“Best Beach Vacation We've Ever Had!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
25% off 5 nights
Ranked #19 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Southlake, Texas
“Best Beach Vacation We've Ever Had!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

Our family of 6 spent a week in paradise at the Somerset Resort. After reading some of the reviews, I was a bit hesitant. I'm glad that we decided to take a chance. We rented one of the estate condos directly on the beach. It was beautiful to say the least. It had 3 bedrooms 3 baths, full kitchen, living room and laundry room. The service at the hotel was wonderful, although it's not a Ritz.. You can stop at the pool bar and ask them to serve you at the beach, but they don't come back and check on you like they do when you're pool side. We ate at the pool bar almost everyday for lunch and once for dinner. Although they are a bit slow at preparing the food, it was always very good. We all enjoyed being served drinks pool side. The resort has pool/beach towels so there is no bringing your own and having to wash them. After walking up and down the beach, I would not have picked another location. The beach was like a pool, so crystal clear. The resort was not crowded so it provided us a very peaceful place to relax. The owner had a couple of floats that we took to the beach and floated for hours at a time. We listened to another couple who had spent a couple of days at Beaches Resort and were very unhappy. It was very crowded at Beaches and you had to compete for beach/pool chairs every day. At the Somerset, we never had to do that. It's small enough that the employees start to remember you day after day. The beach side pool is very nice and our children spent many hours there after being at the beach. We stayed on the bottom floor and really liked it because we could easily walk out the door and be at the pool or the beach. We did rent a car and made one trip to the IGA. I took one extra suitcase and loaded it down with snacks, cereals, etc. Even though I had read how expensive the food on Provo was, I was still shocked at the grocery store prices. Since everything is shipped over there, things cost more. In the end, I was glad that I took a lot of the food with us. Plus, it gave us an extra suitcase to bring home souveniers. The weather was perfect and we didn't get too many bug bites. I took off with us and used it on the nights we were out. I only had one bite while those who didn't use it had 5 or 6. We also enjoyed a night out at Hemingways and were pleased with the food. After a wonderful week, we will definitely return to this resort!

Room Tip: Rent from an owner. It saved us thousands!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2011

Upon arrival we were greeted with a cold drink and cold towl in the lobby. Check in was quick. The property was exquisite...everything was well manicured. The pool is lovely and so was then beach. This leads me to the staff. For the most part, everyone seems nice. The guys on the beach that help with the Hobie cats and beach chairs were very cool. Others seemed a little indifferent to our presence. Don't expect to be waited on while on the beach for example. I found myself walking over to the pool bar more than once. At one point I even told her to check on me evey half hour, only to be completely ignored. Dont even get me started on the "concierge"...she has a very limited knowledge of pretty much anything. She told me the snorklimg at Smiths reef was about the same as Coral Gardens...which couldn't be further from the truth. Good thing I decided to take the $30 round trip cab ride to Smiths reef. The snorkeling there was totally worth it. The concierge also let us down with transportation, shopping advice and restaurant reservations. With that said, do your own research and be informed. The location can't be beat. You are walking distance from the supermarket and shopping. I suggest you at least get some cold cuts and drinks for lunch...at the prices they charge for food in Provo...you will save a few hundred dollars just making your own lunch. Continental breakfast was included but they aren't exactly forthcoming with what's included so be sure to ask. Housekeeping kept the room clean. Nightly turndown service with water and chocolates. Aside from the cons, the Someset was very nice. Most of the staff was pleasant. Beach was beautiful and not crowded. Infinitely pool was great. Location couldnt be better. I'd stay someplace else next time only because i feel i could have gotten comparable service for less but my stay was here was good. I definitely enjoyed it.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

I studied TA reviews extensively before picking the Somerset. This review is written from perspective of parents travelling with young school age children. We stayed in a 1 bedroom "garden view" room and paid about $800 a night.
The unit was quite large. Entered into good size living room with large sliding doors looking out onto greenspace/yard. Note had only sheer panel covering extensive window so could be privacy issues staying in there at night. A few steps went down into a "den" with a sleeper sofa. This space was pretty plain with 2 small windows at top of wall which didn't open. This was where our kids slept. Would have preferred a layout where they were sleeping closer to us but since windows in this room didn't open and we travel with a monitor it wasn't a huge issue. From living room there were a few steps up to a galley kitchen overlooking the living room. This was very clean and nice appliances and a small laundry room off this. Down the hall was a bathroom with single spa tub. At the end of the hall was a good size bedroom with private bath with shower. Windows looked out on parking lot but we spent little time here in daylight hours so who cares. Unit was overall very clean appearing although some of the furniture(white) looked a little soiled. Bedding was nice and bed was comfortable. Room has a safe. We did note our sliding patio door was unlocked on arrival and discovered it unlocked several times during our stay for unclear reasons so be sure to check doors every night at bedtime.
We had daily room service and most nights we had turn down service with bottled water or chocolates left and dirty towels removed. One minor irritation was that the plavce seemed very stingy with toiletries. We had 2 small bottles of shampoo(for 4 people at a beach location) and in spite of leaving notes,etc it seemed hard to get extra shampoo left. The bar of soap at the sink stayed there the whole week and even after it disappeared it was never replaced. Not sure if there was some communication issue or what but this was annoying when paying $800 a might.
Grounds were lovely-pretty flowers, beautiful breezeway to a picturesque pool area. Pool was cold(we mostly swam in the ocean so didn't care) but very pretty and clean. It was never crowded when we were there in early April. The beach in front of Somerset was pretty spotless(the beach all along Grace Bay is remarkably clean given number of tourists) and never as crowded as other hotels. Water was also perfect-no seaweed as we saw in front of some other hotels. It also appeared the water got rougher as you go toward Tuscany/Regent Grand end of beach but not sure if this was just the day we were walking along the beach that way.
Food is uniformly expensive everywhere as noted by multiple reviewers. Note the continental breakfast is complimentary. This isn't clear at the restaurant so first few days we made mistake of ordering other items off the menu. Beware that many restaurants charge for refills-racked up over a $20 bill drinking iced tea one night after a day at the beach. We thought the food at the restaurants at Somerset was good but service could be slow(less so at the poolside place). We spent a lot of time walking along Grace Beach and it is lined with resorts which all have full service and also nice poolside restaurants(which were typically cheaper but still with good food) so easy to eat at a variety of restaurants.
Beach is stunning and water is crystal clear. At Somerset you are about a 30 minute pleasant beach walk from the coral reef where you can do snorkeling right off the beach. This is ideal for beginners. We snorkeled every day. Conditions can be pretty variable(had a few days with choppy water) and sightings some days better than others. We saw starfish, wide variety of tropical fish, large hermit crab and an octopus!!!
We didn't rent a car-spent all our time up and down Grace beach. Car rentals we saw were these tiny little vehicles that almost looked like smart cars. Not sure what all is available but these wouldn't have been suitable for a family. I've done easy island driving on the left in Grand Cayman but driving seemed a little more complicated here-roundabouts,multiple lanes of traffic and we saw 2 significant rearend collisions while in a cab.
One weird thing to be aware of...when we asked hotel about getting a cab for return to airport they asked when our flight was and told us to get to airport about 2 hours early. We had a 7:45am flight so were picked up at 5:30. Alas, the cabs apparently work somewhat like the Disney Magic Express in that our minivan cab then went and picked up another couple at another hotel. These people were arguing about how to split the bill with another couple so we were kept there cooling our heels for 10-15 minutes. Then when we got to airport their computers were down and we wound up standing in a line that didn't move for 45 minutes. Not sure how to get around this but I would try to insist on a cab just for you and also give the hotel desk a time to be picked up rather than telling them what time your flight was. I would think based on what I saw that you would be fine to arrive about 2 hours before your flight..
During our stay we walked along the beach and saw a lot of the other resorts and ate at numerous other places. At far end of beach(probably 15 minutes from the reef where you snorkel) is Gansevoort-had an ultra hip vibe. Saw kids there but definitely a beautiful people kind of place. Beaches resort appeared huge with a very crowded,active beach area that I personally would not have enjoyed. Windsong is right in front of the reef where you snorkel. I preferred being down from it a bit-less crowded and a good excuse to walk daily. The Veranda looked really nice although pool didn't look very clear. Regent Palms is next to Somerset and the grounds were beautiful. They also have a small collection of shops including a small market which was a nice place to buy drinks, candy bars,etc. Would have been curious to see rooms here as public areas were so nice. At far opposite end of beach(probably an hour walk from coral reef) was Regent Grand. It seemed large and somewhat impersonal and pool wasn't overlooking beach.
Overall I was pleased with our choice. It wasn't perfect but some of this is to be expected when travelling in the carribean. Grace Beach is stunning and felt safe(pretty much just tourists-most of them Americans). There were no hawkers or the like at all..

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Newport Beach, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2011

Stayed a week in the cottages in the back of the Smerset with an 8 and 10 year old. What a bargain to be able to stay at such a nice property for so little. The staff is great from Winston - DJ Snoopy- to the bartender. Everyone was helpful, the grounds are immaculate and the pool one of the most beautiful on the island. Lots of food choices to choose from. Enjoyed the scallops at O'Soleil, Mango, Mike Bell's Bay Bistro cooked our fish caught with captain wing dean of Hookem to perfection. Conch chowder at Hemmimngways was the best. Highly recommend the hotel and staff. But if you have young kids Beaches is still the best. But as they get older this would be my choice.

Room Tip: Check VRBO as most of the units are private.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Ipswich, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2011

We stayed for 1 night, March 31st. We booked a 1 bedroom garden view. The room was very large and well-appointed. The master bedroom had a comfortable king sized bed and an en suite bathroom with stall shower. The bathroom was L shaped and a little tight and dark. We had no view but we didn't care since we were only there one night. (We had booked at Beaches and due to weather, came down a day early, but Beaches was not available). Our kids slept in the living room area, our 5 yr old on a pull out couch and our 2 yr old in a crib. With the sofabed pulled out and the crib in the eating area there wasn't much room to move. There was a kitchenette with stainless appliances and a washer and dryer, which would be great for a longer stay. There was also a loft area accessible by a spiral staircase, and two pull out chairs up there. We didn't use it and actually wished it wasn't there because of course the kids were fascinated with it. We ate lunch on the beach. The beach is gorgeous in this stretch. There is beach service, but it is slow and not entirely accurate. The food is barely mediocre from the pool bar and the portions are small. The drinks were nothing special. The price is high. The pool is very small and was crowded. There was food left on a table for over an hour with flies swarming. We ate dinner at the restaurant in the hotel and were not impressed in the least. Again, way overpriced. We were glad to go to Beaches the next day. The food was better and our room was actually better laid out for our family, albeit smaller area-wise. We are large luxury resort type people so the small boutique nature of this place wasn't our cup of tea, but I wouldn't discourage anyone from going if they intended to explore the island for other food options and didn't care much about the pool. So when I say I would recommend this hotel to a friend, it is because I have some friends I would recommend it to and I don't think it would be fair to the hotel to give it a "no" on that.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Burlington, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2011

My husband and I just returned from a 5-day stay at the Somerset. Lovely location, nice pool and well appointed fitness centre. Staff at the pool side restaurant are wonderful (Daniel and Patronella). However...BE AWARE...if you stay in a standard room (as my husband and I did) it is nothing more than a small (very small) room with a Queen bed (such a small queen that makes me think its actually more like a double) that almost touches the bathroom door and the entry door. "Kitchenette" is really just a cut out in the wall just a short space from the end of the bed that has a tiny microwave, tiny, tiny sink and a small bar fridge. Very limited dishes and cutlery. In our case, the "Garden view" was a view of the parking lot which maybe had a bit of grass around it. All this for an expensive price. I was so disappointed, I asked to upgrade. The only opton was to pay an additional amount of money (more than $500) per night (in addition to the $500 we were already paying) to upgrade to a one-bedroom (not pool view, not ocean view).

The point is this...don't book a standard room at Somerset...they are overpriced and you can get greater value on Grace Bay at another hotel. The ocean view and even pool view suites are great but really?? They are $1,500 per night. Again, Somerset is a nice hotel but WAY overpriced for what you really get. Yes, T&C is an expensive island so you have to expect to overpay for your accommodations. But really....Somerset is over the top. Plenty of other nice hotels to choose from.

Room Tip: Don't pay to stay in a standard room
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
long island new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2011

Having been to this island once before, i was prepared for a pricey jaunt. However, the prices on this most breathtaking beach property were outrageous. The condo itself was very nice(2 bedrooms 21/2 baths0) shared with extended family. But is was not worth the price. Nor was the Greek salad with one glass of wine worth $55.00. All of the properties on Grace Bay are on the same magnificent beach. The Sands which is close by is far more reasonable(not cheap). Choose your hotel( they are mostly all condos) carefully as the prices can blow you away and you have the same beach and the same choice of restaurants where ever you stay. One more caution. Beware the airport!!! Total disaster zone. Notwithstanding all of the foregoing, it was a lovely hotel, great beach, and fabulous weather.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Been to The Somerset on Grace Bay? Share your experiences!