“Soggy and battered” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #59 of 81 Activities in St. Croix
Type: Golf Courses, Outdoor Activities
Activities: Golfing
More attraction details
Owner description: Perhaps the best golf course in the Caribbean, Carambola is a par-72 course with lots of uphill and cross-water shots.
Middletown, New Jersey
5 attraction reviews
“Soggy and battered”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

The course is well designed and scenic. But it is in a rainforest, and it has grossly inadequate drainage. Conditions ranged from soggy to submerged. The fairways were rutted because there are no cart paths over much of the course. Greens were shaggy-- about what I'd expect from a "Scotch green" used for winter play up North.
Traveling to the course requires a long but scenic drive.
Of the two 18-hole courses on St. Croix, this one is worth much less than you pay, and Buccaneer is worth much more.

Visited December 2013

Tampa, Florida
10 attraction reviews
“great layout”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

This golf course was a nice change fo me to play. Being from Florida I tend to play flat courses. Carambola has some nice rolling fairways and some challenging water holes.
The rental clubs were pretty good but a little pricey.
Definately worth the play.

Visited October 2013
Joplin, Missouri, United States
“A great day of golf”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

During our week-long vacation, we had many fun-filled activities. We carved out just one day for playing golf at Carambola Golf Club. The manager, David, was very nice and got us right in for an 8:00am tee time. When we arrived, he had our cart loaded with our rental clubs, and with a cooler full of ice! What service! The course was beautiful! My husband and I both shot the best golf we have ever played there. I don't know if it was the beautiful Carribean, or the rental clubs! The TaylorMade Burner 2.0s were AMAZING! So much so that my husband ordered me a set when we got home for an early birthday gift! I just picked them up today, and I hope I will play as well at home with them than I did there. Thank you, David, and all the staff at Carambola for a perfect morning of golf! We will definitely come back next time we are in St. Croix!

Visited June 2013
Dallas, Texas
4 attraction reviews
“NIce course, great people”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I was on a cruise and drove up to Carambola and played 18. The only thing odd was that the course was so empty in the off season - but I don't mind 3 hour rounds! Everyone from the guard at the gate to the folks in the pro shop were awesome.

Visited June 2013
Philadelphia, PA
“Hot, Dry and Deserted”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

St Croix is in a drought and it really showed at the Carambola Golf Course. March is usually lush and tropical here but the weather patterns havent been nice to the west "wet" side of the island. It was deserted with only a few players out, it was dry as a bone except for the irrigated greens and it was Hot, Hot, Hot. The views are valley bound with no sign of the wonderful coastline. Wait for better conditions.

Visited March 2013