“Perfect location!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Westford, Massachusetts
“Perfect location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

The Sands is the perfect compromised between a full-service hotel and an individual rental. If you want to be pampered and hovered over by all means go to one of the big resorts, but if you are looking for a clean, updated condo with lots of room and a full kitchen -- plus a pristine beach on Grace Bay -- the Sands will be perfect for you. Our family of four chose a 2 bedroom, 2 bath ocean view top floor unit, with a lovely view from the screen porch. We started and ended our days there because of the nice breezes, and it was a great place to be outside but out of the hot sun. The kitchen was large and updated, and although we didn't really cook it was great to be able to make coffee, grab some croissants down at Grace Bay Bakery, or make a sandwich mid-day. We had our two almost-adult children with us and everyone gets up at a different time -- an all-inclusive resort would be wasted on us. There's even a blender to whip up some rum punch! Reading the few negative reviews I found that they were either unrealistic (one wanted top service during a hurricane!), or they didn't appreciate the low-key vibe. The employees were all friendly, they kept the room and grounds perfectly clean, and that's all the service I require. We would go back again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

We had an absolutely fabulous time during our vacation stay at The Sands of
Grace Bay! The staff was very nice, the amenities were great, and we
especially loved the great service with the lady at the Excursions desk. She
helped us book a glow worm tour, a chartered snorkeling trip and was
friendly too!!

The room was comfortable and we loved the screened in porches!! A fabulous
view for our morning breakfast!!

The managers party was very nice also!

We took the bicycles out several times and really appreciated having them to
use! Great shops and restaurants were a short ride away!!

All in all, we loved the resort and plan on a repeat trip!! We'll be sure to
book a condo at The Sands!!!

• Stayed August 2012
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

We spent Aug 5 -10 at the Sands. I was traveling with my husband, toddler, and parents so the two bedroom unit was great for us. We were in Building 1 (room 1303) and the ocean views were lovely (we had rented an "ocean view room" and it was an accurate description.). My mother was not thrilled that only one of the bedrooms had an ocean view, but the view from the living room and *huge* screened-in veranda made up for the back bedroom's lack of view. (We probably spent more time in the unit than most people, given our son's afternoon nap and early bedtime). Having said that, the unit was spotless, with a brand new kitchen and bathroom -- granite, stainless steel, gorgeous tile, etc. The decor was classic Caribbean and very nice. It was a pleasure to be in the unit when we needed to be. Here's a breakdown of the rest of the resort:

Pools: The pools were fantastic. The garden pools were never crowded. The spa was delightful.
Grounds: The hotel grounds were meticulous and gorgeous.
Restaurant: Very good for a casual meal and/or drinks.
Beach: Grace Bay is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world -- the sand and water were incredible. However, the areas around the Sands' palapas were not clean. Every morning, we had to pick up cigarette butts and bottle caps (and there were many) before allowing our little guy to play freely. This was disappointing and surprising only because the rest of the resort was so spotless and the beaches in front of the palapa to the water were raked. Still, it was nice to have the palapas to use.
Staff: Mixed. Most were very very friendly, but the front desk staff were a bit unhelpful.
Lounge: A nice place to spend time while waiting to leave for the airport. We were very happy to have access to it after check out at 11 am. (We had a 3:30 flight.)

As for the island itself, we had many wonderful meals: Bay Bistro and Las Brisas especially. The pizza at Pizza Pizza was surprisingly good and easy to pick up for lunch.

We rented a car and that was helpful for going to the grocery store for drinks and some food for the unit (we often had breakfast and lunch in). However, if you rent a car, do not rent from Budget. Very disorganized and the car was in bad shape.

Overall, this was a really great place to stay with my family. My son just loved the water and sand and the resort was child-friendly while still being quiet, peaceful, and relaxing. I would recommend it anyone.

Sunnyvale, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We just got back from a 10 day vacation at the Sands, and had a wonderful, relaxing time.

The highlights for us were the beautiful beach and very, very friendly and welcoming staff.

The Sands offers large, spacious rooms (units) on a fantastic beach. Some of the best hotel beach fronts you will find - the property has 2 empty lots on either side, so the beach always feels private and uncrowded. Palapas are easily available, and we loved having palapas instead of regular beach umbrellas, they are shadier and far more relaxing for lounging and reading a book. A plus for the Sands.

Beach: We came for the beach, and it was the main attraction. Spent 80% of our time in or on the water. It was magnificent -- best beach ever. Love the stretch of beach at the Sands

Unit: Homey, comfy and large. It was like visiting friends at a beach house. Units were about 20 years old, looked a little dated. But very comfortable. Lovely kitchens and balconies. Was nice to be able to spread out. We were in building 3 on the top floor - lovely. The unit was rented on our last night, and we had to move to a 3rd floor unit in Bldg 5. There was a real difference between the 2 units which were both considered ocean view. Building 5 had a smaller unit and was ocean 'peek' not ocean view. Since it was one night I did not really mind, however keep in mind that there are a lot of differences between units since this is a condo complex not a resort. The studio units looked very small and airless. Suggestion is to ask for a unit in a building closer to the ocean, with real ocean views.

Staff: Very friendly, warm and accommodating. I was very impressed with Shopia at reservations. I reserved directly thru the hotel, and she made every effort to take care of my requests. It was a positive first interaction with the hotel. Rianne and Shamara at the front desk took excellent care of us, and also went above and beyond to make our stay comfortable. John and Berthoid at the activities/ towel desk were great. Housekeeping was excellent, as was the staff at Hemingway's.

Food: Loved Hemingways! Ate almost every lunch there. Also loved being able to fix meals and snacks in our kitchen. The hotel has a shuttle to the big IGA grocery store 2wice per day - so I went on my first evening there and stocked up on groceries and soft drinks. Bought some wine but did not drink any -- rum punch at Hemingways was so much better.
TIP: Groceries are very expensive - consider carrying some dry food and snacks from here. I wish I had taken some peanut butter, granola bars, crackers, cookies, cereal, pasta and zip lock bags to pack snacks or sandwiches for the beach. Another tip: tap water tastes funny (sulphuric). However, boiling tap water (bring to a boil and then let it boil for 10 mins) burns off the bad taste. Cool it and store in the frig. Its as good as bottled.

Location: Nice, somewhat central. A 10 min walk to the shops and restaurants of Grace Bay, and a 30 m walk to snorkeling at Coral Gardens. Our two fave restaurants on the island were Bay Bistro (right next door) and Hemingways. Also an easy walk to Mango Reef, also on the beach. We stayed on the beach till sunset, so the shops were never open when we stepped out. A 10 min walk to the grocery store - a pain during the hot day, but pleasant in the evening.

Grace Bay has a lot of great accommodations, so it was hard to decide where to stay -- every place is on the very same beach. We decided to stay here because it was on a great stretch of beach, and also since we were able to get the most bang for our buck (largest unit we could get in our price range). For the price of a small, one bedroom garden view at the Somerset or Seven Stars, we were able to get a large, airy, 2 BR ocean view unit - with a huge, screened in balcony. The luxury of space and view were a great compensation for not having marble baths and egyptian cotton sheets. We would have had to pay twice as much for a similar unit at a 'better', newer hotel. Ocean View West was a comparable property, which seemed very nice - but this has a better pool front, beach front and restaurant. OCW units seemed more updated and they have some beach front units which are very nice. If money was no object at all, we might have considered Seven Stars for their more central location and luxurious rooms. However, we took a look at the rooms there and the room offered at the same price as our Sands unit (1 BR garden view) was claustrophobic, with a parking lot view and mini balcony. There was another lovely unit shown to us, but it was literally hundreds of dollars more per night, and to us not worth the move - Sands was very friendly and comfortable.

We loved Grace Bay and the beach in front of the sands. Also enjoyed snorkeling at Coral Gardens, taking a snorkel boat trip (organized thru the Sands), eating at the local restaurants (Bay Bistro and Da Conch shack were favorites). Pizza Pizza is close by and serves up a pretty decent pizza. It's all about the water! No photo can do it justice. Loved the turquoise in the day, and the warm ocean breeze at night. Absolutely loved snorkeling with all the beautiful fish. Nothing quite as relaxing as a dip in Grace Bay. The Sands was family friendly and a great choice for first timers on the island.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in Bldg 3, or in a room closest to the ocean.
Phoenix, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

My family of 7 (50s, 20s and a 17 yr old) just got back last night from an 8 night stay. We originally booked a 3 bedroom and after some research realized that one of those bedrooms might have a pullout sofa so we changed our reservation to 2 two bedroom condos. Upon checkin we were given a 3 bedroom (all beds) on the 2nd floor and a 2 bedroom on the ground floor. I wish I could remember names but it really doesnt matter as we never encounted a rude or indifferent employee at all. We received our welcome rum punch (yummy), our packet telling about the resort and off we were to the rooms.

The bellman showed us to the rooms and told us where the different amenities were along the way. He also handled the bikes and was such a pleasant man - always a hello and how is your day going?

We had more than enough room (in fact an extra bedroom) and the ground floor which hubby and I shared came in handy. The screened in porch faces the pool with easy walking access to the beach so we kept the slider unlocked and used our place to eat breakfast/lunch and meet for dinner. The rooms are very spacious and clean. Our kitchen was well equipted and we had no problems with ants/bugs of any kind even being on the ground floor.

We ate at Hemmingways a few times for lunches and breakfasts. The portions were large, the food was delicious and the service was great. I couldnt get enough of their seasoned french fries. Clara (I hope that is her name) was fantastic. She has a wonderful personality and kept us smiling the whole time we were eating.

Now the best part - the amazing beach. Lots of palapas and beach umbrellas. They rake the sand in front so it is very clean. The resort also had these great beach chairs as well as loungers. Hubby and I prefer sitting with our feet in the sand so the chairs were great for us. The 20 yr olds all enjoyed the hobie cats, windsurfing, canoes, etc provided free at the resort. They also have floats/noodles free to use. We used the snorkel gear and went down in front of Coral Gardens. Also went and saw the starfish and barracudas under the pier near Seven Stars. We played tennis almost everyday (we brought our own so I cant comment on the resorts) and took bike rides to the grocery story and the Fresh bakery.

Tidbits - We were able to print out our boarding passes in the lounge. The wifi in the room worked very well. We brought a big thermos and made rum punch and had our own happy hour everyday at 5 on the beach.

In closing, we all had an amazing vacation thanks to the Sands and their employees. Hubby said he would go back to the Sands in a heartbeat and he is very particular.

Howell, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

Let me start by saying that I have been to many, many different islands and resorts in the carribean. This was my third trip to Turks and Caicos, but first time at the Sands. I traveled with my husband and 9 year old daughter. Turks and Caicos has the BEST beach ever ! Crystal clear blue water, and soft, white powder sand...truly a gem ...trust me !!!
Our first two times in Turks, 10 and 12 years ago, we stayed at the Allegro, which no longer exists and is now the Seven Stars. We remembered the Sands from back then, when we would pass it on our way to Coral Gardens for snorkeling. It always looked so beautiful, and quaint, which is why we chose it for this year. Here is my opinion on everything :

BEACH : I travel to the islands for the beach, and I choose carefully according to the beach conditions. Again, one the best beaches in the Carribean ! With that being said, the beach directly in front of the Sands is absolutely perfect. Plenty of tiki umbrellas and space for everyone. If there are no tiki umbrellas left, the nice guys who work the beach will set up an umbrellas for you, wherever you want. As you walk further down the beach, either way, the beach gets a little more narrow than the Sands' beach, which is what makes this beach better. Also, some of the other resorts have cheesy loung chairs with a canopy upove the chair. Personally, I like nice chair with a tiki umbrella...it provides plenty of shade and and has a true island feel ! There are also fun water crafts to enjoy...Hobie cats, stand up paddles, and kayaks. Ask Kenold to take you for a ride on the hobie cat..he's so sweet and nice !!

ROOMS : We had a second floor, one bedroom, ocean view room with a huge screened in porch. The view was wondeful, and I enjoyed drinking my coffee every morning while looking out at the spectactular blue ocean ! The screen is nice too b/c you can sit out there at night without worrying about bugs creeping in. Kitchen was newer and very nice, however we didn't use it much..ate most meals out. But if you are looking to eat some meals in, it is VERY well equipped. Our bathroom was outdated, but fine, and I believe they are in the process of updating all bathrooms. The pullout coach my daughter slept on was a little uncomfortable, thin bumpy mattress ..that would really be my only complaint. We are paying for three people to be in the room, so that third person really should have a comfortable bed to sleep in as well.

GROUNDS/POOL : The grounds are kept immaculate and beautifully. The pool is great with many little coves to swim and sit poolside ! NEVER crowded...though we didn't use it much b/c of the awesome beach. But, my daughter enjoys pools, and she had fun at this one.

RESTAURANTS: Hemingways, at the sands is very good. We would pretty much eat breakfast or lunch there, then venture to other restaurants for dinner. Everything we ate at Hemingways was delicious. There are plenty of restaurants to walk to right from the beach. We would walk to dinner on the beach, while watching the gorgeous sunset ! We ate at Mango Reef (in the Alexandra), The Deck (Seven Stars ), Somewhere (Coral Gardens ), Upstairs Bar and Grill, Jimmy's Dive Bar (both across the street from Seven Stars). All very good ! DEFINITELY eat at "Somewhere" and enjoy the spectacular view from the second floor seating...good maragritas, great nachos, and burritos too !

EXCURSIONS: My daughter and husband went parasailing, and LOVED it ! We also booked a glass bottom boat excursion through the desk by the beach. It was wonderful ! Thet took us snorkeling at a FANTASTIC reef...and I've snorkeled on numerous reefs, this was one of the best ! We also dove for sand dollars, stopped at a private prisitine beach for shell collecting, and enjoyed a fresh conch salad, and got to keep a conch for a souveneir...which by the way, the guys at the Sands' excursion desk will clean and shine for you !

OVERALL: ABSOLUTELY wonderful vacation !!!!!!! We would, without a doubt, go back !!
If you have any questions, PLEASE ask...I'd be more than happy to help and answer any/all questions !!

Room Tip: Better view of the ocean if you are on the second or third floor
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Hadley, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Be aware that if you pay the extra price for an oceanview room, you may be looking out at the huge garden before you see a sliver of the ocean. We had a great time in the Turks and Caicos and our 2 bedrm was large and clean but I will NEVER book an oceanview rm at the Sands again. The garden views are nice and many have some view of the ocean, probably would have been closer to the ocean than ours. We were in the furthest bldg from the ocean but because our room "faced" the ocean and you could see a small view of the water- the Sands considered that an "Oceanview" room. Sounds like a line of bull to me.
The heat and humidity was very high in June when we visited. The humidity must have been at 80-90% and there was no breeze to be found that day
Be aware that the lobby is not air conditioned and neither is their restaurant Hemingways. This is typical for most resorts on the island but the Sands doesn't make it well-known that they have an air-conditioned lounge to relax in. They never mentioned any lounge but told us we could relax in the restaurant while we waited for our room to be ready. The staff was nice except for the tall, skinny woman at the front desk-so avoid her-she had a bad attitude. I thought it was very rude of the staff to keep asking you to wait while they go into the room behind the desk, that was obviously air conditioned. Yes, the atmosphere is relaxed but it's pretty lame for them to be asking if you'd like a rum punch, when the guy comes out after 5-10 mins time with only 2 tiny rum punches for the 6-10 guests standing in the lobby waiting for their rooms. Kinda chintzy cheap, and no water around. hmm-guess they've been trained on how to get you to buy drinks at the restaurant.
We were staying 7 nights so I complained about our room and they promised to move us in 2 days to the other building with the true oceanviews. That's when a room would open up. So the next morning (a Sat) I checked with the front desk to be sure that no other rooms with oceanviews had opened up and the guys assured me if we waited until Sun we would really like the room that was opening up. When Sun morning came, I called in the morning to ask when they'd move us and they told me oh, they changed their mind- they can't move us and we do have a partial ocean view anyway. Peeved as I was, I"m not going to let their deceit ruin my vacation, so I'm posting this review so you all know what to expect. Food at Hemingways is average bar food-nothing great. Got to Somewhere's Cafe at the Coral Gardens, food is much better.
Enjoy the ocean, snorkeling is great at the nearby Coral Gardens resorts. I didn't think the Coral Gardens had a very nice resort or beachfront but they do have a reef right off shore for snorkeling, Its a mile walk down the beach. The hobie cats and kayaks are worth taking out.
I thought the Sands was a nice resort but nothing too special. I'd go back because the beach was beautiful and the rooms were big and I know not to believe what they tell you. Enjoy the island is beautiful!!

Room Tip: Get a gardenview room, you can't go wrong. Amazingly, there were no bugs to be seen anywhere in...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Lidra B, Manager at Sands at Grace Bay, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Dear Fayray4u,

Thank you for your feedback. We have several categories in the hotel. Rooms that have a complete un-obstructive view of the ocean are considered ocean front categories. Ocean views are partial ocean views looking from different angles. When reserving a room with an ocean view, these are the two to choose from.

Yes, our lobby and restaurant like many in throughout the Caribbean is an open environment concept. This is so our guests feel part of the natural island surrounding flowing throughout.

We love to welcome our guests by providing a cold cup of fruit punch or rum punch especially after traveling. To keep it nice and cold, we refrigerate in the back area though bring out large trays when there are large group of arrivals. I am sorry not all your encounters with our staff was exceptional we usually receive so many positive remarks. Your comments have been shared with our entire team.

Additionally, please accept our apologies for the delay in your room change. Once we have rooms available our team does their best to give an alternative option or upsell to other available categories. Alas, at times this cannot always be fulfilled due to availability and extended stays.

Overall we are delighted your trip was a great one, and hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you back to Providenciales.

Kind regards,

Lidra Barranco

Been to Sands at Grace Bay? Share your experiences!