“Still an avid fan of this posh Condo Resort” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
25% off 5 nights
Ranked #20 of 44 hotels in Providenciales
Colleyville, Texas, USA
“Still an avid fan of this posh Condo Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2009

This is our (family) 2nd year to visit Providenciales and the Somerset Resort. We had such a good time in 2008 we booked about 7 or 8 months in advance and had requested 302 or 303 and were told it would not be a problem. Unfortunately it was a problem and my internal tension was extremely high as AA had lost my 2 bags. I was not in a good mood and when told that we could not have one of the rooms we had requested, I thought this may not be the trip I was expecting. We were told that they do not guarantee specific rooms and I actually understand that, but we had been told that it would not be a problem. The front desk manager asked us to just relax and he would figure out a solution with the manager. He returned and offered us our first night in D2, which is an ocean front beauty that we would never consider due to the price per night. He then said a unit in the Sterling House would be available and we could look at it in the morning and they would move us over or I could pay an extra upgrade price per night and stay in D2. When we walked in, we knew it would take a small army to get us out of D2. We had loved our stay last year in the Sterling House unit 302, which was 2150 sq. ft., but the D2 ocean front with a huge wrap around balcony was really unbelievable. The view from the balcony has no equal. I am sure we will not spend the money it takes to make this unit our home for a week next year, but the point is more about how well we were treated and the extremely fair offer they extended to us...The staff is as friendly a group as I have ever encountered and will do everthing possible to accomodate your stay. From Winston delivering your bags to Warren following up everyday to see if you need anything. The maid service was also very good and made two visits a day.

So what did we do different this year and what did we learn. Make that trip to the IAG and we visited both. We prefer the older one on the Leeward Highway. It is a bigger store and has more to offer. The new one is more of an upscale version and the prices are upscale. I made lunch on the outdoor Viking Grill a few times and dinner twice. You can get fresh seafood at 5 Cays and I recommend the red fish or grouper. For restaurants we went to the Magnolia, which we discovered last year. We added another big hit this year with Grace Point Cottage. Both of these are superb and while expensive, well worth the investment. We did not like Coco Bistro and hated the Conch Shack. You will hear a lot about the Conch Shack and we went on the recomendation of both other tourist and locals. I just believe they hate to say anything bad about anything on the Island. While the atmosphere is open air with bare feet in the sand on picnic tables, the food reminded me of Long John Silvers with a lot of grease involved. Just was not our cup of tea. After being beat up with high cab fares last year, we rented a car this year and it was great having it available. Work on getting a car reserved long in advance of your trip. We opted for a local Island company. We were told it would be a luxury Toyota Camry. When we picked the car up outside the airport it was a 1999 Sunny (whatever that is) with 57,000 miles on it. Lesson; probably go with a major Rental Agency and make sure you understand what you will get in writing. I noticed a lot of Avis cars and they were newer, much newer. However, having a rental car is a very nice thing to have.

We go in the summer as rates are lowered because it is the off season. It was 85 to 92 degrees, so a little warmer than winter. The big difference this year was that the economy problems must have kept people home. The Somerset was the most busy of all the resorts and for the most part, I do not think over another 10 to 15 families were staying at the Somerset...It was not crowed at all and one of the reasons we like it so much. I took out one of the Hobie Cats everyday and the beach was deserted in both directions. We also took a snokeling tour with Dream Tours (done twice now) and we passed the Nikki Resort, which is an upscale Hotel, and the beach did not have a soul on it. You must take the Dream Tours snokeling and Conch dive tour. Shaun is the captain and makes the 1/2 day tour a must do. We were drawn into trying the Anaconda Infinity Bar......don't do it. It is a wonderful piece of marketing, but in the end, it is not anything worth seeing and 4 drinks cost me $88.00. Hotel type place and more South Beach type of crowd..If this is your crowd, you may like it. I like the feeling of a home and the Somerset does this better than any place I have ever been. I have over 3 million miles on American, so I have been to a lot of places.....

So that covers this years visit. I give the Somerset 5 stars all around except for value. It is a pricey place, but it should be for what you get. I gave it 4 stars for value as I would any place that has a 10% tax and a 10% service charge, so make sure you understand that the price you pay will have 20% added to it at the end. This applies to all hotels and condos on the Island. Grace Bay is as beautiful an area as can be found and you will easily find yourself planning a return visit.....We sure will...Just know that Opulence comes with a price.....

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

327 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2009

we stayed in the smallest room and it was still luxurious. no wireless in the rooms despite the advertising of it, but they have an easy to use business center and frankly, it was great i wasn't on my computer. i needed to relax and focus on napping. i was prepared to be dissappointed, and was instead impressed. we were told how expensive the turks and caicos are found it completely the opposite. we ate at the hotel restaurant for breakfast daily, great food. we ate from the bar for lunch once or twice and spent 30 bucks on the two of us. the pool is awesome and the beach is magical. the front desk staff knows their stuff and ask them for their help. talk to winston, the bellman. he recommended every restaurant to us and was right on every one of them. lunch anywhere on the island will run you about 15 bucks per person and dinner more like 25 bucks per person. eat at the conch shack on thursday, live music night, wow, great food. not expensive either. eat lunch at 'hole in the wall', next to the police station and talk to the locals and eat some great local food. tiki hut for dinner in the open-air marina had some great food too. if you want to trend smaller, go to pizza pizza, two slices and two drinks for 10 bucks....that was kind of expensive, but not overwhelming since that served as our dinner that night. the most expensive part of the tci is the transportation. we were lucky and rented a car at the airport for 30 bucks a day, but cab rides are about that for each trip. you do the math. parking is free at this hotel and everywhere. plus, you need to explore this island. chalk sound is unreal. we will go back and stay there because it was a sure thing for us. we felt bad for those who didn't have a car. the resort has some great free or included activities, but the car saved us alot of money that would have been spent on cabs.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2009

We spent 9 wonderful days at the Somerset celebrating our wedding anniversary. Even before our trip, the staff at the Somerset (concierge - Eva and Chef Lauren) were very helpful in ensuring we had a wonderful stay. We had our dinner reservations booked early on, and because of a food allergy, Chef Lauren reassured me about the resort's ability to accommodate my dietary needs.

We were picked up by van at the airport for $11. There was another family with us in the van. Upon arrival, Eva accompanied us to our gorgeous one bedroom suite in the Sterling House. The suite was beautifully appointed and had a fabulous view of the pool and ocean. The kitchen was fully stocked with pots, pans, china, utensils, outdoor dining dishes, coffeemaker, blender, etc. We were impressed with our suite.

There were some maintenance issues. The unit next to ours had a broken airconditioner, and maintenance knocked on our door at 1030pm to try to fix it. We certainly understood the need to fix the airconditioner, but since the resort was not 100% full, I think they easily could have moved them to another room! The next day, our own air conditioner was not functioning and neither was our living room tv. My husband called down to the front desk THREE TIMES in the span of 4 HOURS, and no one came up to assist us. He had to go directly to the front desk before we had some help. For a resort of this caliber, this is unacceptable. Management was kind enough to present us with a complimentary bottle of champagne for dinner.

For the most part, the resort was peaceful and quiet. There was no need to run to the pool or beach to reserve a chair in the early hours of the morning . We would often stroll down after breakfast around 11am, and we never had difficulty obtaining a chair. The pool chairs are much more comfortable since they are cushioned, so we spent most of our time there. The beach is beautiful with clear water and white powder sand. We walked down to other resorts and when we saw how crowded and full Beaches was, we were relieved that we chose to stay at the Somerset. The Regent Palms also looked quite lovely, but it had many more units. Non motor water equipment is free - kayak, snorkeling equipment. There is usually (not always) an attendant to assist you. We often had lunch and ordered drinks at the pool bar. They are not quick to come around and take orders, so we would frequently head over ourselves. Not a big deal. Probably best to walk get some sort of exercise =P

We had breakfast everyday and did not have any issues with the complimentary continental breakfast. There is a large plate of fruit (always fresh and tasty), choice of english muffin/bagel/toast, a basket of pastries (muffin, banana bread, turnover, croissant), juice, and coffee/tea. I thought it was more than enough for one person! If you wanted a warm breakfast, you could easily order off the ala carte menu. Luz, Jason and Ingrid were wonderfully accommodating and helpful!

We had two wonderful dinners at O'Soleil. Our first dinner was the prix fixe 3-course. To celebrate our anniversary, we took part in the chef's table which was a 7 course amazing dinner. We were seated by ourselves on the 2nd floor overlooking the rest of the restaurant. We had personalized menus. Chef Lauren came up for each course to give details about each dish. The Australian rack of lamb was divine. We have dined at many top of the line restaurants, and the chef's dinner at the Somerset was on par with the best of them. Highly recommend. Would reserve early since there is only one table per night.

We also dined at Parallel 23 and Coco Bistro. We usually had lunch at the Lunasea pool bar and everything was tasty. For the most part, the food was very good, especially for the Caribbean. However, for the prices, not equal to what you experience in major cities in the US.

Overall, the Somerset was a wonderful resort. We loved our suite and the rest of the facilities. 95% of the staff were exceptional. However, still not on par with service at a Four Seasons and Ritz where your needs are readily anticipated. If you are laid back and not expecting perfection, I think you will be pleased with this resort. We will return.

Framingham, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Somerset for 8 nights for our honeymoon. From the moment we walked in, we were treated very well. Most everyone was very friendly, (although the wait staff at the pool bar sometimes seemed tired and unappreciative of our business). Our room was gorgeous, a one bedroom cottage suite with two full bathrooms, wall to wall marble floors, a full kitchen with granite and stainless steel appliances, washer/dryer, balcony with table and chairs. Everything was extremely new as the resort is only 3 years old.

As for the island, make sure you bring a lot of money in order to fully enjoy yourself as the prices are ridiculous. The shopping is still in its infancy and most places sell goods shipped in from the mainland US. If you are looking for Turks and Caicos goods, the only things you will find are woven baskets priced outrageously. Also, there is a 10% government charge and a 10% service fee added to EVERY BILL. Make sure you understand that when you buy things.

The food is very good on the island and make sure you do your homework before coming. There is a variety of restaurants from cheap ($10 an entree) to expensive ($50 to $60 an entree). I think the least we spent on a regular dinner was $85. You must add the 20% on top of the bill as well, so larger bill's can get huge very quickly. Some of the best places we went to were Magnolia's (beautiful sunset), Grace's Cottage (very expensive but definitely worth it), Pizza Pizza (a delivery pizza place, not to be confused with Pizza Pizza La Terreza), Pool Bar at Regent Palms. A few others I may avoid, Hemingway's on the Beach (big name but very average food and service was lacking), O'Soleil (in the Somerset, very expensive but just okay food), Bella Luna (Italian place, just plain NOT GOOD). I would suggest going to the Graceway IGA or Graceway Gourmet (Supermarkets) and getting food to make sandwiches for lunch to lessen the cost of food by going out. My wife and I actually bought liquor and made Pina Colada's a few days so we didn't have to buy the $10 drinks at the pool bar (One drink is $10, with 20% on top of that!).

All in all, it was a fantastic trip and the Somerset was a beautiful place. You could canoe for free, and they had a host of free water sports to choose from. Make sure you book with one of their specials in order to get a good discount. The summer is considered the off-season and they are starved for business.

Monterey, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2009

My husband and I went to the Turks & Caicos for our honeymoon in late June, early July. We planned a 10 day stay in one of the garden view cottages. Transportation from the airport was arranged by the Somerset at $11 each person and added to our room bill. When we arrived at our room, we were VERY pleased. It was luxurious, with a full kitchen, living room, dining area, 2 full bathrooms, and large master bedroom with a wonderful king size bed. One of the things I hate about traveling is sleeping in a crappy bed with scratchy sheets. This was NOT the case. The sheets were soft and the mattress and pillows were wonderful. Also, the bathrooms and kitchen were all granite, travertine tile and Viking appliances. We also had a washer/dryer in the unit which was perfect for a long stay.

We were told that June is the slow season on the islands, which was apparent because the hotel was only at 50% capacity. Most of the time the pool and beach area were very quiet. Occasionally there were some young children playing in the pool, but they were always supervised by their parents and never too rowdy. However, on our last 2 days of the trip, several new groups of people arrived that liked to drink and talk VERY loudly in the pool in the afternoon. At first we felt like our quiet vacation was being disturbed, but then we just grabbed a pina colada and joined them.

The pool are and beach are absolutely beautiful. Occasionally, there were no clean towels, but that was only about 10% of the times we went down there. We asked for more towels and were told that they were already being grabbed from the dryers. We usually hung out at the beach though...why not...afterall it is gorgeous! At the beach, we often asked the attendant to move an umbrella for us. He grabbed a shovel and dug it out of the sand and moved it wherever we wanted.

Since we were on a budget, we planned to eat in for breakfast, lunch and about half of our dinners. We took a trip to the big IGA (there are at least 2 on the island) and stocked up on supplies the first day. (FYI...the kitchen is fully stocked with utensils, pots and pans, but there were no spices, salt pepper etc... We brough a camping spice kit with us and it was perfect). Taxi was $12 each way for 2 people in the taxi. Be prepared to spend quite a bit of money at the grocery store (and at restaurants). A gallon of milk was about $6.50. We dropped about $300 at the grocery store and that lasted us for the trip. We then ate out for dinner several times. I can recommend the Tiki Hut (HUGE crab legs and great ribs), Mango Reef (price fixe menu Mon - Thurs), Parallel 23 (next door, pricey but luxurious and good food), and Coco Bistro (also pricey, but great meal). We also had the complimentary continental breakfast some mornings. It consisted of coffee or tea, a glass of juice, fresh fruit plate, eng muffin or bagel, pastry basket of croissants, banana bread, etc...). I thought that it was enough food for me, but my husband would have liked some eggs or bacon as well. We had 2 different servers at breakfast. One of them was exceptional and the other (an african-american woman) was um...not so much. Once she found out we were having the continental breakfast, she pretty much just brought us fruit and the bread basket and then forgot about us. She never offered a end muffin/bagel or juice or checked our coffee cups. We asked for butter and jam, and it never came. I had to get up to get my own coffee. This happened more than once. When my husband orderedx the french toast one morning, she brough the pancakes instead. It was apparent that she didn't want to be there and that she didn't care. I should have complained but I didn't know who was in charge.

FYI... there is a 10% tax and 10% service charge on EVERYTHING at the hotel (room, meals, etc...). I asked the conceirge (Eva...who is exceptional by the way) if this 10% service charge was considered the "tip". She said that it was and it was our decision if we wanted to tip more. Bottom line, additional tips were not expected, but appreciated if you so desire. Normally, I tip the concierge & room housekeepers when I travel, but on this trip I didn't feel the need since there was already the 10% service charge added in. I did tip a few extra bucks at the pool restaurant.

We spent about 7 days going SCUBA diving. The T & C is a beautiful place to SCUBA. After some research, we decided to go with Dive Provo and couldn't be happier with the decision. I've been diving for several years and I haven't seen a dive shop like theirs where ALL the divers & boat captains were so exceptional. Everyone was professional, funny, thorough, safe and helpful. My husband got his initial Open Water PADI qualification during the trip (3 days) and then we both completed the Advanced Open Water qualification (another 3 days). I can't recommend them enough.

In summary, this honeymoon was unforgettable. It was sooo relaxing and luxurious. I would highly recommend the Somerset and I plan to visit again sometime.

Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Somerset end of June, early July. It is by far the nicest place we have ever been. The hotel is unbelievable, the water is crystal clear blue, the beaches are amazing and there is snorkeling within walking distance. There are many places to stay on Grace Bay but I really liked this hotel. There is an infinity pool, bar next to it and you can get service down at the beach as well. It wasn't their busy season down there so it was quiet, peaceful and you can take a long walk on the beach and not see anyone, amazing. The restaurants are all within walking distance and really good food. We rented bikes from Caicos wheels and biked to Nikki Beach to rent Kayaks to go to Iguana Island. The only thing negative about our entire trip was the fact that we had to go home. We loved every part of this vacation and I highly recommend this to anyone.

Oxford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2009

My husband and I just took our second trip to Turks and Caicos. Our first trip was our honeymoon in May 2006 and we stayed at the Palms where we had absolutely no complaints. We thought we would try staying somewhere else this trip simply for variation and thought based on the reviews of the Somerset that we would again have no complaints. Well, that was a bad assumption...

Upon arrival, they have someone meet you at the airport and get you into a taxi. This was great and easy bacause they can just charge $11/pp to your room bill. We got checked into our room which was a Standard Garden View (Stirling 301A). I knew the room would be small with no balcony and I was fine with that. What I did not know was that the room was a lockout unit with absolutely no sound barrier from the suite to which it was attached and that we would feel like we were in the same room with the family in the unit we were "locked out" from. After a long day of travel, we tried to rest for a couple of hours and were awakened several times by people simply talking in the attached unit because they were literally right outside our door. I let it slide for the night and when it happened again on the second day, I had to do something so I went to the desk and inquired about changing to another unit like ours that had no one staying in the attached unit (thought this might be possible becuase the resort was nowhere near full). No such luck, but they said we could have a Garden View for an extra $120 per night. We didn't want to spend that extra money for a Garden View so I found a larger room at the Palms and got prepared to move next door. When I went to tell them this, they acted like it would be a big deal for me to cancel the rest of my reservation and offered us an Oceanview One Bedroom Suite for the same $120 extra. We went to look at this room (105) and it was a decent upgrade for a reasonable price so we took it and changed rooms.

Room problem solved, but other problems began. 1) The thermostat in the bedroom of the suite did not have a cover on it...bare wires and no way to adjust the temperature which was very warm I might add since no one had been in the room. They did send someone promptly to fix this, but this is something that should have been noticed and repaired before it was a problem for a guest. 2) The resort guard came to our room the first night we were in the suite and told us this unit was supposed to be vacant (as if we snuck in there and camped out or something). I explained that we moved from 301A. He said ok and left....then he returned the next night at 9:00 PM saying the same thing!! I called the front desk to ask them to be sure this didn't happen again because interruptions that late are very frustrating when you are half asleep and on vacation trying to relax. They were not that nice about it and just said it was a misunderstanding. Once again, a resort as nice as this one should have it together better than that. 3) The Viking fridge/freezer was not working properly. The fridge would not get beer or water cold (we had to put beer and water bottles in the freezer 30 minutes before we wanted to drink it so it would get cold enough) and the ice maker in the freezer did not work. 4) I called to ask for ice one night about 7:30 and they called me back about 9 and said that they got busy and didn't have anyone that could bring it when I called earlier but they were about to bring it then. Of course, I didn't need ice an hour and a half later so I told them not to worry about it. 5) I got in the jacuzzi to relax in the tub one night and the jacuzzi jets did not work...none of the buttons would do anything. 6) All of the curtains in the suite needed repairs. They were hanging down in several places where they had come unhooked from the rings on the curtain rod and the pull cord was missing so they didn't open and close properly. Another simple maintenance issue that is being ignored. That's about all for the room problems...Now, on to the general problems...

There were never enough towels at the pool. By 3pm each day you had to go and ask for towels (you would think that when they ran out, they would automatically go and refill the rack...nope!!) and they would go and get some from the dryer and bring them to you after about 10 minutes. As someone mentioned before, they are nice and fluffy and you can get as many as you need but they should never run out...especially when the place is nowhere near full. They weren't really out though...they were just too lazy to be proactive and go get more before someone asked them to. It is just the attention to these little details that make or break a place and at the Somerset it just wasn't there.

We went to our unit to eat lunch one day and left our towels and pool things in our lounge chair under the umbrella because we were coming back right after we ate (we might have been gone 30 minutes). As we were walking back up, the pool attendant was moving our umbrella to the guests next to us who had a broken umbrella. This would have been fine if our things hadn't been in our chairs and they had looked vacant, but it was clearly evident that we were coming back to our shaded chairs!! I simply asked the attendant to find us another umbrella and he said 5 minutes and he would have us one. He comes back with a tray of wet washcloths and asks if we wanted one...as if the wet washcloth was going to take the place of our pool umbrella!! We went to walk on the beach for awhile to give him plenty of time to put up another umbrella and after about 45 minutes we returned to find our things baking in the sun because he hadn't done anything...no sign of an umbrella.

We were in the room one night when the attendant came in for turndown service. I was reading on the couch and my husband was on the internet. She comes in the den, closes all of the curtains where we no longer could see out and dims all of the lights in the room...while I was obviously reading and needing the light...I know she was just doing her job, but it is just common sense that when someone is in their room with the lights on, they want light and the attendants should not change anything (at least they could ask first). I couldn't even say anything because I was so dumbfounded that she really came into our room and basically cut off all of our light sources with us right there!!

Then there was the continental breakfast that is included in the room charge...what they should say is that a few pieces of fruit and a few pastries are included in the room charge and if you want any breakfast variation, be prepared to pay big bucks for it. (We were expecting a continental breakfast like most where you had hot and cold dishes on a buffet. The Hampton Inn breakfast is better than this, seriously!!) Not to mention the very rude woman that works the breakfast area and acted like I was really putting her out when I asked for our fruit and pastries to go.

Lastly, my husband went to use the weightroom and said that the machines and weightroom were really nice but there were several maintenance things that have gone unnoticed or that they just had not fixed. Pins and pieces were missing from some of the machines, there was no thermostat cover there either (just like in our room), and music was blasting from the speakers and there was no way to turn it down so you could hear the TV.

I really hate to sound so negative about everything, but it just seemed like every time we turned around, there was some sort of problem at this resort. It is really a shame because the grounds and pool area are absolutely beautiful and well kept and it is on one of the best sections of beach on Grace Bay, but I could not recommend it to anyone. We definitely won't stay here again. It is the little things that make a resort top-notch and you won't find these things here. All that said, we love Turks and Caicos, had a wonderful time on the islands and at the beaches and expect to return several times in the future...but we WILL stay at the Palms next time.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Somerset on Grace Bay? Share your experiences!