“Good value resort!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 44 hotels in Providenciales
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Good value resort!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed here (Room 211 The Queen Anne suite through VRBO) from 11/16-11/21. We had to cut our trip short due to a situation back home, but the time spent here was very nice. This actual unit was superb. It was so clean and had every amenity that you could need.It was decorated beautifully and the furniture was top notch. The bed was so incredibly comfortable. The resort itself is not very large which makes it easier to become familiar with.You can rent bikes for a two hour limit which is quite fun.We did rent a car( Grace Bay Car Rentals---great choice) which helped us get around everywhere and was cheaper than getting taxis daily. The grounds are impeccably kept and every single employee was friendly and helpful. The wonderful woman in charge of the landscaping was Hazel and when I tell you meeting her was a highlight, it truly was. She was a gem.She has friends in Pittsburgh for life. The bar and restaurant seemed to be quite busy all throughout the day. The beach is amazing, The water was unbelievable and the sand is just like powder. The island itself is quite expensive. While we were there we ate at Jimmys Dive Bar (good jerk wrap), Sharkbite (amazing grouper sandwich--ate here twice), Bella Luna (my favorite, authethentically Italian, pizzeria was incredible), Coco Bistro (great meal, wonderful experience), Caicos Cafe (not bad, good desserts), Smokeys (stay away, seriously stay away.), Mr. Groupers (great lunch). Pizza Pizza (good delivered pizza) We did shop for some groceries at the Graceway Gourmet, but once again the prices were crazy. This island offered for us relaxation and great dining primarily. Being from Pittsburgh we had a bit of a hard time adjusting to island time and the slower pace of everybody, but we adjusted as best we could. We took a look at some other resorts while biking and can honestly say that The Royal West Indies is just as nice as any of the others and may offer a better value. I would recommend this resort to anyone in a heartbeat.

1,318 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Turks and Caicos is a wonderful sun and water destination. Fine white sand beach and crystal clear, warm, turquoise waters with lots of water based activities available. It is, however, a pricey destination as most things must be imported. Relative to many of the other resorts/condhotels on the island, the Royal West Indies makes TCI a more affordable option. It is located on the far perimeter of the Grace Bay Village shopping area with its very well stocked grocery store, French bakery, restaurants and substantial shopping choices (including duty free). The grounds are lush and meticulously maintained. The staff very professional and warm. While suites could not be described as reflecting cutting edge , contemporary design, we found our suite (including the very handy kitchen facilities) to be well planned and furnished, spacious, sufficiently modern and spotlessly clean. The pools were very well maintained and, during our week long stay at least, never crowded. Only once was I unable to find a lounge chair. Beach staff are available to ensure that guests have lounge chairs and umbrellas. On most days, food and drinks were also available at the beach.
The Royal West Indies has a very relaxed, 'get away from it all' feel. No one is moving quickly. Guests are enjoying the sun, the water, a book, a cocktail, conversations with fellow guests and gorgeous sunsets. All in the midst of beautiful tropical plants, flowers and butterflies.
If there are negatives, those who want to stay connected at all times will find the WIFI frustrating. In our unit, it worked in the living room area but not the bedroom and access around the grounds was similarly unpredictable. Also, although we did not find it bothersome at all, there is a Club Med next door and, as you might expect, it is a much more active and party oriented resort with the sounds occasionally traveling. And if stairs are an issue, be sure to ask for a ground floor unit.
If you go, consider renting a car. Not because you'll be unable to walk to 'town' but because taxis are expensive and the island does offer lots of interesting restaurants and sightseeing opportunities a little farther afield.

Room Tip: The resort is laid out on a rectangular strip of property perpendicular to the beach. There are few...
Worcester, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Just came back from several days at RWI....what a great place and a great location. This was the first time we had stayed in TCI and we are thrilled that we chose this hotel. It was very quiet, great beach and the rooms were clean. The only negative, which is minor is that some of the staff was great, very friendly and helpful and others were not so much. It was funny there was nothing in between! Not a big deal but has to be mentioned. Otherwise I highly recommend this place and I will be coming back!

Room Tip: best value is the second floor rooms, they all have some type of view
new jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

we spent 7 nites nov 11th to 18th . in a ground floor end unit with full kitchen right next to the adults quiet pool. it was a real nice unit with all amenities. fast efficient check in and wonderful staff from top to bottom . grounds are kept spotless and beautiful . the restaurant was also very nice too. one of the most beautiful beaches we had ever walked on ran for a few miles each way too. all in all royal west indies resort was a top notch place to stay and we would return in a heart beat . semper fi

Room Tip: for more room then just a bed room. spend a few more dollars and get the 1 bed room corner room .
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

This was my 4th trip to Provo and my first stay at RWI resort. I had been to the resort once at night to dine at the Mango Reef in 2010 but that was the last time.

I booked here because I knew the location and that the place was good and affordable. That turned out to be accurate. I would stay here again depending on the circumstances.

The staff were very friendly and attentive even if the resort is dated and not very high tech. The place was quiet and clean and I was not there for a big blow out vacation. I slept in often and relished the quiet. (I must comment that I am not and never will be a sun worshiper).

The restaurant and bar were good, the fellow guests very friendly at the pool and at cocktail hours. The hotel staff (maids and desk folks) were also professional and helpful.

That being said, here are some things they can improve:

Our shower diverter did not work well, causing most of the water to go on our feet. We adapted by washing hair in the sink and taking a trickle shower with a towel on our heads but given the price, we should not have to deal with that. We did call and it was not fixed during out stay. The resort is old and the spigot to the tub was about to come out of the wall if you yanked on the diverter and it was caulked, so you know this has been an issue for others. Call a plumber please.

Several things were cracked, like the counter tops etc, and given that these appeared to be new upgrades, it must be the quality of the materials. This is not a deal breaker but does not give the best to the customers.

The porches were not screened in as other ones have been. With the amount of vegetation on the property, the bugs were bad, so screens may have helped substantially. The first visit I had to the Turks was at the Sands, and those were screened in porches.

My biggest (but still relatively minor) beef was that the check in desk PC had no printer. Really? In this day and age, you should be able to print out your boarding pass. Since my phone was turned off, I did not have a boarding pass to refer to for our departure. Again, not a deal breaker but annoying.

We were at the back of the resort and had to walk to the beach just to get a towel. That's not customer centric.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

We stayed from 10/26-11/08 and this was our third trip to Provo and second to RWI. This time we spent 8 nights in an ocean-view 1 bedroom (third floor) and a botanical 1 bedroom for 5 nights (second floor). The view for each room category was spectacular. The rooms were clean and spacious. The bed is so comfortable and house-keeping does a nice job every day. Everyone is very friendly. We had a few maintenance issues throughout our stay that were fixed immediately. We didn't experience any issues with requesting additional towels from the pool/beach guys. The landscaping is incredible and this is why we keep returning to RWI. The tropical vegetation, best stretch of Grace Bay beach, and this smaller resort compared to the other concrete jungles makes for a perfect and relaxing holiday. At night you will hear the music of Club Med which might be bothersome to some but we didn't mind it at all. We are looking forward to our next trip booked for May 2014!

Room Tip: Second floor for shade and cover from the rain.
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

My wife and I spent a week there the end of October, beginning of November. It was our first trip to Provo. The resort grounds are beautiful and well kept. There seemed to be someone always trimming, cutting, pruning the grounds.
We arrived about 2 pm and our room was not ready. Other people came in around the same time as us and had their rooms ready so I guess it's the luck of the draw. We had about 45 minutes to kill so after we drank our complimentary rum punch drink we just wandered around the grounds and beach.
We had a studio in building 7 which overlooked the quiet pool. Oceanfront would be nice but unless you get a great deal, I'd question the extra expense. The staff was pleasant always saying hi when walking by. Our room was cleaned daily with fresh towels etc.
I did have a couple nit picks with the front desk. I asked them for change so I could get $1's for tipping but they had no change or would not make change. I believe the later as she never even looked in her drawer. Also there is no printer for the lobby computer. I found this odd as I'm so used to traveling for business and printing out my boarding pass.
We also had an issue with the tub draining, as in it wouldn't. We called and maintenance came right up and took care of it. My last nit pick is the beach staff seemed to be very protective of their towels. We had to beg to get 2 towels each.

We rented a car which I would recommend. We saw too many people walking/biking to the grocery store which is not that close especially on the way back with bags. In addition, it provided us the freedom to explore the island and eat at different restaurants.
We walked up and down the beach and it seemed RWI clearly had the most people. People in front of some of the other resorts seemed to have their beach to themselves. I could only speculate that RWI was a better value.
Must go to happy hour and cozy up with Premy. He'll take care of you. It is the best bargain on the island.
We happened to be there during an owner's meeting week so a lot of the people we met were owner's. All of them were extremely nice and welcoming.
Overall this place is beautiful. I would recommend it and we would bo back.

Room Tip: Quiet pool area is that quiet. We met a couple that was in bldg 3 that could hear music from Club Me...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal West Indies Resort? Share your experiences!