“Excellent Retreat” 4 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in St. Croix
“Excellent Retreat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012 via mobile

Friendly staff, very relaxing, but you better rent a car to don't get bored. Good food.

• Stayed April 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Lebanon, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

We spent 3 nights at Carambola. The location is remote and beautiful, but it is rather overpriced considering how dated the grounds seem, esp. pool area and the lack of enthusiastic staff. We were greeted by a very helpful bellman and it was raining when we arrived. Our room that was supposed to be ocean view had a lot of trees in front of it, so I was a bit disappointed. This was our second visit to St. Croix. We stayed at the Divi last time. The rooms themselves were pretty nice and seemed more recently renovated. They didn't clean our room the 2nd day we were there, which was a little strange considering I only had the do not disturb card on maybe 30 mins that day. I had to call first thing the next morning, as it was the day of the wedding. The rooms did seem very clean. I have a gluten allergy and the evening chefs were very accommodating on the 2 evenings we dined (1 buffet night they even cooked me special mahi mahi without sauce). Some of the staff was very friendly and helpful, others didn't even smile or say thank you. We went for a relative's wedding. They switched wedding coordinators 3+ times on her and didn't even have one the week of her wedding, so she ended up hiring her own on the advice of her wonderful photographer. This was very good advice, as she had to make sure the hotel was on top of things several times! We got massages at the spa on the last day and those were very good! I would consider staying there again, but only if prices were better and they make some improvements. I understand Marriott newly owns them, so hopefully, they will make some improvements!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in the 1500's+ if you want ocean view. Our 1400 room had too many trees in front...
Southbury, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

Loved the hotel setting as it is on the North Shore, far enough away and very private. The views and setting are spectacular. The rooms are not traditional hotel rooms but suites and are very spacious tucked into the trees over looking the ocean. You definitley need a car as you are 30 minutes from both towns. The only drawback is the service, it is not up to the Marriott standards -- the front desk staff really doesn't seem to care about going out of there way for their guests. The place was not crowded so there was no fighting for beach chairs which was really nice. The food at the restaurants was decent enough but you should really go down the road a few miles to some local places. The people that went out of their way for you were the bellmen and waitresses. Management should take a lesson from them. But with that said, I would go back as it was a great vacation.

Room Tip: Worth the upgrade to ocean view - we requested this and got ocean front - it was spectacular. Askfor...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Augusta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

We arrived around 4pm and were the only guests checking in. The bellman, Jason, did an excellent job of meeting our rental car in the front of the hotel and unloaded our suitcases. He was friendly, welcoming and sincere. The attendant that checked us in was very indifferent, to say the least. I used my MR points for the 2 night stay and paid the extra $100 upgrade fee to guarantee a renovated room. He did not recognize my Gold status our welcome us with a smile, he seemed tired and bothered by my questions. I asked about the possibility of being upgraded to an ocean front, but was told that was not possible. I asked for a quiet room prior to arrival and he stated they'd not received requests of any kind. WIth check-in complete and keys in hand, my husband walked into the reception area. We asked about north end restaurants and asked if they had paperwork with the listings and phone numbers. He gave us a copy of This Week St Croix (monthly magazine) and sent us on our way. Jason was standing nearby and observed the behavior. He walked up to my husband and asked if we'd like a complimentary rum punch. We accepted and departed for the golf cart ASAP.During the drive to our room (36) I was surprised by the condition of the resort, expecting improvement, as they'd undergone major renovations. The grounds looked exactly as they did 2 years ago and the buildings still needed a lot of attention, painting, level walk ways, better lighting, etc. Once inside our room, I was somewhat relieved. It was one of the renovated ones with a nice view of the ocean. But the are several basic things that needed attention. Poorly lit room, dirty floors, old bed linens, old pillows and dirty windows. With Marriott properties, you can always count on comfortable beds, nice sheets and towels, not the case here. The shower was missing grout in several places, the tiles had pencil lines left behind by the installer and was never cleaned properly by housekeeping. The bottom of the shower door leaked water onto the floor. Only one small bath mat in front of the toilet. No rugs or mats to wipe sand off of feet, so you ended up with sand in the bed. Mismatched door knobs, bathroom fixtures and shower fixtures. Blinds did not work, bedside lamp was broken. Shampoo and soap was not replaced once housekeeping finally came late on Friday afternoon. I had to ask for another bar of soap twice, but it came. We ordered room service one night, 2 cheeseburgers/fries. Took 50 minutes for food to arrive and they forgot to send the french fries, so another 20 minutes waiting for fries to arrive...cold. It was disappointing. No follow up call to apologize. There were 2 scheduled power outages (due to WAPA) beyond the control of the hotel, but why don't they have a back up power generator as other hotels on the island do? We had the breakfast buffet one morning which was pretty good.Wait staff was friendly but more worried about printing our bill and being paid b/c of the power outage. Opted not to do dinner again, and went to Rowdy Joes (excellent meal and service...fresh mahi). We went back there for lunch after checking out. It rained off and on the 2 days we visited, so it made enjoying the screened in porch difficult (soggy cushions/pillows). I called twice to request a late check out but was told that a large Danish party was coming in so 1pm was the latest we could stay. The location of the resort is very scenic and potentially romantic with better service and weather. The bar served great pain killers and our waitress was friendly only after we engaged her in conversation. I really didn't believe some of the previous reviews about the indifferent staff and was hopeful we could prove them wrong. No luck! Marriott customer service should take a close look as the property and make a valiant effort to improve what could be a great place to visit. I own stoke in Marriott and always stay with them, so this is intended to be constructive. I would love to go back in the future once our issues are addressed. Until then, I guess we'll go to the Buccaneer or rent a villa on VRBO,

Room Tip: You really need to ask for a room that's been updated and away from the noise of the main buildi...
Downers Grove, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

We snowbird it to St Croix each winter, and frequent the Carambola restaurant and beach. The location is the most beautiful on the island, and the beach as well as pool area are always well kept and inviting. We love breakfast overlooking the water. Hostess/supervisor Marie is efficient and thorough in her quiet way. We have a small business in Illinois, and I'd hire her any day for any number of positions! Our favorite wait staff are Phillomena (who always remembers what we tend to order)for breakfast, Nagra (who has a fabulous smile) for lunch, and Mercedes (who always remembers to say "It's my pleasure" at every opportunity) for dinner. We also really appreciate quiet, busy Theresa with her dust pan and broom. She is constantly on the lookout for any little debris which might mar the beauty of the view. While we haven't stayed at the hotel since we bought our nearby condo, we can see that the property is consistently well kept and the managment is doing a great job of seeing to guests' needs.
Karen P.C.

milan. nh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

I've never written one of these reviews but just getting back from a wonderful week at Carambola, I felt the need to share the experience. Four of us sister-in-laws planned a winter rendezvous. We all flew in from our separate corners of the states for a 4 day stay. From the minute we got to the resort, we were met with smiles from folks that seemed genuinely determined to see that we had a great vacation...and they came through with flying colors. Jacqueline, the cruise director of sorts, seemed to be available all the time. Day and night. Don't know when she ever slept but she was a ton of fun and great at what she did. Our stay was much too short. We rented a car and crammed in a lot of miles in our 4 days. A car is really a must if you want to do any sightseeing as the resort is pretty much all on it's own. Driving on the left side of the road was a bit of a challenge for me anyway but having the car was nice. Everything we needed was there at the resort and we could have had a great time staying put but decided to fill our days checking the island out from one end to the other. One of our bunch is a diver and she managed to fit in a few shore dives right from our beach. She loved the fact that the dive shop was right there at the resort. Tony and Gwenn were both so friendly and accommodating . We seemed to be on the road a lot but did manage to eat a few decent meals there. Breakfast wasn't great but the dinner we had the first night was very good. Our plans changed and we ended up at the resort on Friday night. We'd heard about the Moko Jumbie show and the Pirate buffet so we thought we'd check it out. The place was packed and we opted to order off the menu instead of waiting through the line. The show was really fun and I'm sure worth whatever the buffet price is. From reading a few semi-negative reviews here on the accommodations, I take it we were in the newly refurbished units. They were sensational. We rented 2 units for 4 of us but easily could have doubled up. The online pictures don't really give you a good idea on just how beautiful the space is. Vaulted ceilings, open, airy, dark wood, super spacious but my favorite part was the screened porch. As soon as I saw it I knew that even though the bed was piled high with a fluffy, inviting comforter, I'd be sleeping on that porch. It was terrific to fall asleep every night to the waves crashing 25 feet away and just as terrific to wake up every morning to the sun coming up behind the palm trees. What a great vacation. You guys all deserve a round of applause. Just wish I knew the guys name that climbed the tree to pluck us that coconut and then went on to hack it up and serve it to us...just because.

Room Tip: We were in second floor units side by side and they were wonderful.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Bewryn, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

Not a great experience overall. The rooms and property are dated. The staff was often indifferent at best. Also, I was awakend by voices outside my door at 2:30 by a man who apparently has been attacked or robbed and was wanting to check out and go to the hospital. I was also over charged for my taxi ride from the airport to the hotel ($40 vs. $25).

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Been to Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!