“Greatest Carribean Value???” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Greatest Carribean Value???”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We were last here ten years ago and it looks exactly the same. That's a compliment because it looks brand new. Outer buildings look freshly painted. Interior gardens freshly groomed. The rooms are clean, nicely furnished, no wear and tear on upholsteries. Kitchen had all the cutlery and glassware you could need. What's better than ten years ago is Hemingway's. We ate every meal there for 10 days. Menu selections were fantastic and the specials were special. Portions for all meals are large. Waitstaff was wonderful and friendly and knew our names the second day. Prices were very reasonable for the Carribean. Beach is as lovely as before. Won't wait another 10 years to be back.

Room Tip: Third Floor Ocean View best breeze
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
GeneralManager003_13, General Manager at Sands at Grace Bay, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Michael Q.,

Thank you for your recent feedback on your stay with us at The Sands. We appreciate the time you took to let us know of your stay and that you found the resort, staff and facilities excellent.

It was so nice to learn that even after your return from 10 years ago, you still found our resort to be the ideal location for your vacation and an excellent value.

We can’t wait to welcome you back in the near future.

Mona Beeson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

You really don't have to leave the hotel if you don't want to! There are sail boats, kayaks, bikes etc etc available for guests to use for free so there is plenty to keep you entertained. But that is the case with every hotel along the beach at Grace Bay. There are plenty of other hotels and the Sands was fine - some of the other hotels did look a bit more modern so if it is up-scale that you want do some more research as I don't think this hotel with satisfy your needs.

Having said that, we loved it here! The apartment felt like home and was very spacious, very clean and the private patio area was wonderful. The kitchen was well equipped, in fact it was better equipped than our kitchen at home! Large fridge, large oven, lots and lots of pantry space.

The food in the restaurant was reasonably priced and the Thursday night BBQ at the pool (complimentary for hotel guests courtesy of hotel management) was undeniably awesome. A great way to taste the local cuisine and enjoy some rum punch with other guests :)

Getting to town is no problem - you can walk (about 10 - 15 minutes), cycle, or get a taxi - and is worth heading to town on your first day to stock up on supplies for your stay.

The highlight of this hotel is definitely the beach and the ability to explore the beauty surrounding the Grace Bay area.

Room Tip: If you can get a room facing the ocean, do it!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager003_13, General Manager at Sands at Grace Bay, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear MelodyLS,

Thank you for your review. We are so happy to know how much you “love it here” and that your room felt like your home. That is exactly what we work so hard to achieve to ensure you have all the comforts of home to have a great stay.

Although we are not the newest hotel in Grace Bay, we have all the services and amenities to offer along with the charm of a classic Caribbean resort. Also, we are glad to know you enjoyed the manager cocktail reception, though for readers reviewing your comments, this is not a BBQ on Thursday’s. Rather our manager cocktail party is usually held on Tuesday’s weather permitting. It may be rescheduled in the week pending weather conditions. Snacks such as chips, salsa, cheese and crackers, crudité and conch fritters are also served.

Again, thank you for your wonderful comments. We very much appreciate your feedback as it certainly helps us praise our staff and provides us opportunities to constantly improve our product and services.

We look forward to welcoming you back at The Sands in near the future.

Mona Beeson
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We booked a weekend away here during the 'off season' and we couldn't have been happier with our stay. The grounds were beautiful, with direct access to the beach. There are two lovely pools for when you want to take a break from the salt water. In addition to the wonderful space, the hotel provides a lot of complimentary amenities on the beach, including Hobie Cats, kayaks, and paddle boards. We particularly loved being able to take out the Hobie Cats every day. The bar/restaurant, Hemingways, is very good and by far the best restaurant view of those that we visited - a perfect place to take in a sunset. Overall, though, we had such a blast relaxing at the Sands. We visited a few other resorts for dinner and snorkeling, but they didn't compare to the Sands. We definitely plan to return for another visit!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager003_13, Guest Relations Manager at Sands at Grace Bay, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear Bakenberger,

Thank you for your recent feedback regarding your stay at The Sands at Grace Bay. We appreciate the time you took to let us know of your experiences and that overall your stay was an excellent one.

We were delighted to see that you found the grounds beautiful and easily accessible to the beach and that you also enjoyed the pools and complimentary beach equipment.

Indeed Hemingway’s is “very good” and perfect to catch our amazing sunsets.

Again, thank you Bakenberger for taking the time to write to us. We all look forward to your return very soon.

Warmest regards,

Adrian Archer
Duty Manager
Rancho Cucamonga, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We purchased our room through Costco last minute for a steal. Getting to the hotel was easy, cab ride for $28 (for two) was quick. Check in was very easy, it seemed like we were the only ones there! Apparently we chose to vacation during the least busy part of the slow season. In fact, many resorts (including the expansive Beaches Resort) were closed altogether. We entered our room, it was beautiful. The first thing I did, of course, was head to the windows. It was dark out but I could tell there was no ocean in front of me. Sadly, our ocean view room was a garden view. No worries though, it was a quick fix. They moved us into a different room with an AMAZING view. Love the kitchen, w/d, and screened in porch. Would have liked to have a softer bed, but it was ok. The grounds were amazing, well taken care of and CLEAN. I used the spa for a deep tissue massage, it was also perfect. And they got me right in since it was so empty! Our favorite staff member was Berchtold, who took us sailing out on the Hobie Cat and worked tirelessly trying to help my boyfriend wind surf. We loved our little piece of paradise.

The one observation that we were confused about was that some of the staff seemed indifferent. Not rude, just kind of blase. I think more smiling would help, a wide smile and a friendly "hello how are ya" goes a long way! I think it's the island culture though, as we found the general attitude the same at other places on the island as well. Not rude, per say. Maybe tired? I don't know how to explain it.

Anyway The Sands is a beautiful small resort. Oh! We got caught in a rain storm downtown and one of the staff recognized us and gave us a ride in her personal vehicle! THAT is above and beyond service for sure! I wish I knew her name to give her proper recognition!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager003_13, Front Office Manager at Sands at Grace Bay, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Dear beangirl40,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us. Your kind words about our resort, staff and services will be shared with our entire team.

You paid a very high compliment to Berthold and the staff member who gave you a ride, indeed our staff works very hard to provide quality services. We are delighted that you loved your room, the grounds, and are glad you found everything enjoyable. We strive to provide exceptional customer service and always want to go above and beyond to ensure your stay is a memorable one.

With regard to the culture of TCI, you will typically find warm and caring people and even at times a slight shyness. Tourism is very much ingrained, part of our growing economy and vital to all our success. We appreciate your comments as it gives us an opportunity to either praise our staff or work on our shortcomings.

Again thank you for your feedback.

With warm tropical regards.

Barbara Rigby
Front Office Manager
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Our family recently spent an INCREDIBLE week at The Sands (plus a few nights at West Bay Club)! It was my husband & my 4th visit to TCI, & our 2nd stay at The Sands (our last being in 2006). We love this resort! It felt like we were coming HOME when we returned! This was our first trip with our 4 y/o son & he loved every minute of it.

ROOM: We stayed in a 1-bedroom ocean view. (I booked our room through Travelocity, & got a great price for our 7-night stay - $2080 with taxes). Usually, I do not splurge for ocean view, my reasoning being that we will be spending most of our time on the beach & not in our room. However, considering we were bringing our young son this time, we figured we would be in the room more than usual. I am SO glad we got the ocean view; it was worth every penny! We spent A LOT of time on our screened-in balcony, eating meals & playing games/cards at the table there, hanging out in the comfy chaises (I even slept out there one night!), & enjoying the gorgeous view of the pool, grounds, & ocean. I had emailed The Sands ahead of time, to request a room in building 4 or 3 (those closest to the ocean). They accommodated my request & gave us Room 4303 (building 4, top floor. I could not have asked for a better room, view or location. Close to the beach, Hemingway’s, & parking spaces where we parked our rental car). Our room was spacious, clean & exceeded our expectations. We had a nice living room (w/pull-out queen-sized sofa, flat screen tv in the armoire that also held a variety of paperback books for guests to enjoy – nice touch), dining table (which we never used, as we sat on the balcony all the time), desk (my son loved to color pictures for the housekeeper here), & nice kitchen, with breakfast bar, full-size refrigerator & granite countertops. The kitchen was stocked w/all the amenities needed to make meals in the suite (glasses, utensils, pots & pans, coffee service, paper towels, dish soap, dishwasher, etc). We made at least 2 meals a day in our room (breakfast & either lunch or dinner), which was a great money-saver. We also really enjoyed hanging out on that balcony, like I said. It rivaled any restaurant on the island for ambiance & view! The washer & dryer in the room is an essential for us; they also give you laundry soap.
The one thing that could have been better about our room was the mattress in the bedroom. It was not very comfortable, & “squeaked” every time one of us rolled over. While not horrible, we definitely noticed a huge difference in bed quality when we went to West Bay Club.

PROPERTY AT THE SANDS: The Sands’ property, landscaping & grounds are gorgeous & very well-maintained! Two pools (one big one near the ocean, with a little kiddie-sized pool attached; & a meandering pool in the middle of the property – our son called this the “Swirly Whirly Pool,” & he loved going in it as the “meandering” parts are only 2 1/2 feet deep, a perfect depth for him!). He also loved the Hammock/Coconut Grove: they have hammocks set up in a dense coconut grove – the perfect place to find a quiet place to relax & read a book! At night, the property looks magical, especially the area near Hemingway’s, as there are lit torches & palm trees with rope lights wound around the bases. My husband & I often spent our evenings sitting on the lounge chairs between the pool & ocean, sipping wine & looking at the stars (& on some nights, listening to live music at Hemingway’s), as our son played in the kiddie pool. So perfect! We always felt safe on the property & saw the night security guard making his rounds in the evening, as we sat near the pool. We had the pleasure of talking to him & learning about his journey from Haiti to TCI. Very nice gentleman!

STAFF / SERVICE: We found the staff & service at The Sands to be outstanding! I cannot say enough good things about the staff here. Not that it was bad when we stayed at The Sands before (otherwise we would not have stayed here again), but we did notice a difference in the friendliness of the staff, & the promptness in resolving any issues this time. The first thing I noticed was that, any time I told the staff that it was our 4th visit to TCI & our 2nd to The Sands, they said “Welcome Home!” And I truly felt like I was “coming home!” ALL of the staff were very friendly. Always ready to say hello & greet you with a smile. On our first night there, we went to the front desk to let them know that we needed some shampoo & the toilet handle was not working properly. They sent someone to our room almost as soon as we walked back to it, to bring shampoo, then someone else a few minutes later to fix the toilet handle. I was extremely impressed with how quickly they took care of this! Great customer service!
The groundskeepers were also very nice to us & my son, talking to him & explaining how the sprinklers worked (he is obsessed with things like that!); I felt like they went above & beyond, & that means a lot when comparing resorts & places to stay!
The housekeeper for our room was OUTSTANDING! Aside from cleaning our room perfectly, she neatly (& cutely!) arranged my son’s stuffed animals on the pillows of our bed when she made it, & arranged his little picture books on the nightstand. These were little touches that went above & beyond what was expected. Our son loved that, & we did too! He loved drawing her pictures & she was very engaging with him when we saw her. That is exceptional service!
The Sands has a Manager’s Party on Tuesdays at 5pm. It is set up by the large pool & they have complimentary beer, rum punch, & snacks (chips & salsa, veggies & dip, cheese & crackers). It’s a great time to relax & talk to other guests!

BEACH: We LOVE the beachfront at The Sands! It is the prime location on Grace Bay, in my opinion! You can pick up your beach towels at the hut right by the beach entrance. There are palapas lined up with chairs underneath, or one of the beach attendants can place an umbrella in the sand closer to the shoreline for you. You can use the free beach sports equipment offered (we went out on the Hobie w/one of the beach attendants one day, & used the sea kayaks). The Sands is within easy beach-walking distance to lots of other resorts, so you take a nice walk along the beach to one of the other restaurants. Snorkeling is okay in front of the resort (I did see a couple sting rays, conch, flounder, lots of little fish, & I got a sand dollar); for really good snorkeling, head to Coral Gardens or Smiths Reef or Pelican Beach in Leeward.

EATS: Hemingway’s is excellent! (see my separate review for them under restaurants). Great menu, ambiance, & service! *Tip: they serve their (cheaper!) lunch menu until 6pm (as do a lot of restaurants at the resorts), so we went there twice for an early dinner & were able to order off of that. We also like the lunch menu selection a lot!

OUT & ABOUT: We rented a car for about 1/2 of our stay. While not necessary, we love parts of the island that are only accessible by car (Taylor Bay, Pelican Beach at Leeward, plus several restaurants in the Turtle Cove area – Sharkbite & Tiki Hut). We rented from Grace Bay Car Rentals (Toyota Corolla) for about $50/day. It was handy to stock up on groceries, too – we went to the IGA on Leeward Highway as well as the Graceway Gourmet off of Grace Bay Road. And we love to go to the shops in Ports of Call, Regent Village, & Salt Mills.

I can’t imagine a more perfect stay at The Sands! We loved everything about it & made some incredible memories. We can’t wait to return “home”!!

Room Tip: Buildings 3 & 4 are closest to the ocean!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

This hotel was not what we expected for the following reasons. There was no place to hang up wet swim suits. The rooms were dark so that it was uncomfortable reading in bed or on the sofa. The bedroom had one heavy curtain and when opened, there was no protection (a slighter curtain or screen) so(we were on the first floor) passer-bys could look right in. The bed was a double bed and although I did not think to enquire about this, we have not slept in a double bed for years and it was uncomfortable. In fact, my partner fell out of bed one night. The one breakfast we had at the hotel was a C- , as was the one dinner. They do not use spices, herbs, flavoring so food is bland, The conk fritters, however, were delicious. And, shockingly, the concierge was not helpful. When asked, "Are there restaurants on the street?" The answer was "Yes." She had no recommendations or advice. The hotel arranged a snorkel trip where we were gone 8:30 to one o'clock that included only 1/2 hour on the reef! We were on a little island for one hour and spent 1/2 hour at a site looking for conch shells "for our lunch." Our hot tips: (1 At the Coral Gardens Hotel on Grace Bay there is a preservation large area you can snorkel around (if you bring your own equipment) for free. You can tip the beach staff and obtain chairs and an umbrella. (2) The breakfast at the Alexandria, sitting on their deck looking over the water, was wonderful. As was their dinner with about ten tables set up right on the beach with no extra charge. The Sands charges $50 for this service. (3) Our kayak trip with EcoBLue was A+. The best part: The weather was A+. The water temperature was A+.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the first floor
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager003_13, Guest Relations Manager at Sands at Grace Bay, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay at The Sands at Grace Bay resort. We appreciated the time you took to share your comments and are happy to note there were many positive aspects about your stay in Providenciales. We were however, sorry to learn that our concierge did not deliver the expected service level. We will address your concerns with them and work to improve our customer service delivery. Since we are not sure which tour operator was booked for your snorkel trip if you have time to let us know we would certainly share your feedback with them.

Please note, all our room types are only equipped with king ‘or’ queen size bed, we do not offer or have double beds at all in our hotel. For future reference, do let our front desk staff know if you are experiencing any problems so we can do everything possible to make it a more enjoyable stay.

We were glad you enjoyed Hemingway’s conch fritters - they are award winning - and made with a number of spices. Though we usually receive many positive comments about our food quality, rest assured our chef indeed does use spices to heighten the flavors of our menu offerings as noted above in the conch fritters. We have shared your comment with them to follow-up on.

Your feedback helps us to continuously improve our product and services and how we cater to our guests, so thank you for taking the time to share them with us.

Adrian Archer
Duty Manager
Midwest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We stayed for 12 nights in early July (booked through Costco Travel). We had a one bedroom garden suite and it was plenty roomy enough for us and our two children (although they did have to sleep on a sofa bed). Housekeeping is wonderful (especially Marjorie) and the beach staff were fantastic as well (Kenold made sure our chairs, umbrellas, and floatees were out by 7 am each day). The beach was not overcrowded (like the beach area at Beaches) and the pools were a perfect reprieve from the beach. This is not a high-end resort, but it is very nice and very clean. As someone else mentioned, be careful when using the house phone. The charges, while not astronomical, do add up (I think it is $0.90/minute). Also note that when vacationing in TCI, everything is very expensive (for example, a case of beer is $75 and a small birthday cake is $52). Lots of small establishments only take cash and very few establishments take American Express (although the IGA does). Definitely rent a car; you really can't appreciate the island without one. Get out of the resort area and try some of the local spots in Chalk Bay or Blue Hills. It's a beautiful place and the Sands at Grace Bay is a great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Sands at Grace Bay? Share your experiences!