“Remote, friendly, quiet and secure resort for all ages” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Sunny Easter Getaway
Ranked #35 of 44 hotels in Providenciales
New York NY
“Remote, friendly, quiet and secure resort for all ages”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2010

I was attracted to this reosrt by the older reviews. I am a senior from New York and a little intimidated by left side driving. I travelled with 2 British young guys in early 20's so this would be a challenge for most locations to accommodate such varied ages. All of us were completely satisfied. The staff is the firendliest I have met in decades of travelling. The actual rooms are provided with all amenities, allowing for a family stay in comfort. I have not seen this at most resorts. We could catch our own food from the ocean and cook it or eat every meal at the new open air restaurant staffed by a first-rate chef. The pool and hot tub are steps from the rooms as is the ocen itself. The wi-fi was working, although required some tinkering by the staff. One really did not need to drive with the excelling dining onsite but with the provided rental car everything was within a 30 minute drive. The islands are just 3 hours flight from New York non-stop. The fishing, scuba and other sports kept the young men busy, whereas the close quiet beach was a joy to me. It is true, like in all tropics, that when the wind gets quiet insects can be a problem., This can be relieved with protective measures which I find better than sprayed chemicals coming in the windows at night as I have experienced elsewhere. The beach has no crashing waves so parents can feel secure in letting the kids play in safety. I never felt insecure at any time, although in any foreign country some caution is needed. Since only dollars are needed here, there was no change in exchange rates to make prices unreliable and the stores carried the usual goods seen at home. I cannot say that about most other islands in this area.. Obviously language is also no problem for the english-speaking. I would highly recommend this resort for those looking for a quiet, safe and non-touristy place to stay. I would only caution against reliance on the locak taxi's. The cars are safe and the drivers friendly but the prices make most city taxi's at home look like bargains. A 20 minute taxi ride for 2 people can easily cost $36 without the tip ! Driving is simple with no traffic so it makes sense to use the rental car. Roads are of the usual British Colonial quality - i,e, primitive but still
quite convenient and since the place is so small nothing requires a long drive anyway..
If you want a place with no one hawking you for your money, with a nice quiet ambiance, with attractions for all ages, and a feeling of being in a familar setting, then this is a place you would like. If you want formal dining, dancing, and partying with casino and nightlife, it's not for you.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends

216 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

We just returned from 7 days in Providenciales, Turks and Caicos and stayed the entire time at Northwest Point Resort which we found online via good reviews on Trip Advisor. We had an excellent experience with this resort. Here are some of the highlights:

1) the 1 bedroom ocean front room was beautiful, spacious and had great amenities including washer/dryer, oven, microwave, dishwasher, tv, etc. Also a nice balcony facing the ocean.
2) The manager MIke was extremely helpful in providing us information about excursions and places to see on the islands, restaurants, beaches, snorkeling, and also helped arrange better rates for some excursions. He always had an answer for us and was readily available.
3) The resort itself was beautiful and the architecture of the buildings also very appealing. The pool and hot tub were open 24 hours and were really great.
4) The beach is directly in front of the resort and is quite nice. We walked along it and thought it was nice to be away from the bulk of the tourists. We often had the beach to ourselves.
5) Though you need a car to get to and from the resort easily, the remoteness of it was exactly what my husband and I were looking for, and it only took about 20-25 minutes to get to the action where the other big hotels were along Grace Bay Beach on the other side.
6) At night the resort was super quiet and we never heard or were bothered by neighboring rooms.
7) Overall a great stay and we were extremely satisfied.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2009

We stayed at Northwest Point for two weeks November 2009. We had called ahead requesting a unit that was not on the ground floor so it was a surprise when we were shown to our unit on the ground floor. We were offered a unit on the second floor which was not beach front or a unit on the top floor (3 bdrm) which was beach front (like we had reserved) but we would have to pay the difference. Because we didn't need three bedrooms we stayed in the 1 bedroom on the ground floor. There were no towels in the kitchen for cleaning up. We asked for some and were told there were none. The screens for the patio doors were not in their tracks and every time we went outside, we had to fight with the screens. There were some security issues - the police were called out at night, two nights in a row because of prowlers. We were told the hotel would install something in the tracks of the patio doors to make the unit more secure but that never happened. The alarm clock in the bedroom did not work. One window in the living room never really locked securely. The WIFI was iffy and the tv stations are very limited - no NBC, ABC, CBS. The hotel has definitely seen better days and could use some upgrading in the suites. The pool area is lovely and Franco at the restaurant was great. The drive to the resort is no big deal once you know where to go.The resort is peaceful and quiet but the beach is not as nice as the main Grace Bay beach . Mike, Peter, Mary, Gina, and Jackie were all very nice and helpful. If you are looking for a no frills hotel with plenty of peace and quiet, you will enjoy this place. We are glad we stayed here to try it out but we will not be staying here the next time we are in TCI.

Nashville, TN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2009

My husband and I stayed here in late November because we got a great deal on the room as well as the free rental car. It IS a good deal as long as you don't mind having a rather unattractive beach. The beach looked much nicer on the website than it did in "person" but the main problem comes when you compare it to the rest of the beaches on Provo. Most of the beaches are absolutely stunning and this one does not begin to compare so we found ourselves driving to other beaches every day. I walked out on the Northwest Point Beach the afternoon of our arrival and never went back. Too much seaweed and too many biting insects: not a good place to snorkel or to read. I was prepared with insect spray but it did not help. We drove to Malcolm's Beach: very pretty but not "stunning" as described in guidebook. Taylor's Bay, however, is absolutely stunning and deserted. Truly beautiful. You can find it off of Sunset Point Drive, near Chalk Sound. Also, there is a nice beach access to Grace Bay at the far eastern side where you can sunbathe all to yourself (drive through a residential area to access). The rooms at the resort are nice and even though we booked a garden view room, we actually had a nice view of the ocean. The landscaping and grounds of the resort are well-maintained and very attractive. Very pretty pool. We ate at the restaurant twice: the first time, the food was not good.. the second time, it was delicious. The bar is poorly stocked: very little to choose from, and as a previous reviewer noted, no Turks Head Beer was available. The staff at the hotel are very friendly but not always very knowledgeable. We received lots of shrugs when we inquired about various places on the island. We loved the food and wonderful beachfront location of the Conch Shack in Blue Hills, just a short drive from the resort. Can't beat the ambience! Also, the Las Brisas Restaurant overlooking Chalk Sound is fabulous: both the view and the food! We met many friendly people on the island but also far too many who were not friendly at all. As we boarded the plane to return to the states, I heard dozens of comments regarding the lack of customer service and the lack of just a nice friendly smile from people in general. Garth, in the bar at Northwest Point, and Franko, the chef, were both extremely nice. I love the laid back style in the Caribbean and am not a stuffy person who expects to be waited on hand and foot. I understand that waiting is part of the "deal" in the Caribbean but I do like to see a friendly, smiling face, and the islanders on Provo have a long way to go. I suggest they head to Nevis (Nisbet Beach Plantation) because I have never met friendlier, nicer, more service-oriented people anywhere in the world. So, if you just want a cheap room to stay so you can drive to the other, beautiful beaches on the island, stay at Northwest Point. If having a beautiful beach is important, I cannot recommend this location.

Nanaimo, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2009

Had a great stay at Northwest Pont Resort Nov 14 - 22. I put much time and thought into where we would stay when in Provo and chose NWP for many reasons - main reason being that it would be peaceful and quiet and it certainly was.
Once we picked up our rental car we headed to the Graceway IGA and bought some beer and food to get us thru till we came back in to town. We then headed in the direction of the NWP and drove on what seemed a very narrow busy road and then on to a dirt road - so dark and no lights in sight - thought we had gone the wrong way for a while but finally came upon the NWP. It was a very stressful and scary drive out there in the dark! We were about an hour later than expected so there was no one in the office, which I do not have a problem with. There was a very nice note on the office door telling us how to get to our room. It had been left open with the key in the condo. We were on the second floor so a bit of a walk with the bags. They could really use a trolley to take luggage and groceries from your car to your room.
I had booked a 1 bedroom oceanfront condo and we were put in a 2 bedroom. Lots of room and had two bathroom. Three screened doors to the oceanfront deck. Incredible views from the deck - you can see all the way to Grace Bay. We never used the air-conditioning - we used the screens on all three sliding doors and were able to enjoy the warm breeze. We went to sleep each night and woke up each morning listening to the waves - this was just what I wanted when I booked the resort and it was wonderful. The rooms was very well equipped. Our toaster did not work so had to ask for a new one twice before we got one. The king size bed in the master bedroom had a bent center frame so it sagged badly in the middle. It took a day and half for it to be fixed and had to ask Mary three times about it. When it was finally fixed I felt like we were inconveniencing the maintenance fellow.
The beach is beautiful and the surrounding area is great for long walks. The Northwest Point Nature Reserve is right next door to the resort so we did many walks out to the point and around to Little Bay where we saw sea turtles very close to shore. I tried to snorkel here but it was too rough and shallow. The resort has three kayaks and a paddle boat for guest to use. The problem is that they only have 2 paddles and 1 anchor for 3 double kayaks. While we were there the kayak with the anchor was used frequently. It can be used to go far out in the water, anchor and snorkel from it. The reefs were great but you do have to go out quite a way - we went out more than 500 yards - saw lots. A couple of days we could not use the kayak as the paddles were signed out.
Mike, the manager, was very friendly and very helpful about the island. He told us about a great spot to snorkel on the other side of the island which we went to several times. Mary in the office was also very sweet. We had a maid come to clean the room each day. We ate in the onsite restaurant only once. The chef apparently used to be at Nikki Beach Hotel so I am sure there is lots of potential there. Found the menu very limited - lunch and dinner menu were the same. No drink special or happy hour to encourage people to use the bar/restaurant. We stocked up on groceries at the Graceway Gourmet - great store with everything you need. Found the prices pretty similar to home on most items. Beer and Liquor prices are the same as what we pay in Canada. We cooked all our meals in our condo - even had lobster tails one night. My husband was not comfortable going out for supper, having a couple of drinks and driving 20 minutes back to the resort in the dark. Crazy driving once it gets dark there!
We ventured out of the resort to explore the island every day. Driving in the daylight is fine. Lots of great beaches to see. For us staying at NWP was perfect because we love to walk, explore and have peace and quiet. If I had been there with a friend I would have chosen a resort on Grace Bay Beach to be closer to everything and for the great snorkelling at ‘The Bight Reef”. The beach was very nice at NWP but the water in front of the resort was not crystal clear. This was a huge disappointment to me. You had to go out about 100 feet or more before it cleared up. I was told this is a seasonal thing so maybe it is better at another time. The sea grass did not bother me but I like to see the bottom when I swim anywhere. There is no night life at NWP, which was fine with us and we were happy to stay in each night and have drinks in our room or on our deck. There was a nice TV in the room but limited TV stations - they do not get ABC, NBC or CBS so that was disappointing. Very sporadic internet reception.
I would recommend this resort for anyone wanting a relaxing, peaceful holiday - but you must have a car or you will feel very isolated.

Richland, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2009

I initially thought I wouldn't review Northwest Point. My wife and I spent 5 nights there with some friends and stayed at at an acquaintance's condo at no charge. I didn't want that fact to sway my review, but I thought if I mentioned that, you can take my review for what it's worth.

We loved our stay. The pool and resort were kept clean throughout our stay.

The restaurant at NW Point has great food, especially the jerk chicken wings. They're quite spicy, but have amazing flavor. Just a note on the menu the BBQ chicken and Jerk chicken are wings, which isn't mentioned. This is ok by me - I love wings. My wife thinks they're alot of work, but still thought the BBQ wings tasted great.

Each morning the sea grass was cleaned from the beach. Yes, there is sea grass in the water, but I think you'll get that any where in the Caicos. We walked along Grace Bay and saw where it had been raked clean of the grass.

Mike did a great job for us recommending a secluded beach for us where he'd marked good snorkeling. Unfortunately it was too rough when we where there to snorkel this beach. But don't bother going to Malcom Road beach. Go to Mike's beach. It's really part of the same beach, just a different, more secluded way to reach it. Mike also got us all the info to do a day trip to North / Middle Caicos. Any questions we had for him were answered promptly. We booked a rental car through him, which was waiting for us at the airport when we arrived.

Yes, NW Point is out on it's own. There's really noting else around - no stores or restaurants. But we knew that ahead of time and actually liked that it was out where things were quieter. Because of the remoteness, I would definitely recommend renting a car. The dirt road out to the resort is actually in better shape than the paved road on the island, so don't let that deter you from staying out there.

I'd recommend NW Point to anyone looking for a quiet stay on Provo. Just rent a car, so you can go get some dinner, and you'll be fine.

The only possible negative about our whole experience at NW Point was the missing Turks Head beer from the bar. They ran out our first night at dinner and didn't have any the rest of the week. But it's just beer, it's not really that big of a deal. I just like drinking the local beers while on vacation.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2009

A cozy, quiet hidden gem on the more secluded section of the island, with a great staff who focus on customer service! If you are looking for rest and relaxation and beautiful views, this is your place.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo

Been to Northwest Point Resort? Share your experiences!