“Wonderful, Relaxing and Quaint” 5 of 5 stars

The Waves at Cane Bay
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   112C Cane Bay, PO Box 1749 | Kingshill, 00851, St. Croix   |
Ranked #4 of 18 St. Croix B&B and Inns
Shelbyville, Indiana
“Wonderful, Relaxing and Quaint”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

If you are looking for a relaxing and calm atmosphere this place has it. If you enjoy listening to the waves while relaxing in your room or on the terrace, this is the place! It has beautiful views and very comfortable accommodations and it's clean and well presented. The owner Laura is very friendly and helpful and really cares about her guests and has plenty of beach chairs and towels for your use while visiting the island.
We loved listening to the waves every night with the patio doors open and slept very well as they soothed our minds to sleep, they can be loud at times but that did not bother us I found them to be calming. The bed is comfortable and the room was clean and had just enough space to relax yet cook something if you desired.
The restaurant is fabulous! The servers are top notch and make sure they take good care of you and that you enjoy your visit, we ate there almost every evening we were there because it was very good and we enjoyed the atmosphere and friendly staff and patrons, it's not cheap however but we felt so comfortable with the Waves we loved staying there and eating there. The lobster is wonderful!! The whole experience was perfect! If you like crowds and lots of people though plus hand and foot service like a resort it's probably not for you, we preferred a slower pace and being able to relax yet have great service for our evening meal. WE loved the Waves and would recommend it to anyone looking for a relaxing place to stay.

Room Tip: All rooms have an ocean view, you can't go wrong!
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2015

My husband and I have traveled a lot through the Caribbean. We are not fans of large resorts, we prefer guest houses and boutique hotels. The Waves is a small, lovely place on the north shore of St Croix. Our room was airy and light, and had a balcony which looked out at the Caribbean, with waves breaking right below on old coral. It was mesmerizing and we slept with the sliding glass doors open at night just to hear the sea. No bugs, as there was a nice breeze. Having that private view of expansive sea and distant headland with a lighthouse, and just the close sound of the ocean was heaven. Laura, who runs the inn, is very cordial and is a real hotel entrepreneur, and a world traveler. The outdoor bar at The Waves is a great hang out to chat with locals and other guests, and Laura in the evenings. The restaurant has extremely good food by anyone's standards, and it includes a wide array of fresh local seafood and local vegetables done in masterful dishes. Serious chefs at work here. The Caribbean lobster was amazing. The dining area is a sheltered outdoor space with a tide pool nearby and the beautiful waves crashing below. Incredibly romantic and unique setting. All the staff at The Waves were friendly and super competent. The whole north shore of St. Croix is lovely and has a vibrant local dining and bar scene, of which Waves is a gem. We will be back!

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2015

We were looking for a place between Christiansted and Frederiksted that would be more quiet and provide more of the feel of local St. Croix (not the tourist touch). Cane Bay and The Waves at Cane Bay provided both. Stayed seven days and met so many wonderful people (locals and others who did not want to stay in the towns while on holiday)

Laura has a twelve unit property that also includes a highly popular restaurant with covered or outdoor seating and bar. She has assembled a wonderful team to serve the locals as well as her guests six nights/week. Chef Brendon hails from Maine and has a 4 Star menu that will tantalize all tastes: duck, rack of lamb, steak, fish, lobster, etc. Every night there are specials from fresh caught Maui-Maui, Wahoo, or choose your own lobster out of their lobster pot in the tidal pool right by your table.

All rooms face the ocean and you hear the ocean splashing at your balcony each morning, afternoon, and night. End rooms have kitchens fully equipped to prepare your own meals if you choose. (utensils/pans are limited). Inside rooms do not have a stove I believe. Beds and pillows are fantastic. We traveled as a couple so as one reviewer mentioned if you don't require a lot of amenities, The Waves is perfect. I didn't see any families there with children so I can not comment.

Laura furnishes everything you need to go to the beach (3 minute walk): chairs/beach towels/coolers...whatever you need. If she doesn't have it, I'd be surprised. She was the most accommodating Innkeeper I have ever met. You want to just hug this former Boston lady!

Great local places to eat near by: Off the Wall and Eats (within walking distance) and Rowdy Joe's (short drive). All have great food and good drinks. Prices are very reasonable compared to staying in town.

Cane Bay has great snorkeling and diving. Dive shop is right at the beach. Already planning our next trip back to St. Croix and The Waves. Thanks Laura and Cane Bay for a wonderful seven days!!

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean front.
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2014

If you are looking for a hotel off-the-beaten-path within walking distance of beach snorkeling and scuba, this is the place for you! Because the hotel sits at the ocean-side, the balconies are completely private and the view is marvelous. The people here, Laura, Chris, and Brendan are very cordial and welcoming. Our room was huge and had a full kitchen. The bed and pillows were tres comfy! It was just like living in a temporary home on the beach. I loved the tidal-type pool they created in the ocean much more than a chlorinated pool. If you don't need a lot of amenities or someone fussing over you, this is perfect. I can hardly wait to go back. Even my husband suggested we move here when we retire, and he doesn't like beach vacations all that much. Thanks, Waves!

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

After spending a week in St. Croix staying at the Waves at Cane Bay, my husband and I are very sad to be home! It was our first stay at this hotel and it was perfect for us - even exceeded our expectations from the many fine Tripadvisor reviews.

First, the location is wonderful for those who don't want to get in a car for every trip to a restaurant, bar, or activities. If you are a diver, you probably know about Cane Bay and it's famous wall within swimming distance offshore. The Cane Bay dive shop is a five minute walk down the road, and snorkeling is great right off the hotel. There are some huge brain corals and sea fans to see right as you swim out the shore entrance at the Waves, as well as lots of juvenile fish. The setting of the hotel is absolutely beautiful, as you can see from the many pictures posted here. There are three great restaurant/bars also within walking distance, Eat@Cane Bay, Spratnet, and Off The Wall, and that doesn't even count the hotel's own restaurant. It offers delicious and imaginative food in the best atmosphere you could imagine - waves crashing at your feet, candlelight and tiki torches, and personal and attentive service. The hotel's bar is a great place to hang out and meet many interesting locals (even including owners of nearby establishments) and spend some time with Laura, the owner of the Waves.

Speaking of Laura, she is the best! Her personal touch and professional attention to detail is evident throughout the hotel and grounds. We immediately felt like we had known her for a long time. She is a great resource for ideas about places to see and activities that you might not have heard about from guidebooks or websites.

We stayed in room #12 upstairs, which was very spacious, light, and was kept perfectly clean throughout our stay. The kitchen was very well furnished with dishes and cooking utensils. While the absolute best part of the room was the balcony and view, the bed was a close second. Very comfortable with six huge king size pillows - luxury!

I think my list of praises for the Waves at Cane Bay should come to a close now, before you Readers think it sounds too good to be true! Please feel free to message me if you would like any more information about this wonderful hotel or the area in general.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

I recently spent three nights at The Waves at Cane Bay while in St. Croix on business. The owner, Laura, makes her guests feel like…well ... guests, and not customers. She is a lovely hostess and will make every effort to meet any request.

Location: Right on the water. All rooms face the ocean and the sound of the waves is perfectly tranquilizing. The hotel is just a few hundred yards from Cane Bay Beach. The beach is nice and the Dive Center there does a great job. The diving and snorkeling are fabulous. There are some nice restaurants in the immediate area for lunch.

Rooms: Simple and immaculate. I’ve never had a cleaner room or bathroom. The bathroom was spotless and the bed was very comfortable, as were the pillows. The room had a full kitchen, and although I didn’t do much cooking at all, it was nice to have the large fridge and microwave. The hotel provides very good coffee (not the yucky pre-packaged stuff). The room opens to a beautiful balcony that overlooked the ocean. It had a nice table/2 chairs and two nice lounge chairs. The room was serviced by a very quiet air conditioner. Nice flat screen TV.

Restaurant: I’m not exaggerating when I say that the dinners I had at Waves were among the best seafood dishes I have ever experienced. The Mahi Mahi hadn't been out of the water more than a few hours. Another evening I chose my live lobster from the grotto salt water pool and it was cooked to perfection. My server for all three dinners was Andrew, and he made the dinner all the more enjoyable. Very nice wine selections. Dining at the Waves is a MUST DO for anyone visiting St. Croix.

Tips: I think one needs a car to visit St. Croix. There is much to explore. Having a car made it nice to zip back and forth to the beach with my snorkeling /diving gear. Since the restaurant only serves dinner, I brought some instant oatmeal and fruit cups for my breakfast. Simple, and I saved my $$ and calories for dinner!

One final word… understand that this is not the Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons. If you are looking for the “Resort” treatment, this may not be your “cup of tea.” I can only hope that my visit to The Waves at Cane Bay will be my first of many. I wholeheartedly recommend it to my fellow Tripadvisors.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
St. Thomas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

Boutique style hotel in a truly unique area of the island. We did not want resort style accommodations so this was perfect. Laura, I assume is the owner, greeted us like we were old friends. Andrew and Kris the waiters at the restaurant were equally as friendly. The hotel is located on a country road right on the beach and a short drive from the rainforest. The restaurant located on the hotel property is amazing and the chef is available to talk to. If you order lobster they go right out to the beach and let you pick out your own lobster. It's a nice 2 minute flat walk to the beach down the road where another nice, more casual restaurant is located and the Cane Bay dive shop is right behind that. There are also two little beach bars within that 2 minute walk. You feel right at home no matter where you go in that area. Our room was lovely, simple and the bed was so comfortable. The sound of the waves is all you can hear and the deck was huge! It was like having another room and the kitchenette was perfect. We will definitely be back!!

Room Tip: Every room faces the ocean. Can't go wrong with any room
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Waves at Cane Bay? Share your experiences!