We visited Turks and Caicos from May 16 - 20, 2009.
Resort room: The Ocean Club West resort is a condominium resort, like most on Turks and Caicos. We stayed in a island view studio room which came with a kitchenette (full size refrigerator with ice maker, sink, pots/pans, blender, stove top burners and microwave). Food on the island is very expensive (more so than other islands we have visited) so we ate in for breakfast and most days for lunch. The unit came with plates, glasses, serving utensils, paper towels, soap, etc... so you didn't need to buy anything. It also has a washer/dryer with small boxes of detergent provided.The unit had a very comfortable king size bed along with a seating area, TV and VCR and a screened in balcony with table and chairs, which was delightful.
Resort service: The front desk was efficient but not overly friendly. The grounds people were very polite. There is a pool bar that makes excellent strawberry daiquiris with adequate service. Beach towels are provided along with chairs and umbrellas on the beach. These were plentiful during our stay. We did get a call the day before our departure to set up taxi service to the airport at a reduced rate and it is charged to the room. There is a "spa" location at the resort but I never saw it open. The workout room had free weights and several machines, all in good condition. There are also tennis courts with equipment you can use as well as bikes for use. They do have a VCR/DVD collection of movies as well as novels you can borrow from the office.
Grounds: Beautiful gardens, lots of small geckos but not so many that they are a nuisance, beach was clean, soft sand, crystal clear water.
Island: Taxis are a bit expensive but there are plenty. The location of the Ocean Club West is perfect for walking to a number of shops and restaurants. The new grocery store is an easy walk, very clean, had a decent variety of items.
Restaurants: Hemingway's is located at The Sands resort - excellent meal, ate on the "deck" overlooking the beach and ocean, beautiful spot to watch the sunset. Service was good, steak was delicious, prices were comparable and maybe even a few dollars cheaper than some of the recommended spots. Taxi was $13 each way from Ocean Club (could walk with comfortable shoes).
The Bamboo Spot - located across the street from Ocean Club West. We just had pizza (okay) and the house salad, which was great. It came with a tasty ginger dressing and was garnished with pineapple and mangoes.
Pizza Pizza- within walking distance of Ocean Club. Pizza was good (not great) and pasta portions were huge. Great place for a simple, budget conscience meal that you can bring leftovers back for lunch the next day. The ice cream shop located below Pizza Pizza has good ice cream (coffee / cookie is flavorful).
Opus- located at Ocean Club so you can take the resort shuttle for free. Excellent atmosphere with inside, covered or outside seating. Romantic, quiet, service as attentive, food very good. We had a drink at the bar afterward and the bartender was the friendliest of all workers we met on our stay.
The poolside grille at The Grace Bay Club - located next door to the Ocean Club West. Interesting menu options but more expensive for lunch than other places. The service and seating were excellent. They do charge $7 for bottled water (only option) and a 10% service charge on top of the 10% service tax that is added to all food bills on the island. I am not sure our chicken tenders, burger and water lunch was worth $50.
Overall, it was a relaxing, do nothing vacation, which is what we wanted. The resort met our basic needs and I would recommend for families or those not looking to be pampered.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ocean Club Resorts is comprised of two beachfront properties, Ocean Club and Ocean Club West, located one mile apart on stunning Grace Bay Beach. The intimate resorts offer a “Stay at one, Play at both” opportunity for guests to enjoy all the services and amenities of both. An easy stroll down a beautiful stretch of beach is the popular way to get between the two resorts, although guests can be chauffeured by a complimentary shuttle. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and Jetsetter so you can book your Ocean Club West reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ocean Club West Hotel Providenciales
- Ocean Hotel Providenciales
- Ocean Hotel West
- Ocean Club West Turks Caicos
- Ocean Club West Turks And Caicos/Providenciales