“We’ll be back!” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Grace Bay, PO Box 482, Providenciales   |
Ranked #20 of 44 hotels in Providenciales
“We’ll be back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

This was our first trip to TCI and RWI (7/5 to 7/12/09). We stayed in a garden view studio.

Room was nice, clean, and comfortable. The grounds are spotless, the landscaping is lush, the pools clean, and the beach area well managed. The hotel provides detergent for the washer, paper towels, coffee filters, coffee, and powdered creamer. Also included are an iron board and hair dryer. They have bikes with baskets, hobies, snorkel gear, and kayaks (all have time limits). There is wireless internet in the room and one pc in lobby. We brought a netbook so we could make calls back home using Skype which worked out really well. The in-room safe was big enough to hold the netbook but probably not a full-sized laptop. We had no problems with our incidentals bill -- a copy is left for review the night before check out. Also the front desk will call the night before to see you would like transportation arranged to the airport. Overall the property is very well managed and staffed.

The beach is amazing. The water is crystal clear, no rocks or debris on the bottom, no seaweed, and very warm. Make sure to bring a cheap floaty. The beach never seemed crowded but there was always a nice level of activity. The only people that approached us on the beach were the parasailing guy and the glow-worm tour guy. I’m not sure if you’re allowed to drink on the beach or not but everyone was. There is at least one staff member on the beach from 6 to 6.

The pools are very nice. The larger pool, next to the restaurant, is for everyone and has a small toddler area. The smaller “quite” pool area has the hot tub. I don’t know if the pools are heated but they felt like they were. Although the pools aren’t big they never seemed to be crowded or overrun with kids. We never had trouble getting a lounge chair. Drinking around the pool area seemed acceptable; no one said anything to us if we weren’t supposed to.

Out of convenience we ate mostly at the hotel restaurant, Mango Reef. Service, food, atmosphere, and value were good. You can expect to pay for two people about $85 for dinner and $35 for lunch (you can charge to room). They switch to the dinner menu at six so if you want to save a few dollars go a little early and order dinner off lunch menu. You can order snacks after six from the bar like pizza.

We also ate Somewhere’s ($35), a beach front café right near Coral Gardens, which we really liked and Anacaona. Anacaona is right next to RWI at the Grace Bay Club. It’s adult only and reservations are required. Men are supposed to wear a closed-toe shoe but my husband didn’t have any and got away with a sandal. It’s right on the beach and every night they light what seems like 100’s of tiki torches, very romantic. The food is expensive but worth it ($140, one drink each and an entrée).

The Ports of Call, which has a few restaurants, is within walking distance -- about 10/15 minutes by the beach. Its right across from the Seven Stars which has a beach access to Grace Bay Road -- although the access way is kind of creepy at night -- it gets dark early, about 7:45. Anything past the Seven Stars, like the Salt Mills Plaza and Danny Buoys, IMO would be too far to walk.

As most reviewers have mention the cost of food is high in TCI so you‘ll want to visit the grocery. The IGA is an easy bike ride. Prices you can expect - $4 for a 6-pack of soda; $6 for a box of cereal; $4 bag of chips; $7 for a 6-pack of Bud; $12 for a small bottle of Barefoot wine. If you plan to use a credit card bring your driver’s license and you must charge at least $25. The Fresh Bakery is practically at the entrance to the hotel and they have a nice selection of pastries, especially desserts, and they also make sandwiches to order.

My husband wanted to try bone fishing so we rented a car for one day from Grace Bay Rentals ($52 w/ins). You cannot fish from the shore on Grace Bay as it’s a national park. To purchase a fishing license you need to go the Turtle Cove Marina office which sells one-day licenses for $11 or a 30-day license ($?). The one-day license is only good for that day so if you buy it at 9am it expires at midnight. My husband fished at Flamingo Lake and at the Southside Marina area which is near the lake. Flamingo Lake shore line is mucky and brushy, there’s really no place to sit so it‘s probably best not to bring the family. Everything was easy to find just using the map you can get at the hotel.

Our only other self-guided excursion was snorkeling at the reef at Coral Gardens. We walked there from the hotel, it’s far - about 3 miles one way, but it was a lot of fun. There are also two piers on the Club Med property (next door) that have a lot fish activity. If you walk past Club Med the hotels end and you’ll come to a big house on the point and just a little way more is a small reef you can snorkel at as well.

We did not feel unsafe at the resort or during the day out and about but I personally would not walk around after dark. I did noticed a lot of security -- the IGA has a guard, Ports of Call had a guard at night, and it seems most hotels have a guard at least at night

A couple miscellaneous things…only had use bug spray one night, we drank bottle water but other than that we were not especially cautious about the food and had no issues, when you arrive at the PLS airport a staff member will ask you what hotel you are staying at and direct you to a van going your way--you pay when you get on so have your money ready (van ride $15/pp plus tip), we did not have to pay a departure tax at the airport.

1,222 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
Dallas, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2009

This was our second trip to the turks and we chose to return to the RWI - the resort is still the best value for money on the island and we noticed a few upgrades such as wifi, kayaks etc. that weren't available a few years ago. They have GOT to upgrade their mattresses though - I had terrible back pain during the trip - springs were poking me etc. I couldn't figure out where I could acquire an egg crate (the hotel didn't have any) so I got several extra pillows and slept on a row of them for a week. Everything thing else here is still great.
Food - we ate at Lemon and loved the food and atmosphere. Also ate several meals at Mango Reef and they still continue to do a great job and are reasonable. Hemmingways was having issues - disorganized and messed our order up. Coco Bistro was great again and we also enjoyed Magnolia this trip - great sunset view. Fresh was great for morning pastries and right across from RWI (get there early for the ham and cheese pocket)
Activities
The boys did a lot of bonefishing out on the flates near flamingo lake - we did go out to bonefish point but didn't see a whole lot (but I did find some star fish). They found plenty of places to fish without forking out $500 for a half day guide. I had read a review that sapodilla bay and taylor bay were also good spots but these are only accessible by boat.
Middle Caicos - we took the ferry over to the North Caicos and hooked up with Cardinal Arthur for the day in the middle caicos. He took us to the caves, and several beaches were we snorkeled and fished - he can also take you out in his boat if you are interested. Great guide - he really knows the area - charges $65 hr

Spa - The regent palms spa is lovely - great specials right now massages are $1 a minute on certain days of the week - that's half price and they do a great job.

Branson, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2009

This resort was by far the best location on the island. Close to the Graceway store -which had awesome scones. The bikes made it so easy to get around to the store and other restaurants a little further away. We were in building 6 first floor 1 bedroom condo. It was a wonderful size. We had free internet connection in the room. We did have to get it worked on a few times but was great. Other complaints (which were minor) We could hear the people above us walking around about 6 or so every morning; our door lock had some issues and the ceiling fan was a little squeaky but other wise everything else with the room was great.

Lots of mosquitoes. We were rained on only two part days but other wise weather was great. Front desk girls were not rude but not friendly either. Everyone else was very friendly. Eddie at the beach was always smiles and a great help. We still keep in contact with him, he is a wonderful guy.

The beach in front of the resort is the best. Ran to the end of beach both ways and it just can't be beat. We headed to Leeward to do some snorkeling and it was good. We took a picture with a star fish we found which I will attach. The water is spectacular.

Our best meal was at Somewhere on the Beach @ Coral Gardens. It was a great lunch and the price was wonderful. Carmen gave us excellent service and wonderful food. Great upper deck for sunset drink. Wish I would have visited here first and would have returned a couple of times during our 8 day stay. The Mango Reef was a good meal, we ate there 4 times. Coco Bistro was also good but very pricey. The bread there was really good.

Rented a scooter for a day at the Buggy place across from the graceway and had a great time. Went all around the island. The Northwest point was really not that nice at all. The area around chalk sound is beautiful. Went on a snorkeling cruise with Silver Deep it was ok would have been better if it had not rained.

All in all this was a wonderful trip and would go back to Turks in a heartbeat. I would also stay at the Royal West Indies again and eat at Somewhere on the Beach.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2009

We first came to RWI 2 years ago for our honeymoon. We stayed in a "garden view" room which wasn't terribly impressive but was good enough. We upgraded this time to an "ocean view" suite, but as another reviewer pointed out it's hardly worth it. I have a great view of the restaurant and pool, and can see a tiny sliver of the beautiful sea, but it's not really an ocean view. As another reviewer pointed out the mattress is pretty hard also. The room, while not a luxury suite, is nice though. It actually has a washer and dryer in the suite - a huge bonus! The room is clean, the a/c works well, I love having a full fridge (have been to enough resorts that don't provide you with refrigeration in an attempt to get you to spend more money at their bar). In summary, it's cute, and cozy. As long as you're not overly picky I think most people would be pleased with it.
The real draw here at RWI though is the prices. The restaurant, "The Mango Reef", has very good food, and prices are totally reasonable. There are not many bargains on Provo so it is really splendid to be staying in a place that doesn't hit you with the "hostage tax" on everything. That makes the stay much more enjoyable, at least to me, because I hate paying 200% markup on food and wine in other hotels for no apparently good reason. We both loved our meal at the Mango Reef. I had a wonderful tuna carpaccio, with a delicious paella loaded with mussels, chicken, shrimp, and sausage. The prices on wine here are better than most places I dine in San Francisco.
The beach is on Grace Bay and is just as nice as any other resort's beach on the same bay, so why go anywhere else? I admit that I am only staying here 3 nights before I head off to the posh Gansevoort, so I should take my own advice and stay here longer next time. It feels a little like Motel 6, but I like the more laid back feel to it, and as I've mentioned I love the prices. I'll be back again.

Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2009

Just got back from a fantastic stay at Royal West. My room was perfect - very clean, spacious, comfortable, and equipped with everything I needed for my stay. The full size fridge, microwave, and coffee pot were unexpected amenities, as were the dvd player and expanded cable (nice for watching Wimbledon when I wanted some down time). The hotel is located directly on a quiet part of Grace Bay beach and the staff were great about setting up beach chairs whenever I needed one. The two pools were also great -- one is deemed a "quiet zone" which is great for travelers trying to get away from noisy children which often dominate pools at other hotels. The staff was friendly and helpful in fulfilling every request I had. Snorkeling is not to be missed on this island, but it's a bit lackluster on the hotel's beach -- I'd rent a car (or take a cab) up to Smith Reef near Turtle Cove Marina for MUCH better scenery. All in all, this was a great resort and I'd definitely stay here again. It's significantly less expensive compared to a few of the hotels directly adjacent to the Royal West, and I can't imagine what else they could offer that would make it worth an additional $100 or $200 a night.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Tucson, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

Great little property, great value for the island (and not many bargains are to be found on Provo). I had unwisely chosen to pay more for an "ocean view" room - first given a first floor room in Bldg 2 looking at foliage, and then given a second floor room with about a foot of ocean view (I think 612). See picture. Great place, but I've relearned the rule to always buy the cheapest room at a great hotel, as usually paying more doesn't actually get you more.

Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Westerville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2009

My 19 yo daughter and I just returned. This place was great. The staff was so friendly and helpful. The landscaping is amazing and you can just feel the stress melting away while you are being taken to your room. We stayed in Building 4 on the 3rd floor, a bedroom/oceanview. It was spacious with a fridge/ microwave/ and stove. We loved the beds. So comfortable. The only negative was there was too much light (sunshine) in the morning :-).The hotel arranged for a taxi to take us to the IGA (w/liquor) when we arrived on Saturday. The IGA everyone talks about being w/in walking distance is at least a mile away (no booze) and in the heat? We quickly realized we needed a car for the rest of the week. However, Coco Bistro (restaurant) is w/in walking distance and it was wonderful. Expensive, but good. Mango Reef--the resort restaurant is also very good.
Wonderful place!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Been to Royal West Indies Resort? Share your experiences!