I was horrified after reading some of the reviews on Trip Advisor. Granted, we brought our 10 year old grand-daughter back in April of 2001 but things couldn't have gotten this bad in 3 years!
I came to Turks & Caicos with my lads in 1999 for scuba diving. We stayed on a live-aboard dive boat for the week so we only got one land time to get rid of some nitrogen build up. But we were dropped off at the Allegro to hang out, eat and enjoy beautiful Grace Bay. I knew then I had to bring my wife and grand-daughter.
We chose Beaches since it was all-inclusive and it would be my grand-daughter's first time in the Caribbean. We wanted things to be as easy and effortless as possible. To sum it up, we all had a blast. We found simple pleasures like counting how many house lizards we would see every night. My grand-daughter found wonder in picking up unusal insects, miniature crabs and hermit crabs she would find on the beach.
She especially loved the swim-up bar to drink her smoothie (sans liquor of course). We spent hours in the several pools, the beach, basketball, giant chess board and just walking the property. We took a snorkeling trip for her benefit and also took the Iguana Island & Shelling trip where we took tons of photos. We even snorkeled off Bight Beach where there is a snorkeling park and I was able to show her moray eels, barracuda, sting-rays, french angel fish, queen angel fish and all the usual Caribbean fish. The only thing missing was a shark sighting.
The food was just fine and we enjoyed the themed buffets. However we did the Japanese restaurant and Schooners for a la carte meals and we enjoyed them both. My wife ordered an Absolute and Tonic at the Japanese restaurant but the bartender made a mistake using generic vodka. He promptly dumped the drink and made her a new one in the blink of an eye. She also loved the Spa and bought several products to bring home.
The staff was very friendly and the more you engaged into conversation with them, the friendlier they became. A little money to housekeeping every other day or so means all the world to them. Remember, this is still a 3rd world country and evey bit helps. My grand-daughter developed a rash, possibly due to the neoprene suit she was wearing while snorkling or some micro sea creatures. We took her to the infirmary where a very lovely retired lady doctor worked to take care of mostly children. It was like taking your kid to Grandma.
I would do a bit more research before bringing our grand-son but as far as I'm concerned, Beaches was one of the best vacations we took with our grand-daughter who has been to Disney World's Deluxe Resorts at least 8 times before she turned 10. Folks, this is the Caribbean. My wife and I have been through the whole range from Venezuela and the Dominican Republic to Grand Cayman. Those who travel the Caribbean will know what I mean. I admit that it is a little pricey, due to the all-inclusive and the fact that everything is flown in. So, rack up your frequent flier miles, read more articles about 3rd world countries focusing on the Caribbean and come with an open mind and a spirit of adventure and friendship and you will have a fantastic time!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •Sweet 16! Sixteen specialty dining options with everything from Caribbean to Japanese, Italian to French, Seafood to Sushi•7000-sq-ft retail village offering guests‟ high-end jewelry, fashion, candies, souvenirs•Our very own Pirates Island themed aqua-playground hosting one of the Caribbean‟s most comprehensive water parks featuring nine slides, lazy river, surf simulator, water cannons, cranks and spray features•Kids of all ages can enjoy fun and games with Elmo and friends in our Caribbean Adventure with Sesame Street®•X-BOX® Play Lounge with plasma screens and the latest games on the market •Voted Beaches Resorts “World‟s Leading Family All-Inclusive” 14 years in a row•Voted Beaches Turks & Caicos “Turks & Caicos Leading Resort” for the 4th year in a row•Voted Beaches Turks & Caicos “The Caribbean‟s Leading Family All- Inclusive” for the 2nd year in a row•Six Star Diamond Award- Beaches Resorts “Keeping it Green”, American Academy of Hospitality Sciences•Six Star Diamond Award- Beaches Turks & Caicos for the Italian Village•Five Star Diamond Award- The Resort, Le Petit Chateau Restaurant and Mario‟s Restaurant ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Amex, Tingo, BookIt.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Venere and Otel so you can book your Beaches Turks & Caicos reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Beaches Turks Caicos Providenciales
- Beaches Turks And Caicos
- Beaches Turks & Caicos Turks And Caicos/Providenciales