“Fresh lobster” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Inn   |   112C Cane Bay, PO Box 1749 | Kingshill, 00851, St. Croix   |
Ranked #4 of 18 St. Croix B&B and Inns
“Fresh lobster”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

We picked our lobster live out of a cage in the ocean! The waves crashing over was great ambience. The owner was very sweet. They had some great cocktails. Very different. It's a very romantic place even though we went as a family. Had the mahi the fresh catch was definitely different. Highly recommend.

Stayed June 2014

34 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

After spending a week in St. Croix staying at the Waves at Cane Bay, my husband and I are very sad to be home! It was our first stay at this hotel and it was perfect for us - even exceeded our expectations from the many fine Tripadvisor reviews.

First, the location is wonderful for those who don't want to get in a car for every trip to a restaurant, bar, or activities. If you are a diver, you probably know about Cane Bay and it's famous wall within swimming distance offshore. The Cane Bay dive shop is a five minute walk down the road, and snorkeling is great right off the hotel. There are some huge brain corals and sea fans to see right as you swim out the shore entrance at the Waves, as well as lots of juvenile fish. The setting of the hotel is absolutely beautiful, as you can see from the many pictures posted here. There are three great restaurant/bars also within walking distance, Eat@Cane Bay, Spratnet, and Off The Wall, and that doesn't even count the hotel's own restaurant. It offers delicious and imaginative food in the best atmosphere you could imagine - waves crashing at your feet, candlelight and tiki torches, and personal and attentive service. The hotel's bar is a great place to hang out and meet many interesting locals (even including owners of nearby establishments) and spend some time with Laura, the owner of the Waves.

Speaking of Laura, she is the best! Her personal touch and professional attention to detail is evident throughout the hotel and grounds. We immediately felt like we had known her for a long time. She is a great resource for ideas about places to see and activities that you might not have heard about from guidebooks or websites.

We stayed in room #12 upstairs, which was very spacious, light, and was kept perfectly clean throughout our stay. The kitchen was very well furnished with dishes and cooking utensils. While the absolute best part of the room was the balcony and view, the bed was a close second. Very comfortable with six huge king size pillows - luxury!

I think my list of praises for the Waves at Cane Bay should come to a close now, before you Readers think it sounds too good to be true! Please feel free to message me if you would like any more information about this wonderful hotel or the area in general.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

I recently spent three nights at The Waves at Cane Bay while in St. Croix on business. The owner, Laura, makes her guests feel like…well ... guests, and not customers. She is a lovely hostess and will make every effort to meet any request.

Location: Right on the water. All rooms face the ocean and the sound of the waves is perfectly tranquilizing. The hotel is just a few hundred yards from Cane Bay Beach. The beach is nice and the Dive Center there does a great job. The diving and snorkeling are fabulous. There are some nice restaurants in the immediate area for lunch.

Rooms: Simple and immaculate. I’ve never had a cleaner room or bathroom. The bathroom was spotless and the bed was very comfortable, as were the pillows. The room had a full kitchen, and although I didn’t do much cooking at all, it was nice to have the large fridge and microwave. The hotel provides very good coffee (not the yucky pre-packaged stuff). The room opens to a beautiful balcony that overlooked the ocean. It had a nice table/2 chairs and two nice lounge chairs. The room was serviced by a very quiet air conditioner. Nice flat screen TV.

Restaurant: I’m not exaggerating when I say that the dinners I had at Waves were among the best seafood dishes I have ever experienced. The Mahi Mahi hadn't been out of the water more than a few hours. Another evening I chose my live lobster from the grotto salt water pool and it was cooked to perfection. My server for all three dinners was Andrew, and he made the dinner all the more enjoyable. Very nice wine selections. Dining at the Waves is a MUST DO for anyone visiting St. Croix.

Tips: I think one needs a car to visit St. Croix. There is much to explore. Having a car made it nice to zip back and forth to the beach with my snorkeling /diving gear. Since the restaurant only serves dinner, I brought some instant oatmeal and fruit cups for my breakfast. Simple, and I saved my $$ and calories for dinner!

One final word… understand that this is not the Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons. If you are looking for the “Resort” treatment, this may not be your “cup of tea.” I can only hope that my visit to The Waves at Cane Bay will be my first of many. I wholeheartedly recommend it to my fellow Tripadvisors.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
St. Thomas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

Boutique style hotel in a truly unique area of the island. We did not want resort style accommodations so this was perfect. Laura, I assume is the owner, greeted us like we were old friends. Andrew and Kris the waiters at the restaurant were equally as friendly. The hotel is located on a country road right on the beach and a short drive from the rainforest. The restaurant located on the hotel property is amazing and the chef is available to talk to. If you order lobster they go right out to the beach and let you pick out your own lobster. It's a nice 2 minute flat walk to the beach down the road where another nice, more casual restaurant is located and the Cane Bay dive shop is right behind that. There are also two little beach bars within that 2 minute walk. You feel right at home no matter where you go in that area. Our room was lovely, simple and the bed was so comfortable. The sound of the waves is all you can hear and the deck was huge! It was like having another room and the kitchenette was perfect. We will definitely be back!!

Room Tip: Every room faces the ocean. Can't go wrong with any room
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Catonsville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

The Waves at Cane Bay is a truely wonderful vacation find! The view is breathtaking, the sound of the waves soothing, and the hospitality is second to none.
Laura made sure all of our needs were met from beach towels, bandages for wounds ;), "healthy" pours at the bar, and the best coconut ice cream EVER! Her attention to details, her friendliness, and warmth made this trip a wonderful first time to the island experience.
Brandon, the chef, has a wonderful gift of making each meal an experience. He made our first meal so enjoyable that in just a week we became regulars dining on fresh tuna, lobster, and chowders.
Andrew and Dennis and Wendy weren't just wonderful servers, bartenders, hosts but went that extra mile to make us feel as though we we've been friends for years.
The Waves at Cane Bay is a MUST DO on your trip to St. Croix!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

This was our second time staying here, and it's everything you want if you're looking for gorgeous views, the sound of the waves, a great gourmet restaurant on the premises, and a local feel. A very short walk to the beach and dive shop. The rooms are clean and simple, a full kitchen, a comfy bed, a balcony with waves and the view couldn't be better. It's exactly what I want when I travel. Laura, Dennis, Brandon, thank you again. Hope to see you again soon.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Southington, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Laura greeted us as if she'd known us for years. She was amazingly attentive to our needs and she made sure that we felt more welcome and at home than ANYWHERE we have ever stayed. Her hospitality was shadowed only by the breath taking view from our deck. The Waves is exactly what this ocean front hotel was destined to be named. The crashing of the surf into the ocean fed wading pool was a lullaby of relaxation I have yet to experience and the short 2 minute walk to the beach made our stay private when we wanted it to be and socially accessible when we needed it to be!

The room was very comfortable and exceeded our expectations for being a beach front hotel. The oceans salt and breeze can really put a hurting on these structures but The Waves was a testimony to vigilant upkeep and the needs of their guests. Down to the beach towels ,fridge,coffee pot , microwave and plenty of hangers to keep us happy .

The upkeep of our room was fantastic even though we advised that all we needed were fresh towels . We still came back from our adventures daily to see that our bed was freshly made and room cleaned.

Dennis the barkeep was FANTASTIC! We were lucky enough to be a part of his homemade basil infused vodka (one of the most savory martini's ever consumed) and his mint cucumber infused gin (which was to die for). His personality made you feel incredibly welcome and matched is specialty drinks superbly.

Chef Brandon was a master at his craft, serving up a stuffed lamb chop that was melt in your mouth perfection. His seafood entrees were delectable and the view from the restaurant/bar was picture perfect.

I can not put into words the amazingness of our stay at The Waves and we cannot wait to return to what we consider our newest home away from home...

Steven & Rebecca Grayson

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Waves at Cane Bay? Share your experiences!