“Worth the difficult hike” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 62 Activities in St. Croix
Type: Hiking Trails, Sports
Portland, Oregon
11 attraction reviews
“Worth the difficult hike”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2009

This hike is very strenuous. We are both very active, yet found the hike difficult and tricky to navigate. Some parts were 70 degree inclines/declines so use trees to brace yourself. the pools were well worth the hike. Very refreshing and relaxing. There was no one else there for the 2 hours we stayed there. Stop at the front desk at Carombola Resort for a map before you begin.

Texas
3 attraction reviews
“Tidepools St Croix”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

We decided not to pay the $100($300 for our family) a person on Tan-Tan tours so we started at the Carabola Resort and hiked to the tide pools. Good signs and beaten trail to follow. Be advised the first 15 minutes of the hike you will need to be a billy goat to make it to the top of the mountain. It is somewhat steep but very managable if you use the trees and watch your step. Go slow and careful...take a break if you need to. Then you climb the mountain on a trail! We talked to someone who had been there before and said "You can wear flip flops because it is more of a walk than an hike." Let me say this guy must have been a marathon runner, monkey chaser, and cliff climber before he became a hotel manager in town. Wear tennis shoes with a good gripping sole. He said 30 minutes...it was 50. I'm a mom with a bum knee so steady and slow was my pace and I made it. Had 2- 20ish kids who had no problem. If you make the first 15 minutes(grab on to the trees to help pull you/balance yourself) it is smooth sailing from there. We hiked 15 minutes then walked 30 that was just fine. Down to the tidepools after a right at the dirt road. We found them--you will see a pile of rocks placed in the crevace. Step right, left while holding to the rocks and you will make it. When you want to climb back down, put your body in the crevace nose in and climb right, left ,4 steps down. The tidepools were a huge disappointment. No water over the edge, 2' of water and it looked somewhat stagnant. A few fish but not what was mentioned in tour books. Tan-Tan tours showed up while we were there and they were the helpful ones on how to climb to rocks. The people with them said they were having a great ride of a roller coaster down to the tidepools! Once I saw the tidepools I was glad I saved my money though. Find out when the best time is to see them because the middle of July is not it. It was 35 minutes back to the resort. I would love to see the tidepools but next time I am asking what the best time of the year is. If the tidepools were active it would have mattered that we were part billy goat...part casual stroller.