“Beautiful hotel & nice staff.” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Resort   |   PO Box 3031- Kings Hill, 00851, St. Croix   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #3 of 18 hotels in St. Croix
Christiansted
“Beautiful hotel & nice staff.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Everytime i've visited Carambola it was a great experience! I come to the beach often and sometimes will hike up to the tide pools. I stayed here for fun one night with some friends and we had a great time and the hotel rates weren't too bad. We had fun on the beach, the rooms are really nice and even when I was leaving (i misplaced my keys) a bell boy drove me and my boyfriend around on the golf kart in the dark trying to find my keys with me. We found them in the sand. This is definitely one of the most romantic hotels on island and the staff is always really nice! OH, and make sure to try the carambola crush. :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

424 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Highly recommended, The food is good, especially the snow crabs-all you can eat, then the Moko Jumbies and Music is an added bonus. Reserve ASAP and enjoy.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I spent a five days in early August, traveling solo, at the Renaissance St. Croix, and couldn't have been happier with my decision to stay at the resort. I've read dozens of reviews on Trip Advisor and to some extent agree with them all, but will share my experience

Upon checking-in, I was taken to building 5 on the east side of the property and stayed in a lower-level unit. The room was clean and well-maintained, the bed large and comfortable, the washroom well-appointed. Like all units, there was a large screened-in porch in close proximity to the beautiful bay. The room was air-conditioned, but also exposed to the elements via wood slats on the doors and windows... I found the temperature perfectly balanced: I was never uncomfortable, but also never felt like I was on the fifteenth floor of a concrete ecosystem - I felt like part of the island (one night I actually found a crab trying to fight through the door slats... if this sounds scary instead of charming, the resort may not be for you).

From reading earlier reviews, I was hyper-aware of possible maintenance problems, but had to search for them in my unit. One corner of the bathroom door was somewhat worn, the couch may have seen better days, the ceiling fan on the porch as well as the screen itself could use some repair - but the resort has one foot in a rain forest and the other on a beach, and I can only imagine the constant maintenance required. If you are looking for perfection, you'll need to leave the room, walk a hundred feet, and sit on the beach... if you want a comfortable retreat, it is wonderful.

The beach is amazing, picturesque - there's not much more to say than that. The east side is rocky and great for photos (the waves were impressive!); the west side - soft sand, crystal clear water, and some reef outcroppings for scuba and snorkeling. The pool itself was pretty standard, but very well-maintained with fantastic lounge furniture... I found myself spending more and more time at the pool because of that (How often is that noteworthy? It's seriously great.)

The dining options were very limited because of the low season - it was basically breakfast, then lunch and dinner at the pool bar. I was initially disappointed with the lack of options, but it ended up motivating me to go off-property, which was good for me. I was actually exploring the island most days during breakfast hours, but did have lunch each day at the Flamboyant Bar. The food was very good - I tried all the sandwiches (fries are great too) - but need to give special mention to the bartender Mark, who was around for three of my five meals. He was phenomenal, and sincerely wanted me to make the most of my trip, which was so appreciated. He gave suggestions for recreation, dinner plans - he was totally engaged, professional, and seemed genuinely happy to see me when I strolled up from the beach, which is a great feeling on a solo vacation. If he's working when you visit, chat him up - he has a lot to offer about the island, and makes a mean Painkiller.

So this is obviously a very subjective review, based on my own time on a very uncrowded resort, but I couldn't recommend it highly enough if you want to have a comfortable hotel with a great beach that is very accessible to the rest of the island.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
OHIO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Getting to the hotel was a doozie. When other reviewers said it was secluded - they meant it. You drive and drive down a dark windy road and then you see lights and get excited, but it's Carambola golf course. So you drive and drive...and drive some more and finally get there. The receptionist referred to the road as 'the beast' and that is the perfect description.

When you pull up, you are greeted with rum punch, which you'll need after that drive. We asked for punch without the rum for the kids. Check in went very smoothly and the bellman unloaded our luggage onto a golfcart and drove the scenic route to our room in order to show us around the hotel.

We were in building 3. I like the rooms on the single digit side best, they are closer to the ocean and more private than the double digit ones that are all grouped together. Although, the double digit ones are closer to the beach swim area.

The bungalow style rooms worked out really well for my family. We requested second floor rooms so we'd have the vaulted ceilings and they were beautiful. You enter the room through a sitting area with a kitchenette (full size fridge, two burner cooktop, sink and dishwasher). Each room has a screened in porch area with two benches - perfect for reading or relaxing while listening to the waves. It's L shaped with a little bit of separation between the sitting and bedroom areas. The bathroom has double sinks and a separate toilet and shower area. The rooms have ceiling fans and air conditioners which helped to keep things comfortable. We were there in August and I expected extremely hot weather, but it was quite pleasant.

As mentioned in other reviews, most of the beach is very rocky, You have to walk to the far end of the beach for a smooth, swimmable sandy area. We purchased a few $3 inflatable toys and they came in handy both at the beach and the pool area. The pool is huge. It goes from 3ft to 6ft. There was rarely an attendant there though, and I twice had to go to the reception area soaking wet in my swimsuit to get towels.

The restaurant is open air with a bar in the middle. It's a full bar with excellent drinks, my favorites were the lime in the coconut and the cruzian confusion. The prices were a bit high, but on par with everything else on the Island. Kids meals were around $7, a burger and fries around $13. Food was pretty good and we received excellent service the first time we ate there. However, we had a horrible experience at the restaurant with a waitress names Mercedes that put a damper on our visit. She didn't bring our drinks for over 15 minutes - we saw her outside on her cell phone and called the hostess over who got our drinks. They usually bring bread and butter out and when we asked why she didn't she said the kitchen was out of bread. When we saw another waitress bringing bread to a different table we asked her and she brought it to us. Our food order was incomplete and she was very rude about getting what was missing. Then, to make it worse, she added a 20% service charge to our bill. She removed it when we asked for a manager that never came. After that experience we decided to never eat in there again.

They have basketball and tennis courts and the trail to the tidal pools (ask for directions in the lobby before you go, it's a very nice hike). I didn't see the workout room. The dive shop is extremely helpful if you're interested in snorkeling or scuba diving.

Friday night they have the pirates buffet. We intended to go, but once we saw that Mercedes was the waitress we chose to eat off the resort. We did make it back for the entertainment though. The mocko jumbies were amazing and the live band and dj kept the party going. We had so much fun dancing with other guests and a few of the employees.

We checked out at night at the suggestion of Jacki (I know I'm spelling it wrong) who was extremely helpful and accommodating so that we could get up and go in the morning for our 9am flight. We booked a special rate that included a $25 credit each night and it was credited correctly on our final bill. I've heard issues with receiving Marriott rewards, but I'll have to wait and see if those are posted correctly. I'd also like to mention Hakim the bellman, and the waitress who's name I can't remember (older lady, very dark skin, with long dreadlocks) who was also very hospitable. They exemplify the warm, welcoming Island experience I look forward to when I travel.

Oh - they give you a channel guide when you check in. It is wrong. Channel 35 was listed as the Disney channel and when my kids turned to it there was a nude couple having sex!!! I called to let the front desk know - hopefully they'll make that change ASAP.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Scottsdale, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

The hotel shows lots of differed maintainence. The restaurant and bar are not air conditioned so you are at the mercy of the breezes to catch a little relief from the hot and humid weather in August. There is a wall air conditioning unit in the very large room. It cooled the area around the bed, but the bathroom was pretty warm, so much so that by the time you finished with your shower, make up and hair you really needed another shower! The staff was very nice and helpful, wait staff willing to serve, but poorly trained. The food was actually the high point. Consistently good and fairly priced. The ocean right in front of the hotel has sea urchins so you will need to walk to the far end of the beach to swim. Gym has enough equipment to get a workout. Massages were ok. All in all, I'd shop around for a little better maintained property.

Room Tip: Request a room in one of the buildings close to the swimming area along the beach.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

Glows: The view/sounds of the Caribbean from the resort are excellent. The hike to the tidal pool is exciting and romantic if you're there with a loved one. They have a gym and basketball court there for people who wish to continue fitness routines. Some of the staff was extremely helpful and nice. It is a half hour from both major cities on the island.
Grows: I did not like the random cats running around the property. I wish the gym was updated. The equipment was old and out dated. Some staff was uninterested in interactions with us. They seemed to have a "go figure it out" mentality. I wish there was someone stationed at the Tidal Pool to explain how to enter it. We hiked all the way to it but I was hurt and almost pulled to see trying to climb into it. I wish there were more food options on site.

• Stayed June 2013
Philadelphia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Carambola mid July for 4 nights. I loved it! My husband thought it could use many improvements. Starting with the property- naturally stunning views of beach and rainforest. My husband notices a lot more than me and pointed out landscaping maintenance could be improved in many areas. Also there was some type of construction right in middle of property with orange fence surrounding some type of pump coming out of ground. Big eye sore. Beach was beautiful but lacked any service for food,drink, umbrellas, etc. - fine for me but husband was disappointed and after staying at many carribean resorts did see his point. He felt like customer service in general was lacking.
The pool was nice and relaxing. There was a hot tub but when we asked why off told by manager " it's broken" with a big smile but found out following day from waitress at restaurant next to pool " of course it works- you just have to turn it on over by this building" and proceeded to help us. Not a big deal to me but once again did get my husbands point that if your a manager you should at least express to customer you apologize for inconvenience and are working on problem.
There is one main restaurant open for lunch and dinner and second open for breakfast. The second restaurant would really benefit this resort for a second dining option. What bothered me was that they opened second restaurant for Friday night seafood buffet which we were excited about. What we did not realize was they open it to entire island and unfortunately it attracts some rough locals. The food was always good with some variety but not enough variety to sustain a long vacation of eating at same restaurant everyday.
The rooms were nice and clean. There is a screened in small room off of main bedroom which we loved. No issues with room at all.
We both scuba dive and it was wonderful here. We did 3 days of shore diving right off beach at resort- nice wall approximately 100 yards out and easy to navigate. Saw eels, sharks, and squid and plentiful fish. Highlight of our trip! Dive shop right on resort seconds away from the beach. Also awesome hike to natural tidal pools right on resort grounds- a must do!
Golfers beware- my husband is a golfer and this is why we chose Carambola- has all the natural beauty were looking for plus golf... Golf course in my husbands words " unplayable" and appears to have not been maintained for months- although not part of hotel and not included in rating still must be mentioned. Very disappointing for many golfers staying there same time as us.
So if your like me and love beautiful rainforest and crystal clear water with a lush and colorful landscaping and that's what's most important you will really like this resort. If your most important factors in choosing a resort are customer service and 4-5 star dining you will be slightly dissappointed.
Tips: talk to Jamie who is one of managers and is a wealth of knowledge and will go above and beyond to make your stay better and is who all staff should strive to be like. Thanks Jamie! Rent a car- taxis are expensive and according to front desk " not easy to get ride home at end of night". Eat at Rowdie Joes for lunch! And Sundays all of shops and restaurants in town shut down so plan your trip into Christiansted any other day.
I would have rated 4 stars but had to factor in my husbands thoughts as well.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!