“Prepare to be Disappointed in Almost Every Way Possible” 1 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
SUMMER SPLASH SPECIAL
Ranked #35 of 44 hotels in Providenciales
Chicago, Illinois
“Prepare to be Disappointed in Almost Every Way Possible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

We booked this hotel close to Christmas since it was the last one left, and honestly I think we would have been better off not coming. We arrived and there was no one at the front desk, so we sat outside with out luggage for an hour. There was only one set of keys, so we had to chase down the housekeeping for about an hour as well. We had to lug our baggage through the sand because the sidewalk from the desk to the condos was only halfway done. Then when we got our room we were TOLD TO NOT PUT THE AIR CONDITIONING ON because it was "expensive." Considering it was 85 degrees out and we paid 500 a night, I think putting on the air should be allowed. When we did try to put it on, it was broken anyways. Don't be fooled, this place isn't a resort, you are renting out someone's shabby condo. The pool had so much chlorine and was freezing, the beach was full of flies and seaweed. There were only 3 beach chairs, 2 of which were broken. You are literally isolated on the island, and the only restaurant on site is WAY overpriced and the waitress completely incompetent. You need to rent a car (another $80 per day) if you want to stay here and purchase food to prepare yourself. Basically to go to a truly beautiful beach like Grace Bay you need to drive there (about 30 min) and the road is unpaved. Literally, you drive along 15 minutes of pure rocks. When we came home at night the gate was open and the security guard was only there one time. OH, and YOU HAVE TO PAY EXTRA TO GET YOUR ROOM CLEANED. We only had one set of beach towels and weren't given more because they were "out" when we tried to exchange them for clean ones. Everyone we met at the resort was equally disappointed and had to rent cars and leave the resort. Did I mention there were geckos in our room too? Or that the hot water was turned off? Or that the "fitness center" wasn't open or working when we tried to go? The ONLY reason I could think of that people would want to stay here is if you hate society and want to go somewhere no one will find you. Don't waste your time or money. Read the other negative reviews, they are on point completely. I assure you, if you are looking for the resort experience with tropical drinks, good service, and wonderful beaches you will not find it here. Wish I read them before we vacationed here. The website pictures are VERY misleading. [Note- we did try to switch hotels, but considering it was Christmas everything else was booked]

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Kirsten v, Manager at Northwest Point Resort, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Northwest Point Resort is unique in that it is remote and yes it is at the end of a dirt road however, if you enjoy and prefer a location that is away from all of the larger hotels then this tranquil pristine destination is for you. No guest has ever waited an hour to check in, when every guest arrives we do make efforts to convey to everyone to try and conserve energy especially with air conditioning, northwest point is located on a point with trade winds daily, the fresh air and breezes naturally occur providing a wonderful island like experience. Our newly renovated restaurant features local cuisine and our staff are locals, you might experience difficulty in communicating but I assure you she is very competent, sincere and a genuine nice person. Many guests have commented that the service and the food is very good. We do serve tropical drinks just not thousands of guests daily. Northwest point is designed for guests who enjoy vacationing and essentially will experience a private resort like feel. We make efforts to keep our rates low and do not provide daily housekeeping, it does come at a daily cost of $20.00, We are in the business of renting condo's we are not a full service resort. Our website and all marketing channels clearly indicate that. Our condos are not shabby, they are well maintained and offer beautiful ocean front views. Our gym is open 24/7 without a lock on the door with brand new gym equipment for our guests to enjoy. We offer full kitchen amenities in each unit that provide guests with the option to prepare their own meals or to dine in our restaurant. I'm sorry we did not provide enough beach towels for you, most guests made efforts to recycle beach towel use. During your stay we were at capacity and several guests had expressed positive comments about how they enjoyed Northwest Point Resort as a choice for their holiday.

Lisa Franklin
Resort Management Group Owner

222 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Somerville, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one day, on our way back from Haiti, and it was, sorry to say, a mistake for many reasons. We booked this on Hotels.com not having been to Turks before. We're not fans of typical Carribean resorts and were drawn to Northwest Point by its location in a national park. Lesson number one- this is an isolated "hotel" and one should rent a car, better yet an SUV. Not realizing this, we took a taxi, which cost us $75 to get out there, and $100 to return to the airport- it's about a 30 minute drive, half of which is on a dirt road through the parklands (hence the SUV). The other reason one needs a car is that once there you're on your own for food, water, and whatever you need. This is not a resort, nor a hotel, it's a condo complex, where most of the units are rented out. There is a makeshift restaurant that is set up for one week around Christmas, otherwise there is no place to buy food, or even to get bottled water. As to the bottled water, we asked if the tap water was okay to drink, and we were told yes. That was unfortunate advice, since we all came down with diarrhea the next day (after having been fine being careful in Haiti). There was only one server at the "restaurant" who was nothing short of incompetent and uncommunicative. The food was okay, but expensive for what it was. Also, only half of the items were available that were listed on the small menu. Overall, at Northwest Point, there, was little attention to detail. Half of the beach furniture was broken, there were no beach towels available for us all day (we asked several times), there were kayaks but most were missing paddles. The condo itself appeared nice at first, but we soon realized that the air conditioner was not functioning. We were fed a line about humidity and pipes freezing, but after trying everything they suggested with no success, we lost our window to get it fixed and slept at night with windows and shades open with no privacy, with only some relief from the heat, and waking with the sun. The shades, windows, and tv all malfunctioned to some degree. There was soap from the last guests remaining in the shower. All this for a $661 dollar room (including a $100 tax!), not counting $200 in taxi rides and $175 for lunch and dinner for three people. On the way out, we gave our constructive criticism to the manager. We were given no apology, but just excuses that they really should change their name from resort to condos, and she said when people book through them, they arrange for a rent a car since you really need a car here. But most people these days book through travel sites. The plusses? Lovely beaches- miles and miles in either direction. Coral reefs right off the beach. And the pool area was nice. But overall, a really bad way to end our week.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Kirsten v, General Manager at Northwest Point Resort, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Thank you for your review and I am sorry to hear that your stay with us at Northwest Point was not a pleasant experience. Northwest Point is isolated and considered to be a remote tropical destination offering our guests tranquil and unspoiled conditions. I do agree that this location is not ideal for one night stays or stop overs due to its location and a car rental is a definite must if you wanting to get to and from the grocery store. It is a good 20 minute drive from the airport. Seeing you made your reservation through hotels.com it came through as an Expedia reservation, we unfortunately do not have access to any Expedia guests contact email information prior to arrival. 98% of our reservations are direct or contact us directly after making an online reservation to enable us to welcome you as our guest and send out our official confirmation which has all the relevant information concerning car rentals, check in procedures and map with directions.

I do apologize some of our menu options at the restaurant where not available on the day of your arrival , unfortunately after Christmas and the public holidays that followed their was a delay in the grocery order on December 27th when you arrived. With regards to our water, we have our own water desalination plant which goes through reverse osmosis and have not had any complaints from other guests and condo owners that drink this water on a regular basis. Our water is tested daily.

The condo you stayed in was previously occupied for a weeks vacation with no AC problems and upon being informed I sent our property manager to access the problem which could not be fixed that evening. Unfortunately the AC company was already closed for the evening and came out to fix the AC the very next day.

Thank you for your compliments about our lovely beaches, coral reefs and swimming pool area. We pride ourselves in our location being away from the "Hussle and Bustle" of the big resorts with miles and miles of private beach in either direction.

I do hope you and your family can return to Northwest Point in the not too distant future to give us a chance to change your bad experience into a memorable family experience. Feel free to contact me directly at reservations@northwestpointresort.com at any time and I will be happy to offer you and your family a 25% discount on your next stay in a condo of your choice.

A Happy and prosperous new year to you and your family, may 2014 be a great year!

Kind regards

Kirsten van der Merwe
and staff of Northwest Point Resort
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Great condo property. Huge suites. Great location. Beach on the edge of the property great for swimming and snorkelling and walking. Cleaned nightly. Close to town of Provo. Beside a national park. Great service.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

The resort was an excellent get-away. It was secluded fromm the more populated areas on the island, but still close enough to take a short drive to "town" for supplies and restaurants. The grounds were excellent. Beautiful and well maintained!! The beach was gorgeous!! The accommodations were clean with lots of space. The only thing missing was an on-site restaurant, but as I mentioned it was a quick drive to town for lunch or dinner. I highly recommend this resort to anyone looking to be slightly removed from the big crowds.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed at Northwest Point this spring and had such an incredible time! Was so nice to be so warmly welcomed upon our arrival, and the flexibility of the check-in was much appreciated. Loved the room we stayed in - was very comfortable and convenient to be able to grocery shop in town and have the ability to make a couple of meals at 'home'. The vast space in the condo is not anything you'd find at any hotel - anywhere. I absolutely LOVED the property and the fact that it wasn't one of those big, gaudy resorts that is jam-full of way too many people. Being in an intimate setting really allowed us to relax more and it also allowed us to enjoy the feel of the island more - hard to do in a massive "american-style" resort.Spent most of our time in the pristine pool and on the gorgeous beach, when we weren't napping in the ocean-side hammock :). Northwest was the perfect place to get away to, and recharge our batteries. Long walks morning & night on the beach, a short drive into town when we needed anything, and the hospitality was unbeatable. I never return to the same destination twice for vacation, but have already started planning my second trip to Northwest Point which should really say just how much I loved it there. I'd highly recommend this resort for anyone looking to decompress and enjoy Turks the way Turks is meant to be enjoyed!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Providenciales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

The title just about sums up my recent stay at Northwest Point Resort in Turks and Caicos . I have visited the island of Providenciales a few times in the past, and I am quite familiar with the island in terms of its geography, so I decided to take a chance on the northwest side of the island for a change of pace. The thought of rest and relaxation away from the Grace Bay tourist scene seemed like a great idea, so I booked my stay through Expedia and hoped for the best. I had driven by the resort while on past visits, and was fully aware of both the 4-mile dirt road and the resorts relatively long distance from local attractions. I had also read other travelers reviews of the resort, and sensed this was a hit or miss scenario – but I was not prepared for the ordeal that was to come.
Again, I booked the trip via Expedia for a Sunday arrival at the resort, and received confirmation of my booking along with an advisement to contact the hotel and provide them with my flight number and arrival time. My first attempt was by telephone and there was no answer at the resort. My second attempt was an e-mail that went directly the Blue Mountain Properties in Canada. I received a response stating that I was confirmed for arrival on the date scheduled and time.
I arrived at the hotel on Sunday, at the prescribed time, only to sit outside the resort at a locked security gate with no signs of life anywhere nearby. I decided to subvert the security gates on foot and walk to the Reception area, but there still were no signs of life - just a sign on the door advising me to call this person and that person. There was one problem. I did not have a cell signal on that side of the island (my cell phone company’s issue), so I was stranded at the gates of what was to become my own personal hell.
Having already breached property security, I decided to make my way 100 yards down the courtyard into the pool area. It was there I met a woman, a guest/owner, who directed me to the now somewhat famous savior of Northwest Point – Charles. The man looked at a weary solo traveler who was thousands of miles from home; stepped up and got me into a room until the Reception issue could be resolved the next day.
It helps to explain that the property is a VERY loose combination of condo owners who rent their condos when not in use personally, and a hodge-podge of rental rooms for hotel purposes. Many resorts operate in this manner, and the two often blend or overlap. This is not the case with NWP. There is an evident clash between the two sides (hotel and condo), and when combined with a laissez-fair and hands-off stance of Blue Mountain Properties in Canada, the result is mismanagement and blunder. Not only are the two sides of the property at odds within the local island realm, the management seemingly turns the blind eye and allows this to exist…only creating more animosity amongst all.
Anyway, I digress. Charles set me up with a lovely room and told me that he could get me the key to the room on Monday when the hotel property manager, Tracey, was on duty (his was a master key) Monday came but it was a national holiday – Emancipation Day – and Charles said the property manager probably wasn’t coming to work that day. He agreed to lock my door for me while I went to visit some friends, and that we would me back at the resort between 2-3pm that day and he would open the door again.
When I arrived back at the resort I was surprised to see that Tracey (the hotel manager) was in the Reception office. I stopped in to see if I could get a key, only to be greeted with “…there seems to have been some mix-up with your room” Apparently the owner of the unit had booked the unit to other guests (who actually HAD a key), and there were two strangers in my room, going through all my stuff – money, laptop, passport, etc. I was livid. I still am peeved and skeeved by this. The property manager advised me to gather my belongings, and that she would put me in another room. At that point I was ready to explode. I wasn’t sure that I wanted to stay there any longer, but had no other option (other than sleeping in the rental car or on the beach). I was put into another unit, but couldn’t escape the nagging and lingering thought of someone being in my room again if I came back to the resort. When I was in the room, I kept expecting a either knock at the door with another “eviction notice” or a midnight visitor while I attempted to sleep. Needless to say I couldn’t get comfortable the rest of the trip and felt a genuine uneasy feeling while in paradise.
Note: The hotel management did call my home while I was in Turks and Caicos and offer their apology for the mix-up, citing “staffing issues” which they were “addressing”. That’s all well and good for the next traveler, however, I feel cheated out of a relaxing vacation due to the stress from the stay at Northwest Point.
Overall, if you like Gilligan’s Island (you’ll be stranded, which can be good) with a bit of a “Twilight Zone” twist (there’s a certain “funk” about this place…can’t place my hand on it yet), then you’ll love NWP. If you want something a bit more mainstream, the stay at Grace Bay. Better yet, there are TONS of cheap rentals on the island – find one and enjoy.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Sheldon R, Manager at Northwest Point Resort, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of Northwest Point Resort. It is unfortunate that our receptionist was not there to greet you at the front gate and for that we apologize, upon discovering that she was not there we responded as quickly as possible. The owner that had a group arriving did not notify us that he was using it and for that ,we apologize, however, Northwest Point Resort is private, tranquil, with unobstructed views of the ocean, sunsets and sunrises with 16 miles of gorgeous beach.. and not for everyone. It is a beautiful gem that as far as ocean front resorts go is practically non existent on Caribbean islands. It is not an all inclusive with thousands of tourists running around,.. it is remote, private and an ideal place to escape from the hustle and bustle of city life. As far as suggesting that is unsafe? we provide security for guests and have never had a problem in the past. We hope to see you again, and thank you for staying with us at Northwest Point Resort.
Cincinnati
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

...but like many of the reviews be aware of some trade offs, and make sure Northwest Point resort is your family's type of place. We decided in late January to try for a warm water destination for Spring Break for this couple and college student, and TCI came up as a new destination. We've been to Grand Cayman and St. Thomas/St. John, & loved them.
We agonized over the choice between a couple of possible "Grace Bay Central" resorts vs. NWP, and made the decision primarily based on the fact that our favorite beaches are uncrowded ones.
As noted, this property is way out on it's own, but the rental car was included in our 6 night stay, so beyond the minor drive time it was mostly a wash. As noted, the drive requires some intense concentration, as the paved highway is a main road with many people on foot, and the driver in front of you is likely to pull over to give others a ride. The dirt road is in good shape and sparsely traveled. Driving on the left, with left hand roundabouts and very little signage took all 3 of us to navigate safely!
Northwest Point Resort itself was perfect for us...big, clean, comfortable 2 bedroom beachfront condo with everything we needed, including a well-equipped kitchen. The property is impeccable and so quiet it was unnerving at first (how many places can you say that about?). The first night we had the windy conditions discussed on these reviews, but after that it was calm and beautiful, and the diligent beach-cleaning efforts dealt with the sea grass entirely. The staff was great...we had asked if someone could stock some beer, since we were arriving on Sunday (no alcohol sales at stores), and sure enough a couple of six-packs were in the fridge! Get's my vote!
There is one last positive I should mention about the secluded location...it was the perfect home base to use to explore the rest of the island, especially the world-class Malcolm's Road beach (right across the point). Incredible.

Room Tip: Beachfront was beautiful, but get an upper floor if possible. Beachfront faces East, so know that su...