“truly spectacular” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
new york
“truly spectacular”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2010

We arrived December 2 for 6 nights. We rented a car from grace bay...was cheaper than the competitor, the car had over 100,000 miles but gave us no problems. From the moment we stepped on the grounds everything felt perfect. We were warmly greeted, a small tour around led us right to our luxurious corner suite, overlooking grace bay. There was never any problem getting a lounge on the beach or the pool. The staff was always available and friendly. We had lunch at the Plunge, we both enjoyed our meal and we had dinner at Parallel 23, service was excellent but overpriced and the food was average.
We ate at many different restaurants, but the ones that i believe are a must are Coco Bistro for the food and atmosphere that really take you away and Conch Shack, also delicious food and cool surroundings. We stopped at Graceway Gourmet for some wine and snacks for the room. One morning we had breakfast at the Saltmills Cafe, loved the colorfull atmosphere and the food was very good and very reasonable. We then went to the Conch Farm for a small but very interesting private tour and met Sally and Jerry. I still am thinking about these two huge conch critters that slipped out of their shell to greet us and let us pet them....how cool it that!
One morning we both received an amazing spa treatment at the hotel spa. I have been to numerous spas aroung the world and i have to admit that this one was one of my favorite.
We took a snorkeling and conch diving tour with Caicos Dream Tours which was a lot of fun.
Thanks to trip advisor for all the wonderful advice, i went to this island for the first time and was confident and comfortable that we were going to have the time of our lives and......we did.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
FireIsland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2009

Upon our arrival of our 5 night stay I was disappointed to see that the resort (4 Diamond) looked run down and shabby - dingy lobby chairs - holes in pool area cushions and pillows etc.. It needed a "shot in the arm" which it received due to the fact that a millionaire/billionaire bought it out for 5 days for a wedding. The staff was busy polishing, cleaning, staining and re-stuffing pillows and cushions - this was all good and understandable, but we were sorry that our vacation was at the same time. Christmas trees, pointsettia's - every holiday ornament disappeared. By the way the resort looks beautiful now - wish I could have enjoyed it this was - it was all completed on our last day. Does anyone know who this mysterous millionaire was?

Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2009

We traveled to the Regent Palms on Providenciales for our Honeymoon in November of 2009. We watched fares for a few months before our trip and ended up in an Oceanfront One Bedroom Suite which was an amazing room (Villa/Condo). It had every amenity that you could dream up along with a view and balcony that was absolutely perfect. The best feature was a walk in shower with a bench and two heads as well as a huge jacuzzi tub. Believe the hype about these rooms, they are fantastic.

There are definitely other highlights of this resort.

The spa is incredible. We went there several times during our weeklong stay and each treatment was great. The facilities were on par with some of the best spas in the US (think Broadmoor or Wynn) but the therapists were top notch as well.

The beach and the drink service on the beach was great. The water is crystal clear and the sand is powdery like I have not seen anywhere else. The only drawback is that you can't order food directly to your chair.

The restaurant Parallel23 is an excellent choice for dinner. The food is great with options for seafood or steak lovers. The bar is good with good wine and cigar selections. We truly never had a bad dinner on the island. There are many excellent choices for great meals.

This leads me to the biggest issue with this resort...the concierge. Their recommendations were overall not very good. Whether we asked for help finding a boat to charter, a place for breakfast, or a deserted beach, they just were not very much help. Even when I tipped them generously the service did not improve.

Our biggest problem was with a woman named Yadley. If you go to this resort and she is at the Concierge desk, just go back when someone else is working. I asked her for directions to the Chalk Sound National Park (which is beautiful) and she looked at me like I was crazy. She screwed up two of our dinner reservations. I asked her to look into a night dive for us...she told my wife on the phone that it was going to be $200...then when we got downstairs the price had magically jumped to $550. The bottom line is that she is just not good at her job. I am done ranting.

We really enjoyed the island overall. The food was excellent at night. Coco Bistro, Anacoana, and Grace's Cottage were great for Dinner. We rented a car and drove to Malcolm's Beach, Chalk Sound, and everywhere in between which was a lot of fun. We rented a boat for a half day from Deep Blue which was a great trip. We walked in the casinos and walked right back out...they smelled and were depressing (and I love gambling).

I highly recommend Provo. I recommend this hotel as long as you can be your own tour guide.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2009

I use trip advisor quite a bit so I feel it is important to give back to others that have provided such valuable info to me in the past.

We returned from our first trip to Turks and Caicos in August, where we stayed at the Regent Palms. To assist people in assessing this review it is important to know that we travel as a family quite a bit and we like to stay in 4 or 5 star resorts and hotels. I would have to say the Regent Palms fits the bill.

The Pros
*The hotel is small enough to not be overwhelming and to remain classy
*The rooms are immaculate and the white linens and bedding add to the clean lines
*The beds are extremely comfortable and the A/C works great.
*The beach staff is extremely attentive with gestures such as setting up your beach chairs with as many towels as you want, offering cold fruit throughout the day as well as cold water and spray mists if desired.
*The beach is amazing, the clearest, bluest water I have ever seen and the Regent Palms definitely has the best spot on Grace Bay.
*The free use of snorkel gear, sailboats and kayaks is a nice touch as well
*Complimentary continental breakfast was great for us as we usually prefer just fruit and cereal for breakfast on any given day at home...if you are a big breakfast eater who likes eggs, etc...it may get expensive.
*This hotel is within walking distance to many very good restaurants, otherwise taxi fares get prohibitive when traveling with more than 2 people because they charge by the person to get places.
*Concierge service was very good...very eager to help.
* We love to work out, so the fitness center is important to us. This fitness center was fine, 3 treadmills, 2 ellipticals, 2 bikes, some cybex equipment and free weights. Never crowded.

Cons
*Some of the staff was less than eager to assist. The people in the breakfast room in particular. They seemed annoyed if you asked for orange juice or water. Don't expect any hearty "good mornings" here.

*I had to call three times to have our room made up during the day, one day it never got done, the second day I had to call twice and the third day when we returned from being out all day at 5 pm, the woman had just arrived to make up the room. That was sort of frustrating because all we wanted to do at that point was to lay down in the A/C and we had to go back out to the pool until she was done.

*As mentioned earlier if you are traveling with more than 2 people it is very expensive to get around the island. To go 6 miles to a restaurant it costs us $70 round trip (there were 5 of us). We rented a car for 2 of the days that we were there. It gave us the flexibility to explore the island and to get to some of the other restaurants that were not within walking distance without feeling that we were getting ripped off.

*The food is very expensive at most of the restaurants, however we knew that going in so it did not come as a shock. The food was also very good.

Restaurants
We loved "Lemon". It’s a Moroccan restaurant. We had the owner order for us and we were not disappointed.
Magnolia’s was also very good, very pretty setting.
Walked to Hemingways for lunch one day. The food was very good.
A favorite for lunch was “Da Conch Shack” they prepare conch in as many ways as you can imagine and one was better than the next.

One note was that after a while all of the menus began to look alike with a few variations.

Overall, We would definitely go back to Turks and stay at the Regent Palms….although we have heard that since we were there the Gaansevort opened up down the beach and that is very nice.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Va Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2009

I agree with what someone else wrote about people having different personalities in regards to traveling - (minus the guy who got kicked out despite having a reservation - thats awful) The reviews of The Regent Palms have varied so much. Maybe its all about timing!
The resort was beautiful!! We had a garden room, 3rd floor...the decor was pleasant - super clean bathroom and comfortable bed. Great Bar area - with fridge and microwave, plates, glasses, wine opener. We brought some food with us(bread, pb&j, chips, crackers for our fishing trip) and took someones advice and got a few bottles of wine and vodka at Duty free when we stopped in Miami - 2 bottles/person - fyi...
the Cabanas on the beach were so nice and the beach workers or "wizards" were wonderful and helpful - always made up our chairs for us, we went kayaking and sailing on the Hobie Cats several times and they always helped us, we got cold towels, frozen fruit and bottles of water delivered just as a curtoesy.
I thought the complimentary breakfast Buffet at Regent Palms was wondeful(so many people complained on here) - plenty of fruit, coffee, juice, bread, cereal, yogurt, danishes and puff pastry - enought to hold you over until lunch thats for sure and you can always order and pay for more - which we did twice and thought the food was very good. The massage was nice - not amazing(could have been my masseuse) - but $60 for 60 min. wasnt bad and the spa itself is worth seeing! very pretty and everyone is so accomodating!!
we met great locals. Max at the conceirge desk was fabulous. the cleaning crew did a great job and David a bartender at Parallel 23 from Jamaica was awesome! You couldnt go wrong with staying here. I thought the location was perfectly situated. we rented a car from grace bay car rental - highly recommend to do that at $39/day with the 7th day free - why wouldnt you? taxi's can add up anywhere you vacation and just the idea of not being able to come and go as you please. the Island is very drivable and fun - its nice to go to other beaches and the restaurants in the blue hills and to the marinas.
From the Regent Palms we could walk to Somewhere on the Beach - a fun place that serves Mexican dishes, nachos, tacos, etc. it was good - live reggae on Sunday - awesome!
the snorkeling in front of Regent Palms was great - Starfish and Sand Dollars, a few fish - they provide you with gear free of charge if you dont have any.
we did the Caicos Dream Tours and that was a blast! really nice snorkeling and conch diving and the ceviche salad was awesome - the guides were so cool, one snorkels with you and points out things of interest. You shouldnt leave T&C without doing it!!!
someone did complain about kids on here - and yes there were a few, but I think if parents are respectful to the people who dont have kids with them and dont plop down in the middle of a group with no kids, then there is nothing wrong with it. I wouldnt want it to go to a couples only resort b/c it is so nice and I would want to stay there with my kids someday - it's up to the parents to be responsible for them and maybe go off to the side, not be in the middle of the "childless" crowd with screaming babies.
Lastly we ate at many of the great restaurants on the Island - I am getting tired of everyone saying how expensive it is. YES it's expensive, but you are on VACATION! If you can't afford it, don't go or dont drink or bring sandwhich stuff or go to an all inclusive resort and eat Buffets. Take the area you live in at home and if you were to go out for dinner an entire week to the nicest places around where you live and drink and get appetizers and dessert and the whole 9 - it really would be VERY comparable.
Yes, $10 for a beer is expensive, but now you know thats how much it cost so if thats more than you want to spend on a beer maybe this isnt the island for you - dont get on tripadvisor and complain how expensive everything was. (not all places are $10, that was the highest I saw for a beer).
We ate at Caicos Cafe - SCALLOPS WERE PHENOMINAL!!!, Coco Bistro - Homemade Conch Raviolis - Famous Coconut Pie!!! Grace's Cottage - Foie Gras amazing and Grouper!! Lemon Cafe -Delicious and its nice to get something different with their MOroccan flair! The ambience and decorations of all these places are so romantic and special. i LOVE outdoor eating - if you forget bugspray no worries, Regent Palms has some and so do the restaurants - it wasn't a major problem!
we did go to Yoshis for sushi - very mediocre sushi - every roll tasted the same and the sake was below average for the price(i'm not complaining about price - i would pay for good sake)
we did do the lobster bon fire bash one night with live music- that was fun - and the food was good - nice to be on the beach with music.
for lunch - twice we ate at the Conch Shack - AWESOME!!! and everyone there is so cool, the staff and locals just hanging out. we ate at Bay Bistro - was good - can walk to it from RP! Horse Eyed Jacks - my grilled marinated lobster was awesome - my husbands grouper sandwhich - below average. we would go back to da conch shack instead of horse eyed jacks. just a preference.
Best thing we did was bring our lands end soft cooler bag packed in our luggage - we went to wine and spirits bought some beer, mixers, ice...and enjoyed ourselves on the beach!! highly recommend investing in one. easy to carry - resembles a beach bag if you will and you can SAVE SOME MONEY - not much!! :)
Enjoy your vacation, stay at the Regent Palms, eat great food, listen to live music, swim, dive, fish, snorkel....do it all, you only get one life to live!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Nazareth, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2009

We returned recently from the Regent Palms. We travelled 3 adults, an 11 month old and a 5 year old. The resort is only 5 years old but seems like it has been there much longer due to the architecture of the buildings and the maturity of the landscaping.

I always use tripadvisor as an important tool for our vacations. I have stayed at four seasons resorts (Nevis, Hawaii) and some of the best resorts in the Caribbean so my expectations are usually high and my comparisons are fair. I find that people review resorts very differently due to mainly their personalities. If you are going to the Caribbean and expect fast service or expect the staff to be as accomodating or as nice as Asian employees or in the US then you will be disappointed. Keeping that in mind let me get to the important strengths and weaknesses about the resort.

The resort grounds are beautiful. The landscaping is immaculate. The architecture is stunning. Everything is authentic. No corners cut in the stone work. The arches everywhere are inviting and the place feels very warm. At night the walkways are lit and the resort actually looks even better. This resort is not that large. The pool area is a bit disappointing. You really can't swim at all. It is a semi circular pattern and is not that large. There is only one pool. The hot tub is really not hot but more like warm.

We had a one bedroom ocean front suite on the second floor (5201). The staff member who brought us to the room on arrival said this was one of the best rooms/views in the resort since it overlooks the pool and the entire beach even while you are sitting and has a wrap around balcony that is accessible from the living room, dining, and bedroom. I cannot explain to you how beautiful and spacious this suite is from the furnishings to the finish in the bathroom. The only thing it was missing was a flat screen tv but aside from that I have to admit it is the absolute nicest suite/accomodation we have ever stayed in at any resort including the Four Seasons (which to me is the creme de la creme of resorts/service). So accomodations are 7 star.

I had 2 massages at the resort and my wife had a pedicure and a facial. The spa is also one of the nicest I have been to. A zen garden style with palm trees lining the pond and the treatment rooms are outside each in its own structure. All our treatments were superb.

The staff at the resort is mixed Philipino/local Caicos residents. I understood from an asian staff member that the resort contracted a good amount of asian workers (don't know the reason but I assume because asians are extremely good at service and pleasing their customers) and you can definitely feel that the asian workers are absolutely exceptional at making your stay perfect. On the other hand the Caicos staff members are a hit and miss. Some are really accomodating and some are just plain rude. I have concluded from all my travels in the Caribbean that the locals from any of the islands are all the same. I have not found one island where most of the local were really nicer than other islands. In the end it is a similar mentality/culture and they need to be extremely greatful for all the visitors that come to their islands for if it wasn't for tourism it probably would end up being like a typical African country.

The beach is pristine and the sand is powder soft. Definitely do the Dream Caicos Tour (1/2 day snorkel tour/conche dive) to half moon beach. We took a private charter and had the most amazing time and it was the highlight of our trip. The color of the water is unreal.

In regards to food. Parallel 23 has phenomenal food and a gorgeous setting. We ate there twice since it was soo good. Plunge is your average beach bar. Room service--- the food is horrendous! Don't waste your money. Breakfast in the morning was average. Nothing special

All in all it was an excellent trip. Would definitely recommend it to anyone. We won't be back since we always try new places. The Four Seasons Costa Rica is next on our list. You will not be disappointed. The place has gotten 4.5 stars from travellers like us and with that many reviews you will never have 5 stars. It is the best resort on Turks and Caicos for families but if you want to be at an adults only resort then check out Amanyara. Now that is Asian style resort/luxury. The staff better be Philipino!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2009

The Regent Palms is a beautiful hotel inside and out! A lot of hotel's spend money on the exterior of the hotel but not so much on the rooms but this hotel's room's are as beautiful and well done as the exterior of the hotel. Our room was spacious, a garden view. The room had a refrigerator, little kitchen area with cabinets and a sink, large countertop with espresso maker, dishes, and a microwave which came in handy for making bottles. We had a pull out couch which my 4 year old son slept on and a very nice wooden crib with bumpers that was brought in for us. We had plenty of space and were very comfortable. There are plenty of closets that we stored our luggage in to give us more space. The bed was very comfortable and the air conditioning worked wonderfully. The bathroom was good size with a seperate toilet and door. The entire room was done in a travertine tile and the countertops were granite.

The pool was wonderful with two younger children, it had a shelf that went around most of the pool so the kids could be in the water and stand on their own. They also had floating noodles, an infant floatie and infant and kids lifejackets. There was plenty of shade with umbrella's and the chairs around the pool were soo comfortable. If you can get a sun pod (large round mattress with pillows) around the pool, those are so comfy and relaxing to hang out on. The pool/beach staff is very friendly and provides great service- they will bring you as much free bottled water as you can drink, fresh towels and move umbrella's if necessary.

The housekeeping staff was amazing and extremely friendly. They will come to your room several times a day to clean, check to see if you need anything and for a turndown service. We requested fresh bottled water daily and nightly to keep in the fridge for making bottles and for drinking because the water smelled funny. You also have to request ice to be brought to you because there are no public ice machines. This process can take a while so plan ahead if you will be making drinks.

The free continental breakfast at the hotel has fruit, chocolate croissants, fruit danish, blueberry and chocolate muffins, cereal's, bagel's, toast, tea, coffee and milk. You can add hot items but honestly they weren't amazing, the hash browns were frozen patties and not very tasty and the omlet/eggs were just ok. If you want a good breakfast, go to Salt Mill's cafe, you won't pay as much and you will get better food. We would grab a little something from the hotel breakfast to tide us over and then walk up to the Salt Mills. To get there just walk up the beach to the villa renaissance about a mile or so and cut through the beautiful hotel to the street and Salt Mills is right there. It's a perfect walk to make you feel good about ordering pancakes.

We only had a few problems when we were there but they weren't any reason to not stay here again. The pool resturant and bar service was very slow and wouldn't serve us food at the pool or beach because they ran out of to go boxes and wouldn't let us have a plate outside of the resturant. I think they would have done well to have paper plates or even paper bags to put the food in. I finally did go to the bar, order my food and go and take it myself to the pool/beach. Also beware, they add a 15%service charge on to your bill automatically, so you may not need to tip on top of their 15%. The server will stand over you while you sign and tally your bill so just make sure you check it before signing. We also had an issue with our safe in our room not locking. We would lock it, the safe would show locked but then I could open it without a code. Check your safe and make sure it is working before you store your valuables. The security staff did replace our safe and then come and fix it a few times after so it was working for most of the trip.

Lastly and also my fault, UGH!!! I got eaten alive, the mosquito's are hungry little critters and so are the sand flea's. USE BUG SPRAY!!!!! I looked like I had chicken pox and they itched like crazy so take the time to use the bug spray that they so kindly leave in your room! I also figured out a few day's too late that the little store on property had benedryl cream to give me some relief from the itching. Just FYI in case you forget to use the bug spray.

We had great meals at:
Coco Bistro-amazing atmosphere, outside seating, lots of palm trees. Food was good.
Somewhere-a new tex mex place on the beach at Coral gardens hotel. The fajita's were the best I have had in a long time, the fish taco's were good and the margarita's were just ok, order the mojito. Owner is from DC- very friendly!
Baci -good italian food.
Bella Luna-Our favorite resturant for service and Italian food! Save some room for the chocolate molten lava cake with ice cream, soo good!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family

Been to The Regent Palms? Share your experiences!