“Be aware of strong currents ... I almost drowned. Safety measure are urgently needed at this beautiful location.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Bight Reef

Bight Reef
Providenciales
Improve this listing
Type: Reefs, Outdoors
Activities: Viewing wildlife, Snorkeling
More attraction details
Owner description: An underwater paradise of coral reefs.
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

I am sure this place is as beautiful as people describe it in the review. My husband and I were going to snorkel that day. I have snorkeled before and scuba dive! For some reason as the weather changed the currents got so strong that the undercurrent dragged me under and almost killed me ... I had to be rescued by another swimmer that was present as I could not get out of the water! Moreover, my husband was also struggling to a point he could not even rescue me at fear of drowning himself.

Unfortunately there are no flags notifying people of the danger and the status of the currents/waves. Since there are so many people/tourists that go there to snorkel that it would be a great idea that a person responsible to protect the corals would have the responsibility to set information of ocean conditions (red flag) and give newcomers advice and tips to stay safe, nit just to avoid the protected zone. This would be a great place for the hotel, authorities, country to have life saving equipment and a life guard on site ... 4 other people almost drowned the very next day according to our hotel staff who were horrified by our experience.

We write this review as two health care professionals hoping to ensure safety, not discourage snorkelling on this beautiful location. we hope this review encourages change to ensure that the goal of ZERO deaths happen at this site.

Visited November 2013

Sarasota, Florida
3 attraction reviews
“Saw more fish here than on the snorkeling trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Lots of parrot fish, lion fish, and many others. Great place to snorkel located at Coral Gardens on Grace Bay Beach.

Brewster, Massachusetts
23 attraction reviews
“Great Reef!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

This was the perfect reef to snorkel around and was located directly in front of our hotel, Coral Gardens. They have put up floating markers to keep you directly off the reef but you can easily see so many varieties of fish, including the local celebrity barracuda, Elvis!! We say octopus, rays, and even a young turtle directly on Bight Reef and to think we drove and snorkeled all around the island to find the best location right at our resort.

Carneys Point, New Jersey
6 attraction reviews
“Bight reef was outstanding for snorkeling!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Just off shore, there is wonderful snorkeling on bight reef. The snorkeling begins in about 3 feet of water and goes to a depth of about 25 feet. On the reef, we saw barracudas, stingrays, lionfish, trumpetfish, angelfish, sargent majors, and tangs! No big waves or strong current make snorkeling here fun and easy!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 attraction reviews
“Beautiful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Very close walk from our hotel. Lots of friendly fish that swim right up to you. Sea turtles come between 12 and 2 every day and are in the far left corner of the swim area around the reef (if looking from shore). We saw a barracuda and some friends saw a sting ray! We snorkeled there four times during our trip and the scenery was different every time.