“Were we on the same planet?” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 65%!
Ranked #15 of 44 hotels in Providenciales
A TripAdvisor Member
“Were we on the same planet?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2004

I was horrified after reading some of the reviews on Trip Advisor. Granted, we brought our 10 year old grand-daughter back in April of 2001 but things couldn't have gotten this bad in 3 years!

I came to Turks & Caicos with my lads in 1999 for scuba diving. We stayed on a live-aboard dive boat for the week so we only got one land time to get rid of some nitrogen build up. But we were dropped off at the Allegro to hang out, eat and enjoy beautiful Grace Bay. I knew then I had to bring my wife and grand-daughter.

We chose Beaches since it was all-inclusive and it would be my grand-daughter's first time in the Caribbean. We wanted things to be as easy and effortless as possible. To sum it up, we all had a blast. We found simple pleasures like counting how many house lizards we would see every night. My grand-daughter found wonder in picking up unusal insects, miniature crabs and hermit crabs she would find on the beach.

She especially loved the swim-up bar to drink her smoothie (sans liquor of course). We spent hours in the several pools, the beach, basketball, giant chess board and just walking the property. We took a snorkeling trip for her benefit and also took the Iguana Island & Shelling trip where we took tons of photos. We even snorkeled off Bight Beach where there is a snorkeling park and I was able to show her moray eels, barracuda, sting-rays, french angel fish, queen angel fish and all the usual Caribbean fish. The only thing missing was a shark sighting.

The food was just fine and we enjoyed the themed buffets. However we did the Japanese restaurant and Schooners for a la carte meals and we enjoyed them both. My wife ordered an Absolute and Tonic at the Japanese restaurant but the bartender made a mistake using generic vodka. He promptly dumped the drink and made her a new one in the blink of an eye. She also loved the Spa and bought several products to bring home.

The staff was very friendly and the more you engaged into conversation with them, the friendlier they became. A little money to housekeeping every other day or so means all the world to them. Remember, this is still a 3rd world country and evey bit helps. My grand-daughter developed a rash, possibly due to the neoprene suit she was wearing while snorkling or some micro sea creatures. We took her to the infirmary where a very lovely retired lady doctor worked to take care of mostly children. It was like taking your kid to Grandma.

I would do a bit more research before bringing our grand-son but as far as I'm concerned, Beaches was one of the best vacations we took with our grand-daughter who has been to Disney World's Deluxe Resorts at least 8 times before she turned 10. Folks, this is the Caribbean. My wife and I have been through the whole range from Venezuela and the Dominican Republic to Grand Cayman. Those who travel the Caribbean will know what I mean. I admit that it is a little pricey, due to the all-inclusive and the fact that everything is flown in. So, rack up your frequent flier miles, read more articles about 3rd world countries focusing on the Caribbean and come with an open mind and a spirit of adventure and friendship and you will have a fantastic time!

5,940 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,439)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2004

We just returned from our trip and it was SOOO bad that I just had to write and warn everyone. My husband and I hadn't been on vacation for awhile and were looking forward to this trip. Friends of ours had been to Beaches Turks and Caicos and were singing high praises for the resort. We were travelling with our 4 year old daughter and our ten month old son. This vacation ended up costing us$7,900 for six nights. For that type of money you would expect to at least get a decent meal at least once. The place was disgustingly dirty. Every day we would find at least one large dead waterbug in our room. The cleaning service never seemed to clean. One morning my husband was going by one of the childrens pools and one child was swimming around with a nose bleed (a very bad one), and there were feces floating around in the pool. Instead of having the pool cleaned, they left it there for a few days. Activities for kids? What activities? They never had anything posted.

The only thing I have no complaints over was the beach. Absolutely beautiful. However, if you think you're finding a beach chair, past 9:00 a.m. ... think again. By the 3rd day we figured out what everyone was doing. Waking up early, getting towels, laying them on the beach chairs and then heading out to breakfast. Now for the food. ... HORRIBLE. We heard Sapodillas was good, but it was adults only (wasn't this place supposed to be a FAMILY resort?), the only other restaurant that was decent was Schooners. It took us 1 hr. and 15 min to get seated and another 45 min or so for us to place our order and our food to arrive. Good luck keeping your kids occupied for that long. Oh and if your still contemplating on going make sure you bring at least one dozen cans of OFF! insect repellent. I was eaten up alive.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2004

I expected more from an all-inclusive. We found the water undrinkable because of it's odd taste. When we asked for bottled water we were told we had to buy it at the souvenir shop. You can get top shelf liquor at any bar, but my eight year old could not get drinkable water.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2004

My husband and I got married at Beaches Turks and Caicos on May 14th, 2004 and were at the resort from May 10th-17th. First let me begin with saying that we are educated, world travelers (my husband is a pilot and I an International Studies student) from Atlanta, GA, and we are NOT hard to please. It is not that Beaches is an awful resort..its just AWFUL for the money! We had previously gone to Sandals Grande St. Lucian and thought that our positive experience would carry over. Wrong. DO NOT GO IF YOU DO NOT HAVE CHILDREN!!! I wish I had listened to that advice here on this site. I love children and didnt see that it would be a problem, but the point is, it is not at all worth the money unless you have several children to entertain. The resort is NOT about luxury and fine dining with great service, its about being practical and comfortable for families. Even if you have children I dont know that I would recommend it, due to the value for price.

We accepted a promotional offer to upgrade and I am very sorry that we did. If you go, stay in the lowest categorie room. The upgrade (which was supposedly 4 levels above the lowest) was CRAP!!! I looked in the cheapest rooms and it was the SAME room! We had a hole in the wall, literally, a blood stain on the bed, a filthy a/c vent, and shoe marks all over the walls. Our safe did not work, the main light did not work, and the room was equal to that of a Motel 6. I was mostly upset b/c we had paid hundreds of dollars to upgrade to CRAP!!

Your drinks will not be served in glasses garnished with fruit. They will be served w/ no fruit in a dixie cup. They will not be blended properly, so be careful not to suck an ice chunck through the straw. Also, the so-called premium alcohol is on the shelf and the stuff they actually use is in an unlabeled bottle, so who knows if it is actually 'premium' or not. Also, your drinks will taste completely different depending upon which bar you go to, and yes the service was extremely slow.

The food-- TERRIBLE!!! It can be best described as bad (very bad) cruise food. It is geared toward being quick and simple for CHILDREN. Do not expect gourmet Italian, expect chef boyardee style crap! We both lost weight during the week we were there and we are NOT picky! I assumed that the food would be the same as it was at Sandals (which was quite good), but I was sadly mistaken! If I wanted cold cuts on stale bread, I would have stayed at home.

The service- It was totally hit or miss, but was not exceptional (as it should be at a 4 star resort) anywhere. When we complained about our room and wanted to be bumped back down they refused and claimed that the resort was booked to capacity, though it appeared empty as there were plenty of chairs, etc at the beach and pools. I had to call NINE times to get a new blanket w/out blood on it....and once I finally got in touch w/ one of the managers, he agreed to refund our upgrade charge and said we would get a letter stating so by the end of our trip. When the end approached, there was no such letter and no such man that had heard of us. This has left me dealing w/ the corporate office in Jamaica. Oh what fun!!

Stupid Disney was at the resort filming while we were there and various locations were closed to guests because of this. We were in the French Village when they decided to close it down and were asked to walk around the outside of the property to get back to the main part of the resort. Nice huh? We noticed that the hammocks were ratty with huge holes in them and were delighted when we saw them being replaced. We were then shooed away and told that filming was in progress. When we returned minutes after they finished, the crew removed the nice new hammock and put the ratty one back up again. Lovely! This is just one example of the kind of thing we experienced the entire trip.

I will say that the wedding itself was lovely and the staff did a great job. The picutres are done by an outside company and they are great! This was the only good thing about our trip.

Please feel free to e-mail me w/ any further questions you may have. I promise I am a nice, easy going person, but close to 4 grand for a week at this place is absolutely insane! Happy vacationing!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2004

We recently returned from the worst vacation ever! Let me first say that we've traveled the world and know to respect other cultures keeping in mind that we are the visitors in other countries. We are always polite to the staff. Last year we vacationed at the Beaches Resort in Negril, Jamaica and have nothing but good things to say about it! We were sold on the Beaches all inclusive concept and looked forward to repeating that expierence at their Turks & Caicos property. What a night and day difference!! It's the picture of total disorganization and lack of interest in their guests. There was a mix-up in our reservation and instead of the concierge suite we reserved 6 months ago we were given a musty, moldy ant infested room with 2 single beds...for 4 people! The management never called to apologize or made any attept to rectify the situation. This is how they treat members of their Signature Guest Club! Rightfully we were entitled to a free upgrade but they always told us nothing was available and laughed in our faces. Oh yes, we paid for a suite! In fact T&C cost more than our Negril suite plus 1st class airfare! The resort was ridiculously expensive..$2 for 8 Tums!
Everyday brought new problems. The closest pool was closed 4 different days because some kid took a dump in it. Why not add chemicals and filter it? No, they let it sit for 24 hrs and hope the sun kills the bacteria. The toilet overflowed 4 times and it would take housekeeping up to 4 hrs to come clean it up. They thought we were crazy for asking that it be mopped with a disinfectant. The ants were so bad that every morning our shampoo bottles would be covered with ants and there would be 20 dead ants floating inside my daughter's face wash bottle. Not a day passed that one of us didn't have an ant floating in a drink. Getting a replacement could take up to an hour. Don't ask for a napkin, just go find your own somewhere. Don't expect things to be clean. The hot tubs and pool bars are covered with black mold. With the exception of Le Petit Chateau and Sopodillas, the food is horrible. Don't bother with the long omelet line at breakfast because they can only cook one at a time.
The water is a situation all it's own. They must filter sea water for consumption because it smells strongly of sulphur. It's just disgusting to brush your teeth, shower, swim and drink water that smells like rotten eggs! Even the bottled water is affected.
The employees are obviously unhappy. They never smile! They hide in the bushes to consume big plates of food from the buffets. I say let them eat, I just don't want to have to see them hoovering behind the towel cart sucking on ribs. If you do find a friendly employee chances are they're Jamaican! They pay attention to detail and go out of their way to be friendly and hard working.
The evening entertainment is an embarrassment and not appropriate for a family resort. There is never enough equipment for snorkeling. Checkout is a zoo. The problems go on and on.
Had we paid for a Motel 6 quality vacation we would have expected all this and accepted it. But we didn't..we paid a hefty sum and feel scammed. Beaches doesn't allow their employees to accept tips. They feel that they are well paid. It's a fact that Americans generate most of the business in the Caribbean. We work long, hard hours for our money and don't mind paying for a nice vacation.
This isn't it and no one should put up with it! I'm planning to tell everyone I know to stay away from Beaches!

• Stayed June 2004
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2004

My partner and I have just returned from a 14 night stay at Beaches.

GO TO TURKS AND CAICOS, FIND SOMEWHERE NICER THAN BEACHES

The resort must be considered completely separate from the beautiful Turks and Caicos islands. The Islands and surroundings are astonishing, the resort is not. Beaches resort could be anywhere in the world as there is nothing that makes the resort specific to the Turks and Caicos. The resort consists of furnishings that are standard to Sandals resorts, and imported trees, plants and even 'singing rocks' (supposed to blend in).

THE ISLANDS- Amazing crystal clear waters, 10 minutes walk to swim/snorkel with turtles. Get away from the resort and you see near empty beaches which is great. You can walk straight out into the sea and be swimming around with fish, we saw turtles, huge starfish, beautiful coral and so much more snorkelling. I would recommend getting out and seeing the island as much as possbile as the best days were the ones where we were out of the resort. We went out on the Iguana Island getaway and also hired a 4x4 for two days to see the island. This meant it didn't cost us much at all to go to the Conch Farm (very good), Chalk Sound National Park (beautiful views) and much more. To get a quiet day away from the resort you should go to the east, north west, or souch coast where we saw no on other than a few locals.

IT IS A SHAME- that the island has been overtaken by big ugly 'Condo's' and 'Real Estate'. A lot of construction is going on in Provo, everywhere you go an ugly outlandish home is being built that does not fit in with the beautiful islands. Don't let this shadow your view though as the beauty pulls your attention away.

ALL inclusives are taking business away from the local businesses, so I'd push to spend you money wisely and stay in self catering accomodation and hire a car as it's so easy. This is what we wished we'd done!

We wish our agent had told us that the resort was manufactured and marketed towards the 'American Family.' Kids were having a great time and in general, we weren't bothered by kids at all. I feel it should not be recommended to couples, specifically british couples. 14 days of being in such a manufactured environment is too overwhelming.

In general the staff were very polite and accomodating, the food was average and the furnishings were ok. Personally I would expect the food and resort to be above average.
DURATION-I would not recommend a stay over 7 nights as the limited evening entertainment does not change weekly, therefore you will see the same every week night.

NOT INCLUSIVE-bottles water, gobsmaked. OUT OF DATE water was in all of the vending machines for $1, (we drank this unknowingly for three days, we were reimbursed for the out of date water we'd bought, but it took them three days to replace it)

GOOD WINE? To our astonishment, there were ONLY TWO kinds of Red wine, what I would consider £5-8 a bottle quality. This was the first shock for paying a bomb for an all inclusive, as we drink only wine! The other let down in the lack of personal touches, not one of our evening meals was special in content and service, however, we did hear the Le Petit Chateau was good. We were dying to get home and have a romantic meal!

FOOD-The menu's did not all change daily either, and the food choice is limited. BREAKFAST-is very good in Schooners, but the other few choices are lack lustre. LUNCH- Reflections and Guiseppe's food is the same, but staggered through the week to disguise it. Ther is only one other choice, Arizona, this place had great mexican food that we found very satisfying. DINNER- Again, Guiseppe's and Reflections provided very standard food. The Sushi bar was great and the staff very friendly.

Apart from that it was great!!! It was unfortunate to pay so much money and then want to get out of the resort for most of the holiday, however, this meant we saw so much more beauty and nature than many of the other tourists.

I hope this helps!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2004

OK....My take on Beaches...... We have been to the Turks twice and Beaches Negril once. We just returned July 2nd.

Check in was a breeze. We are Signature guests and we were done in 15 minutes. We could not get in the room until 3 (their normal check in time).

Room was great. We have been upgraded EVERY visit. No mold, ants, roaches etc....

Pools and towels.... Pools are great and yet some parents do not put swim diapers on their kids.. Accidents happen and the staff at Beaches are just being health conscious. Towels.. Guess what folks they have a finite number and when others grab more than they need... Some one is left without. I never saw them run out until late afternoon.

Food runs the gamut... Buffet to ala carte. Schooners is our favorite.... All in all given that this is an all inclusive the food is quite good. No its not five star but you are not paying five star prices either.

The Turks are expensive because EVERYTHING is imported. This island does not grow anything local thus it must be shipped and then a 30% government tax on top...

People... My take is you get what you give. We are visitors to their home island. Be pleasant and you get pleasant. Be RUDE as many were and get ignored.

Yes the pace is different. Enjoy it do not fight it. If the bar is slow, order two or ask for extra rum in your favorite island drink.

Entertainment... Good No its not Vegas. Our boys aged 17 and 13 met friends and had an excellent time.

Hey do something different. Take a night time walk on the beach. Swim in the pool at night. Find a lounge chair light up a cuban and give thanks for all that you have...

Relax, Relax......

Been to Beaches Turks & Caicos? Share your experiences!