“Wonderful place to relax in a peaceful environment.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
30% Off in Paradise
Ranked #3 of 18 hotels in St. Croix
Washington DC
“Wonderful place to relax in a peaceful environment.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

The Carambola Resort was wonderful. We arrived and the staff took care of us and got us into a nice room. There was construction going on in the unit next door and the crew was loud, we notified the front desk staff and the problem was quickly fixed and no more loud people for the rest of our stay. The resort is far (10 miles/20 minutes) from town and a rental car is handy. There are good restaurants nearby, Waves of Cane Bay and the Pirates Tavern. The beach access is very nice. There is a trail at the back of the resort that takes you to a group of tide pools, it is a good hike and will take 45 minutes. The pool and hot tub are clean and pleasant.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

487 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

I'll preface this by saying I visited this site (November 2013) in hopes of hosting a retreat there for women. I'm a native to the island but no longer live here. I've been planning events for over 10 years and I have done island retreats before.

Now, my issue was that the staff that showed us the property did absolutely nothing to encourage us to book with the resort. They showed us meeting rooms, sleeping rooms and the beach in a very matter of fact way- no excitement at all. They didn't offer to show us any of the amenities. I left not knowing they had a spa on property. They didn't know the sleeping room pricing and the information they provided did not give me any real information on the property. The beach was nice. The rooms had cool closed in patios. We weren't offered a complimentary drink (not even water) and found the drinks at the bar quite expensive. We visited 2 other properties in St. Croix while we were there and found the service much better and won't be hosting our event at Carambola. I hope the staff use this review as an opportunity to improve this service.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Cranston, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

We went to this resort on a Living Social special and I thought that because of the great deal we got we would be given one of the lesser rooms in the back of the hotel. We were in for a very pleasant surprise! We had a ground floor beach front suite, literally beach front (262). Out the door, toes in the sand. It had a large screened in porch facing the beach. Full size fridge, stove top, sink, microwave and a full compliment of dishes, pans, utensils, etc. in case you wanted to cook in your room. The resort has gone through an extensive facelift (not quite finished but almost) and the rooms are beautiful and well appointed. From the time we registered and received our complimentary rum drinks to the time we checked out we were treated like any guest that had paid full price for their best room.

Only one of the two restaurants was open, but they had both menus available so the food choices were from burgers and wings to gourmet plates, and the food was very good. We had three superb bartenders, Bernard, Mark and James. Bernard is very knowledgeable about the islands and his information helped us with our decisions about what to visit on the island. James is a true foodie and was a wealth of information about the best local places to eat. We hit almost every one he told us not to miss and we couldn't have been happier! Mark makes a great drink and no one left his bar disappointed. The staff in general was extremely courteous and helpful. The prices for food, drinks and convenience store items were no worse than what we pay here in New England which was a pleasant surprise. No gauging! The convenience store on premises had everything you could think of from snacks to jewelry.

I will say this is not a resort for kids. First, its a very quiet resort without all of the water sports and other amenities that you would find at a full resort. Next, the north shore of the island has pretty rough waves along with undertows. High surf. This is strictly a go to relax hotel with a beach. If you want to do anything other than lay on the beach you need to leave the hotel. We rented a car and drove around the island which was easy enough to do even though they drive on the left side of the road. US cars. Don't let the map fool you, Fredericksted and Christiansted are each less than a 30 minute drive from the hotel so they are easy to get to.

The only downside I can even find to mention is that there is only one bar and it is quite a distance from one end of the beach, and only in the last couple of days of our stay did we finally see someone from the hotel come down to the beach to take drink orders, and even then, we only saw him once one day and a couple of times another day spread far apart. If you like your drinks steady and you are at that end of the beach you will have to make the trek to the bar. That and the fact that they are still in the process of completing their renovations, although I have to say we didn't experience any noise whatsoever, nor were we inconvenienced in any way. They were working in areas that did not have guests and there was no loud machinery or workers. It didn't impact us in any way.

We will definitely return to this hotel, our stay was a pleasure.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for the beach front rooms down at the end in the 25 or 26 building. Nice and quiet an...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

I just got back from a week at the Carambola and I'm already wanting to go back! Our island view deluxe room (room 137) was on the second floor and had vaulted ceilings and a peakaboo view of the ocean. The bathroom was huge and having a kitchenette was really nice. My boyfriend and I spent a lot of time on the porch at night, reading and listening to the waves. It was so relaxing! The staff we encountered during our stay were so helpful and friendly especially Olivier and Pearl at the front desk, the bellhop who drove the golf cart whose name I forgot, and Mandy in the Flamboyant Beach Bar. We found that the staff (and locals) were welcoming and in a sincere way, not phony at all.
The Carambola's location is remote so you will ABSOLUTELY need a rental car when staying there. Having a car will allow you to eat meals at the fantastic restaurants in Cane Bay, which is a 5-10 minute drive from the resort. Plus there is so much to see on the island!
The beach is gorgeous and the water was calm enough to go in and swim around. We saw people with boogie boards which I assume they rented from the dive shop on site.

Minor complaints: I wish housekeeping came a little earlier. Sometimes our room wasn't cleaned until the afternoon. There was some construction noise- it appeared they were renovating some of the rooms. I wish there was more light in the shower, it was a little dark.

Room Tip: ask for 2nd floor room when checking in.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

Me and my now Fiancé, stayed our thanksgiving week here & I have to say it is a beautiful place! But there were SO many things wrong that we will never go back!

1- upon checking in we were charged $1300 (even though we paid in full prior to the trip) because their information was wrong! We spent our first evening there on the phone with Chase bank fixing the issue & they "ran" out of all their welcome drinks.

2- Tide Pool Hike- don't ever so this hike!!! We are very athletic people and this is for experienced people only. I had mud and ants ALL over me! It was so bad we didn't even make it there, we turned around!

3- there is NO ENTERTAINMENT at this resort AT ALL. No live music, no activities, and their bar closes at 11! And nothing opens until 10 am!! There isn't anyone to bring you drinks to the beach or pool, so you have to walk up to the bar each time (&its a hike sometimes) It was such a boring stay we had to take taxis everywhere & that got ridiculously expensive.

4- the front desk ladies are highly incompetent! We TRIED to get reservations for dinner, taxi reservations, reservations for boat rides and reservations for kayak tours. Every time we asked she said "yes, we are good to go" AND EVERY FREAKING TIME we NEVER had reservations & taxis would always have to be called!!

5- the "noseeums" on the beach. They're basically beach fleas! Sting you like a mosquito but look like a flea! By the time I was home I was COVERED in bug bites and they itch like crazy!!!

6- The Staff. They Literally act like they hate all vacationers. Most of the local people seem very racist (against whites) and act like we are idiots! We asked if we could change the music at the bar (it was always on Christmas music or classical?)
And the bartender replied "yeah we can change it to jimmy buffet, but it makes me wanna blow my head off.." WTF??? It's the Carribean!! The staff doesn't care how much you paid for you're stay, they hate you being there.

This property is incredibly beautiful, but after going through one thing, after another, and another I will never go back!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Nancy W, Director of Sales at Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Your review was quite shocking and after discussing it with our mangement team we would only like to respond to number 6 on your list of items. We take great exception to your shocking comment that our staff are racist and hate white people. This could not be farther from the truth. Our staff interacts with guests from all over the globe and are consistently welcoming and warm. Based on the tone of your comments, maybe the reactions you received were based on how you treated our staff.

Obviously we were not a good fit for you and your fiance. We pride ourselves on our pristine, lush location at the base of a rainforest and generally receive outstanding reviews and a very high rate of return guests.
Belgrade, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

First let me say that I base my review on usually staying at high end resorts (Ritz Carlton ad JW Marriotts preferred), so I was vastly dissapointed iwth the Marriot Frenchmans Reef last year. This year we took another chance, and it paid huge dividends. this resort is far from perfect, but I will say it is a real gem if you are looking for a laid back resort with fabulous views, solid accomodations and fabulous staff. First, the location is VERY remote, so if you like peaceful, quiet and remote this is your place. Second, the staff is phenominal (Shout out to Pablo in the restaurant -- a great guy --terrific staffer). We never needed for any answers, and the staff was continuously asking if they could help. Third, the room. I am always suspect of rooms (even with photos) and while it did show some signs of wear, it was 90% great. High celings, solid furniture and huge bathroom with a good sized screened porch with benches to lay and read. The buildings are segmented in pods of 6--the buildings are not glamorous, but the room decor was a solid 7 out of 10. My only complaint was the floor which showed soe real wear, but not enough to be a bother. Fourth, the beach is long and clean with breathtaking views and plenty of lounge chairs. Again, the ammenities were "good", would have liked to maybe see some paddle boards or kayaks but otherwise, good area. Lastly, the food. We ate at the hotel at least once a day and never had a bad meal. Specifically, the Mahi in the evening and the beat and carrots salad-both were outstanding! Overall, I would rate this place a 4 out of 5 and would definately come back--just know that it is very remote, as in 3-4 miles from any other place and a good 20 minutes + to either city.

Room Tip: The beachfront rooms are great they have small kitchens (we went ot hte local store and bought break...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Nancy W, Director of Sales at Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Sounds like YOU'RE a real Gem! Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review. Everyones perception is subjective and it sounds like we were a good fit for you and what you were looking for. I hope you will visit us again!

Warm regards and Happy New Year!
Nancy Williams
Director of Sales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

We stayed in one of the rooms toward the west end of the beach with a view of the ocean. The rooms are spacious and we loved the screened in porch. While being at the end resulted in a walk back to the restaurant, we were only steps away from the swimming area of the beach. The service was outstanding. We would definitely like to return.

This was our first time to St. Croix although we've been to the other Virgin Islands. St. Croix was charming and less commercial than St. Thomas. The resort is on the North side of the island and a little bit away from the little town of Christiansted. We decided to rent a jeep and were very happy that we did. It made getting around to the various activities easy. The Cruzan rum factory, downtown Christiansted, snorkeling Buck Island, and Rowdy Joe's restaurant are all must dos.

The room has a kitchen area and we bought some food from a food store and made our own breakfast just as a break from the same restaurant every day, but the onsite restaurant is very good as well. We ate there quite a few times.

A very relaxing and enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: The west end of the beach is where the swimming are is. If you plan to swim / snorkel off the beach...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!