“Another good time at OCW” 4 of 5 stars

Ocean Club West
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Ocean Club Resorts, Providenciales   |
Ranked #28 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Hopkinton, Massachusetts
“Another good time at OCW”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

My wife and our two children of 3yo, and 8 mo. respectively had a great time on our second stay at OCW. I had requested a bottom floor unit prior to our arrival since you can't through travelocity and they did reply that they would attempt to honor the request but couldn't guaranty anything, which was fair. Upon arrival the unit was ready and it was in fact a ground floor unit and the closest one to the pool. Fantastic! This made for quick access to and from the pool area with the kids and was incredibly helpful.
The rooms at OCW are a bit dated and I wouldn't consider them luxury by any means. I would label them unpretentous and beachy. Great for an active family and one that intends to eat meals in the room.
The down side to the bottom floor unit was that the unit did not enjoy those terrific breezes that TCI is known for but the convenience more than made up for the lack of open air in the room. One complaint we do have is that our kids were litterally assualted by mosquittos during the stay and they appeared to be coming in throught the front entryway as they all congregated right there. We noticed the maid would leave the door open the entire time she cleaned our room everyday and we are pretty possitive this had a lot to do with our issues. Also, towards the end of our stay we noted that there are control devices, foggers, misters, whatever you want to call them in the hallways, but they were inoperable. We never had an issue with bugs in the past so we originally just chalked it up to the recent rains, but upon our trip concluding we figured that we probably could have advised management to do something about it. Our children and us still had a great time at OCW, but this next time we will bring some plug in repelent items to rid our suite of bugs.

The food this time around was much improved. I think I had the jerk pork tenderloins 3 times during our stay and each time the dish was better and better. Otherwise, the location is ideal for our family since we can walk to the stores, restuarants, etc..all from the resort. We've booked our next trip already and hope to experience the spa, and possibly check out the babysitting service this next time around. The people at the resort are always friendly and helpful at check in, the bbq grills, and full kitchens allow us to cook our own breakfasts and lunches, which also makes the transition to island time easier on the children who tend to be less patient with service times etc...in the islands. (Otherwise called "meltdown control")
The pool is never very crowded and the resort doesn't ever give the impression that it is either, which makes for a more relaxing environment since we never have to rush to get a spot at the beach or pool like at other carribean resort areas. The resort is small so you're never too worried about loosing site of the kids either should they walk a little ways away from you.

The beach area at OCW is one of the wides sections and we appreciate that greatly since the narrower areas have steeper entries to the water making it more difficult for small children like ours to enter and exit the water. My last and final point is that the resort lies directly inbetween some of the most expensive and exclusive resorts on the island but for 50%-80% less per night than either resort. So if you're beach people you're getting the same beach, same view, same water, and sunshine as the people paying double or triple you pay at those resorts. Just look to your left and your right and smile. You can even go to those places eat their food, drink their booze, and still go back to your room knowing you payed half as much a night for virtually the same experience.

Room Tip: Always book a jr. suite and up at this hote! You get a full kitchen, tons more space, and bigger ba...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Mentor, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

This was my second trip to Providenciales at Ocean Club West. In my opinion, it is the best location on Grace Bay. There is a nice stretch of beach by the rooms and Grace Bay has the finest, whitest sand of anywhere I've visited in the Caribbean! This time I stayed in a studio suite which included a kitchenette with everything you need including dishes & a full refrigerator. The last time, I was in a junior suite that was really big. Both were wonderful. All rooms have a screened in patio or balcony with wicker furniture. My room was on the third floor this visit & had high ceilings with a fan, so I didn't even need the air conditioner. I loved sitting out there to read at night, feeling the breeze, listening to the leaves rustle & the crickets. The staff is great! I felt very safe here.

The food is a little expensive, but there is a grocery store near by, so I ate breakfast & lunch on the balcony, & went out for dinner. They also have a grill by the pool in the gazebo. The meals at OCW are very good & so is Hemingway's at the Sands. OCW has a new eating deck in addition to their regular eating area. Both face the ocean & are perfect for viewing sunsets. There are a couple hammocks nestled in the grasses, too.

The pool has bridges that are fun to swim under, but the ocean is the main attraction for me. It's turqouise, crystal clear, usually very calm, & isn't crowded like some of the hotel areas, so there's plenty of room to swim or float as a human raft, or on rafts! In June, 2010, I was lucky enough to see starfish in the ocean by the hotel & got some good pictures of them. They'd line up in an arch, or there would be big ones & little ones. This time there was a line of shells on the beach to check out.

I walked to snorkel at Coral Gardens to the West which is the more populated area of the beach, & spent some time exploring the East. It's very serene & peaceful after you pass OCW's sister property. I walked to the Leeward area. The sand is easy to walk on by the water.

There are plenty of water activities, restaurants, bikes to ride, or cars to rent! It's nice for families, romantic for couples, & relaxing for solo travelers like me!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

We stayed at Ocean Club West from June 19 - June 28, 2012 and didn't want to leave. The beach on this part of Grace Bay was the best (the beach is quite narrow and crowded down by Windsong and Beaches). The pool was great and had bridges and my kids loved it. The staff was accomodating and kind. The restaurant (Seaside Cafe) had a great food and a great staff.

The Condo was clean and very large. We rented the 2 bedroom ocean front condo. Our lanai was huge and completely screened in! I walked the beach and noticed that most properties do not have a lanai this size, nor are they screened in...Loved it for our 1 year old and for the bugs....we sat outside all the time.

Our condo had a washer/dryer, 2 full baths and 1 half bath. All appliances were up to date and in good working order. There were plenty of wonderful families for our children to meet (ages 9 and 13) and we loved it all and all.

I am giving this property a 4 and not a 5 for one reason.... Our condo (Room 122) had the most horrible furniture I have ever sat in. There was not comfortable chair or couch in the entire condo. It almost felt like the owners of this condo don't want you to make yourself at home. The couch in the living room is a hard wooden bench (horrible) with pillows on it that don't even go....I could go on and on, however, if you stay here, just make sure you tell the staff that you will not stay in 122. I went in several other condos of friends we met and they had wonderful, warm, decor, and comfortable, convenient seating. Maybe if this condo doesn't rent for awhile, the owners will update the furniture.

Happy Beaching!

Room Tip: As I said, do NOT rent 122. The furniture is horrid and uncomfortable.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Phoenix
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

My husband and I took our first "no kids" trip in 15 years...this trip was a reward for me recently obtaining a Bachelors degree, us celebrating our 15th year anniversary and just a much needed get away. After driving myself crazy serching for Carribean vacations, I settled on TCI...then searched for the hotel. We settled on Ocean Club West which was the RIGHT DECISION!

The room was condo style (we had the junior suite and loved E-512 by the pool). Having a comfy king bed and a full well-stocked kitchen was FAB! We went in mid-June so it was the beginning of the off-season so there were no crowds but we never felt lonely for others. The front desk staff were helpful, the housekeeping and grounds crew were thorough and the overall stay was the BOMB!

The only thing they can improve on is the friendliness of the female wait staff. We actually noticed this pretty much every where we went...they took a while to warm up to us so I attributed it to a simple cultural difference...but no big deal. If you eat at the restaurant you MUST have the grouper fish and chips...and the curried pork was outstanding. I never ate anything I didn't enjoy when we were in TCI. Just near the hotel are several yummy things to eat...Jamaican patties at The Patty Place...and great ice cream there as well. We also had ice cream at Giggles and another place down the road that I cannot remember the name of (they have a life size cardboard statue of Queen Elizabeth which is a great photo opp).

We did quite a bit of exploring and for the money, and in comparison to some of the hoity toity $700/night hotels, the Ocean Club West was awesome. We checked out the sister property, Ocean Club, which is just down the beach as well. It was nice, but I preferred OCW...very low key. Word to the wise, if you are traveling to TCI...bring your wallet and make sure it's full. Most Carribean islands are expensive but many said that TCI was exceptionally expensive...but again...WORTH IT!!!

If you SCUBA, the Provo Turtle Divers were wonderful...our divemaster was Riquez (sp?)...a TCI native (a belonger) who was quite patient with us as it was our first ocean dive. Also, we did a fun snorkel and conch tour with Silver Deep...our friendly and fun-loving guides were Darren and Captain Lucky.

Room Tip: We had E-512 on the bottom floor and enjoyed the back door exit from the screened patio
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Bonnie Dunn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

Thoroughly professional operation. Excellent staff. Clean, well-stocked condos. Beach access excellent. Unusual pool which is a ring inside the complex makes pool visits feel private. Wonderful place to take kids - we had a one year old and 3 year old, but the place never felt like it was swarming with kids, the layout affords privacy.

Room Tip: Rooms near the beach are, naturally, very nice. But I imaging the quality of the room upkeep is con...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

Great location!!!! Nicest part of Grace Bay Beach. Awesome staff. Rooms were great and spacious. 3rd floor is the best. Try to stay in buildings closer to the beach. Beach bar/restaurant service painfully slow but food is wonderful. We will definitely return and recommend to all. So much nicer and more beautiful than larger hotels and the location is the best. Low key, old school, boutique and established.

Room Tip: 3rd floor and buildings closer to the beach
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

My family off 4 was down ther june 13-21 we had a great time the beach was the best i ever seen food and the staff at ocw was great very nice people The only problem was it way to humid for us. Dont come aug or sept it is vey hot.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Ocean Club West? Share your experiences!