“First Time In Providenciales” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Providenciales

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Providenciales
Directions
Providenciales
Greenville, South Carolina
“First Time In Providenciales”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2009

We just returned from a week in Providenciales. The first part of the week was very windy with winds from the NW at 22-27 miles per hour. Here's some tips for enjoying Provo in spite of the wind: Hang out at the pool (I know, NOT why you went to the T&C) or head over to Long Bay Beach and find a clearing up in the dunes and you will be protected by the trees and bushes. Taylor Bay and Sapodilla Bay were also out of the wind.

We were able to see most of the Island in the process of putting 300 miles on the cute little SUV from Grace Bay Rentals. It was a little beat up but good air conditioning and it got great gas mileage. We saw the Northwest Point, Nikki Beach, Taylor Bay, Sappodilla Bay, Carvings at Sapodilla Hill, Smith's Reef, Coral Gardens, Long Bay and Chalk Sound. We tried but did not find West Harbour. We also enjoyed walking for hours on Grace Bay Beach.

Tourism was way down during our visit. We stayed at the Sands, one bedroom ocean view. It was perfect and Hemingway's was great. Many resorts along Grace Bay looked to have fewer than a third of their rooms occupied. We went in a down time on purpose and that suited us just fine.

General tips from a first timer:

1/ Driving was no problem. As others have noted signaling for a turn with your windshield wipers was the hardest thing for Cindy and I to stop doing! If you are a first timer like us I would not recommend driving too far at night. Little signage and few street lights make it difficult.

2/ Phones: Digicell advertised a phone for $24.00 but when we went in the cheapest one they had started at $59.00 with no minutes included. Lime offered one for $32.00 but.... the cheapest one they actually had started at $64.00, again with no minutes. I ended up getting a phone for 4 days from the desk at the Sands. $36.00 and it came with 40 minutes and worked well.

3/ Weigh out at the Airport. My bag weighed 41 pounds at Greenville Spartanburg upon departure. I added one T-shirt and 1 hat and it weighed 51 pounds at the airport in Provo when departing?

4/ Also about the airport in Provo: They would not let me pass my underwater film camera around the x-ray when checking my carry on bag. Must be a weak x-ray as (fortunately) it did not affect the film.

5/ The weather: The forecast said rain every day and it did indeed rain every day. One day it rained 4 times between 10 AM and 9PM. A little dark cloud rolls over your spot on the beach and a cool rain falls on you for about 10 minutes and then the sun comes back out, no problem.

Summary: As advertised, one of the most beautiful beaches we have ever seen. The people were friendly and helpful. We spent a lot less money than we anticipated but then again we didn't search out any of the finer dining options. We were more than satisfied with the food and prices at places like: Jimmy's Dive Bar, Hemingway's, Middle Caicos Cafe and Pizza Pizza. The Sands is very well maintained and in a very convenient location. The snorkeling was excellent once the wind died down. Shopping was pleasant and successful at Mama's and Art Provo.

Hopefully the Turks & Caicos Islands will soon resolve their governmental issues, tourism will return, the empty retail spaces will be occupied and other first timers like ourselves will be able to sample a little piece of paradise! Thanks to all of the trip advisor contributors for providing all of the valuable information that helped make our adventure so easy. Next up: Santa Fe, New Mexico!

Brisbane
“favouite Island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2009

We have just returned from Provideciales Turks and Caicos Islands. Absolutely a fantastic place to go and relax and soak up some sun. People were very friendly. Restaurants were good and overal agreat place to visit.

California
“Great holiday in Provo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2009

Few weeks ago I went to Providenciales, Turks and Caicos for fun and relax. I spent great time, enjoying all the natural resources of that beautiful place. I would like to share few "tips and tricks":
Most liked beach - Grace Bay Beach; very clean, wide beach, the sand is almost white and the water has this unreal turquoise color.
Most liked activity - boat cruises; we enjoyed sailing, fishing and diving and the tropical sunsets are such a beauty.
In this period of time the weather could be a little bit cold and you may have cloudy day; happily, we had excellent weather, yet my wife needed a sweater in the afternoons.
The prices in the island are huge, even for food and beverages. We expect to spend some extra money, but the expenses were really big. We usually ate to Mango Reef, which is a nice place with good food and relatively fair prices. My favorite is the large salad with salmon and everything. I liked the mojitos, too. For snacks and sweets we found Fresh Bakery right in Grace Bay. They have absolutely fantastic mini cakes and pastries (oh, I love those pretzels!), but also lunch food is very tasty and prices amazingly low. The fresh coffee was my wife's every day choice.
We love Provo and the atmosphere of the Caribbean and we will definitely go back there for our next holiday.

chgo
“Two weeks of unhappy natives and bad food.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2009

I went with three Adults 49 - 55, two college kids 19 & 20 and a child.
We statyed in a $ 3 million house on the Long Bay Beach.
I have traveled to many, many tropical locations.
I am always understanding and happy.
This island is not a pleasant place to visit.
There is NO nightlife. The college kids hated it. They looked and looked.
The hookers are large and Black. I mean big.
The restaurants are horrible. Some natives are openly indifferent or hostile to visitors. The island is a small overrun desert. The water will make you sick.
The food selection is limited.
ALL food(even organes & bananas) is imported from the USA
and at least DOUBLE the price.
The businesses import Chinese, Dominicans, Philipinos, etc. to wash, build etc.
The natives are truely and rightly resentful.
This place has a very negative vibe.
I have never been to a place where the locals are so negative towards tourists.
Give this island a pass.
The beach is pretty.

mrschelsie
“Our honeymoon- now our fav. beach ever.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2009

We went to Provo on July 20th 08- July 28th 08 for our honeymoon, it was like a DREAM! We stayed at the Northwest Point Resort, and Mike was kind enough to let us rent his car for the week- because neither of us was 25- old enough to rent a car from the rental places. I urge you to consider staying at a hotel besides on Grace Bay- because our whole time at Provo we only went there once because it was always crowded! We usually went to the beach near our hotel or Malcolm Roads beach, we also went on a boat two different days to Little Moon Bay- Iguana Island. The rum punch is awesome- the view is breathtaking and the snorkeling is absolutely perfect!

Been to Providenciales? Share your experiences!