“Great place to spend a Family Vacation” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
25% off 5 nights
Ranked #16 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Wyckoff, New Jersey
“Great place to spend a Family Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We just returned from a week at the Somerset. We stayed in an Oceanfront Villa that was huge and beautifully furnished. It is worth it to spend extra to get as close to the ocean as possible at this resort. The views were incredible and the pool and beach were some of the nicest we have ever seen. This is not a large hotel so you never need to worry about finding a nice spot at the beach or pool. The general manager Urmas was very attentive, knew our family members by name and made it a point to check in with us throughout the vacation. The entire staff was friendly and seemed to really enjoy their jobs. Nadine, Natasha and Nadege took great care of us and the kids and housekeeping was excellent. I would recommend doing the half day Island Vibes snorkeling cruise and the spa at the Regent Palms next door is worth the trip (the concierge at The Somerset can set them both up for you). If you want to enjoy some quality family time on Grace bay this Is the place for you.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

This was our first time in TCI. We booked this trip last minute and booked the Somerset on Kayak.com. We got the studio room with queen size bed for four nights. The room is enough for two. The decor is modern and brand new. Check in was very quick and then we were escorted to our room. The best feature about the room is the bathroom - very spacious with separate shower and jacuzzi tub. Also, in the room has a mini kitchen wall equipped with safe, microwave, sink, coffee maker, glassware, china, and utensils. According to the hotel personnel that escorted us, we have the master bedroom that is part of a timeshare suite, there is a connecting door that adjoins the suite, but the connecting door is locked on each side.

What we didn't like about the room is that we had a view of a parking lot and the backside of buildings and no balcony. Because the room is small, there is no desk or table for 2 ( would have been useful if we ate in our room), the lack of hangers in closet- just one free hanger and the other two were for the robes. One large drawer under the tv for clothing or storage. Lighting in the room is not very bright. The nice touches are free bottles of water left by housekeeping, Molton Brown toiletries, two robes, and wi-fi.

The Somerset is one beautiful place. The best thing about staying here are the pools and beach area. The two pools are beautiful and the beach is a great stretch of sand. There are plenty of beach chairs to go around. There is an equal division of couples and families staying here. What we like about staying here that it feels very private, quiet, and no crowds. If you are looking for a busier resort that has many activities to do, this is not it. The resort does offer snorkel gear, lifejackets, paddle boarding, kayak, and hobie cats.

The rate comes with a continental breakfast which includes pastries, fruits, coffee and choice of juice. There is no buffet, the servers bring the food over to you. It's great that there is a free breakfast but it would be better if they do offer a variety of hot foods but it costs extra. The restaurant by the pool was great and convenient. Most of the guests ate lunch there and the staff is excellent. The fish tacos and conch fritters were delish. Happy hour from 5-7.

We did not have car so we relied on foot to eat out. There are bicycles on site if you feel like riding. We went to Hemingways for lunch twice and Mango Reef for dinner twice. We walked on the beach to get there - just a few minutes. Also, we ate dinner nearby at Bay Bistro, walk out of the resort, turn left, and a walk around the corner to Sibonne resort. Also, there are two restaurants with local cuisine that are about 15 mins walk down the road - Cactus Grill and Mr. Grouper's. We booked a half day snorkel trip with Caicos Dream last minute. I called them directly and they pick u up at the beach at Alexandra resort which is less than a 5 min walk from the Somerset. Snorkeling was good but the fun part was looking for conch shells because the conch served was going to be your snack and u get to keep the shell.

We had a great time and would recommend to stay here because of the spacious and quiet beach area and pools and a couple of restaurants nearby. We would upgrade to a suite next time.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

we stayed at the hotel for 4 nights. we booked it a head of time because we read some good reviews. at the time of the check in, we were not happy with the room that we got and we asked to change. they took us to another room wich was nice but i noticed that one of the bedrooms is locked. i called the front desk and then they told me that the bedroom is currently occupied. i booked 2 bedrooms and they give me a one bedroom?? with 4 kids?? we then went back to the front desk and we upgraded to a 3 bedroom suite ocean front. we paid extra for that upgrade. little did we know, that they have a persistent rodent problem in these suites! the suite was huge and beautiful. the cleaning lady was soooo nice and helpful. on the 3rd evening my husband saw a huge rat in the kitchen! plus there were other insects too but we never complained about them.
within an hour and half we moved to another room. in the middle of the night with 4 kids. the resident manager urmus kronner was helpful with the move but not with the rest of the issues. he promised us a refund for that one night, but refused to refund us for the extra upgrade of that room or for the previous nights. he tried to tell us that my kids left a stain on the sofa and becouse of that he can't refund us the money. the stain was taken care of, but he still looked for other minor excuses not to refund us the money. also, on that night that we had to move, he said that he was aware of the rodent problem!!!!! if you are an establishment who respects the guests, why whould you have people sleeping in the room with rodents????
the girls at the front desk were not helpful either.
the beach was amazing and the bar staff were great.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Urmas_Karner, General Manager at The Somerset on Grace Bay, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear mdyner,

First and foremost, I would like to reassure you that the property does not have a rodent problem. Rooms and grounds are kept immaculate. I did confirm to you that I had been made aware of your report. This was the first incident I had heard of in the six months since arriving at the resort.

We also strive to ensure our guests are satisfied with their stay. I apologize that our Front Desk was unable to accommodate you in a 2-bedroom villa on a higher floor, per your request. However, we offered an upgrade to a larger villa right on the ocean at a steeply discounted rate, waived one night’s stay, and waived the costs to repair certain damages in the unit.

We sincerely apologize for the disruption to your stay and your family vacation.

Yours in hospitality,

Urmas Karner
new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

So, we stayed here for a week (just got back) in a 1BR Gardenview. We have a 2 yo so having a place w a kitchen was important. I was worried that we didn't have a place that was overlooking the water but the resort is small so it was not a big deal at all. All of units are individually owned - ours the owners had converted the "garage" into a second BR so that was a nice surprise for us. In short, here are my pros and cons

Pros:
- Really friendly and great staff. Especially Warren & Nadine who I think we interacted w/ the most but everyone was generally friendly. (Except there is one at the front desk (can't remember her name, who wasn't really friendly but she wasn't nasty - just not super friendly like the others))
- Practically had the place to ourselves! The pool is really nice and not overcrowded. There was never more than 10 ppl at the pool and a lot of times we had the pool to ourselves
Right on the Beach, very very close. You can get a chair/umbrella any time of day you want no issues and towel service was great (and they had beach toys for the kids and sunscreen and floats too that was nice!)
- Feels more like you live there than you are visiting. So it doesn't really feel like a "resort" I guess this can be a bad thing depending on what you want, but we didn't want a Club Med or Beaches type of vaca (which btw I walked by Beaches and it was INSANITY! so glad I didn't book them! They had papers on all the chairs "reserving" the spots on the beach.. ick)
- Housekeeping services was excellent. Always multiple people coming to clean and they always did a great job. Esp with a 2 yr old and trekking all that sand in it was helpful!
- Appliances were really nice. All Viking and all working well. (Also, high end bath products Molten Brown)
- The Tues night BBQ was good. Worth the money *but take heed, drinks are not included!!!!!! and was a lot of fun. We let our 2 yo stay up late and she danced on the dance floor all night (sometimes all alone!) Good music (except DJ can't transition between songs so if you are a music buff this will annoy you but you learn to let it go!) and the food was really good

The cons.... (which is why they are minus a green dot in my book and would have been down another half if that was the option.....)

- No SPA. BAHH! I didn't research this and I was really bummed. The Regent Palms right next door has one but we never could get over there....
- All the utensils in our unit were really dated. All the knives were dull and rusted so that was frustrating and our DVD player didn't work in the living room and the jaccuzzi tub also didn't work (it filled with water but no jaccuzzi!)
- Also, if you have a little one, it's pretty nerve wracking because there are a lot of stairs in the unit and it's not guarded by anything, nor is it soft (it's like a marble type material) so my heart beat fast every time I couldn't find my daughter or hear her, I thought she fell down the stairs! If you have an active little one who is not great with stairs yet... I would either bring a gate or be prepared to follow them around everywhere
- With the exception of the BBQ and the morning free pastries and fruit - The food you pay for is NOT GOOD AT ALL. Sorry to say! :( We had lunch at the pool and our chips were completely stale, my cole slaw was sour - and not cole slaw sour like mayo gone bad sour... and the first night we ordered a cup of milk for my daughter, she took a sip and spit it out. I took a sip and threw up.... the milk must have been weeks old or sitting out all day or something it was SOOOO bad!!!!!!! We had dinner once at O'Solei on premise. First there is NEVER anyone there.... which I think is telling.. and... we ordered the conch soup which was SO salty and gritty like they didn't clean the conch or there was sand in the soup and my daughter had pizza which she ate one bite of (and she eats everything!) I took a bite and it tasted like melted cheese on stale bread... and the soup and kids pizza cost us 40!!!!!!!!! Better off travelling somewhere else (see my review on Somewhere Cafe and Bar.. which was Excellent!)
- There's really not much to do at Somerset except go to the pool, beach and sleep. So if that's the kind of vaca you are hoping for then this place is perfect. Honestly, I was hoping for a bit mroe "action" and things to do with the kid but you really have to seek it out. I would definitely come back here but probably not until my kid is grown up and out of my house....... if you know what I mean.

That being said... if you don't care about the food (and will cook your own most of the time or travel off resort), don't care about having hotel/resort like features like a spa, and don't have little ones (I would say infant ok, but toddler to maybe 8 would not be so great) --- then, this is a great place... I would say, better for couples, or family reunion types...

Room Tip: I'm pretty sure we stayed in the cheapest room (outside of a Queen BR) and it really is not a bi...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Urmas_Karner, General Manager at The Somerset on Grace Bay, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear travelkimpark,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us at The Somerset. We are pleased to hear that you found the staff friendly and the resort intimate. I will share your positive feedback regarding our housekeeping services and the Tuesday night Beach Barbeque. I’m sure they will be pleased.

I am truly sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the food and beverages at the resort. We have met with our Food & Beverage team, showed them your review and have been assured that this will not occur in the future.

Thank you for your suggestion to have gates available to block off the stairs. It is our goal to provide not only exceptional service to guests of all ages, but to also ensure we are fostering a safe environment. As a result, we have in fact purchased stair guards so that future guests with young children can rest assured that their loved ones will be safe. We do hope you will return to The Somerset to experience this alteration.

Again, thank you for your review and feedback. We do take guest comments seriously, and we are taking the necessary steps to improve. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Somerset on Grace Bay in the future.

Warmest regards,

Urmas Karner
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

I cannot say enough good things about this resort. I agree with many reviews about Turks & Caicos that "ideal" is subjective because everyone has a different expectation from a Caribbean vacation. My ideal vacation would be the opposite of some place like Beaches or any other similar large resort. I wanted privacy, high end accommodations, and excellent customer service. The Somerset is all that and more. The staff provides, hands down, the most professional, generous, and genuinely personable customer service I have ever encountered anywhere on any vacation. Our room in the Stirling House was beyond anything we ever expected. It was huge (around 2300 square feet, I believe) with Viking appliances, porcelain dishes, comfortable beds, ample dresser space, and spectacular views. The unit was immaculate and housekeeping always consisted of 2-3 people, so daily service was efficient and non-intrusive. We had some travel mishaps on the way (delayed flights, missed connections, lost luggage) and when we pulled in at 10:30 at night, the front desk staff was waiting for us, ready to park our car, get us food (even though the kitchen had closed at 9:00) and get us settled in. They even waited at the airport the next day to find our luggage for us so that we could spend precious vacation time on the beach. The pool and beach attendants were helpful, friendly, and genuinely personable. There were no resort cards to carry around. The entire staff knew that my family was staying there. It was the kind of rapport that was casual and intimate, yet with high end accommodations and professionalism in every regard. I checked out a number of resorts on Grace Bay (Regent, Grace Bay Club, and Seven Stars) and The Somerset was exactly the right choice. We're going back to Provo next year and there's no place else I'd want to stay.

• Stayed July 2013
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

By far the best thing about this hotel is the views. It has a gorgeous pool overlooking the water and this really cannot be beat. Additionally, the rooms are new and spacious and the accommodations are lovely. We stayed in the penthouse suite in the Sterling building and have no complaints (except for the water pressure not being enough!) The service was amazing and it is definitely a place that I would stay again.

Room Tip: Sterling Penthouse rooms are absolutely beautiful and face the ocean head-on!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Wellesley, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

After much research into where to go on my initial Caribbean vacation I decided on T&C. Once I'd made that decision it was time to decide where to stay. I poured over tripadvisor and expedia and orbitz reviews for all of the hotels along Grace Bay Beach, to the point of analysis-paralysis. Weeks of looking at reviews and photos of all the hotels on the travel sites and on Oyster, and then I finally made the decision to go with the Somerset as the best combination of luxury for the price, and I was not disappointed for one minute.

Visited from July 23-28th of 2013.

Everything from arrival to departure was phenomenal. Picture perfect. The facilities looked exactly as they look in the pictures on Oyster, which I wasn't expecting to be honest. I expected to be let down a little, and was thrilled when I wasn't.

Room: My room was perfectly comfortable, although to be honest the only time I was in it was to go to bed (since I was on a solo trip). I thought I might check out the TV, but never ended up doing that. Wi-Fi signal was a bit weak in my room at the front of the property, but was able to get done what I needed to.

Concierge:
Lachelle was great! She setup all my activities for me in advance and even dealt with some confusion on the part of one of them. Everything went smoothly.

Facilities:
The workout facilities did the trick, if you need to workout on vacation.
Several nice areas (front porch, breezeway through to the pool/beach) to sit and read out of the sun if you'd like. Croquet lawn is a nice touch, saw some kids playing out there.
Landscaping and buildings all look beautiful.

Restaurants:
Luna: Good lunch food and drinks, service either inside, poolside, or on the beach. Definitely hope "Five Star" is there making the drinks, he's a character. Paula took good care of all my food needs.
O'Soleil: Continental breakfast every morning was more than enough for me (banana bread was a highlight!), but others might want to order an actual meal. I can't comment on their other breakfasts because I never had one. Ate dinner here my second night and it was quite good. Definitely in the pricier-strata of island restaurants, but delicious.
Tuesday night beach BBQ buffet: BBQ dinner on the beach? What's not to like? The food was good and it's "all you can eat" so you can eat plenty of it. Make sure you try the corn, and save room for the desserts.

Beach:
Great amount of frontage and more than enough chairs and umbrellas (at least during the off-season for tourists) on a beautiful stretch of Grace Bay. Absolutely nothing to complain about here.

I had lofty expectations for my first Caribbean vacation, and the Somerset was a big part of my vacation exceeding my expectations, so I'm confident that I'll be back many times.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Been to The Somerset on Grace Bay? Share your experiences!