“Wonderful Weekend Getaway” 5 of 5 stars

4th night free
Ranked #25 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
“Wonderful Weekend Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We booked a weekend away here during the 'off season' and we couldn't have been happier with our stay. The grounds were beautiful, with direct access to the beach. There are two lovely pools for when you want to take a break from the salt water. In addition to the wonderful space, the hotel provides a lot of complimentary amenities on the beach, including Hobie Cats, kayaks, and paddle boards. We particularly loved being able to take out the Hobie Cats every day. The bar/restaurant, Hemingways, is very good and by far the best restaurant view of those that we visited - a perfect place to take in a sunset. Overall, though, we had such a blast relaxing at the Sands. We visited a few other resorts for dinner and snorkeling, but they didn't compare to the Sands. We definitely plan to return for another visit!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager003_13, Guest Relations Manager at Sands at Grace Bay, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear Bakenberger,

Thank you for your recent feedback regarding your stay at The Sands at Grace Bay. We appreciate the time you took to let us know of your experiences and that overall your stay was an excellent one.

We were delighted to see that you found the grounds beautiful and easily accessible to the beach and that you also enjoyed the pools and complimentary beach equipment.

Indeed Hemingway’s is “very good” and perfect to catch our amazing sunsets.

Again, thank you Bakenberger for taking the time to write to us. We all look forward to your return very soon.

Warmest regards,

Adrian Archer
Duty Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
Rancho Cucamonga, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We purchased our room through Costco last minute for a steal. Getting to the hotel was easy, cab ride for $28 (for two) was quick. Check in was very easy, it seemed like we were the only ones there! Apparently we chose to vacation during the least busy part of the slow season. In fact, many resorts (including the expansive Beaches Resort) were closed altogether. We entered our room, it was beautiful. The first thing I did, of course, was head to the windows. It was dark out but I could tell there was no ocean in front of me. Sadly, our ocean view room was a garden view. No worries though, it was a quick fix. They moved us into a different room with an AMAZING view. Love the kitchen, w/d, and screened in porch. Would have liked to have a softer bed, but it was ok. The grounds were amazing, well taken care of and CLEAN. I used the spa for a deep tissue massage, it was also perfect. And they got me right in since it was so empty! Our favorite staff member was Berchtold, who took us sailing out on the Hobie Cat and worked tirelessly trying to help my boyfriend wind surf. We loved our little piece of paradise.

The one observation that we were confused about was that some of the staff seemed indifferent. Not rude, just kind of blase. I think more smiling would help, a wide smile and a friendly "hello how are ya" goes a long way! I think it's the island culture though, as we found the general attitude the same at other places on the island as well. Not rude, per say. Maybe tired? I don't know how to explain it.

Anyway The Sands is a beautiful small resort. Oh! We got caught in a rain storm downtown and one of the staff recognized us and gave us a ride in her personal vehicle! THAT is above and beyond service for sure! I wish I knew her name to give her proper recognition!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager003_13, Front Office Manager at Sands at Grace Bay, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Dear beangirl40,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us. Your kind words about our resort, staff and services will be shared with our entire team.

You paid a very high compliment to Berthold and the staff member who gave you a ride, indeed our staff works very hard to provide quality services. We are delighted that you loved your room, the grounds, and are glad you found everything enjoyable. We strive to provide exceptional customer service and always want to go above and beyond to ensure your stay is a memorable one.

With regard to the culture of TCI, you will typically find warm and caring people and even at times a slight shyness. Tourism is very much ingrained, part of our growing economy and vital to all our success. We appreciate your comments as it gives us an opportunity to either praise our staff or work on our shortcomings.

Again thank you for your feedback.

With warm tropical regards.

Barbara Rigby
Front Office Manager
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Our family recently spent an INCREDIBLE week at The Sands (plus a few nights at West Bay Club)! It was my husband & my 4th visit to TCI, & our 2nd stay at The Sands (our last being in 2006). We love this resort! It felt like we were coming HOME when we returned! This was our first trip with our 4 y/o son & he loved every minute of it.

ROOM: We stayed in a 1-bedroom ocean view. (I booked our room through Travelocity, & got a great price for our 7-night stay - $2080 with taxes). Usually, I do not splurge for ocean view, my reasoning being that we will be spending most of our time on the beach & not in our room. However, considering we were bringing our young son this time, we figured we would be in the room more than usual. I am SO glad we got the ocean view; it was worth every penny! We spent A LOT of time on our screened-in balcony, eating meals & playing games/cards at the table there, hanging out in the comfy chaises (I even slept out there one night!), & enjoying the gorgeous view of the pool, grounds, & ocean. I had emailed The Sands ahead of time, to request a room in building 4 or 3 (those closest to the ocean). They accommodated my request & gave us Room 4303 (building 4, top floor. I could not have asked for a better room, view or location. Close to the beach, Hemingway’s, & parking spaces where we parked our rental car). Our room was spacious, clean & exceeded our expectations. We had a nice living room (w/pull-out queen-sized sofa, flat screen tv in the armoire that also held a variety of paperback books for guests to enjoy – nice touch), dining table (which we never used, as we sat on the balcony all the time), desk (my son loved to color pictures for the housekeeper here), & nice kitchen, with breakfast bar, full-size refrigerator & granite countertops. The kitchen was stocked w/all the amenities needed to make meals in the suite (glasses, utensils, pots & pans, coffee service, paper towels, dish soap, dishwasher, etc). We made at least 2 meals a day in our room (breakfast & either lunch or dinner), which was a great money-saver. We also really enjoyed hanging out on that balcony, like I said. It rivaled any restaurant on the island for ambiance & view! The washer & dryer in the room is an essential for us; they also give you laundry soap.
The one thing that could have been better about our room was the mattress in the bedroom. It was not very comfortable, & “squeaked” every time one of us rolled over. While not horrible, we definitely noticed a huge difference in bed quality when we went to West Bay Club.

PROPERTY AT THE SANDS: The Sands’ property, landscaping & grounds are gorgeous & very well-maintained! Two pools (one big one near the ocean, with a little kiddie-sized pool attached; & a meandering pool in the middle of the property – our son called this the “Swirly Whirly Pool,” & he loved going in it as the “meandering” parts are only 2 1/2 feet deep, a perfect depth for him!). He also loved the Hammock/Coconut Grove: they have hammocks set up in a dense coconut grove – the perfect place to find a quiet place to relax & read a book! At night, the property looks magical, especially the area near Hemingway’s, as there are lit torches & palm trees with rope lights wound around the bases. My husband & I often spent our evenings sitting on the lounge chairs between the pool & ocean, sipping wine & looking at the stars (& on some nights, listening to live music at Hemingway’s), as our son played in the kiddie pool. So perfect! We always felt safe on the property & saw the night security guard making his rounds in the evening, as we sat near the pool. We had the pleasure of talking to him & learning about his journey from Haiti to TCI. Very nice gentleman!

STAFF / SERVICE: We found the staff & service at The Sands to be outstanding! I cannot say enough good things about the staff here. Not that it was bad when we stayed at The Sands before (otherwise we would not have stayed here again), but we did notice a difference in the friendliness of the staff, & the promptness in resolving any issues this time. The first thing I noticed was that, any time I told the staff that it was our 4th visit to TCI & our 2nd to The Sands, they said “Welcome Home!” And I truly felt like I was “coming home!” ALL of the staff were very friendly. Always ready to say hello & greet you with a smile. On our first night there, we went to the front desk to let them know that we needed some shampoo & the toilet handle was not working properly. They sent someone to our room almost as soon as we walked back to it, to bring shampoo, then someone else a few minutes later to fix the toilet handle. I was extremely impressed with how quickly they took care of this! Great customer service!
The groundskeepers were also very nice to us & my son, talking to him & explaining how the sprinklers worked (he is obsessed with things like that!); I felt like they went above & beyond, & that means a lot when comparing resorts & places to stay!
The housekeeper for our room was OUTSTANDING! Aside from cleaning our room perfectly, she neatly (& cutely!) arranged my son’s stuffed animals on the pillows of our bed when she made it, & arranged his little picture books on the nightstand. These were little touches that went above & beyond what was expected. Our son loved that, & we did too! He loved drawing her pictures & she was very engaging with him when we saw her. That is exceptional service!
The Sands has a Manager’s Party on Tuesdays at 5pm. It is set up by the large pool & they have complimentary beer, rum punch, & snacks (chips & salsa, veggies & dip, cheese & crackers). It’s a great time to relax & talk to other guests!

BEACH: We LOVE the beachfront at The Sands! It is the prime location on Grace Bay, in my opinion! You can pick up your beach towels at the hut right by the beach entrance. There are palapas lined up with chairs underneath, or one of the beach attendants can place an umbrella in the sand closer to the shoreline for you. You can use the free beach sports equipment offered (we went out on the Hobie w/one of the beach attendants one day, & used the sea kayaks). The Sands is within easy beach-walking distance to lots of other resorts, so you take a nice walk along the beach to one of the other restaurants. Snorkeling is okay in front of the resort (I did see a couple sting rays, conch, flounder, lots of little fish, & I got a sand dollar); for really good snorkeling, head to Coral Gardens or Smiths Reef or Pelican Beach in Leeward.

EATS: Hemingway’s is excellent! (see my separate review for them under restaurants). Great menu, ambiance, & service! *Tip: they serve their (cheaper!) lunch menu until 6pm (as do a lot of restaurants at the resorts), so we went there twice for an early dinner & were able to order off of that. We also like the lunch menu selection a lot!

OUT & ABOUT: We rented a car for about 1/2 of our stay. While not necessary, we love parts of the island that are only accessible by car (Taylor Bay, Pelican Beach at Leeward, plus several restaurants in the Turtle Cove area – Sharkbite & Tiki Hut). We rented from Grace Bay Car Rentals (Toyota Corolla) for about $50/day. It was handy to stock up on groceries, too – we went to the IGA on Leeward Highway as well as the Graceway Gourmet off of Grace Bay Road. And we love to go to the shops in Ports of Call, Regent Village, & Salt Mills.

I can’t imagine a more perfect stay at The Sands! We loved everything about it & made some incredible memories. We can’t wait to return “home”!!

Room Tip: Buildings 3 & 4 are closest to the ocean!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

This hotel was not what we expected for the following reasons. There was no place to hang up wet swim suits. The rooms were dark so that it was uncomfortable reading in bed or on the sofa. The bedroom had one heavy curtain and when opened, there was no protection (a slighter curtain or screen) so(we were on the first floor) passer-bys could look right in. The bed was a double bed and although I did not think to enquire about this, we have not slept in a double bed for years and it was uncomfortable. In fact, my partner fell out of bed one night. The one breakfast we had at the hotel was a C- , as was the one dinner. They do not use spices, herbs, flavoring so food is bland, The conk fritters, however, were delicious. And, shockingly, the concierge was not helpful. When asked, "Are there restaurants on the street?" The answer was "Yes." She had no recommendations or advice. The hotel arranged a snorkel trip where we were gone 8:30 to one o'clock that included only 1/2 hour on the reef! We were on a little island for one hour and spent 1/2 hour at a site looking for conch shells "for our lunch." Our hot tips: (1 At the Coral Gardens Hotel on Grace Bay there is a preservation large area you can snorkel around (if you bring your own equipment) for free. You can tip the beach staff and obtain chairs and an umbrella. (2) The breakfast at the Alexandria, sitting on their deck looking over the water, was wonderful. As was their dinner with about ten tables set up right on the beach with no extra charge. The Sands charges $50 for this service. (3) Our kayak trip with EcoBLue was A+. The best part: The weather was A+. The water temperature was A+.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the first floor
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager003_13, Guest Relations Manager at Sands at Grace Bay, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay at The Sands at Grace Bay resort. We appreciated the time you took to share your comments and are happy to note there were many positive aspects about your stay in Providenciales. We were however, sorry to learn that our concierge did not deliver the expected service level. We will address your concerns with them and work to improve our customer service delivery. Since we are not sure which tour operator was booked for your snorkel trip if you have time to let us know we would certainly share your feedback with them.

Please note, all our room types are only equipped with king ‘or’ queen size bed, we do not offer or have double beds at all in our hotel. For future reference, do let our front desk staff know if you are experiencing any problems so we can do everything possible to make it a more enjoyable stay.

We were glad you enjoyed Hemingway’s conch fritters - they are award winning - and made with a number of spices. Though we usually receive many positive comments about our food quality, rest assured our chef indeed does use spices to heighten the flavors of our menu offerings as noted above in the conch fritters. We have shared your comment with them to follow-up on.

Your feedback helps us to continuously improve our product and services and how we cater to our guests, so thank you for taking the time to share them with us.

Adrian Archer
Duty Manager
Midwest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We stayed for 12 nights in early July (booked through Costco Travel). We had a one bedroom garden suite and it was plenty roomy enough for us and our two children (although they did have to sleep on a sofa bed). Housekeeping is wonderful (especially Marjorie) and the beach staff were fantastic as well (Kenold made sure our chairs, umbrellas, and floatees were out by 7 am each day). The beach was not overcrowded (like the beach area at Beaches) and the pools were a perfect reprieve from the beach. This is not a high-end resort, but it is very nice and very clean. As someone else mentioned, be careful when using the house phone. The charges, while not astronomical, do add up (I think it is $0.90/minute). Also note that when vacationing in TCI, everything is very expensive (for example, a case of beer is $75 and a small birthday cake is $52). Lots of small establishments only take cash and very few establishments take American Express (although the IGA does). Definitely rent a car; you really can't appreciate the island without one. Get out of the resort area and try some of the local spots in Chalk Bay or Blue Hills. It's a beautiful place and the Sands at Grace Bay is a great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Columbia City, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

This was the most amazing vacation ever!! As soon as you step on the grounds reality slips away and you enter a tropical fantasy that was on your screen saver. THE BEACH: it is unbelievable! It is gorgeous, clean, and safe! I spent multiple hours under a tiki hut, with my feet in the white powder sand. I was mesmerized by the azure, turquoise, aqua water. Did you know that there are turquoise clouds? There are here! I didn't read once... I just relaxed and looked at the water or I was in the water. You have never seen water clarity like this anywhere else... You could see a fish approach you from a 100 m. I saw sting rays, trumpet fish and Jo Jo (famous dolphin) all along that beach. The water has a gentle wave. The cabana guys are super nice. Delroy and Eddy gave me sailing lessons ( which is complimentary) and it was so fun! They have all kinds of complimentary toys for the guests ( kayaks, paddle boards, hobies, and rafts). Diving: my husband went on three 2 tank dives and said it was the best in the carribean. THE POOL: absolutely beautiful. The grounds are gorgeous and so well kept. The floral are beautiful and found around the pool. The pool has several water falls. Never once did we have to fight for a chair by the pool or beach. The area is so quiet and peaceful. The sand is so soft and easy to walk on too. THE ROOM: was beautiful and comfortable! The screened in porch is so nice for the evening. We had a 1 bedroom with a kitchenette and washer and dryer. Every thing was updated, kept nice and ran well. The cleaning staff was excellent. Elisha was awesome! Our view was beautiful and it was quiet and peaceful! THE SERVICE: amazing!! These people beat out Disney! And I'm a huge Disney fan. They were all friendly!! Every one of them from the bell man Inel and Adias, night manager Leonard Higgs, to the cabana guys John, Delroy, and Eddy, and Hemingways... Korna, Erica, and Maria. John is excellent for setting staff up on tours. He works for ocean vibes, but if his company doesn't have a tour going on he will call other tours until he finds what you want. He went way out of his way to set us up on a sunset cruise. All staff are friendly, helpful, and focused on servicing you! HEMINGWAYS: consistently delicious no matter what meal you are having. The food is awesome. However... You must have the key lime pie. It is the best ever! Also Erica makes the best pina colada in the Caribbean and Korna makes the best rum punch and Long Island ice tea. Also, the hotel provides music a couple nights a week and a managers party with drinks and food. Very nice! THE GYM: it worked for me. I worked out there everyday for 90 min and the equipment was functional and clean. AMAZING STAFF: Leonard Higgs is probably the nicest hotel manager we have ever met. He never forgot our names nor our room number. He always greeted us when we walked into the lobby. He asked us every day how our stay was. He loaned us an umbrella and a bottle opener. He was so friendly and fun to chat with! Thank you for our room upgrade for our anniversary! If you are looking for the most beautiful water, the best hotel, the nicest people, relaxing vacation, perfect quiet location on grace bay, with great food... The sands is perfect! We will go nowhere else. We loved it here and never wanted to come home. We still don't want to be home. We wanted to thank everyone for an amazing trip and the outstanding service. We will think about you all and keep you in our thoughts and prayers! God Bless you all!! The Lemmons. ps John we are expecting you to take us sailing next year for our fifth anniversary!

Room Tip: All the rooms are good, but if you can afford the oceanfront, by all means its the best!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I cant say enough how much i love this place. We've stayed at this hotel 3 times and i cant see us staying anywhere else. Its perfectly located on grace bay, steps away from the best beach in the world. The property is gorgeous and meticulously clean. The hotel has free bicycles that you can take and explore island or go grocery shopping which is about 5 minute ride. What i love most about this property is the location, great restaurant, the friendliness of the employees and the beach.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sands at Grace Bay? Share your experiences!