“Fabulous Silver Anniversary Trip” 4 of 5 stars

Sibonne Beach Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Grace Bay Beach, Providenciales   |
Ranked #32 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Oklahoma
“Fabulous Silver Anniversary Trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I have wanted to go to Turks and Caicos ever since I heard Kelly Ripa talk about it years and years ago on Regis and Kelly. We have traveled to Hawaii several times and taken cruises, but we always thought Turks and Caicos was out of reach financially. As our 25th anniversary was approaching, I started thinking about how TCI was really where I wanted to go. I got an e-mail from CheapCaribbean.com, and I found the package that included the Sibonne'. I thought it sounded too good to be true to be right on Grace Bay Beach at that price point. I did some reading on Trip Advisor, and the reviews made me think this was the place.

Now, it is definitely not for everyone. If you like fancy and big beautiful rooms with luxurious appointments, you will be disappointed. The Sibonne' is like stepping back in time. There are only 20 something rooms, there are only two stories, no fancy lobby, and no elevator. However, the rooms are clean, cool, and comfortable. We stayed in Room 203 which was ocean view, and I posted the view from our room. It had an additional sitting room attached, so we were able to spread out a little. This also gave us an extended balcony with table, chairs, and a lounge. Don't expect a lot of privacy on the balconies because of the lattice separators; it didn't bother us at all. We didn't sit out there much b/c we could take an extra minute and sit on the beach. I did drink my coffee and protein shake out there each morning:) The king size bed was very comfortable, as were the pillows. The mini fridge was just what we needed. We had planned to eat all meals out but breakfast, so it was perfect. We had two nice TVs, but we only turned them on twice.

Here's the deal. I wanted to stay somewhere that I could roll out of bed at and be at the beach in under a minute. Come on! It's Grace Bay! I did not plan on sitting at a pool at all. In Kauai, fancy resorts and gorgeous pools were important because there were so few hotels on an actual swimmable beach. We had to travel to get to different beaches.... which I loved. But this time, I planned to spend all but sleeping and eating time either traveling the island, snorkeling, or laying/reading by the beach and getting in the water when I got hot. The water. Wow. Never seen anything like it. The ocean WAS our pool. Very little waves. Crystal clear, shallow, sandy, no sea weed or rocks. At any rate, we just needed somewhere to sleep, and the Sibonne more than met our expectations. Had it been inland, no way. But its location is perfect.

The beach is wide and uncrowded at the hotel. I could look right toward the Sands or left toward Sommerset and see a lot of crowds on the beach and in the water. There is quite a bit of space between the Siboonne and those two. They are not right next door. You'll see the pics I took that show there were very few people on the hotel beach or in the water. It felt so private and special. We also brought our own ice chest and stocked up on beer, water, and adult beverages when we arrived. We loved being able to sit and drink and not have to wait for a server or go to a bar. We had our toes in the water, hineys in the sand, not a worry in the world, a cold drink in our hands..... the whole time.

Now we did do a half day snorkel trip, and we did rent a car for a day to explore the island. On that day we went to Chalk Sound and Sapadilla Bay as well as explored Blue Hills. We walked to all restaurants except when we had lunch at Las Brisas on Chalk Sound (don't miss that!) and we drove to Sharkbite. Go ahead and skip that. Bad choice on our part. We took a taxi to Coco Bistro which was a beautiful place with outstanding food. Of course, Bay Bistro on the Sibonne property is one of the best on the island, and we ate there three times. Their breakfast is very reasonable, although we only did it once for Sunday brunch,

Stacey at the front desk was very helpful and made calls for us to restaurants and to taxis. The other hotel staff were very friendly if we spoke first. The housekeeping ladies were very sweet and were tickled pink with their tips each day.

Our only negative experience was late on Saturday and Sunday afternoons. There is a public park next to the hotel, and of course the beach is public. That is no problem except that both days a rowdy crowd of young people (different people each day) barged up and sat right next to us on the lounges and under the umbrellas. Mind you we had been experiencing VERY quiet days. No kids, few adults. Paradise. These people were very disrespectful, loud, obnoxious, drinking people who had no consideration for anyone but themselves. Fine if you want to sit up there, but not so fine that you ruined our time. Thankfully it was later in the day both times, so we finally just went to our room. I think it would have been better had I known that was a possibility. We would have rented our car on Saturday to explore. It only happened on the weekend, and I think it only happens at the Sibonne because it has so few guests on the beach at a time. The hotel representative said that it is a complex situation with the locals and that a confrontation might make it worse. That's really too bad. Hopefully what we experienced does not happen often. Again, there was none of that during the week.

When we return to TCI with our three daughters (no plans, but I am speaking positively) we will stay somewhere else unless we can reserve the beach apartment b/c we'll need a kitchen so we can eat more meals in. However, when my husband and I return alone again, we will most definitely book at the Sibonne. It was just so perfect for us. People talk about how Grace Bay is getting too touristy and built up, but as long as the Sibonne stays around, you'll feel secluded in paradise.

TIPS:

Bring snacks and an ice chest if you can fit them in your suitcase.

Bring a blow up raft to float on. I bought a cheap one before I left and then left it there.

We bought a Nikon Coolpix waterproof, wi-Fi camera. Worth the investment.

Bring a back up camera or battery if you do a snorkel trip. We loved Island Vibes!

Use Majestic Taxi - Leonard or Antionette. Awesome people! 649-343-3840
www.majestictaxisandtours.com

The hotel uses actual KEYS not key cards. Be sure to leave them in the room so youdon't get to the airport with them in your pocket. OOPS. Or if you do, I hope you used Majestic b/c Antoinette came back and got them and took them back to hotel for us:)

If you get a lot of tips from the forums on here, which I recommend, be sure to print it all out. In the past, I always relied on pulling posts like directions up on my cell phone, but I only used my phone at the hotel where there is free wi-Fi. When traveling the island I didn't have access. We got lost a few times because of that. There is an island map, but some beaches are just tricky to find!

Don't put car keys in your checked baggage! We learned that the hard way when we got to Dallas and had to drive home to OKC. Our bags arrived four afters after us, and we had to wait. Bummer. Yes, we have key issues.

Enjoy your trip and remember my father's famous vacation quote: "We did not come here to save money or lose weight!"

Room Tip: There's really not a bad room unless you have one of the two right by the front that don't h...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We stayed at the Sibonne for several days. The beach is beautiful. Love, love, love the beach. Our hotel room was average but desent. It had a smell to it. The smell was very strong. If you have allergies, this is not the place for you to stay. The smell was close to a strong moth ball/strong cleaning solution (my opinion/nose). The first two nights were uncomfortable for me due to the smell. It took me a couple of days to get use to the smell. The hotel needs a major upgrade. I agree with a previous reviewer that the towels need to by upgraded. Towels felt rough.

The staff weren't as welcoming as I expected. Some staff members had bad attitudes.

The Bay Bistro had great food.

I would recommend Bay Bistro but not Sibonne to family or friends.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Putnam, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

just returned from TCI and the Sibonne. I stayed at the alexandra for a week so the Sibonne is smaller and quainter. the towels need an update. nice and friendly people and the Bay Bisto has great breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as great ice cream.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Riverside, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We heard of Sibonne from friends. It is small enough to feel personal, with different room options. The Bay Bistro is next to Sibonne's pool and serves all 3 meals and a week-end brunch. There are several large resorts along the beach nearby (e.g. Beaches), but I was glad we stayed at Sibonne to be away from the crowds. We were less than 50 yards from the ocean, with power sugar-like sand.

The Grace Bay beach is worthy of the top 10 beaches in the world!

I would recommend renting a car for one day to see other parts of the island, but you don't
need more than that.

Room Tip: Beach view on the 2nd floor was good, but the others are good too.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

My 9 days on TCI at the Sorbonne have just come to an end. I met up with friends who are touring around the USA and Caribbean. My room was spacious, clean and well-appointed. The king size bed was very comfortable and the air conditioning was quiet and efficient. The view from my room was stunning and I just about fell out of bed onto the beach. The staff were helpful and unobtrusive. Cute little beach cabanas are provided to get out of that Caribbean sun for those of us who don't tan easily and the water was refreshing - love the torquoise colour of the sea. The Bay Bistro is a romantic restaurant belonging to the resort. The meals were delicious. This resort may not compete for luxury with the other resorts that surround it but for a good value, relaxed holiday, it was perfect for me.

Room Tip: I stayed in a Premier Beachfront room. It was a great choice with beautiful views, lots of space an...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Providenciales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I found Sibonne here on TA and it was much appreciated. This hotel is in one of the best spots on Grace Bay. The hotel is small but that allows it to be the closest to the beach. We were litterally about 20 to 30 steps from the beach. All of the other resorts are set so far back that you don't feel like you are getting the value of being on beach front property. By the way we had room 109 which was the next best room to being in the apartments which were on the front facing the beach. We could see the Garden, the Pool and the Ocean from our little back porch. The best part about 109 is you can go out the back of your room (the sliding glass doors) and be 10 steps from the pool. Or go out the front door, walk down the beach access and you are there on the beach, 20-30 steps. It was so close that I came back to the room several times to refill our water bottles with Ice and drinks...just a GREAT location.

The hotel itself is one of the smaller ones on Grace Bay but for the value, to me it was the best. My wife and I are the types that the room just needs to be clean and that's it, no mints, no towel animals, no room service...none of that, we are there to be on the beach and to see everything. And the best part is, the room WAS clean and very nice. Had a King Size bed, coffee maker (which they gave you a pack or 2 of coffee every day for it), little fidge, iron and cable TV, soap, shampoo...alll the things you get at a typical hotel. House cleaning every day.

The ladies at the front desk were great, we checked in and the lady was brief about everything but told me what I needed to know. She gave me 2 towels for the pool and beach and said to bring those 2 back and she would give me fresh ones. They could probably work on their people skills some but they always were nice and friendly when I talked to them. The gentlemen that is at the front that helps with the bags is great too...very nice and will help you with most of your questions. Like I said...you're not going to get pampered here but that is not what we wanted so this was perfect.

Bay Bistro which is next to the pool is a GREAT!! restaurant, great food and what we did to help with the cost of food was eat muffins of fruit in the morning (got at the IGA on the way in) and then go there and have their "Snack Menu" which is from 3:00-5:30. Got an awesome cheeseburger, fries and a pickle for $9. And let me tell ya..it's no snack, it's a meal!...It had to have been a 1/2 pound burger and a plate loaded wtih fries. So just keep that in mind when you go. And then we would eat and appitizer there later that evening for late dinner or just have their awesome desert special, Coconut Cheese cake with Ice Cream and Stawberry's or Fudge Brownie with Ice Cream.

But all in all we had a GREAT experience at Sibonne and the reason we had a great time was we knew what to expect and hopefully this review will help you decide if this is where you want to go. Best place on the beach...at least to me it was.

Room Tip: Like I said in the review...room 109 to me would be the best out of all of them. The closet room to...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Waltham, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here to celebrate our anniversary. We were thrilled to find a place on the beach for such a great price. Unfortunately, this resort left much to be desired in the way of hospitality. When we arrived from the airport to check in at 2pm the woman at the desk hardly looked or spoke to us. I think she said hi and then mumbled to the guy with our bags behind us to check and see if a room was ready. Then no one said anything to us at all until i asked if there was a problem with the room. She acted totally put out and rude when she replied that we were early and check in wasnt until 3 so we would have to wait and see if we could get our room. I apologized but it seemed that we had already ruined her day. The man came back to say that our room was ready and asked us to follow him. The receptionist said not a single other word. Nothing about the resort, what it offered, where to find anything...I mean I wasnt expecting a Ritz Carlton experience but at the very least you could tell me where to get a beach towel. We got to our room which was perfect except that when i booked the trip i thought i purchased an ocean view room and we were clearly facing the courtyard. I called down to reception and asked if i had made a mistake and purchased the garden view. She said no that i had purchased a "balcony ocean view room" Meaning..i could see the ocean from the balcony..Sneaky i thought but laughed it off. We set our stuff down and went about trying to figure out how to get a beach towel, how to get around (bikes, taxi, rental car) we werent really sure what to do. We walked over to the restaurant attached to the hotel (but not a part of the hotel) and asked if they knew what to do. They said that they thought there were towels at the front desk. I should write on the restaurant's page and i will but they too were exceptionally unwelcoming. Even when asked, they could give no recommendations on where to eat, sites to see. When we asked at the restaurant if we could eat at the tables in the sun, the woman told us to ask our waitress and then disappeared. Wait a second, what waitress, we just walked in, we dont even have a table yet. We finally got another waitress to talk to us and said that those tables were only for use during dinner so we would have to sit somewhere else. Then she walked off! You would think with only 3 tables that had people at them that it wouldnt have been a big deal for us to eat at one of the empty tables in the sun. By the time we got to the beach on our first day we were pretty exhausted with all the people who spoke to us like it was an imposition for us to be breathing much less bringing our business to their resort and restaurant. Regardless of the unwelcoming attitude the price was fantastic and the location was great!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sibonne Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!