“Turks Trip” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 44 hotels in Providenciales
Edmonton, Canada
“Turks Trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Great condo property. Huge suites. Great location. Beach on the edge of the property great for swimming and snorkelling and walking. Cleaned nightly. Close to town of Provo. Beside a national park. Great service.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

223 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

The resort was an excellent get-away. It was secluded fromm the more populated areas on the island, but still close enough to take a short drive to "town" for supplies and restaurants. The grounds were excellent. Beautiful and well maintained!! The beach was gorgeous!! The accommodations were clean with lots of space. The only thing missing was an on-site restaurant, but as I mentioned it was a quick drive to town for lunch or dinner. I highly recommend this resort to anyone looking to be slightly removed from the big crowds.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed at Northwest Point this spring and had such an incredible time! Was so nice to be so warmly welcomed upon our arrival, and the flexibility of the check-in was much appreciated. Loved the room we stayed in - was very comfortable and convenient to be able to grocery shop in town and have the ability to make a couple of meals at 'home'. The vast space in the condo is not anything you'd find at any hotel - anywhere. I absolutely LOVED the property and the fact that it wasn't one of those big, gaudy resorts that is jam-full of way too many people. Being in an intimate setting really allowed us to relax more and it also allowed us to enjoy the feel of the island more - hard to do in a massive "american-style" resort.Spent most of our time in the pristine pool and on the gorgeous beach, when we weren't napping in the ocean-side hammock :). Northwest was the perfect place to get away to, and recharge our batteries. Long walks morning & night on the beach, a short drive into town when we needed anything, and the hospitality was unbeatable. I never return to the same destination twice for vacation, but have already started planning my second trip to Northwest Point which should really say just how much I loved it there. I'd highly recommend this resort for anyone looking to decompress and enjoy Turks the way Turks is meant to be enjoyed!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Providenciales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

The title just about sums up my recent stay at Northwest Point Resort in Turks and Caicos . I have visited the island of Providenciales a few times in the past, and I am quite familiar with the island in terms of its geography, so I decided to take a chance on the northwest side of the island for a change of pace. The thought of rest and relaxation away from the Grace Bay tourist scene seemed like a great idea, so I booked my stay through Expedia and hoped for the best. I had driven by the resort while on past visits, and was fully aware of both the 4-mile dirt road and the resorts relatively long distance from local attractions. I had also read other travelers reviews of the resort, and sensed this was a hit or miss scenario – but I was not prepared for the ordeal that was to come.
Again, I booked the trip via Expedia for a Sunday arrival at the resort, and received confirmation of my booking along with an advisement to contact the hotel and provide them with my flight number and arrival time. My first attempt was by telephone and there was no answer at the resort. My second attempt was an e-mail that went directly the Blue Mountain Properties in Canada. I received a response stating that I was confirmed for arrival on the date scheduled and time.
I arrived at the hotel on Sunday, at the prescribed time, only to sit outside the resort at a locked security gate with no signs of life anywhere nearby. I decided to subvert the security gates on foot and walk to the Reception area, but there still were no signs of life - just a sign on the door advising me to call this person and that person. There was one problem. I did not have a cell signal on that side of the island (my cell phone company’s issue), so I was stranded at the gates of what was to become my own personal hell.
Having already breached property security, I decided to make my way 100 yards down the courtyard into the pool area. It was there I met a woman, a guest/owner, who directed me to the now somewhat famous savior of Northwest Point – Charles. The man looked at a weary solo traveler who was thousands of miles from home; stepped up and got me into a room until the Reception issue could be resolved the next day.
It helps to explain that the property is a VERY loose combination of condo owners who rent their condos when not in use personally, and a hodge-podge of rental rooms for hotel purposes. Many resorts operate in this manner, and the two often blend or overlap. This is not the case with NWP. There is an evident clash between the two sides (hotel and condo), and when combined with a laissez-fair and hands-off stance of Blue Mountain Properties in Canada, the result is mismanagement and blunder. Not only are the two sides of the property at odds within the local island realm, the management seemingly turns the blind eye and allows this to exist…only creating more animosity amongst all.
Anyway, I digress. Charles set me up with a lovely room and told me that he could get me the key to the room on Monday when the hotel property manager, Tracey, was on duty (his was a master key) Monday came but it was a national holiday – Emancipation Day – and Charles said the property manager probably wasn’t coming to work that day. He agreed to lock my door for me while I went to visit some friends, and that we would me back at the resort between 2-3pm that day and he would open the door again.
When I arrived back at the resort I was surprised to see that Tracey (the hotel manager) was in the Reception office. I stopped in to see if I could get a key, only to be greeted with “…there seems to have been some mix-up with your room” Apparently the owner of the unit had booked the unit to other guests (who actually HAD a key), and there were two strangers in my room, going through all my stuff – money, laptop, passport, etc. I was livid. I still am peeved and skeeved by this. The property manager advised me to gather my belongings, and that she would put me in another room. At that point I was ready to explode. I wasn’t sure that I wanted to stay there any longer, but had no other option (other than sleeping in the rental car or on the beach). I was put into another unit, but couldn’t escape the nagging and lingering thought of someone being in my room again if I came back to the resort. When I was in the room, I kept expecting a either knock at the door with another “eviction notice” or a midnight visitor while I attempted to sleep. Needless to say I couldn’t get comfortable the rest of the trip and felt a genuine uneasy feeling while in paradise.
Note: The hotel management did call my home while I was in Turks and Caicos and offer their apology for the mix-up, citing “staffing issues” which they were “addressing”. That’s all well and good for the next traveler, however, I feel cheated out of a relaxing vacation due to the stress from the stay at Northwest Point.
Overall, if you like Gilligan’s Island (you’ll be stranded, which can be good) with a bit of a “Twilight Zone” twist (there’s a certain “funk” about this place…can’t place my hand on it yet), then you’ll love NWP. If you want something a bit more mainstream, the stay at Grace Bay. Better yet, there are TONS of cheap rentals on the island – find one and enjoy.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Sheldon R, Manager at Northwest Point Resort, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of Northwest Point Resort. It is unfortunate that our receptionist was not there to greet you at the front gate and for that we apologize, upon discovering that she was not there we responded as quickly as possible. The owner that had a group arriving did not notify us that he was using it and for that ,we apologize, however, Northwest Point Resort is private, tranquil, with unobstructed views of the ocean, sunsets and sunrises with 16 miles of gorgeous beach.. and not for everyone. It is a beautiful gem that as far as ocean front resorts go is practically non existent on Caribbean islands. It is not an all inclusive with thousands of tourists running around,.. it is remote, private and an ideal place to escape from the hustle and bustle of city life. As far as suggesting that is unsafe? we provide security for guests and have never had a problem in the past. We hope to see you again, and thank you for staying with us at Northwest Point Resort.
Cincinnati
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

...but like many of the reviews be aware of some trade offs, and make sure Northwest Point resort is your family's type of place. We decided in late January to try for a warm water destination for Spring Break for this couple and college student, and TCI came up as a new destination. We've been to Grand Cayman and St. Thomas/St. John, & loved them.
We agonized over the choice between a couple of possible "Grace Bay Central" resorts vs. NWP, and made the decision primarily based on the fact that our favorite beaches are uncrowded ones.
As noted, this property is way out on it's own, but the rental car was included in our 6 night stay, so beyond the minor drive time it was mostly a wash. As noted, the drive requires some intense concentration, as the paved highway is a main road with many people on foot, and the driver in front of you is likely to pull over to give others a ride. The dirt road is in good shape and sparsely traveled. Driving on the left, with left hand roundabouts and very little signage took all 3 of us to navigate safely!
Northwest Point Resort itself was perfect for us...big, clean, comfortable 2 bedroom beachfront condo with everything we needed, including a well-equipped kitchen. The property is impeccable and so quiet it was unnerving at first (how many places can you say that about?). The first night we had the windy conditions discussed on these reviews, but after that it was calm and beautiful, and the diligent beach-cleaning efforts dealt with the sea grass entirely. The staff was great...we had asked if someone could stock some beer, since we were arriving on Sunday (no alcohol sales at stores), and sure enough a couple of six-packs were in the fridge! Get's my vote!
There is one last positive I should mention about the secluded location...it was the perfect home base to use to explore the rest of the island, especially the world-class Malcolm's Road beach (right across the point). Incredible.

Room Tip: Beachfront was beautiful, but get an upper floor if possible. Beachfront faces East, so know that su...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We found a great deal to travel to the Turks & Caicos in February of 2012 for 2 weeks. A one bedroom condo, complete with well-equipped kitchen, in-suite laundry and roomy sitting area that opened onto a walled patio overlooking the gardens/pool area with a direct view to the ocean. There was maid service daily to take away any trash and linen changes every 3 days. Fresh flowers were refreshed and the staff were quite friendly and accommodating.

At Northwest Point it seemed we were often on our own. The pool was lovely and clean, the gardens were extremely well tended and there were coconut palms and flowering shrubs throughout the property. Many of the units are owned by independent owners and rented out, others are part of the Resort rental program.

The beaches: Wow! We were often the only people on the beach. Beautiful white sand, we could walk for an hour and not see anyone. We took our snorkel gear along and would just randomly pick spots to go out with the masks and see what we could see. There is a small reef less than 100 m off the beach right in front of the resort. Walk all the way along to the very northwest point of the island to see amazing crashing waves, the large osprey nest and more snorkeling opportunities on calmer days.
You want to rent a car, as the resort is a good 15-20 minute drive to town where you can pick up groceries and definitely for wine/beer go to the liquor store on the 'main drag' towards Grace Bay. The Turks' Head beer is locally made, a great value and very good.
With the car, you'll be able to travel to the south west point to a beautiful cove with powder white sand, very shallow with gorgeous bright red/orange star fish. (please leave them in the water!!) Its a long drive but worth it. Great snorkelling as well at the northwest point reserve/park.
We had a great time exploring the beaches, relaxing in the almost constant breeze off the ocean. The weather was fabulous the whole 2 weeks, I think it rained one day.
The beach palapas area is also a very romantic spot for a moonlight proposal...
Fabulous trip, would definitely consider going back to Northwest Point Resort again once we have exhausted all the locations in the Caribbean we want to travel to.
Note: the restaurant has some good food but they are not always prepared to serve everything on their menu. I believe there is a 'call ahead' suggestion in the check in documents but as all the units have kitchens, no doubt they have some challenges. They will supply you with a cooler and ice for a day on the beach and are certainly willing to cook special meals if they have some notice. Conch fritters are a great and a real specialty.

Room Tip: most rooms are going to have either a garden/pool/ocean view or an external grounds/ocean view...I d...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We spent a week at Northwest Point Resort. The condo we rented was very comfortable, with a beautiful view of the ocean, a well-appointed kitchen, a comfortable bed, etc. We knew that Northwest Point was off-the-beaten-path, and were fine with being in a secluded spot. However, we didn't know that being at the far Northwest end of the island it would be windier and cooler than beaches on the north or south shore, to the point that, at least in February, it was too cold for us to hang out on our balcony or on the beach most days (even though the temperature was between 80 and 85 during the day). We had a car, so we went to beaches in Grace Bay and Sapodillo Bay, and had a lovely time overall.

Accommodations in Provo are generally very expensive, and the price for Northwest Point is good compared to being "on the strip" in Grace Bay, but the competitive price is offset by the micro-climate, at least the week we were there.

Finally, we did not know in advance that the restaurant at Northwest Point Resort had recently closed . . . so while we stocked up at the grocery store and cooked for ourselves many days, we were disappointed not to have option to get a meal on-site occasionally.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Northwest Point Resort? Share your experiences!