“Like living in T&C” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
new york
“Like living in T&C”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

So, we stayed here for a week (just got back) in a 1BR Gardenview. We have a 2 yo so having a place w a kitchen was important. I was worried that we didn't have a place that was overlooking the water but the resort is small so it was not a big deal at all. All of units are individually owned - ours the owners had converted the "garage" into a second BR so that was a nice surprise for us. In short, here are my pros and cons

Pros:
- Really friendly and great staff. Especially Warren & Nadine who I think we interacted w/ the most but everyone was generally friendly. (Except there is one at the front desk (can't remember her name, who wasn't really friendly but she wasn't nasty - just not super friendly like the others))
- Practically had the place to ourselves! The pool is really nice and not overcrowded. There was never more than 10 ppl at the pool and a lot of times we had the pool to ourselves
Right on the Beach, very very close. You can get a chair/umbrella any time of day you want no issues and towel service was great (and they had beach toys for the kids and sunscreen and floats too that was nice!)
- Feels more like you live there than you are visiting. So it doesn't really feel like a "resort" I guess this can be a bad thing depending on what you want, but we didn't want a Club Med or Beaches type of vaca (which btw I walked by Beaches and it was INSANITY! so glad I didn't book them! They had papers on all the chairs "reserving" the spots on the beach.. ick)
- Housekeeping services was excellent. Always multiple people coming to clean and they always did a great job. Esp with a 2 yr old and trekking all that sand in it was helpful!
- Appliances were really nice. All Viking and all working well. (Also, high end bath products Molten Brown)
- The Tues night BBQ was good. Worth the money *but take heed, drinks are not included!!!!!! and was a lot of fun. We let our 2 yo stay up late and she danced on the dance floor all night (sometimes all alone!) Good music (except DJ can't transition between songs so if you are a music buff this will annoy you but you learn to let it go!) and the food was really good

The cons.... (which is why they are minus a green dot in my book and would have been down another half if that was the option.....)

- No SPA. BAHH! I didn't research this and I was really bummed. The Regent Palms right next door has one but we never could get over there....
- All the utensils in our unit were really dated. All the knives were dull and rusted so that was frustrating and our DVD player didn't work in the living room and the jaccuzzi tub also didn't work (it filled with water but no jaccuzzi!)
- Also, if you have a little one, it's pretty nerve wracking because there are a lot of stairs in the unit and it's not guarded by anything, nor is it soft (it's like a marble type material) so my heart beat fast every time I couldn't find my daughter or hear her, I thought she fell down the stairs! If you have an active little one who is not great with stairs yet... I would either bring a gate or be prepared to follow them around everywhere
- With the exception of the BBQ and the morning free pastries and fruit - The food you pay for is NOT GOOD AT ALL. Sorry to say! :( We had lunch at the pool and our chips were completely stale, my cole slaw was sour - and not cole slaw sour like mayo gone bad sour... and the first night we ordered a cup of milk for my daughter, she took a sip and spit it out. I took a sip and threw up.... the milk must have been weeks old or sitting out all day or something it was SOOOO bad!!!!!!! We had dinner once at O'Solei on premise. First there is NEVER anyone there.... which I think is telling.. and... we ordered the conch soup which was SO salty and gritty like they didn't clean the conch or there was sand in the soup and my daughter had pizza which she ate one bite of (and she eats everything!) I took a bite and it tasted like melted cheese on stale bread... and the soup and kids pizza cost us 40!!!!!!!!! Better off travelling somewhere else (see my review on Somewhere Cafe and Bar.. which was Excellent!)
- There's really not much to do at Somerset except go to the pool, beach and sleep. So if that's the kind of vaca you are hoping for then this place is perfect. Honestly, I was hoping for a bit mroe "action" and things to do with the kid but you really have to seek it out. I would definitely come back here but probably not until my kid is grown up and out of my house....... if you know what I mean.

That being said... if you don't care about the food (and will cook your own most of the time or travel off resort), don't care about having hotel/resort like features like a spa, and don't have little ones (I would say infant ok, but toddler to maybe 8 would not be so great) --- then, this is a great place... I would say, better for couples, or family reunion types...

Room Tip: I'm pretty sure we stayed in the cheapest room (outside of a Queen BR) and it really is not a bi...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Urmas_Karner, General Manager at The Somerset on Grace Bay, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear travelkimpark,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us at The Somerset. We are pleased to hear that you found the staff friendly and the resort intimate. I will share your positive feedback regarding our housekeeping services and the Tuesday night Beach Barbeque. I’m sure they will be pleased.

I am truly sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the food and beverages at the resort. We have met with our Food & Beverage team, showed them your review and have been assured that this will not occur in the future.

Thank you for your suggestion to have gates available to block off the stairs. It is our goal to provide not only exceptional service to guests of all ages, but to also ensure we are fostering a safe environment. As a result, we have in fact purchased stair guards so that future guests with young children can rest assured that their loved ones will be safe. We do hope you will return to The Somerset to experience this alteration.

Again, thank you for your review and feedback. We do take guest comments seriously, and we are taking the necessary steps to improve. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Somerset on Grace Bay in the future.

Warmest regards,

Urmas Karner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

I cannot say enough good things about this resort. I agree with many reviews about Turks & Caicos that "ideal" is subjective because everyone has a different expectation from a Caribbean vacation. My ideal vacation would be the opposite of some place like Beaches or any other similar large resort. I wanted privacy, high end accommodations, and excellent customer service. The Somerset is all that and more. The staff provides, hands down, the most professional, generous, and genuinely personable customer service I have ever encountered anywhere on any vacation. Our room in the Stirling House was beyond anything we ever expected. It was huge (around 2300 square feet, I believe) with Viking appliances, porcelain dishes, comfortable beds, ample dresser space, and spectacular views. The unit was immaculate and housekeeping always consisted of 2-3 people, so daily service was efficient and non-intrusive. We had some travel mishaps on the way (delayed flights, missed connections, lost luggage) and when we pulled in at 10:30 at night, the front desk staff was waiting for us, ready to park our car, get us food (even though the kitchen had closed at 9:00) and get us settled in. They even waited at the airport the next day to find our luggage for us so that we could spend precious vacation time on the beach. The pool and beach attendants were helpful, friendly, and genuinely personable. There were no resort cards to carry around. The entire staff knew that my family was staying there. It was the kind of rapport that was casual and intimate, yet with high end accommodations and professionalism in every regard. I checked out a number of resorts on Grace Bay (Regent, Grace Bay Club, and Seven Stars) and The Somerset was exactly the right choice. We're going back to Provo next year and there's no place else I'd want to stay.

• Stayed July 2013
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

By far the best thing about this hotel is the views. It has a gorgeous pool overlooking the water and this really cannot be beat. Additionally, the rooms are new and spacious and the accommodations are lovely. We stayed in the penthouse suite in the Sterling building and have no complaints (except for the water pressure not being enough!) The service was amazing and it is definitely a place that I would stay again.

Room Tip: Sterling Penthouse rooms are absolutely beautiful and face the ocean head-on!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Wellesley, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

After much research into where to go on my initial Caribbean vacation I decided on T&C. Once I'd made that decision it was time to decide where to stay. I poured over tripadvisor and expedia and orbitz reviews for all of the hotels along Grace Bay Beach, to the point of analysis-paralysis. Weeks of looking at reviews and photos of all the hotels on the travel sites and on Oyster, and then I finally made the decision to go with the Somerset as the best combination of luxury for the price, and I was not disappointed for one minute.

Visited from July 23-28th of 2013.

Everything from arrival to departure was phenomenal. Picture perfect. The facilities looked exactly as they look in the pictures on Oyster, which I wasn't expecting to be honest. I expected to be let down a little, and was thrilled when I wasn't.

Room: My room was perfectly comfortable, although to be honest the only time I was in it was to go to bed (since I was on a solo trip). I thought I might check out the TV, but never ended up doing that. Wi-Fi signal was a bit weak in my room at the front of the property, but was able to get done what I needed to.

Concierge:
Lachelle was great! She setup all my activities for me in advance and even dealt with some confusion on the part of one of them. Everything went smoothly.

Facilities:
The workout facilities did the trick, if you need to workout on vacation.
Several nice areas (front porch, breezeway through to the pool/beach) to sit and read out of the sun if you'd like. Croquet lawn is a nice touch, saw some kids playing out there.
Landscaping and buildings all look beautiful.

Restaurants:
Luna: Good lunch food and drinks, service either inside, poolside, or on the beach. Definitely hope "Five Star" is there making the drinks, he's a character. Paula took good care of all my food needs.
O'Soleil: Continental breakfast every morning was more than enough for me (banana bread was a highlight!), but others might want to order an actual meal. I can't comment on their other breakfasts because I never had one. Ate dinner here my second night and it was quite good. Definitely in the pricier-strata of island restaurants, but delicious.
Tuesday night beach BBQ buffet: BBQ dinner on the beach? What's not to like? The food was good and it's "all you can eat" so you can eat plenty of it. Make sure you try the corn, and save room for the desserts.

Beach:
Great amount of frontage and more than enough chairs and umbrellas (at least during the off-season for tourists) on a beautiful stretch of Grace Bay. Absolutely nothing to complain about here.

I had lofty expectations for my first Caribbean vacation, and the Somerset was a big part of my vacation exceeding my expectations, so I'm confident that I'll be back many times.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Lancaster, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

This was our 2nd stay at the Somerset and this time we stayed in a 3 BR estate villa--Flintwick--which was amazing! The quality and size of these villas is what makes Somerset so special. HUGE master BR and bath, very large 2nd BR & bath, and a smaller 3rd BR with a queen. The kitchen is HUGE too and had a separate ice maker from the refrigerator---for cocktails. Next to the accomodations was the personal attention we received from the housekeeping staff--Jocelyn, Marshalee, Jacqueline to name a few. Not only was midday service included but the evening turndown service was also extensive and included extra water bottles. With a new granddaughter we all liked the entry slope to the infinity pool--which seems to be unique to Somerset. On the beach we used the Hobie wave, paddleboards, kayaks, snorkel gear, towels, beach chairs with umbrellas and even cabanas. Bernard even took some to coral gardens on the rescue boat. Charlene at the front desk was very helpful and Ingrid was our outstanding server at breakfast.
Having previously stayed in the Stirling building I cannot imagine anyone being unhappy with the quality of accommodations at the Somerset. Similar to some other Provo options the first upgrade we'd like to see is a buffet breakfast, followed by newer watersports equipment. I'm sure the new GM has a list of planned improvements that he has in mind.
We highly recommend the Somerset.

Room Tip: The first floor Flintwick villa allowed us to simply walk out to the pool--no stairs or elevator nee...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Let me begin by saying that I spent weeks reading reviews and looking for the perfect hotel to celebrate our parents' 60th birthday.. After all that research, I found it. This hotel met all our requirements: size, price, amenities, and location. The hotel has both guestrooms and apartments and all are decorated slightly different since each is owned by individuals.
We stayed in a ocean view 2-bedroom apartment; the one that is shown in the brochures. It was very well appointed with top of line appliances and stocked with everything you might need. The view from the balcony is impressive and gives you the sense of peace. The apartment is nicely decorated, very spacious, somewhere around 2,100 SF. All the staff was very friendly since the moment we got there and service was generally good. We arrived the night the hotel hosts a "beach party" and we ended up going there. Ambiance was good, but the quality of the food is not worth the $60/pp price tag... skip it.. A continental breakfast was included with our room and it consisted of a variety of fruits and pastries; the pastries were not the best but ok. The drinks at the pool bar were good but overpriced, but then again is an island and about the same elsewhere. The beach is pristine, clean and not crowded and the reef is about 25 minutes away. You can use the kayaks and snorkel gear for free, or pay a one time fee to use a paddle board and other stuff... I recommend taking your own snorkel if you can.

The other guests that were there were mainly families and couples. The pool and beach were not overcrowded at any moment.

We rented a car and getting around the island is easy and finding the hotel was not difficult at all. There are two supermarkets, both of which are 5 minutes away by car. If you are planning on staying a few days, I recommend paying them a visit to stock up with drinks and food. There are some excellent restaurants on the island, but be sure to make reservations ahead of time. Coco Bistro was excellent.

If you are trying to decide between hotels and you are considering The Somerset, look no further. I would recommend to a friend and we are planning to return next year.
Have a good time!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Charleston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We've now stayed at The Somerset twice for a total of 6 weeks and we love the laid-back, casual atmosphere, beautiful landscaping and architecture, and of course the great beach. Nadine will take good care of you at the pool restaurant and Dr Clark is right there in case the prescription is another cold drink.

If you like watersports, Somerset has a good collection for a flat fee for your stay. Oliver and Bernard will take good care of your needs on the beach and are fun to chat with.

Somerset is not the zoo that is "Beaches Resort" and has a better beach front. It's right next to The Palm with great food and Mango Reef is two doors down the beach at The Alexandria. You can borrow a bike for a trip to the market or make the walk via the beach. We usually just get a rental car for $35 a day through the front office. They will set it up for you.

Somerset is a bargain for what you get. To top it off DJ Snoopy will spin up a good time every Tuesday night for a beachfront. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Somerset on Grace Bay? Share your experiences!