“Elegant and upscale, but low key and understated - EXCELLENT!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
2 Free Nights!
Ranked #14 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Pennsylvania
“Elegant and upscale, but low key and understated - EXCELLENT!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

We had never been to TCI before, and did extensive research, mostly on Trip Advisor's forums, on the resorts along Grace Bay. The Somerset was exactly what we wanted in a resort.

Although it is very elegant and upscale, The Somerset is low key and rather understated. The guests were a mix of couples, families, and small groups of friends. All of the children were exceptionally behaved. Although we have kids of our own, we try to avoid resorts that market themselves as "family-friendly." Anyone who is considering staying at The Somerset should not be afraid of it being overrun by kids. This is a quiet and relaxing resort.

The resort is small and beautiful, with a nice layout. We stayed in Stirling House, which looks out on the pools. Although we had requested an upper level room, we were given a first floor room, which had no ocean view. :(

The room itself was great. It was extremely large and had everything we needed. It was very nice to stay in a condo type of unit instead of a traditional hotel room (with just beds and a bathroom). There was plenty of room for everyone, and having a full kitchen was especially nice.

The pools and beach around The Somerset were magnificent. It might have been related to us being there in June, but things were never crowded. We often felt like we had Grace Bay to ourselves.

Most of the staff at The Somerset were very, very nice. They took special interest in our kids and made them feel welcome. Warren, Eva, Nadine and Winston were especially warm and helpful.

We would go back to The Somerset in a heartbeat.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
ginamina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2009

My husband and I decided to stay at the Somerset resort for our honeymoon after he did extensive research on all the resorts on the island. It was the best decision he’s ever made. As soon as we arrived, we were greeted upon check in with hot towels and their signature island punch (delish). This totally hit the spot after our plane ride. The staff went above and beyond to make sure our stay was perfect and to assure that my new husband and I had the best honeymoon. Specifically, Warren, Shirley and Winston were the friendliest.

The suite had the most contemporary and stylish décor and the kitchen had the most up to date appliances, stuff I haven’t even seen in America.

We had 2 balconies in our suite, one of which was an ocean view balcony. The bathroom was very spacious and we had a jacuzzi in there where we enjoyed a very bubbly bubble bath.

Now on to the beach. The white sand on our part of the beach was silkier than silk itself. However, as we started walking on other parts of the beach in front of other resorts the sand started getting grainier and hurt my feet, so I went back to our beach at the somerset.

As part of our honeymoon package, we received a complimentary couples massage that they arranged for us to have in the room, and my husband got his very first facial in turks. His skin glowed for days after. I also would like to add that this was the best massage I have ever received.

We did not have to travel far to experience the best meal on the island since it was right here on our very resort at their restaurant called O’soleil, French for Sun, and I couldn’t have described the restaurant any better than ‘sun.’ we ate a Seven course meal. The pina coladas at our resort were the best I’ve ever tasted and I live in Miami, a city of tropical drinks. There was also a teatime on one of the days of our stay, and the scones they served were the finest scones I’ve tasted, even better than the scones I’ve tried in London.

The lifestyle in Turks was so chill. I gained an appreciation of Caribbean culture and this chill lifestyle. I also learned cool island phrases like 'respect' from the staff. I cant stop listening to Bob Marley now, Caribbean music makes me happy and relaxed. I really miss the island life.

My only minor complaints were that there was no hot tub anywhere on the resort, but I guess that’s why we had Jacuzzis in the room. Also, I had a bad experience with a man named Fred on the island. The resort arranged for us to go horseback riding with this man and as soon as I sat on the horse that looked like a mule, I got scared because it started neighhhhing in a weird way and fred refused to walk the horse with me on the beach. He then went on to charge us 80 dollars for basically just sitting on his smelly horse.

There are plenty of activities to do on the island, depending on what you are looking for. We chose only to go jet skiing, kayaking and attempted horseback riding as stated above. Also we went on a ‘sunset dinner cruise and glow worm cruise.’ The dinner part of this was terrible. we thought we were going to get shrimp and chicken for dinner and came hungry ready to eat on the boat , but instead, the captain brought out about 10 boxes of pepperoni pizza. not a single box of cheese pizza for us non pig eaters. this was a big disappointment and we went home hungry. however, the glow worm and sunset part of the cruise was gorgeous. I didn’t know what glow worms were but there are these worms that light up in the ocean in a neon green color at night when the female worm bites off the head of a male worm.

Warren was an exceptional staff member who was always smiling and was such a genuine person. Every time he saw me he yelled out REGII in his cool island accent and called my husband ‘Bossman’. He especially went the extra mile to make sure we had the best time and offered us rides to places, something he didn’t even have to do. He did his job well. On the way back to the states, our 8 am flight got delayed, so warren brought us back to the resort so that we could rest in our room until closer to our flight time and then he drove us back to the airport. What a noble human being. I miss you! For all these reasons, I would definitely go back to turks and caicos and only want to stay at the Somerset. a 50 on a scale of 10.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
New Haven, CT
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2009

We stayed at a one-bedroom gardenview suite. The room was fine: a little old-fashioned (grandma style) but it was clean and functional. The resort was good overall, nice pools etc., although we have been to better resorts at lower prices.

The main problem was overcharging by the hotel. They were supposed to give a 4th night for free. This was the deal promised to our entire wedding group, and I even called the resort before the trip to confirm that we were actually going to get that discount. Yet in the end they charged us for all 5 nights we stayed there. Over the last month I have called the hotel four times and sent them email about this, but all they say is that a manager will call me back to sort this out, and of course the manager has still not called me back. So I just had to dispute the excess charge ($600) with my credit card company.

It baffles me why a supposedly high-end resort would engage in such cheap tactics to extract extra dollars from its customers.

• Stayed May 2009
Pittsburgh PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2009

This was our 2nd vacation to Turks and Caicos, the 1st time we stayed at The Regent Palms(which was fabulous). We choose The Somerset this time b/c last time at Regent Plams there were SO many kids, we viewed The Somerset during that trip and noted a very quiet, very layed back resort with very little amount of kids, it did not dissapoint! At the airport The Somerset arranged for a "taxi" type service to pick us up, $11 p/p was the fare. The plus was it was cheap, the downside was we had to wait for other vacationers who were alos staying at The Somerset, no airconditioning and the driver was erratic. Last time (and future times) we arranged a private car service (thru hotel) , it was $50 but no wait time, your name is printed on a sign, he waited outside the customs door and wisks you into a new Escalade with air conditioning blasting. Once at The Somerset we checked in promply (cold towel/drink) and our Cottage was ready, Cottage 7B (2nd fl), it was very nice, 1500 sqft, wood kitchen with granite and SS appliances, laundry room with washer/dryer (and detergent) 2 story living and dining room with a triple slider to a small balcony overlooking the croquet lawn, spiral staircase to a den/loft/2nd bedroom (ish), 2 full baths and a huge master suite with walk-in-closet with safe, 2 paddle fans, 3 plasmas and DVD player (free movies at concierge). We paid $500/night with 1night Free. The lobby was small but very well appointed, both concierge were knowledgeable and friendly and helped us book dinner reservations each night. The location of the resort is right on Grace Bay, a 20 minute walk to Coral Gardens ( a free snorkeling reserve where you see all kinds of coral, tropical fish and turtles), a 15 minute walk to Salt Mills for resort type shopping (open until 6pm) and Yoski's for Japenese, Danny Bouy's Irish Pub and Iguana's Steak and Sea for Steak and Seafood, other shops/restaurants will open within the next year. The resosrt itself has 3 types of "rooms", the 4 Estates which are free standing beautiful buildings 1-5 bedrooms that are oceanfront, the Sterling House which are oceanview and 1-3 bedrooms ( larger 5 story type building) and the Cottages which view the croquet lawn/zen garden also 1-3 bedrooms (no oceanview). The pools, 1 reverse current lap pool and 1 infinity zero entry pool,both overlokked the ocean and were beautiful! Reserving a pool chair/umbrella was no problem here...the resort was only at 30% capacity. We like getting up early and being at the pool by 7am, no one else showed up until 8am but mainly 10am, plenty of newer white pool/beach towels and you can have as many as you want. The beach is the most beautiful postcard type beach we've ever seen ( and we vacation 6x per year to islands) flour like sand, clear of any seaweed/ debris, the ocean water was 80 degrees and clear, when scuba diving you will have 100+ feet visibily. Speaking of scuba diving, we use Flamingo Divers (Jane and Mickey), it is a smaller dive company, they pick you up at 7:45am and you are back by 2pm for a 2 tank dive of West Caicos, you will see Caribbean Reef Shark, Nurse Sharks, Rays, tons of Barracueda, Feather Dusters, eels and tons of tropical fish + turtles, email them atleast 1 week in advance b/c they fill up quickly, you will have no more than 6 other divers and sometimes it will be just the 2 of you + owners/divemaster, they give you snacks, drink and more personalized service. Restaurants, for dinners be prepared to spend $150-$300 for 2 people, we ate at O'Soliel (recommend the sweet cream corn and conch chowder, sea bass which is chef Lauren's favorite to make and the wild mushroom risotto) , Parelle 23 (recommend the Ceasar salad, filet and awesome service, we ate here almost every night last trip), Iguana Steak and Sea (rack of lamb, probably won't go back only b/c it could be any restaurant here at home, no islandy feel) Bay Bistro (recommend grouper and the bake/serve fresh warm rolls and nice wine selection), Coco Bistro (my favorite, recommend creme brulee, wild mushroom penne and outstanding service, very islandy feel) , Hemingways ( recommend blackened porkchop and creme brulee), for dinners we usually had salad or soup, entree, dessert, 2 glasses of house wine $10 or bottle of wine around $50 range, you definately can spend more than the $300 mark. We only ate the free continental breakfast 1x (7:30am-10:30am), they give you 4 bead/pastries, coffee, tea, juice and a plate of fruit for 2 people (plenty) but you can order off the menu also. Lunches by the pool are quality although not a diverse menu but what you need, salads, burgers, fish of the day,etc...Mixed drinks are $10, soda $3, beer $5, large bottle water $8, so actually cheaper for caribbean standards. Note: there is a 10% tax and 10% service charge(tip) on everything at the resort, there is also a spot on checks for addt. tip. Work out facility, my husband works out daily (for perspective), it is below grade/ under the lobby, adequate Cybex equippment but in need of maintenance/ missing parts, dumbells up to 50#, no freeweights, for those looking to "maintain" while on vacation he gives it a 5 out of 10. Service, this is where it varies, most people we talked to or overheard talking thought the service was outstanding (perspective again...we stay in high end hotels while on vacation and are willing to pay for better service plus my husband travels for work 40+ weeks a year) , we felt the service was "spotty", some workers, worked very hard to please and you felt like they wanted you to return and some others just stood around. Every day we had to initate drinks by the pool, we probably would have drank 2x as much if they had better pool/lunch service, sometimes it is easier to go to the bar/restaurant and order the food with the chef or bartender. I am not talking "Island" slow, we are talking standing/ sitting around watching others work. Sorry...we hope you do not experience this or care about this as much as we do...
Overall: we had a fabulous vacation, perfect weather, at a great layed back resort, we feel the overall look of the resort is the best on Grace Bay.
PS See our review on The Regent Palms, May 2008 and the car service we used was Williams VIP Service, I have the email if you'd like it).

toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

Spectacular is the only word for it. Two bedroom suite (actually a 2100 square foot condo furnished nicer than my house) with a huge veranda looking directly out over the pools and to the ocean. Great staff. Ameneties and Staff as good as the Ritz on Grand Caymen only 2 bedroom spectacular condo for almost the same price as an ocean front room there. The Quality is similar.

New Jersey, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2009

My husband and I recently returned from a four-night stay at the Somerset to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. By extremely good fortune, we chose to stay at the Somerset after reading the reviews of the Provo resorts on Trip Advisor. The worst thing I have to say is that in our ocean view suite, the only place you could actually see the ocean was from the kitchen/dining area. Other than that, the Somerset was perfect. A taxi was waiting to pick us up from the airport. Check in took a little while because a large group happened to be checking out at the same time, but the staff was very accommodating and escorted us to the pool bar/restaurant where we had lunch. The food was very good, and I can't say enough about how friendly the staff was. Eva, the concierge, was extremely helpful with any request we had. Alexander at the pool bar/restauran always had a pleasant smile and new our favorite cocktails after the first day.

I thought the location of the Somerset was good. We were centrally-located to many great restaurants and stores.

We booked a one-bedroom suite, but it really was a one-bedroom condominium with a full kitchen with Viking appliances, washer/dryer, two televisions and a lovely patio area. We were in Stirling 102. The beach is so beautiful, we never even swam in the pools. There is a lap pool and then a smaller zero-entry pool. The resort provides rafts and non-motorized water sports (sailing, snorkeling, kayaking).

We visited Bella Luna, Coco Bistro and Grace's Cottage for dinner. Grace's Cottage was very romantic and probably the best meal we had. Belle Luna was a close second with the best Italian food I have ever eaten. (I grew up in an Italian family!)

We rented bicycles for two days (arranged by Eva) and explored the island. I didn't ever feel unsafe, although the island breezes were a bit of a challenge. We visited the Casablanca Casino one evening. It was very small, but the staff was very pleasant.

We would not hesitate to recommend this resort and can't wait until we can return!

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2009

When we arrived at the Somerset, we were met with hot towels and a punch- that was the start of the great service we receieved while there. All of the staff was just wonderful to us- from the Resort Manager to the Pool People! We stayed in English Cottage 1B and enjoyed the view of the garden as well as the view of the ocean! The pool was great- definitely good for little ones- you could just walk in the Infinity pool therefore skipping the kiddie pool. There were not that many kids though and all were very well behaved- listening to their families.The dining onsite at both resturants was fantastic, We will be back!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family