“Wonderful Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Southborough, Massachusetts
“Wonderful Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

My husband and I just returned from The Sands – stayed September 29 – October 5. Could not be happier.

Immigration was a breeze both coming and going…I am sure this is because of the time of year but it was a nice change from experiences we have had at other locations. We landed at 12:30 and arrived at the hotel at 1 pm. Our room, understandably, wasn’t ready as check-in is at 3 pm. No problem, there is a beautiful hospitality building which has restrooms and changing rooms (and showers) so we changed into bathing suits and enjoyed the beach and bar until 3 pm.

Resort

We had booked a studio garden view suite but were pleasantly surprised with a one bedroom upgrade. Very, very generous of the hotel. The room was beautiful. The furniture was not old or run down in the least as the previous reviewer mentions. It was not elaborate but very nice and comfortable. The bed and pillows were extremely comfortable and we had a great night sleep every night. The kitchens have everything you need….coffeemaker (with coffee the hotel provides if you prefer), toaster, blender, silverware, cookware and plates and glasses. We had breakfast on our patio or at the beach. Loved having coffee on the beach in the morning! Lunch was at Hemingways or on the patio again. And dinner was out each evening. The staff was attentive, friendly and welcoming. Always helpful when we had a question or needed information. There were renovations going on so it could be a bit noisy on our patio but you couldn’t hear anything at the pool, on the beach, at Hemingways or inside the room. They work on one building at a time so you are not staying in a building with work being done. A small price to pay for remodeled bathrooms!! The pictures they have in the lobby look like they will be beautiful.

Restaurants

For dinner we ate at Bay Bistro, Mango Reef (twice), Hemingways, The Deck and a place on Grace Bay Road, can’t recall the name (wasn’t very memorable). All were good….most, very good. Bay Bistro was probably the best but Mango Reef was a very, very close second. Maybe it was the wine!! I was surprised that Bay Bistro had Wente wine at an excellent price. We had planned to go back before we left but that didn’t happen. The Deck was also very good and we loved the location but the service left a little to be desired. The service wasn’t bad; we just felt we were bothering the person taking care of our table. A big pet peeve of mine, but it was the only time we had anything less than excellent service all week so I can’t complain.

The beach was everything we hoped for….incredibly blue water with flour soft sand. Peaceful and relaxing. We loved The Sands, a fantastic value for the area and would return in a heartbeat!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I must say that I made the right choice by staying at the sands at gracebay my overall experience was one that I would cherish with years to come the property is gorgeous we stayed in an oceanview and the room was so beautiful when we arrived the lady at the front desk rianne she was so sweet and considerate seeing that we had a long flight she took good care of us throughout our entire stay the restaurant was amazing the beaches are like paintings they are wonderful I deffinatley reccomend making this hotel your number one choice the staff and sourroundings are so wonderful I really won't forget this trip.

• Stayed September 2012
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

My partner and i stayed at the Sands from September 11th - 16th 2012. After reading many reviews of similar properties on Trip Advisor, i decided that The Sands represented the best value and requirements for our stay -; Relaxation! After a short trip from the airport we arrived at Reception and were greeted by Sharmara and offered a Rum Punch. The staff were all friendly and accommodating and my first impressions of the venue were very positive. Our room was exactly what i had seen in the pictures and was kept immaculate by housekeeping on a daily basis. The kitchenette was a fantastic addition as you are not forced to eat out which can become costly quickly, and you are a ten minute walk to the local grocery store. Another great feature is the ice machine in the Hospitality centre, so we always had chilled drinks in our room. The facilities are fantastic! 3 generous sized pools, free non motorized equipment (the bikes are very handy!) as well as Hemingway's restaurant, which was reasonably priced with great tasty food. The beach is breathtaking and right on your door step and the weekly Managers party on Tuesday is a great way to mingle with other guests and enjoy free drinks and delicious food. Overall, The Sands is a perfect unpretentious resort, with friendly staff and excellent facilities. It may not be the newest resort but it has charm and genuine hospitality!! I'll definitely be back and cant wait to watch the sunset with a glass of wine on the shoreline as we did daily!!

Room Tip: All rooms are spacious but perhaps ask for a renovated bathroom. We were also upgraded on check in s...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Lidra B, Manager at Sands at Grace Bay, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear Michael M,

Thank you for your feedback and kind words about your recent stay at The Sands at Grace Bay.

We were truly delighted to know that you enjoyed the resort, facilities and the friendliness of our team members and the resort facilities.

Indeed you are correct we are centrally located to a number of restaurants, bars, shopping and jewelry stores. We are also happy to know you enjoyed our Managers Cocktail party held on Tuesday’s from 5pm to 6pm. It is a nice way to mingle and get to know other guest and especially nice for our managers to get to know you as well.

We all look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to The Sands at Grace Bay very soon.

Kind regards,
Lidra Barranco
toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

I was in Provo frome Sept 9th-16th. I had an amazing opportunity to stay @ this wonderful resort. On arrival my I was greeted with a wonderful rum punch, which I admitted I went back for a few times during my stay. I was greeted by wonderful reception staff Shamara ,Adrian & a very hepful concierge Terry. Rhianna was great during the blackout..Kudo's. I found Ms. Pearlene to an amazing housekeeping supervisor as well. We lacked for nothing, eveeryone checked in to see how your stay was going. My room was kept spotless by the hard working staff. Beach staff were great..no need to rush to hold chairs or water equipment. This is a place where one recieves old school hospitality. Bikes were a nice treat to pick up items from IGA(Gourmet Foods). Also a shout out to Barbara the Manager..who was awesome. Coming from Canada a country where we are tres hospitable, is the feeling I got from this hotel..safety, comfort & the graciousness of TCI love & warmth. I will keep my sunny memories till I return again..REAL SOON..promise..Thank you / Merci staff for making my stay AWESOME

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Just got back from my 2 week Honeymoon,I have to say that it was amazing in every way.The beach is just stunning, the most beautiful beach I have seen in my life and it`s my 8th trip down south. The hotel is great as well, the rooms are very nice and clean. We got a free upgrade for our honeymoon which was a great touch to our vacation. WIFI in the rooms comes in handy when looking at different dinning options. The pool and beach area are very nice and always well maintained. Hotel staff was really nice and friendly , their is a couple of people who truly made our stay memorable.The bellboy named TERRY is sooooo amazing ;) this guy is crazy lol and he will make your stay a lot more enjoyable and fun. The front desk agent named Shamara is amazing also, she was so nice and fun,she was always there when we needed something , and always had an amazing smile:). Last but not the least John from maintenance was very nice too and so kind¸, when he spoke we see that it was heartfelt and that he truly enjoyes his job.Those people made our stay WONDERFUL and we will without a doubt go back because of them. The only issue that I find the hotel must work on is the old bicycles that they provide you with. My wife and I took out 2 of them so when can go to the grocery store, while pedaling the chain broke off my wifes bike and she was not able to stop for the oncoming traffic.Thank god everything ended up fine but this could have been very dangerous. Last night of our trip the hotel lost power due to a rain storm, I was suprised to see that the hotel did not have a generator for the rooms and we had to do our luggage in the dark. This was a little annoying as you would expect an average size hotel to be equipped with generators. In all this hotel did indeed exceed our expectations in every way, we had a great honeymoon and will without a doubt return as soon as we get a chance. Oh and by the way... do not miss the managers cocktails every Tuesday from 5 to 6 pm. Free alcohol for 1 hour!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Lidra B, Front Office Manager at Sands at Grace Bay, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear Monsieur_stan,

Thank you for spending your Honeymoon with us and for posting your recent feedback regarding your stay at The Sands at Grace Bay. We were so happy to learn that you and your new Bride found the resort to be wonderful and amazing. We appreciate your kind words about our friendly staff, especially about Terry, Shamara, and John. We will certainly share your feedback with them and the entire staff.

Please accept our apologies regarding the bicycle mishap. We have taken corrective measures to prevent future occurrences.

With regard to the island-wide power outage, most resorts including our own have a back-up generator for these such types of emergencies. Emergency generators can only supply a very limited amount of actual emergency power through the resort. We can confirm our back-up generator automatically started and powered the entrance emergency lighting in the guest rooms and various areas of the resort until power was restored by the power company.

Again, thank you for your feedback. It is because of caring guests such as yourselves that we have a concrete basis for improvement. We look forward to welcoming you back for your First Year Anniversary.

With tropical regards,
Barbara Rigby
Front Office Manager
st louis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

My husband and I just finished five lovely days at this resort and would come back again. Even though it is considered the off season, there was enough staff to see that everyone was happy and enjoying themselves. Beverly and Barbara worked hard to see that things ran smoothly. Housekeeping was wonderful and our room was clean and fresh each day. Plenty of luxurious towels and fresh bedding. Our suite was complete with kitchen and laundry amenities.
The pools were sparkling and clear and there were towels for the beach as well. And the beach was stunning! Soft, powdery sand on an endless stretch of beach just off the pool area made for wonderful swimming in the aquamarine waters.
We scheduled a scuba/snorkel trip with Ocean Vibes tours on Tuesday and had a fantastic trip. Andrae (?) our dive master and Paul our boat captain were experts at what they do, making our trip safe and exciting beyond our expectations. My husband was able to dive with a number of sharks in some excellent waters as I snorkeled above them, enjoying the vast variety of fish that Paul beckoned with his secret fish communication system. Thanks, Paul, for all of the interesting information on so many fish! And, thanks Andrae, for keeping my husband alive way down there in the depths of that beautful water! Your expertise and patience made our trip one to remember for a long time. I would certainly recommend Ocean Vibes Tours for your water activities. Tasha keeps things humming along smoothly in the office and is the best transportation service we experieced on the island. AND she keeps the floors clean in the office! Good work, girl.
Our Turtle Tours transfers from the airport to resort and back left a bit to be desired as they seemed to lack communication. It took close to an hour for them to arrive at the airport to take us to the Sands and on the return trip we had to contact them from the room and remind them that we needed transportation back.
This was our 30 year anniversary vacation trip and I must say that it was fantastic. We would come back again anytime.

Room Tip: As someone else said, the ocean front rooms are the rooms to book. We had an ocean view, but it ove...
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I just got back form a mother daughter weekend(adult daughters). I was very pleased with T&C and the Sands. The room was very nice and updated. If you get ocean view, that is all it is, Ocean front is much better. We were ocean view and not that special. Just peaceful and clean. The one repair we had was promptly handled . The housekeeping was perfect. We dealt very little with the front desk, but I must say Micheal was very helpful. The others at the front were too busy on their cellphones texting to be of much help. Fortunately we didn't require much. The resturant staff was so NOT helpful we chose not to eat there much. Sounds like I am complaining. I guess I am. The staff was either very good or zero. Just think they need some rules and supervision. I plan to go back and hope to take my whole family with babies etc. Think I will stay there again. The layout and facilities were very good for families and the porches are tremendous. The beach is perfect. I did read the beach was "protected" from boat traffic and was dissapointed to see so many boats zooming by. T&C needs to enforce that rule so it doesn't turn into a Cancun. Hope this helps. Oh and my massage was wonderful. If you want a serious deep tissue massge ask for Gail. I have a massage regularly so am picky and she was very good.

Room Tip: Get ocean front, I think building 3 was the one.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Sands at Grace Bay? Share your experiences!