“One of the best experiences I've ever had!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in St. Croix
Amherst
“One of the best experiences I've ever had!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

We just spent a week at the Renaissance Carambola and it was such a nice vacation, I would definitely go back! The resort is beautiful, tucked away from all the crowds, with a beautiful beach, great snorkeling and hiking, wonderful staff, nice big rooms with screened in porches, a nice pool & hot tub, and a nice restaurant. I just loved this place! Also, there is a spa where my daughter and I got great manicures/pedicures. A definite recommend!! Keep in mind that it is about a 30 min drive to either Christiansted or Fredericksted and about 20 min to the airport. But we liked the peacefulness and tranquility!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

My husband and I used Marriott points for a week at the Carambola Resort recently (April 28 - May 5) and it was truly one of the most relaxing and enjoyable experiences of my life. The resort is calm, quiet and not at all "over the top". It was comfortable, romantic, clean and truly, just what we were looking for. I will go back!!! The beach was beautiful, the pool clean and well maintained, the grounds and rooms were immaculate. I loved waking up in the morning, fixing a cup of coffee and sitting on my screened in lanai, taking in the ocean and sunshine while slowly waking to another morning in paradise. Evenings were quietly lit, romantic and serene, offering beautiful walks on the beach, cooling dips in the pool and comfortable beds to relax in while watching television. The staff was friendly, the dive shop (Sweet Bottom) was wonderful and overall, I could not have asked for more. There is not much in the way of night life but that's to my taste. If you are looking for more, St Croix in general may not be the right island for you - think St Thomas instead. There are some wonderful restaurants just minutes from the resort in Cane Bay and we visited several of them. I just can't say enough about this trip. Thank you Renaissance!!!

Room Tip: When we checked in I politely asked if our room had an ocean view and if possible, could we upgrade...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Montgomery, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

Enjoyed our time at this lovely secluded property on St. Croix. Keep in mind that you are a good distance away from town but if you are looking for a lovely, secluded property where you can unwind and really feel away from it all this is your place!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Vallejo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

This resort felt like a hidden treasure. It's about a 30 minute drive from the airport. It is tucked into the hillside and has access to a beautiful cove and beach. The beach is technically public but it felt private. The resort has refurbished rooms with screened in Lanais. The restaurants had nice menus. We were there during "non-peak" season so only one restaurant was open at a time but more than sufficient. Nighttime was very quiet. So if you are looking for some nightlife this is not the place (at least during the time we were there). I did hear the resort has a fun Friday night event but we were not there to enjoy it. There is also a dive shop on site "Sweetbottom Dive". The staff there was AWESOME and my husband and I went diving right off the beach!

Room Tip: Ask for a room recently remodeled. We had an ocean view but the garden view rooms seemed lovely as w...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

My husband and I wanted to find a very special location to celebrate our 30th anniversary. We have travelled extensively for both business and pleasure so our intent was to simply get away and relax. The reviews on this site were so encouraging and I can say the Renaissance St. Croix exceeded our expectations. First of all it is a very secluded property. We practically had the beach and pool to ourselves. There is no public traffic whatsoever. It is nestled at the bottom of some gorgeous foothills and a great distance from any other resorts, The area is gated and meticulously manicured. The only sounds one hears is of waves and an occasional bird or cricket. Our unit was by far the most comfortable we have ever stayed in. Yes, we've stayed in some glitzy places like the Ritz or Grand Wailea but neither compare to just sheer practicality and livability. We most enjoyed the lanai and spent many mornings and late afternoons enjoying its view, drinking coffee, or reading. There is a kitchenette that was sufficiently equipped to prepare easy meals (Be sure to stop into the Plaza Extra grocer on your way to the resort). There are two tvs in the unit for the rare occasion we each wanted to watch different channels. The king-size bed was comfortable and there was a generous supply of fresh towels. We spent four days at the resort but only ate at the restaurant twice. Both meals were exceptional. We had breakfast the first morning (try the cream cheese stuffed french toast) and dinner the last night of our stay. We had a great deal of apprehension when deciding to stay on site for that particular meal as it was to be our official anniversary celebration. We were not only pleased with the food, we were greatly impressed. My husband had a filet mignon and I had almond-crusted red snapper. Both dishes were delicious and beautifully presented.

Now, for our impression of the island of St. Croix. (Sigh). We have visited San Juan, St. Thomas, Nassau, Cabo San Lucas, Acapulco, Cancun and their surrounding areas. It becomes evident there are places intended for tourists' eyes as there is usually a discrepancy between those areas and the locals' neighborhoods. I suppose I was naive to think St. Croix, being a US territory, would at least rival its sister island St. Thomas. Unfortunately the island seems downright impoverished and in disrepair. There are many, many unfinished houses that appear to have been simply abandoned. The roads are filled with pot holes. There is a great percentage of vacant retail storefronts in the high traffic areas in both Fredericksted and Christiansted. Several locals commented on the high crime rate and we were advised to shed any other articles of worth before walking around in public. The one major employer, the oil refinery, just shut down a week ago leaving at least 3,000 people unemployed. I can only imagine the effect this will have on the already struggling economy.

Even with the sad impression of the island I would love to return to the Renaissance St. Croix for its beauty, solitude, quiet surroundings, attentive staff, and overall contribution to total rest and relaxation. If you've ever dreamed of finding your own little piece of island paradise, this is it. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Stay on the second floor of the newly renovated units. The ceilings in these rooms are gorgeous.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester, NH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

We go on multiple trips every year due to my significant other's business, so we have stayed in a number of very nice places. This trip we planned on our own, and we went with another couple, February 11 to February 19th, 2012. I can honestly say, and this was confirmed by the other three members of my party, that this was by far the best vacation we have all had!

First, the location was perfect, our rooms, right on the beach and were above our expectations. The sevice, it was perfect and the food was unbelieveable. We were expecting middle of the road and this property and the staff more then surpassed our expectations. We felt like we were on our own private island and it was fabulous, would go back tomorrow if I could! Loved it!

Room Tip: Definintely ask for second story rooms in trhe newly renovated buildings and don't forget about...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Arlington, VA, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

I've been going to this resort for over ten years. It is now under new management which is upgrading what was always a very pleasant resort. It is on an isolated part of the island, and seems to be worlds away from the rest of the island. Instead of a giant building guests stay in multi-tier bungalows, which are much more relaxing and private. The beach is pristine, and you can go scuba diving directly from the beach. I would suggest renting a car if you plan to visit the rest of the island because it is far away from the two major cities. I particularly love the outside tiki bar by the pool where you can drink and eat under a thatched roof and look out over the bay. My only minor complaint is that the internet is rather slow - but I find that in most hotels these days.

In short, if you want to get away to a true Caribbean resort that is quiet and relaxing, this is the place. Look elsewhere for wild times and loud music.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the beach so you can see and hear the waves.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Been to Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!