“Peace and Quiet in an amazing setting” 4 of 5 stars

Northwest Point Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Northwest Point, Providenciales   |
Ranked #35 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Nanaimo, BC
“Peace and Quiet in an amazing setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2009

Had a great stay at Northwest Pont Resort Nov 14 - 22. I put much time and thought into where we would stay when in Provo and chose NWP for many reasons - main reason being that it would be peaceful and quiet and it certainly was.
Once we picked up our rental car we headed to the Graceway IGA and bought some beer and food to get us thru till we came back in to town. We then headed in the direction of the NWP and drove on what seemed a very narrow busy road and then on to a dirt road - so dark and no lights in sight - thought we had gone the wrong way for a while but finally came upon the NWP. It was a very stressful and scary drive out there in the dark! We were about an hour later than expected so there was no one in the office, which I do not have a problem with. There was a very nice note on the office door telling us how to get to our room. It had been left open with the key in the condo. We were on the second floor so a bit of a walk with the bags. They could really use a trolley to take luggage and groceries from your car to your room.
I had booked a 1 bedroom oceanfront condo and we were put in a 2 bedroom. Lots of room and had two bathroom. Three screened doors to the oceanfront deck. Incredible views from the deck - you can see all the way to Grace Bay. We never used the air-conditioning - we used the screens on all three sliding doors and were able to enjoy the warm breeze. We went to sleep each night and woke up each morning listening to the waves - this was just what I wanted when I booked the resort and it was wonderful. The rooms was very well equipped. Our toaster did not work so had to ask for a new one twice before we got one. The king size bed in the master bedroom had a bent center frame so it sagged badly in the middle. It took a day and half for it to be fixed and had to ask Mary three times about it. When it was finally fixed I felt like we were inconveniencing the maintenance fellow.
The beach is beautiful and the surrounding area is great for long walks. The Northwest Point Nature Reserve is right next door to the resort so we did many walks out to the point and around to Little Bay where we saw sea turtles very close to shore. I tried to snorkel here but it was too rough and shallow. The resort has three kayaks and a paddle boat for guest to use. The problem is that they only have 2 paddles and 1 anchor for 3 double kayaks. While we were there the kayak with the anchor was used frequently. It can be used to go far out in the water, anchor and snorkel from it. The reefs were great but you do have to go out quite a way - we went out more than 500 yards - saw lots. A couple of days we could not use the kayak as the paddles were signed out.
Mike, the manager, was very friendly and very helpful about the island. He told us about a great spot to snorkel on the other side of the island which we went to several times. Mary in the office was also very sweet. We had a maid come to clean the room each day. We ate in the onsite restaurant only once. The chef apparently used to be at Nikki Beach Hotel so I am sure there is lots of potential there. Found the menu very limited - lunch and dinner menu were the same. No drink special or happy hour to encourage people to use the bar/restaurant. We stocked up on groceries at the Graceway Gourmet - great store with everything you need. Found the prices pretty similar to home on most items. Beer and Liquor prices are the same as what we pay in Canada. We cooked all our meals in our condo - even had lobster tails one night. My husband was not comfortable going out for supper, having a couple of drinks and driving 20 minutes back to the resort in the dark. Crazy driving once it gets dark there!
We ventured out of the resort to explore the island every day. Driving in the daylight is fine. Lots of great beaches to see. For us staying at NWP was perfect because we love to walk, explore and have peace and quiet. If I had been there with a friend I would have chosen a resort on Grace Bay Beach to be closer to everything and for the great snorkelling at ‘The Bight Reef”. The beach was very nice at NWP but the water in front of the resort was not crystal clear. This was a huge disappointment to me. You had to go out about 100 feet or more before it cleared up. I was told this is a seasonal thing so maybe it is better at another time. The sea grass did not bother me but I like to see the bottom when I swim anywhere. There is no night life at NWP, which was fine with us and we were happy to stay in each night and have drinks in our room or on our deck. There was a nice TV in the room but limited TV stations - they do not get ABC, NBC or CBS so that was disappointing. Very sporadic internet reception.
I would recommend this resort for anyone wanting a relaxing, peaceful holiday - but you must have a car or you will feel very isolated.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Richland, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2009

I initially thought I wouldn't review Northwest Point. My wife and I spent 5 nights there with some friends and stayed at at an acquaintance's condo at no charge. I didn't want that fact to sway my review, but I thought if I mentioned that, you can take my review for what it's worth.

We loved our stay. The pool and resort were kept clean throughout our stay.

The restaurant at NW Point has great food, especially the jerk chicken wings. They're quite spicy, but have amazing flavor. Just a note on the menu the BBQ chicken and Jerk chicken are wings, which isn't mentioned. This is ok by me - I love wings. My wife thinks they're alot of work, but still thought the BBQ wings tasted great.

Each morning the sea grass was cleaned from the beach. Yes, there is sea grass in the water, but I think you'll get that any where in the Caicos. We walked along Grace Bay and saw where it had been raked clean of the grass.

Mike did a great job for us recommending a secluded beach for us where he'd marked good snorkeling. Unfortunately it was too rough when we where there to snorkel this beach. But don't bother going to Malcom Road beach. Go to Mike's beach. It's really part of the same beach, just a different, more secluded way to reach it. Mike also got us all the info to do a day trip to North / Middle Caicos. Any questions we had for him were answered promptly. We booked a rental car through him, which was waiting for us at the airport when we arrived.

Yes, NW Point is out on it's own. There's really noting else around - no stores or restaurants. But we knew that ahead of time and actually liked that it was out where things were quieter. Because of the remoteness, I would definitely recommend renting a car. The dirt road out to the resort is actually in better shape than the paved road on the island, so don't let that deter you from staying out there.

I'd recommend NW Point to anyone looking for a quiet stay on Provo. Just rent a car, so you can go get some dinner, and you'll be fine.

The only possible negative about our whole experience at NW Point was the missing Turks Head beer from the bar. They ran out our first night at dinner and didn't have any the rest of the week. But it's just beer, it's not really that big of a deal. I just like drinking the local beers while on vacation.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2009

A cozy, quiet hidden gem on the more secluded section of the island, with a great staff who focus on customer service! If you are looking for rest and relaxation and beautiful views, this is your place.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
south jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

We just got back from a 7 day stay at North West Point , Provo and it was a great experience. The remoteness of the resort was perfect for us. The staff was very helpful, curtious and available. The view from our room was spectacular-no buildings in sight, just the ocean and the adjoining National reserve. The room was well appointed and keep clean and neat by the staff. The pool and jacussi were spotless and well maintained. We have been through out the caribean and will return to NW Point next year. Can't wait!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Caledon, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2009

My husband and I spent 11 glorious days at NWP. This was our second trip to Provo, the first stay being last year at Seven Stars. While the units themselves at NWP's are not of the same caliber as Seven Stars (i.e. there is no marble on the floor and bathroom, the fixtures are not by Kohlor and the kitchen appliances are not by Krups), what it lacks in grandeur, it MORE than makes up for in sheer beauty (of surroundings), true serenity and "niceness" of the resort.

Perhaps this is why NWP continues to consistently rate high by returning vacationers. It has that "je ne sais quoi" which makes it a gem and which can not be commercially reproduced.

There are many aspects to NWP which are outstanding. First, the staff are wonderful.

Mike, the manager bends over backwards to accomodate your needs: he recommended the best snorkeling areas and best times to go snorkelling, he cooked bbq-ed lobster dinners for the guests (I never ate such delicious lobster), he chatted with you, he introduced people and organized events. As a manager, he is top-notch.

This attitude flows down to the staff - Mary, Pierre, Prusky, Jeannie, Robert. Our first morning there, we were casually offered a coconut by the maintenance guy while we were waiting for breakfast. The staff are friendly and smile a lot. You feel welcomed.

With respect to the actual unit, what you get at NWP, is a unit which has everything you need for your stay there - our unit was a one bedroom oceanfront and it had a full kitchen with stove, dishwasher, fridge, pots, pans, cutlery, dishes etc. The unit had a washroom with washer and dryer. There was a balcony accessible by two doors - from the living room and also from the bedroom. Our view was of the ocean and also the swimming pool, which was nice because there was some variety to what you were looking at.

My spouse and I found it helpful to bring our own dry food in a separate suitcase - rice, breakfast cereal, pasta sauce, salt, tea, sugar etc. Do not forget laundry soap as you will need it. This helps to keep the cost of food down. We found the IGA to be ridiculously expensive and thus went to less expensive supermarkets - try Quality Supermarkets on Leeward. In Blue Hills and Five Cays, there are tiny Mom and Pop stores, where you can buy pop, bread, juice, eggs, tomatoes, onions for a lot cheaper than the IGA. The Wine Cellar on Leeward is a neat little place to go into - the prices for some liquors are shockingly cheap. You can buy fresh seafood and lobster from Nessy's on Leeward or at the Fistheries in Five Cays. Ask Mike and he can provide directions to all the above.

The resort is not large and this is a plus, since your unit is only steps away from the beach and you do not have to walk too far. However, once you are on the beach, you can walk for miles in either direction. The beach is raked every morning in front of the resort however, beyond the edges of the resort it is not.

There is a nice breeze at the resort. This too is a definite plus, since it is quite hot. With the breeze, you do not notice the heat as much. My husband and I were not sure about the breeze (after reading other reviews on tripadvisor) however, once we got there, we were grateful for it.

We found that on many days we could wake up and go for a walk and meet no one on the beach. Once, I ran into a local fisherman. During the daytime we would often be alone on the beach. Sometimes you would have 2 to 4 people on the beach at a time. There was NEVER any issue with loungers. There were so few people that it felt like you had the place to yourself and it was very tranquil. The people we did encounter were pleasant, low key and wanted some quiet time.

This quietness makes it an excellent choice for couples and for families.

There are Kayaks and a Paddle boat. Lifejackets are available for your use. There are hammocks for reading in. There is a large chess board with pieces at the Grill. There is a bbq which guests can use. One hammock overlooks the boardwalk and beach and it is blissful to lie there and read.

The nature that surrounds the resort is amazing. My husband and I went snorkeling and encountered lots of fish - squid, rays, snapper, barracuda and on our last day, a baby shark. Another couple that was vacationing mentioned that they had seen a lobster in the water. While there are some patches of sea weed in the water, it is not bad and there are lots of areas where you can enter without any problems. There is an area of "flats" off to the west of the resort and you can walk out quite a ways at low tide (beware of the BIG resident barracuda which comes over to say hi when you are calf-deep in water). There are lots of different birds flying around the resort and on the beach are Pelicans, Terns, Herons etc. There is quite a variety and it is so nice to watch the birds fishing for minnows.

If you get bored off the main resort beach, you can drive 10 minutes up the road to Malcolm beach, into the National Park (be careful not to get stuck in the beach sand), Tinae (sp?) beach. There is excellent snorkeling in the water in front of Coral Gardens on Grace Bay. A drive out to Chalk Sound is very picturesque and you can find lots of remote beaches.

We took a day trip and went to North Caicos and also Middle Caicos. Middle Caicos has Caves which are neat to see. There is so much to do. And you don't necessarily have to empty your wallet to do so.

On the other hand, if you are a high roller, you can rent a boat for $1,100.00 per day and go big game fishing!

In the evening if you want to eat out, there are lots of restaurants on Grace Bay (20 minutes away by car), or you can stay closer to home and eat at the Conch Shack or Horse Eye Jack's, both in Blue hills and only 5 to 10 minutes away. Or you can go to Amanyara (10 minutes away) and have a nice meal there to. Or you can simply sit in your unit, make your own meal and eat dinner and watch CNN on the Couch! :)

There is satellite TV and we had no complaints over the selection of channels. There is wireless internet and I uploaded lots of pictures. I had not problems accessing the internet and staying connected by e-mail. It is not as fast as here in Canada, but it is not bad.

You may also purchase a license and go fishing. The resort has a rod, lures and bait (ask Jeannie for them at the Sunset Grill). My husband and I do so and fished off of Pirates Cove. We caught LOTS of fish (predominantly snapper, but a Starfish came up on my husband's line as well). The fish seem to like squid for bait.

NWP and Amanyara Resort are both on the same point on Provo. The difference between the two? Amanyara = Serenity and pampering; NWP = Serentiy and d-i-y nature. My husband and I took a trip to Amanyara and asked for a tour. The grounds are beautiful, if you are prepared to pay the price (I think starting in the range of $1,500-1,800 per night). We met the manager John and Ruth, the receptionist, who were extremely courteous, friendly. John offered a complementary drink, which we enjoyed watching the sun go down. Thanks John! BTW, the Mohitos at Amanyara are incredible!!!

The pool at NWP is a good size and VERY clean. The hot tub was one of our favorite spots. After a long day of traipsing around the island and resort, it was nice to grab a nice drink, and sit in the hot but and watch the stars and look for comets.

The food at the Sunset Grill is basic but good. We had breakfast, but it was good value for the money - scrambled eggs, toast, bacon, hash browns for $8.00. After a few days on the island you are glad to sit down and pay "regular" prices for something. Jeannie, the restaurant staff makes Amazing Pina Coladas ($5.00 each). I would highly recommend them.

Overall, we had an amazing time at NWP. We came back totally relaxed and happy with our choice. Please note that this resort would suit a more "independent" traveler - you need a car and if you want an "all-inclusive" resort, this is not the place for you.

It is quiet, beautiful and serene. That is what you get.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Lancaster, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2009

My wife and I loved our stay at Northwest Point Resort. The rates were affordable and Mike, the manager, was extremely helpful. In fact, although we paid for a one bedroom beachfront property, he upgraded us to a two bedroom one for free. The beach was beautiful and the water was perfect for snorkeling. We liked the fact that you felt like you were the only ones on the beach. This was a lot differnent from Grace Bay and the beaches next to it as they always seemd to be crowded. Although this resort is not all-inclusive, we found it to be a lot more affordable than the all-inclusive resorts.

The only downside to staying here was that at times, the service was kind of slow. They seemed to not have a lot of people on staff and a lot of the times, when we wanted a meal, we would have to wait a while until the server came. Once the server came though, she was very prompt in preparing the food and was very polite.

We would definitely recommend that you rent a car as this resort is a little out of the ways from the airport and downtown. Although it might seem kind of scary to drive on the other side of the rode, it is very easy to get used to. Having a car allowed us to drive to differnt snorkeling spots and since this island is so small, it is virtually impossible to get lost. The map that was given to us by the car rental company was very accurate and easy to understand and follow.

This island is very safe and at no time did we feel uncomfortable or feel like we were in danger. Turks and Caicos is definitely one of the jewels of the carribean and a must visit if you want to enjoy a relaxing holiday.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
St. Petersburg, Fl
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

My husband & I stayed at Northwest Point for our 7 day honeymoon. We chose the location based on all the great reviews , as well as the lower price compared to other T&C spots. We wanted something a little quieter since it was our honeymoon and didn't want to be on top of people at the beach.

The condo we got was perfect. Per other tripadvisor suggestions, we stopped and picked up groceries on our way from the airport. the kitchen had a full-size refrigerator, which we promptly filled with beer, wine, snacks, and breakfast goodies. This saved us a ton of money as the import taxes on everything make T&C fairly expensive for food & drink. We don't really cook, but if you wanted, there was a full eat-in kitchen at your disposal.

Our condo had a comfortable bed and had sliding doors in the bedroom and the living room that led out to porch, which had a great ocean/pool view. As native Floridians, we felt at home in the palm-tree, wicker, and ocean decor (but it wasn't cheesy or dated)

After a little too much sun one day, we also appreciated the puzzles stashed away in the cabinets, as well as the regular American cable tv channels (I think it was Direct TV). The hotel also has an honor system library, which I frequented often after spending so much time reading on the beach

The beach by the hotel was perfect...secluded & no rushing to get a cabana or anything. Some days it was just the two of us out there, which was fantastic. We also took advantage of the complementary kayaks and gave ourselves a sunset cruise one night.

During the week, we also visited Grace Bay a couple times for social interaction, as well as a range of delicious restaurants each night, including fantastic recommendations from the resort manager.

Overall, we had a great stay at Northwest, but keep in mind you've got about a 20-25 minute (straight) drive to Grace Bay area, so if you want to be out late & in the action, this probably isn't the hotel for you. T&C doesn't really have a lot of taxis, so you'll be doing the driving yourself, which may put a damper on your evening if you wanted to drink a bit (plus you're driving on the other side of the road!).

One other very minor complaint (which I expected based on pictures I saw online)...sometimes the beach & water at Northwest Point was very sea-weedy. I don't think they comb it all out every day like some of the hotels or resorts closer in town.

If you're looking for a little peace & quiet in the Turks & Caicos and are an independent traveler who likes to explore, this is a great hotel.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple

Been to Northwest Point Resort? Share your experiences!