“The perfect family beach vacation” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #23 of 44 hotels in Providenciales
Northbrook, Illinois
“The perfect family beach vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2009

My wife and I have gone to a lot of beach resorts around the Caribbean and Mexico. We've been with our young boys to massive all-inclusives in Mexico and the Dominican Republic for Spring Break the past three years. This year we decided to try something low-key... and we're so glad we did.

Grace Bay is about the most idyllic location you can imagine. The waters are crystal clear and the sands a sofr powder white. With the bay protected by a reef, the waters are calm. At low tide, waves are almost non-existant. So if you want to boogie board in the surf, this isn't your beach. But as parents with young children, it was great not having to worry about them being swept out to sea or churned under by crashing waves.

The Sands at Grace Bay is a lovely mid-range condo hotel. There are a few less expensive options and many more that are far more expensive. We loved the combination of three small pools for the kids and the beach. And the beach activity guys were great, happily taking my wife and kids out for a sailboat ride along the bay (I don't know how to sail, but should learn). Life vests, sea kayaks, fins and other snorkel equipment are all there for the asking.

And forget about towel card nonsese we've experienced at other resorts. Just take towels if you need them and place your old ones back in the bin. I mean, really, who are these people who steal towels anyhow?!

Another thing we love about the Sands is we perfer palapas on the beach to umbrellas. They have a nice row of them down the beach. I tend to be an early riser, but slept in a little more on vacation. I'd walk down to the beach at 7:30 a.m. during a busy Spring Break week and be the first one grabbing a spot. How nice to not be battling for turf at 6 a.m. like I've had to do elsewhere! Heck, there were still palapas available well after 9 a.m. most days. And around the pools, there always seemed to be chairs available. The whole situation was very laid back... as it should be on vacation.

The room (#3113) was fine, with kitchens that have reportably been remodeled recently. Don't expect marble baths like at some big resort hotels. But who cares? Ceramic tile does it for me. Our one bedroom unit with a pull-out couch for the boys was just what we needed. The in-unit stackable laundry was perfect so we didn't have to pack as much. And we saved money by eating breakfast and lunch in our unit. (Note: The new IGA near the Grace Bay resorts is more gourmet and organic themed. Lower prices can be found at the original IGA grocery on the Leeward Highway.) Building 3 is closest to the beach.

The Sands does have free Wi-Fi through the resort, as well, which allowed my BlackBerry to connect and make VoIP calls back to the States as if I wasn't away from home, which was also great.

Hemingway's is a nice restaurant on site, where we ate a couple of times. The beachfront location can't be beat, although the service can be slow at times (we experienced this elsewhere on the island, too). But again, who cares? You're on vacation.

So if you're looking for a spot to hang out for a relaxing beach vacation with your family and don't need nonstop activity (no pounding music playing, just the sounds of the ocean), then this may be just the place for you.

We're already planning our return for next year.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

1,031 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2009

The Sands is perfect in every way. Our one bedroom, one and a half bathroom ocean view unit was gorgeous. The rooms are enormous and comfortably accommodated three adults - my husband, myself and our adult son. The staff are friendly and very helpful. The beach is very well maintained. Lots of beach lounges and palapas. I suggest an ocean view room. It is worth the money! There are many resorts on Grace Bay. We selected The Sands after all the positive reviews on tripadvisor. You won't be disappointed if you go there. It was one of our best beach vacations. A big thank you to Edwardo, Christopher and Adrian, the beach attendants for all their help with water activities!

• Stayed March 2009
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

We stayed at The Sands March 7 to 14, 2009. We are a mother, father, twin boys age 6.

Room: We had a one bedroom ocean front room. It exceeded my expectations! It was very comfortable, lots of room, nicely decorated and clean. The view was amazing, the balcony huge, about 300 sq feet. We had 1 1/2 bathrooms, washer dryer, kitchen, dining room (we never ate inside as there was a table and 4 chairs on our balcony overlooking one of the pools and the ocean), living room,a desk for my computer and a large bedroom. The bed was very comfortable.

Resort: The resort was clean and inviting. Grounds were kept up. Pools / water chanels were amazing. Chairs were easy to come by. If the huts at the beach were all taken one of the activity fellows would dig a hole in the sand, plant an umbrella for you and bring you chairs.

Staff: Outstanding! I cannot say enough about the staff at The Sands. They were amazing. Housekeeping was great, done daily, no problems.The first load of laundry I tried to do, the washer stopped at the spin cycle. My husband figured we have to bail the water out. I called the front desk. A man was at our room within 5 minutes, took a look, said he'd be back and was back and the machine repaired in under a half hour! I couldn't get that kind of service at home. Front desk was incredible. I could write 2 other stories but the review would be too long. Excellent front desk. Eduardo on the beach was fabulous and knew my boys by name. He always had a smile on his face and was happy to help. Thank you Jason at the front desk for your hospitality and conversation. Thank you to Requell at the front desk for going above and beyond to help us out. Thank you to Ronald for repairing the washing machine. Thank you Eduardo for your lovely smile and service every day on the beach. You are all amazing and made our holiday so much more enjoyable!

Hemingways: Again excellent. Food was always good, staff great. Very consistent. Nice entertainment throughout the week. We were lucky we could sit on our balcony and listen to the entertainment in the evening after the boys went to bed.

Location: Great location. IGA is not far. Shopping for souviners is close too. We rented a car from Grace Bay Rentals for the entire week and would do it again.

Beach: What can you not like about this beach? It really is incredible. Soft white sand and beautiful blue water. Every time I trudged through the soft white sand I'd laugh to myself and say "This beats trudging through snow!". There is a lot of beach at The Sands (space between water and property). If you walk down to Beaches the chairs are touching each other and the people are crammed in like sardines.

Overall: If I were to go back to T&C I would definately stay at The Sands again, no question. It was smaller than places we usually stayed at which I really liked, quiet, never crowded at the pool or beach. It really couldn't have been better. I tip my hat to the staff at The Sands.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2009

We stayed at The Sands from March 11-18 , 2009 it's a nice quiet and relaxing place. This trip was for my partner's mom B-day who took the whole families down to celebrate. There was 14 of us 8 adults and 6 kids. We got a one bedroom with an ocean view, on the second floor. They got the best room on the property room 3206 with an ocean front that overlook the pool. The one with kids got the 2 bedroom garden level. All very nice and serve it's purpose. We all got a kitchen, living room, washer & dryer, a patio. We got there around 7 pm so we ate at Hemingways, the food was good but a bit expensive. We decided to go to the IGA the next day to stock up on groceries. We took the shuttle at 9am with cost us 9 dollars each and they give us 1 hour to shop , everything was expensive i was in shocked ($8 for 4 banana muffins) but, it's better than eating out everyday especially with kids.
The Sands has a great beach just walk out your door and it's right there, with the softest whitest sand and the water had this turquoise color gorgeous!! We did Kayaking, Hobbie cat the kids swam, was fun.

Since we are a young couple we needed some nightlife and to get away by ourself. We went to the casino, since they would sent us a car for FREE, we played some blackjack if u play the drinks are free, we met a local and he suggested going for drinks next door at the Infinity Bar in the Gracebay club. This place was nice and hip with the longest bar in the Carebean that stretches right into the ocean. It was nice we ended up taking the parent out the next night there for dessert after we had dinner at Coybaya, it was nice and expensive but it was her B-day. Make sure u check your bill carefully they tend to add service charge on it. We thought it was tax and ended up putting on tips on top of it. We did the Conch farm as well, there was nothing there since the Hurricane destroyed it but the kids enjoyed it.

We also charter a snorkeling trip for the family, which was around $1000 for the 14 people. We also went to Yoshy Japanese down the road for shushi, it was OK, if u can skip it!

Overall this was a great trip, the Sands was a good place, for the family, the Staff was very nice, especially the beach staff, ADRAIN, EDUARDO & KENOLD.
We didn't have to pay for the flight or the rooms but it was the most expensive FREE trip we every had, LOOOL.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Los Angeles, Ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2009

My wife and I visited the Sands last July and had a wonderful trip. The perfect place if you are looking for sand, picture perfect calm water, and a relaxing vacation this is a perfect place to discover. If your looking for exotic, lush green mountains go to Tahiti, but expect to pay.
Some of the positives... You can walk along the beach to all the other Hotels on Grace bay, the Sands was right in the middle. Beach chairs were never crowded and the pool was beautiful. We seemed to always find our way back to Hemmingways restaraunt. two must do's are the Coch and snorkel excurdion(fresh Conch ceviche and rum punch) some of the best coral I've ever seen.. Also spend alot of time snorkeling at Coral Gardens,about a 15 minute walk up the beach. Saw turtles, grouper, Barracuda, and even caught a glimpse of a small (5 foot) reef shark. I also did a dive on the other side of the island , Amazing coral. The highlight was encountering a playful pod of dolphins....INCREDIBLE.
The town isn't much, but there are a few fun bars.
If you want crowds go to Beaches.
If you want to Party, go to Club Med.
If your looking for Romance and Relaxation go to the Sands.
Next time I will definately rent a car, at least for a few days, taxis can add up if your looking to hit the marina or Conch Shack at blue hills, and you'll also want to stock up at the market.
Overall great place, Great beach and like most places, if your friendly the staff is friendly.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Plano, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2009

Our first and last trip to T&C. The attitude at Hemingways, the restaurant at The Sands, was "who cares?" and not what we expected on an island who is hurting for tourists' money. The front desk staff/concierge were friendly and accomodating, but they seriously need to have a chat with the restaurant/bar staff. Massages at Spa Tropique were amazing and we highly recommend them. Other restaurants offered similar attitudes with very little concern about being overly friendly or accomodating. If this is the way the island is, we will go back to the other places that are "happy" to have us there.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2009

My husband and I chose the Turks & Caicos for our wedding location because we wanted a safe, beautiful and fairly affordable location for a few friends and family to join us. After looking into wedding planner prices and packages, I decided to take on the planning myself as some of the rates just put me way over my budget. We chose The Sands Resort at Grace Bay based on some reviews, pictures, location, and value for rooms on Grace Bay. We were not disappointed. We planned everything sight un-seen…meaning we'd never stepped foot in the Turks & Caicos or knew anyone else who did. We worked with Jason from The Sands and Terry from Hemingway's. They were helpful, but I still had a lot of worries about the ceremony and reception as it was all just a vision still, nothing tangible I could feel or see from Denver. The plan was to get to Provo a week before the ceremony, relax, tan, enjoy the beach and be there for when our guests trickled in that week. We rented a car for the week from Grace Bay Car Rental and were pleased with the service, car, and value from that rental car company. When we arrived at The Sands, we checked into our first room for the stay which was a studio on the 3rd level in a back building for a few nights. The room was just fine for us and exactly what we were expecting. Nice furnishings, great AC, no major issues. We enjoyed ourselves for a few days with friends before our families arrived. We enjoyed Hemingway's, Horse Eyed Jacks which may have been our favorite, da Conch Shack, Sibonne's restaurant, and a few others I'll have to think of and write in forums. We also frequented the grocery store, the IGA, quite a few times to get breakfast, beer, and fixings for mixed drinks. We loved the beach, did some snorkeling, exploring beaches in driving distance and just enjoyed the scenery. It was a great way to prep for what could have been a stressful wedding day! A few days before the wedding day, we moved rooms to a beachfront one-bedroom at The Sands. It was amazing and right outside from the pool and the beach. It was huge, could have hosted our entire reception if we wanted on the porch! That was our one big splurge of the trip and we didn't regret it one bit! For the 'rehearsal dinner' which we didn't really have, we just took all the guests that were in town the night before the wedding on a booze sunset cruise and snorkel trip. We followed it up with pizza back at our room at The Sands and we had some people tell us that was their favorite part of the whole trip :) I think we went with Sun Charters for that trip and they were great to work with. Our wedding day came and it wasn't as hot or windy as it had been most of the rest of the week. We got ready just a few hours before the ceremony at 6 PM on The Sands beach. They put up a few decorations and I had some bougainvillea (sp?) flowers to add to the mix. Jason helped set up and made sure the pastor (Pastor Colby) was all ready. I got my hair done by Brigette and I would recommend her again as well. Walking down the aisle was wonderful being barefoot towards the sunset. Our guests just stood to the side of us while we said the vows. Afterwards, we had a half hour or so of pictures taken. After pictures, we moved up to Hemingway's for the reception. It was a sit-down dinner, with like 4 main courses, hour-de-voures, desert, the works. It was tasty, but I didn't get to enjoy so much of it as to be expected at your wedding :) We had an open bar and our guests sure did use it. The rum punches were flowing and they were strong! We had a local artist sing and play guitar for us. His name is Stanley Roots and he's quite a character. If you want reggae and a little Caribbean flair with it…book Stanley. We danced, ate and drank the rest of the night away…closing it with a skinny dip in the ocean! We would recommend everything and everyone from our wedding trip, The Sands, Hemingway's, Stanley, Grace Bay Car Rental, and Sun Charters. I have family members hoping to come back and celebrate our anniversaries with us there in years to come :)

Overall, The Sands was a great deal for us. We hope it continues to be a reasonable option in TCI and the hurricanes leave it well alone so we can have a return visit soon!

• Liked — Great wedding and reception site for reasonable price. Beautiful beach and nice rooms.
  • Disliked — Front desk was a little confused on most bills for a lot of guests it seemed.
  • Stayed May 2008
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Sands at Grace Bay? Share your experiences!