“Wonderful Stay - Just Be Aware of Spotty Service” 4 of 5 stars

The Regent Palms
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   16 Princess Drive, 00000, Providenciales   |
Ranked #18 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Washington DC
“Wonderful Stay - Just Be Aware of Spotty Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2006

My husband and I selected The Palms for our honeymoon. I'm going to write a rather lengthy review of the pros and the cons since I used the reviews on TripAdvisor to help determine where we stayed for our trip.

Pros: This hotel was on the cover of Conde Nast Traveller's Feb 2006 issue and looked simply amazing. We were excited about our trip since it's a fairly new resort, Delano Hotel Type decor in Miami though it looked like it didn't have the attitude. We were luckily upgraded to a beautiful penthouse guestroom in Building 1 that had an amazing wraparound deck that had a dining table, lounge chair and ottoman and a comfy terry cloth covered bed with pillows. All overlooking the ocean and pool area. We felt like we were in paradise. Our package had continental breakfast included with our package so we enjoyed room service on our deck each and every morning. The Aqua Di Parma toiletries were large sized and really luxurious. Other Pros: Extensive, well equipped gym and we like to work out everyday. The most incredible Spa experience I ever had. The photo on Conde Nast Traveler is actually the spa waiting area - it is heavenly. I had 3 massages over the course of the week. Ask for Rosanna, Madeleine or Consuelo. Each one gave me one of the best massages I've ever had and I get them frequently in many cities when I am on business travel. We went scuba diving one day with Big Blue which was great, went snorkeling at the Coral Reef area that is a 15 minute walk down the beach 2x during our stay and the rest - we lounged on the deck chairs overlooking the beach. We loved the Plunge Restaurant for lunch and ate there almost everyday (the Grilled Grouper Salad was a favorite of ours) and ate at the Parallel 23 Restaurant every other night of our 8 day stay - the Crab Cakes and the Mahi Mahi or Lobster were favorites of ours. We found that some restaurants are less expensive though the food quality and gourmet factor was the best at Parallel 23. Yes, it's one of the priciest but we felt it was worth it. Other restaurants we went to: Coco's Bistro which was quaint, Coyaba which was expensive and a nice treat and Hemingways' which I heard about alot on other reviews but to me - it actually seemed like a Chili's restaurant.

Cons: The service is very spotty - sometimes you get all the utensils and coffee mugs in your room service order and sometimes things are missing. re: the minibar which we actually ate and drank out of alot - when we arrived, it was only 1/2 stocked so I made a point to let them know so they wouldn't charge us and when I had to call to have them restock it the next day, the person restocked it but still had things missing. Each time we ate or drank things out of the minibar, we'd have to call someone after not seeing the customary minibar restocker for a day to restock it. We were on the 5th floor of building 1 and the elevator went out twice during our stay. Not only was it sort of annoying sometimes though I thought what about the room service staff and housekeeping staff not having use of an elevator! Also - be sure and bring mosquito repellant. I always travel with it when I travel to warm destinations and for those of you that do tend to get bites, on warm nights, they are around. Another con is the local staff. On one occasion my husband asked how to get AAA batteries for his radio and they said "we don't have any way to get them for you". And I personally asked for a pen from the front desk agent after I got my daily NYTimes synopsis and she told me "We don't have any pens". How can a front desk agent not have any pens? When guests have to sign off on their bills all day long. I felt that the staff had the attitude of saying no to guests b/c they just didn't feel up to getting something for them or doing some research for them. Another agent went in the back and got out a large supply of pens. The staff needs to be trained to not say no or we can't do that and instead "let me find out for you".

Another helpful tip for those of you that are staying longer - You can get additional snacks during your stay at the wine and snacks store on site or take a short cab ride to the IGA supermarket where we stocked up on goodies and also bought some books and magazines to read at the Iguana bookstore across the way.

All in all - we may go back to the Palms b/c we loved our room, the beach and the restaurants though if our next trip to Turks and Caicos takes us there after the Mandalay Bay or Ritz Carlton is built there - we may try those out instead in case the service may be better.

• Stayed March 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2006

We stayed at The Palms in February this year.
What a great hotel!
We had a fabulous 5 days! I would really recomend the resort to anyone. There happened to be wedding at the time we stayed at The Palms and the management seemed to do a great job for them. The resturants at very high quality - the Parallel 23 might even be the best on the island from our non- scientific review!! Our room service was excellent and the maid really helpfull.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2006

I, too, am writing this from THe Palms halfway through our vacation. I, too, was very concerned with the reviews. SO here are my thoughts. Decor of the hotel and quality of the rooms is excellent. I've had 2 dinners at Parallel and enjoyed both and found the food to be high end and original. (And I enjoy gourmet meals.) Service is very spotty starting with housekeeping which is slow and inconsistent. We often returned from dinner to find turn down service had not been done. My daughter's bed was a pull out sofa so we would have appreciated assistance with this. We called housekeeping 2x and finally the Superviser herself showed up but was not thrilled that she had to do the turn down herself. There is definitely an attitude problem which obviously affects the service. At times I just felt like many of the employees could not care less and did not want to be bothered. Beach is beautiful but towel situation is horrible despite an apparent delivery of large quantity of towels in the past few days. Towels would arrive at the beach at 11:30 or later. Good selection of restaurants on the island and obtaining a cab is easy. Overall the hotel is very beautiful but do not expect the Four Seasons style of service. Management is trying to improve some of the deficiencies and have brought in Managers from other hotels such as the Peninsula in Beverly Hills (M. Bartle). These individuals are doing their best to improve service so I would not hesistate to visit and enjoy a vacation. As other reviewers have commented, it is overall rather quiet particulary at night which was fine for us as we tend to crash relatively early and are not bar hoppers. Keeping in mind some of the issues listed above, I would still say that if you want a quiet vacation with high end luxury and a spectacular beach then this is the place for you.

NY, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2006

One requirement we had on our trip was a direct flight from New York City and Provo provides this with direct service from many eastern seaboard cities. Travel time is just over 3 hours and then a 15 minute ride to the resorts.

The Palms is an extremely beautiful beachfront resort directly on Grace Bay which is one of the best in the Carribean. The rooms are amazing. We stayed in a one bedroom suite that had marble floors througout the room. It had spacious and thourougly decorated living space, two bathrooms, a washer/dryer, dining room and a stainless steel and granite kitchen. The pool and ocean views from the rooms and terrace are great. Every aspect of the living space is luxurious and comfortable.

The clientel is upscale but very down to earth and friendly. Most were in the 30-50 range and traveling without their children however the resort is child friendly and very accomodating to all ages. We traveled alone but would definitely bring our kids the next time.

The pool and beach staff are helpful with getting you situated with lounge chairs, tables and towels. The pool is a very relaxing scene and has a full restaurant and swim up bar. The pool twists through the courtyard and continues up to the beach and culminates into an infinity pool that fades into the background of the clear blue ocean. It is absolutley beautiful. The beach offers the same towel and lounge chair service as well as a variety of watersports from snorkling equiptment to hobie cat sail boats.

From the beach we could walk in either direction and find restaurants, entertainment, or seclusion. There are many resorts that line the beach but in high season it didn`t feel at all crowded. However, this destination it is not for people seeking extreme seclusion as there is a moderate pace of activity around you.

I must comment on the concierge staff however it does not erase how wonderful the resort is. They need to be managed. Ask alot of questions b/c they seemed inexperienced and didn`t seem to have any pull at the top restaurants or knowledge on the sailing trips or power boat exploration cruises. Narrow down what you want to do and pay a little more and you will get on the right trip. Restaurants; they would call and relay whatever they were told which was usually that they couldn`t guarantee a table and there would be a wait. Don`t expect them to leave you a message concerning the outcome of your request even if they had all day to work on it. Despite this we found waits to be no more than one drinks time if any at all which again led us to think their networking skills needed some attention. This area will probably improve as the resort matures so beware that you need to manage the concierge if you plan on using them. This was the only area we would say needed work.

We visited many resorts in Provo and thought the Palms was the best. The amenities, beauty, and location are unparalleled on the island. We had a wonderful time and came back well rested and relaxed. We would definitley return. Good luck.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2006

I'm actually writing this review from The Palms. The reality of this resort is that whether you love it or hate it depends on your perspective and your travelling background. If you're used to travelling to Four Seasons Resorts (particularily outside of the Carribean), and are expecting the same level of service here, you'll be disappointed.

The Resort itself if beautiful, and the suites are beautiful. The staff are extremely friendly - interestingly, the property here has tried to solve the Carribean Staffing issues by bringing in staff from the Phillippines - which makes for attentive staff - the problem is that they end up being the front line to a very poorly run operation.

Since we've been here, we've had no A/C in our room for 2 days. Everyday down at the beach/pool they run out of towels and there aren's any to be found anywhere. They seem to run out of bananas at exactly the moment that you want a banana mud-slide. Yesterday, all of us felt like salads, but after we ordered, we were told that they were out of Romaine lettuce. It never ends. There is no fine dining at this resort, so we've been trying other places on the island, but our experience has always been that it is extremely hard to find high end dining anywhere in the Carribean.

If that kind of thing doesn't bother you, and you just want to beautiful place to relax with beautiful rooms and friendly staff, then it will be hard to beat the Palms. If you find all of the easily fixable issues that this place has endlessly frustrating, then don't come here - it'll drive you nuts. It's a shame, really, because this place could be over the top if they ran the place properly...

New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2006

The service is poor but the rooms are beautiful - well appointed and clean. The beach is excellent but there are not enough lounges so you need to stake it out in advance. The pool is beautiful but same lounge issue. The food is very over priced but there are plenty of restaurants on the island that are good. Having a car was helpful. It was quiet overall but make sure you get a room not near the construction of the condos next door. Snorkle trip with Big Blue was excellent. Well priced casual restaurants: Tikki Bar and Hemingways.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2006

We have just returned from a trip to The Palms and the facility is beautiful. It is a great place for for couples to enjoy a relaxing vacation or for families with little ones who enjoy building sand castles and banana boat rides. My husband and I made the mistake of bring 3 teenagers with us. There is absolutely nothing to do for teens, day or night, but watch MTV. There are no in-room movies to rent, no activities for teens, nothing. They could not even find candy bars (i.e. Snickers, M&Ms). We took the 3 teens to Cancun last year and had the best vacation ever. As far as all the negatives we read about the service on the island, most were untrue. We ate at a different restaurant every night and our food was served quickly and courteously everywhere on the island. Though, in most restaurants it was hard to find a server after the food was placed on the table. Not five star service, but we were not expecting it either. All of the reviews we read beforehand about this being an expensive vacation were true. Expect to spend plenty, all the more reason to leave the teens at home. Finally, construction is going on everywhere so daytime noise is inevitable. Our room was on the opposite side of the hotel from The Palms construction site, yet on 5 days out of 7 the hotel next door had construction going on all afternoon. Which is fine if you are not planning on napping in the fresh air out on the patio. Did I enjoy this vacation spot? Yes. Would I return to Provo or to The Palms? Definitely not.

• Stayed February 2006

Been to The Regent Palms? Share your experiences!