“A wonderful location........except for one problem.” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free night in Paradise!
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in St. Croix
Crystal Springs, Mississippi
“A wonderful location........except for one problem.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

We have visited Carambola on four occasions for a week at a time. We thoroughly enjoyed our stays. Preparing for our 5th visit only to discover we have not acquired any Marriott Rewards. According to Marriott we have to deal with the front desk to confirm our stays. Which we have discovered is impossible. Carambola will not cooperate with us to supply confirmation of our previous visits. Rewards desk says their hands are tied as the property is outside CONUS. We have been trying for months to get this corrected. It is very disappointing. So we did some research and discovered a nearby affordable Villa. Goodbye Carambola.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Nancy W, Director of Sales at Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Uh Oh...so sorry to read of the problem you encountered. I humbly apologize. I have spoken to our staff and your previous bookings will be in our database and we will send these on to be processed so you can get your Marriott points.

We hope you will give us another chance, however if you decide to stay elsewhere on your next visit, we still want to ensure you receive the Marriott points you have earned.
I just need to know your phone number or email so we can contact you to get the info needed to complete and amend the problems you have had. If you wish you can call me as well and I will be happy to collect the info over the phone. Again, I am truly sorry that you encountered such a problem with getting your reward points.

Warm regards,
Nancy Williams, Director of Sales -305-937-0090

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
Irving, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

A no-passport needed destination wedding site, Carambola beach makes a beautiful backdrop. Females in our party availed the salon for hair, makeup and massage services. Oceanfront views & roars equal serene, private villa stays in addition to seeing only resort staff on our end of property all week! Both couples enjoyed the Cultural Dance Show Dinner as a last-night hurrah. It's a great base from which to explore attractions on both ends of the island by rental car. Pools and beach A+. Courtesy punch & maps provided upon arrival models Nevis Four Seasons' no-hassle welcome.

Room Tip: 2nd Floor Villas have ocean views & private screened-in porches
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Nancy W, Director of Sales at Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Hello,
I want to thank you so much for taking the time to post a review on your recent stay with us. I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed it and it sounds like everything went beautifully with the wedding. As you mentioned, we really are the perfect back drop for a destination wedding. I hope you will visit us again. And thank you for comparing us to the Four Seasons Nevis...a high compliment indeed!

Best regards,
Nancy - Director of Sales.
TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Whenever I can, I try to stay at Marriott brand hotels or resorts. That's just my preference. So, in part my review is also written with my general Marriott experience at other properties. Personally, my wife and I both love this resort. As others have mentioned, it is a beautiful property located on the Carambola Beach. The beach is beautiful and words can't (at least mine) describe how amazing the beach and Caribbean water looks with the lush green mountains, hills, and rugged cliffs as the back drop. Simply amazing. This resort is nestled at the bottom of the hills in complete seclusion and privacy. The pool is huge and very nice, with excellent poolside furnishings.

The service is exceptional. Period! We had several meals there and they were all fairly good. The fresh Mahi is always a good choice. I also had chicken wings which were good. My wife had The Carambola salad one day which she really enjoyed, as well as some kind of seafood pasta which was okay. Oh, try the Lime in the Coconut at the bar, pretty tasty.

The rooms are nice. However, our room (66) did have some mileage. It seemed to me that the furniture had considerable wear. I'm not being picky, just an observation. Marriott properties usually don't let their stuff get run down. I had heard that some rooms have been renovated. I honestly don't know what the schedule consists of for further renovations. Some light repairs and furniture replacement are in order (in my opinion, at least to keep pace with the Marriott standard). With that said, I believe that this property has been hanging the "Renaissance" marque for just under two years. My guess is, if the property owner can maintain the pace and standard of the Marriott brand, we can expect continued improvements here. The bar and restaurant area can use a little updating as well. And the fitness area... the equipment is okay considering, however the carpet is nasty. Look, I love this place and will stay here again. I am only making the observations and pairing them with my Marriott experiences and expectations.

If you stay here, I think you would want a car. Unless you don't plan on leaving. There is nothing really close, and that is also one of the nice things about the resort. Both Christiansted and Frederiksted are at least a 20 minute drive. The roads here are also better than St Thomas. So, if your adventurous, or at least not cursed with high anxiety, get a car. It will only take a day to get use to driving on the left. Making turns, well that's another story, hehe. Plus the freedom to enjoy some other dining options, sites, tours, and beaches are well worth it.

Finally, keep in mind that once you start coming down the hill (locals call it the beast) towards the resort, cell service gets very poor. My verizon phone didn't get any service whatsoever.

Oh, I did forget to mention that scuba diving is available on site right off the beach. The wall is only 120 yards from the beach.

Enjoy your stay, the beauty, solitude, and great service.

Room Tip: If you would like a reliable cell phone, go to Radio Shack in Sunny Isle shopping center. You can ge...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Nancy W, Director of Sales at Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Hello from St. Croix!
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a detailed review. Sounds like you enjoyed your stay aside from a few cell phone issues. As you experienced, can sit at the base of a lush rainforest so sometimes the service is dodgy. The rooms have all been completely refurbished, but in the island climate (Humidity and salt air) of the Caribbean furniture does wear out and we do strive to keep the rooms up to date. So you got to know 'the Beast" !! Some walk it every morning...quite a work out! Hope you will visit again.
Best regards,
Nancy- Director of Sales
St. Thomas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

My Spring break began in St.Thomas and we took a sea plane over to St.Criox for the weekend to celebrate my aunts birthday. This hotel allows you to have a real island experience. However, be prepared for a long drive and if your service provider is sprint there will be no service, but who needs phone service while in paradise. We arrived on Friday and stayed on the beach and snorkeled all day. It was an Awesome time. The hotel is also very up to date. The rooms are amazing. That Friday night we did the cultural stimulation event. They served local food & drinks and after played local music and had different special local presentations. It was wonderful. We left that Saturday. It was fun packed. The reason I love this hotel is because of it layout and beauty also its ability to entertain guess. Because its so far from many stores and tourist attractions the hotel accommodates many needs and you wouldn't have to leave.

Room Tip: We had a water front room, but all the rooms are great regardless. If you want the best beach experi...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hi Nia,
Thanks for posting a review from your March stay. I'm happy to hear that you took advantage of the seaplane flight from St. Thomas. Its so easy, fast and the water take off and landing is a blast.
We pride ourselves on offering an unspoiled, lush and unique property combined with a genuine and caring staff. I'm glad to hear you had a fantastic time. I hope you'll consider another visit in the future!
Best-Nancy-Director of Sales
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Just spent seven nights at the Carambola for our honeymoon. The staff was outstanding, location breathtaking and rooms very comfortable. The remote location has benefits & drawbacks. The isolation makes you feel like you have an island all to yourself. Beach never had more than six or eight other people on it. Usually more like two. The surrounding mountains and crashing surf are stunning. A small downside is it does cost $$ to take a cab off property or you need to rent a car as others have said. Driving on the left is not too bad, get a Jeep and forget the maps....ask locals or hotel staff. See the tide pools and go to Buck Island, both worth it. Relax, get on island time and speak up if you have a problem or request. Hotel staff will do whatever it takes to assure a good time. Can't say enough about the good people there.

Room Tip: Beach front room 165 was great but garden views had beautiful foliage and sound of tree frogs. Can...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Greetings from St. Croix,
Thanks for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay on the island. So glad to hear you rented a car to explore the island, the island is so big and lush its fun to poke around and explore. The US Virgin Islands are close together, so its very easy and fast to hop from island to island by plane or seaplane Seaborne Airlines. Hope you'll consider another visit !
Best,
Nancy-Director of Sales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We loved this hotel. It is a STEAL when you use Marriott points. So relaxing, even though there were a lot of guests, it felt like we were alone on a private island. No one was ever on the beach. We had it to ourselves at night to sit under the tiki huts and listen to music on our little travel speaker. :) We hiked to the tidal pools (ask the receptionist for a map), and then ask the porter for a golf cart ride to the head of the trail. Sounds lazy, but the hike is crazy long and uphill most of the way (makes sense right, you ARE climbing a mountain).
The hotel is in the safest part of the island, but we did use the in room safe every time we left the room. No problems with Nothin Mon! Bartenders are great. Made us awesome fresh squeezed lime margaritas. We even ran into the bartender the next day when we were getting ready to snorkel up the road. He was taking his morning walk (I guess he lives around there). So nice that he remembered us and was friendly in his off time too!
You will NOT regret staying at this place. I did TONS of research prior to booking this hotel. I am SUPER SUPER PICKY about everything. This was probably my best vacation EVER. No complaints at all! Oh, and don't miss the beer drinking pigs. Have some MommaWanna at the bar, then ask to see the pigs. Its a cool cool island. Loved it! I miss you St. Croix. Be back soon, and I will definitely stay at the Renaissance again. No doubt.

Room Tip: If you happen to be a Platinum Marriott member, ask to be upgraded. We were practically IN the ocea...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi,
Just wanted to say a big 'THANK YOU" for taking the time to write such a nice review! Sounds like you had an awesome time and we look forward to your return visit. Glad you took advantage of everything on the island...even our resident beer drinking wild life!! We do have quite a lot of guests that use their Marriott reward points...a great way to travel. Please let me know if I can help you plan your next trip to visit us! We look forward to welcoming you back to the island!
Nancy -Director of Sales
Nwilliams@carambolabeach.com
Tulsa, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I stayed at this hotel the first week of June and it was wonderful. Room 202 said was a garden view but I could see the ocean and it was beautiful. I booked with a wedding which was so much fun, the weather worked out perfectly for the ceremony but did rain quite a bit off and on while we were there. The bed was very comfortable and the room big compared to a normal hotel I thought. There is a hiking trail on the property that ends at a tide pool which is a great workout with awesome views. The beach and pool both fantastic with lots of seating and everything was pretty clean.

The drawbacks to me were there were tiny black bugs on the sink in the bathroom if you left anything out that was scented they might find it. The food wasn't bad but it wasn't good for the price to me, however, rent a car and there are great restaurants within a few minuets drive. Also, unless you just want to relax by the pool or beach I didn't find that there was much to do at the resort so I recommend renting a car.

I liked the drinking pig's (I forget the name of the bar they are at but it should be easy to find on google) and the rum factory tour was fun.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!