“Must go” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Reefs
Activities: Scuba diving, Viewing wildlife
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: About two miles northeast of St. Croix, Buck Island Cove, with its large and spectacular reef, is a snorkeler’s dream.
4 attraction reviews
“Must go”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

If you are going to do anything on st. Croix this is the thing it should be. Amazing turquoise water and snorkeling is incredible!

Wilmington, Delaware
18 attraction reviews
“Great National Park”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

This is a must do for young and old and in between ages. I have snorkeled all over, from Belize to the keys of Fla ranks as my number 3. I look forward to Bringing my daughter next time... she is at home in Philly where once again it's snowing. Unreal the snow we've had this year. glad I'm down here. Big Beards is the way to travel to buck island.

Visited March 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Best coral reef in the Caribbean”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

A hidden gem. Well worth the trip . Coral reef intact thanks to its national park status. My son and I returned twice here during our stay in St. Croix. Loved the Big Beard team that took us there.

Visited March 2014
Philadelphia
37 attraction reviews
“When in St Croix, Buck Island is a must!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

If you ever visit St Croix, don't miss out on a short trip to Buck Island from Christiansted. The island is beautiful. The reef if a must see for snorkeling. I've been to beaches in Hawaii, Philippines, Mexico and most of the Caribbean. This is one of the best. Get a waterproof camera for underwater photos. If possible, sail to the island. It is a relaxing experience! And as the locals say, " take pictures but leave nothing but footprints." There is nothing on the island but natural resources so bring your own food, drinks and towel.

Visited February 2014
Minneapolis, Minnesota
10 attraction reviews
“Enjoyed this Excursion! Buck Island is beautiful!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

We went on Big Beards 1/2 day morning trip. The morning we went it was pretty calm on the ocean and we had a peaceful ride to Buck Island. The 1st stop is at a gorgeous beach with white sand and very calm, gentle waves lapping up on the beach. There's nothing to see snorkeling here but the crew wants everyone to get acquainted with their snorkeling gear here before bringing them to the other side of the island for snorkeling the reef. The calm side is worth the $90 alone, however, if you just want a beach as beautiful as this on St. Croix make a trip to Sandy Point beach (only open Saturdays and Sundays) and it's JUST as beautiful if not more. Anyway- once we traveled by boat to the other side of the island you are required to just jump right in the water as there's no place to calm walk in the ocean there. If you have never snorkeled before I would personally not recommend this trip unless you are a confident swimmer. You are given life jackets but the water is just a little rougher on this side. I was fine...I've snorkeled probably 15 times in my life and I feel confident in the water. There are lots of neat fish to see and the reef is interesting to see underwater. I think perhaps the Big Beard captain put the fear of God in everyone when he very intensely said DO NOT GO OUTSIDE THE REEF, DO NOT GO OVER THE REEF, DON'T TOUCH THE REEF, IT IS DANGEROUS!!! Etc., Etc. So I think everyone was a little shaken by the seriousness of his tone and we all didn't know what we were in for. I appreciated his safety concerns and understand completely but because of his intense warnings I probably didn't trek out as far on my own as I normally would have because I didn't want to be the one who broke the rules and got in a bad situation in the ocean. Overall, it was cool, we saw nurse sharks, a baracudda and many colorful tropical fish. We snorkeled for about 15-20 minutes total...which doesn't seem like much but we were satisfied with what we saw. I'm glad I did the excursion overall and would have been disappointed without that portion of my trip. Also, I would recommend only doing the 1/2 day trip - there's no point in doing a full day unless you want to eat.

Visited February 2014