desk staff offered to make res for me- I gave her a few $ and thanked her. Never heard from her again; went back next day and was told "she's not in today." TV was out 2 days- called front desk, woman advises she will "look into it" and "call you back in a few minutes." 3 1/2 hours later I start calling front desk again- took half hour before someone would answer the phone. This morning the TV is back on, but not a word from the staff.

I paid a premium for a beachfront room, for easy access to the beach. If I want a towel on the beach at 8:30am, I have to walk up to the registration desk in the front of the resort to get it.

I had far better service at a Fairfield Suites 2 weeks ago, at a fraction of the cost, and thankfully I will be a the Marriott in Aruba in a few weeks- where they truly provide excellent service.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Hello Dr. David,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your less than stellar visit to our resort. We normally enjoy excellent feedback from our guests. I want to apologize from our entire staff for clearly falling short of your expectations. Your requests should have been followed up properly and quickly. We are following up and will do our best to quickly rectify the situation you experienced with our staff. I hope you have a wonderul time when visiting other Marriott and Renaissance properties. If you decide to give us another visit, pls reach out to me and I will be happy to assist you personally.
Wishing you a happy holiday and new year,
nwilliams@carambolabeach.com

Been to Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!