“Good value” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Brisbane
“Good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I visited with my sister and her two kids . On arrival we were upgraded to a two bedroom suite which had lovely ocean views from the screened in balcony and master bedroom. Very well appointed kitchen and bathroom. Very clean resort and suite . Breakfast at the Hemingway was delicious and reasonably priced. A very good family focused resort.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
GeneralManager003_13, Guest Relations Manager at Sands at Grace Bay, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Jacaranda_blossom,

Thank you for your recent review of your stay at The Sands at Grace Bay.

We were delighted to learn that you enjoyed the lovely view of the turquoise ocean from your balcony and that you found the accommodations and resort clean and well appointed.

Indeed Hemingway’s has delicious menu items and reasonably priced. We were also happy to know how much you enjoyed your dining experiences.

Again, thank you for your comments, we appreciate the time you took to let us know how your stay went. We look forward to seeing you return soon.

Warmest Regards,

Adrian Archer
Duty Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
state college
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I had been drooling over pictures of Sands via the internet and their fb page for months prior to our trip and it did not disappoint. I'll try to focus on the Sands here and write a trip report in a TA forum asap. I'll try to include a few tips (I hope), since I really appreciated everyone's here on TA -- let me thank everyone now for all their tips, feedback.

We arrived early and our room was ready. I read some negative reviews about the front desk service but my husband and I found EVERYONE to be so nice, funny and friendly!! We were greeted with our first rum punch of the trip and it was delish. We were taken to our room (studio courtyard) and I thought we must have been upgraded because the room had a separate bedroom; however, I asked about our specific room when we left so I could request in WHEN we return to the Sands and they said it was their studio. Wow! We were in building 3 (great/close to water and Hemmingway's) on second floor (3202 to be exact). We walked into a cute living room with nice-sized mini fridge and microwave, which was all we needed. The bathroom looked updated and we had a nice bedroom with plenty of closet space throughout. Some complained about the bed but honestly, the bed and pillows were so comfy I wished I could have packed them up to take home....best sleep I've had in years!! Oh, forgot to mention their was a very nice note with a bottle of wine for our anniversary -- thank you, that was nice nice of you Sands!

After we got settled (tore open the suitcases to dig for bathing suits) we headed to the beach for our first look at Grace Bay -- no words really. The water is just like in all the pictures it is true...the Sands has the best area/setup.

The grounds are beautiful and we enjoyed going to all little areas of the pool.

We ate at Hemmingway's a few times and enjoyed both staff and meals each time. For lunch one day I had the cold pasta and asked if they could add chicken to it -- no problem and it was so good. Next time I'll order that for takeout so I can have it for dinner some evening. Our last night we ate right by the railing and had a very romantic dinner -- the perfect end to a perfect visit. There was a couple actually dining on the beach complete with tiki torches -- does it get any better, really?!

We walked up and down the beach and for us, the Sands was the right fit. I'm sure there are many nice places but the Sands has the relaxed island feel we love. I made my husband go to Grace Bay Club one/only cloudy day to check out the Infiniti Bar (not what I expected) and even if I could afford to stay there, it was just too "modern" for us. The Sands has the island feel with the open lobby, wicker...LOVED IT!!!

We took advantage of the complimentary bikes and all the beach "toys". I wish I could include more names to thank but a big shoutout goes to Eddy. We wanted to try the Hobie Cat before we left but were afraid to go it alone. He took us out for a ride but there was no wind and he pushed us all the way back, and would not let us help. To the couple that took a picture and tried to get our email address to send it to us...lol, too funny. Thanks Eddy.

We also tired the paddle boards and Kayaks -- again, very nice that Sands offers free use.

Tips: -- Took everyone's suggestion and headed to Graceway Gourmet for supplies. Walked first time and rode bikes our next visit. We were able to get lunch meat, etc. to last a week for around $70. Our next visit we'll try to buy more dinner items and eat a few more meals in room to save $. It was so nice to head up to our room for lunch and then back to beach/pool. We also packed lunch for Taylor Bay by using the ice bucket to keep our sandwiches cool.

-- Please go visit Potcake Place. What a wonderful organization. When we come back I hope to be a courier for one of these loving pups.

-- We were there 6 full days (7 nights Sept. 23-30) and rented a car for 3 days from Grace Bay rental. They were wonderful (had rented for 2 days and we were having so much fun exploring we stopped by their office on our last day and added another day..no problem). Driving on the "wrong" side was easier than my husband thought as long as I yelled "look to right, stay to left" on every turn.

-- Anyway, the car allowed us to go to Taylor Bay, Chalk Sound...etc. Please try to hit these areas as well. I have NEVER seen water the color of Chalk Sound and that includes in Hawaii, Australia, Curacao....etc. Stop at Las Brisas for lunch.

I'm sure I'm leaving out so much so please feel free to contact me for questions. I'm sure every month is nice but we really did enjoy the quiet of September. We loved having beaches like Long Bay Beach to ourselves and going out to eat was not a problem as far as worrying about reservations -- although I would suggest one for Coco Bistro. And..the water was like bath water...another WOW!!

From check-in to check-out, the Sands was fast, friendly and very helpful. Literally the first day back I was checking flights and planning our return trip.

Have a wonderful time in paradise and a big thanks to The Sands for making our first trip to Provo the best vacation to date!!!!

Room Tip: We loved 3202...bright, roomy...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager003_13, General Manager at Sands at Grace Bay, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear woohoostatecollege,

Thank you for such lovely review and for your kind comments about our resort, facilities, staff and of beautiful Providenciales. We will pass on your comments to the entire team and especially to Eddy. He is a gem. It surely sounds like you have not only enjoyed yourselves at The Sands, but also went out to explore the many other secluded beaches on the Island. How wonderful that you were able to do that. There are some many interesting and lovely parts of Provo. We hope next time, you may have the opportunity to also see North and Middle Caicos or if you are very adventurous Grand Turk can be a day trip and only 22 minutes by plane.

We were delighted to know how much you enjoyed the cuisine and services of Hemingway’s…it is also known as a favorite spot for locals for good reason. We are in a great location central to great dining, entertainment, shops and galleries…but more importantly as you rightly point out, our expansive beach front is quite spectacular.

You mentioned Potcake Place, yes it is a wonderful organization. Tourist who come to the island can opt to take a puppy to the beach for a day which many do, and Potcake Place supplies everything you will need to do that. We encourage those who are interested to contact Potcake Place at www.potcakeplace.com where you can also find out how you can help as well.

In closing, we certainly appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your thorough review. We all look forward to seeing you return in the near future.

Cape Coral, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We came to the Turks for a dive trip with a small group of friends. The Sands was a very nice resort with a great 2 bedroom condo that was clean, quiet and had a wonderful view of the pool and ocean. We found the prices of food and booze in the grocery and restaurants to be at least double of what we pay in the U.S. so we purchased some food and drink and ate our breakfasts and lunches in our condo. We went out to dinner each night and it was moderate to expensive. We did have 2 tiny rental cars. (The compact cars are different in the U.S. too! ) We loved the pool, beach and the ocean is gorgeous, blue and clear!! We also enjoyed the Hobie cat, kayaks, paddle boards and the fitness center. The divers thought the dives were the best and they saw sharks almost everyday! Negatives were the bugs, not sure if fleas, no see ums or mosquitos but some of us got eaten up! Take insect repellant and wear at night when you go out to dinner. We were extremely depressed by all the stray dogs that run in packs with no food, water, shelter or love. We saw two dead dogs along the roadsides. This country needs help with the dog and cat population. They have organizations called Potcakes and ASPCA but they obviously can not handle all the strays! Please donate if you can. Despite these negatives we loved it and would go back,

Room Tip: ask for a room with view of pool and ocean
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Pmain,

Thank you for your review and feedback. We are delighted to know how much you enjoyed your room, the resort, facilities and the “gorgeous” beach and pools. And, as you mention, yes the diving is truly spectacular in TCI. At times you will find Diving Specials with our Tour Operator Ocean Vibes by visiting their website at http://www.oceanvibes.com.

Regarding your comments about the dogs and cat population, we shared them with the Animal Welfare Committee and Department of Agriculture. On behalf of the Animal Welfare Committee, on October 27th they are expecting 16 members from "Pets Without Vets" to arrive for a one week spay/neuter program. They volunteer these initiatives worldwide and participate in a spay/neuter program along with ongoing educational side for responsible pet ownership.

As far as stray and feral dogs are concerned, AWC operates 5 nights a week in varied areas on island. This will continue until such time as the majority of the stray animals are under control. Unfortunately the process is long one but, the Department of Agriculture along with the Animal Welfare Committee is hard at work every day and dedicated towards rectifying the feral dog problem as a priority for our entire country.

Again, thank you for your comments, it provides us an opportunity for continuously improvement. We look forward to seeing you return to the Sands in the future.

Bangor, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Sands is very clean and grounds cared for
We had requested building 3 or 4 ocean view ,on our initial reservation more than a month before and again few weeks before arrival - unfortunate they on arrival only had a ocean view room in building 1
Needed binoculars to see the ocean. Unfortunately we will not return here

Staff was accommodating but not particularly upbeat
The fire alarm went off in building 2 evenings out of our 4 - no explanation given

Room Tip: If paying for ocean view - check view before checking in
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager003_13, Guest Relations Manager at Sands at Grace Bay, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Dear Camilla R,

Thank you for your recent review of your stay at The Sands.

We are sorry that you were unable to get the building you requested, we hope you understand specific building, room, or floor are based on availability at that given time and that we may not always able to meet every request since our rooms are sold in components of 1, 2 and 3 bedrooms. We will however, always try our very best to meet requests as best as we possibly can so that you may have an enjoyable stay.

We want to also apologize for the fire alarm going off two times in your building, and had that corrected.

Again thank you for your comments, we appreciate them as it gives us the opportunity to improve our product and services.

Sincerely yours,

Adrian Archer
Duty Manager
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

My best friend and I stayed here for a week and loved it! We stayed in a 2BR suite, complete with a kitchen, living room, and balcony. The service was incredible and the people were super friendly. They have a restaurant called Hemingways on site, which made getting breakfast, lunch and dinner very easy. The front desk team was incredible the entire time we were there. The jacuzzi was excellent! The fact that its located at one of the most beautiful beaches in the world is reason enough to stay here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
GeneralManager003_13, General Manager at Sands at Grace Bay, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear Jahkeim C,

Thank you for your review and your kind words about our resort, facilities and staff. We are delighted to know how much you and your best friend enjoyed your stay and appreciate the time you took to let us know.

You paid a wonderful compliment to the Front Desk Team, they very much appreciate receiving your considerate feedback about the service they work hard to provide. We will certainly share your comments with our entire team.

We look forward to welcoming you back at The Sands in near the future.

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

We just arrived back last night (9/22/2013) from our 5 day stay at the Sands. When we arrived expectations were met, as the resort was exactly as displayed on the website. We were upgraded to a 1 BR garden view room free of charge. All staff at the resort were welcoming and very nicely manner. Most of them would go out of their way to speak to you and to make sure you were okay. The condo was very clean and updated, no complaints about the room at all. Felt like our second home. Hemingways was great but it came at a price. Look to spend some money if you plan on eating out every day/night. I recommend going to the local grocery store to grab some things so you don't have to spend as much on food. Tip: Some of the items at the market are 3 times as much compared to our prices in the states. Beach was very nice and relaxing. This was a nice relaxing vacation. Don't forget your bug spray, the mosquitoes will bite you up. We really don't have any bad things to say about this resort. This vacation met our expectations, we would return to the Sands if we decide to re-visit T&C in the future.

Some tips that may help future travelers:
*Cab fare from airport was $14/person in September 2013
*Don't forget your bug spray
*Bring your alcohol before you arrive at T&C. Prices are super high once you are there.
*The gourmet market (grocery store) is less than a 10 minute bike ride from the resort.
*The pizza place will deliver to your room.

Great job to the staff at The Sands, they really made the vacation enjoyable!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager003_13, General Manager at Sands at Grace Bay, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear 08KWL,

We are delighted to read that you had an enjoyable vacation with all the comforts of your home away from home.

Thank you for your comments and tips, we were happy to have met your needs and expectations. You certainly paid our staff the ultimate compliment and they very much appreciate receiving your kind feedback about the services they work hard to provide day in and day out.

We hope to see you again in the near future and again, thank you for sharing your feedback.

Regards,
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We were last here ten years ago and it looks exactly the same. That's a compliment because it looks brand new. Outer buildings look freshly painted. Interior gardens freshly groomed. The rooms are clean, nicely furnished, no wear and tear on upholsteries. Kitchen had all the cutlery and glassware you could need. What's better than ten years ago is Hemingway's. We ate every meal there for 10 days. Menu selections were fantastic and the specials were special. Portions for all meals are large. Waitstaff was wonderful and friendly and knew our names the second day. Prices were very reasonable for the Carribean. Beach is as lovely as before. Won't wait another 10 years to be back.

Room Tip: Third Floor Ocean View best breeze
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
GeneralManager003_13, General Manager at Sands at Grace Bay, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Michael Q.,

Thank you for your recent feedback on your stay with us at The Sands. We appreciate the time you took to let us know of your stay and that you found the resort, staff and facilities excellent.

It was so nice to learn that even after your return from 10 years ago, you still found our resort to be the ideal location for your vacation and an excellent value.

We can’t wait to welcome you back in the near future.

Mona Beeson

Been to Sands at Grace Bay? Share your experiences!