“great stay at royal west indies” 5 of 5 stars

Royal West Indies Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Grace Bay, PO Box 482, Providenciales   |
Ranked #20 of 44 hotels in Providenciales
new jersey
“great stay at royal west indies”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

we spent 7 nites nov 11th to 18th . in a ground floor end unit with full kitchen right next to the adults quiet pool. it was a real nice unit with all amenities. fast efficient check in and wonderful staff from top to bottom . grounds are kept spotless and beautiful . the restaurant was also very nice too. one of the most beautiful beaches we had ever walked on ran for a few miles each way too. all in all royal west indies resort was a top notch place to stay and we would return in a heart beat . semper fi

Room Tip: for more room then just a bed room. spend a few more dollars and get the 1 bed room corner room .

1,222 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

This was my 4th trip to Provo and my first stay at RWI resort. I had been to the resort once at night to dine at the Mango Reef in 2010 but that was the last time.

I booked here because I knew the location and that the place was good and affordable. That turned out to be accurate. I would stay here again depending on the circumstances.

The staff were very friendly and attentive even if the resort is dated and not very high tech. The place was quiet and clean and I was not there for a big blow out vacation. I slept in often and relished the quiet. (I must comment that I am not and never will be a sun worshiper).

The restaurant and bar were good, the fellow guests very friendly at the pool and at cocktail hours. The hotel staff (maids and desk folks) were also professional and helpful.

That being said, here are some things they can improve:

Our shower diverter did not work well, causing most of the water to go on our feet. We adapted by washing hair in the sink and taking a trickle shower with a towel on our heads but given the price, we should not have to deal with that. We did call and it was not fixed during out stay. The resort is old and the spigot to the tub was about to come out of the wall if you yanked on the diverter and it was caulked, so you know this has been an issue for others. Call a plumber please.

Several things were cracked, like the counter tops etc, and given that these appeared to be new upgrades, it must be the quality of the materials. This is not a deal breaker but does not give the best to the customers.

The porches were not screened in as other ones have been. With the amount of vegetation on the property, the bugs were bad, so screens may have helped substantially. The first visit I had to the Turks was at the Sands, and those were screened in porches.

My biggest (but still relatively minor) beef was that the check in desk PC had no printer. Really? In this day and age, you should be able to print out your boarding pass. Since my phone was turned off, I did not have a boarding pass to refer to for our departure. Again, not a deal breaker but annoying.

We were at the back of the resort and had to walk to the beach just to get a towel. That's not customer centric.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

We stayed from 10/26-11/08 and this was our third trip to Provo and second to RWI. This time we spent 8 nights in an ocean-view 1 bedroom (third floor) and a botanical 1 bedroom for 5 nights (second floor). The view for each room category was spectacular. The rooms were clean and spacious. The bed is so comfortable and house-keeping does a nice job every day. Everyone is very friendly. We had a few maintenance issues throughout our stay that were fixed immediately. We didn't experience any issues with requesting additional towels from the pool/beach guys. The landscaping is incredible and this is why we keep returning to RWI. The tropical vegetation, best stretch of Grace Bay beach, and this smaller resort compared to the other concrete jungles makes for a perfect and relaxing holiday. At night you will hear the music of Club Med which might be bothersome to some but we didn't mind it at all. We are looking forward to our next trip booked for May 2014!

Room Tip: Second floor for shade and cover from the rain.
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

My wife and I spent a week there the end of October, beginning of November. It was our first trip to Provo. The resort grounds are beautiful and well kept. There seemed to be someone always trimming, cutting, pruning the grounds.
We arrived about 2 pm and our room was not ready. Other people came in around the same time as us and had their rooms ready so I guess it's the luck of the draw. We had about 45 minutes to kill so after we drank our complimentary rum punch drink we just wandered around the grounds and beach.
We had a studio in building 7 which overlooked the quiet pool. Oceanfront would be nice but unless you get a great deal, I'd question the extra expense. The staff was pleasant always saying hi when walking by. Our room was cleaned daily with fresh towels etc.
I did have a couple nit picks with the front desk. I asked them for change so I could get $1's for tipping but they had no change or would not make change. I believe the later as she never even looked in her drawer. Also there is no printer for the lobby computer. I found this odd as I'm so used to traveling for business and printing out my boarding pass.
We also had an issue with the tub draining, as in it wouldn't. We called and maintenance came right up and took care of it. My last nit pick is the beach staff seemed to be very protective of their towels. We had to beg to get 2 towels each.

We rented a car which I would recommend. We saw too many people walking/biking to the grocery store which is not that close especially on the way back with bags. In addition, it provided us the freedom to explore the island and eat at different restaurants.
We walked up and down the beach and it seemed RWI clearly had the most people. People in front of some of the other resorts seemed to have their beach to themselves. I could only speculate that RWI was a better value.
Must go to happy hour and cozy up with Premy. He'll take care of you. It is the best bargain on the island.
We happened to be there during an owner's meeting week so a lot of the people we met were owner's. All of them were extremely nice and welcoming.
Overall this place is beautiful. I would recommend it and we would bo back.

Room Tip: Quiet pool area is that quiet. We met a couple that was in bldg 3 that could hear music from Club Me...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Merrimack, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

This was our third trip to Provo, first staying at RWI. I had read in previous reviews about building 2, and it's views of the ocean from the 2nd and 3rd floors. We were lucky enough to get the 2nd floor, smack dab in the middle if the floor, for an ocean view.

The staff was very pleasant, from the front desk, to Ronald who gave us an explanation of the grounds while delivering our bags to the room, the lovely cleaning staff, the grounds keepers, beach/ pool staff, the bar tenders ( Mario and company), and the restaurant staff. Everyone was very cordial, helpful, always had a smile, and you could tell that they were proud of what the did for a daily task.

The grounds are lush, and well kept. The beach was wide, and beautiful. There was no over aggressive, saving of lounges, because there were plenty to go around.

This was by far a much needed relaxing vacation, and the RWI staff, accommodated! I would highly recommend anyone staying here.

• Stayed November 2013
Syracuse, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

My husband and I spent a week here in a "Botanical View" studio; This is a long, narrow
property and all balconies face the pools and garden, and/or ocean with a lovely
view so you can't go wrong. If you choose this room type, ask for third floor and you
may have a little bit of ocean as well - esp for Building 8. Balconies are spacious with
table, chairs and lounger; The biggest problem with the studios is that they don't have a
stove top, so you have to get creative as a microwave/toaster gourmet to some extent if
you hope to control your food costs on Provo at all. (I believe there is a full kitchen in
the 1BR+ units); Throw some easy breakfast/lunch items into your luggage like
bagels, peanut butter, jam, canned tuna, salsa and you'll thank yourself once you see
the prices at the local grocery store. (Lucky Charms, $8/box, crackers $7, 2 liter
7-up $4, Ragu $5.50 - you'll see what I mean); The taxi from the airport to the hotel was also $40 for two, $80 round trip so compared to other islands we've been to, we found tourist life here rather expensive in general.

The pools and grounds are beautiful, as well as the beach; This is a very quiet place, even at the bar/pool area where I thought a little music during the day would be nice; Lots of older people around too, but maybe its because its low season; Beach staff is great and the free kayak, sailboat, snorkel equipment are a nice touch; Ocean itself is good swimming, but the depth drops off fairly quickly so keep an eye on your swimmers. If the wind whips up, there are very large waves at this part of the cove also; (on those days, maybe better to head south to Long Bay beach, about 2 miles away).

Location - things on Provo are very spread out and not what I'd call "cozy" at first glance. The free bikes at the hotel are handy, or you can walk about a 2/3 mile to town center (with sidewalk and lighting) for some shops, restaurants and bars; Everything is relative though, and after seeing the beach areas for other hotels like Alexandria/Coral Gardens I was happy with our proximity to things and the comparatively large expanses of beach we got to enjoy; We rented a scooter for a couple days too, and that enabled us to investigate other parts of the island as well.

Overall - a great stay and the ocean really IS that color turquoise! Beautiful to behold.

Room Tip: Botanical view studio is very nice and I'd do that again; Ask for the high floor and you may al...
Bolton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

This was our second visit to this property and plan to go back. The location on Grace Bay is perfect. It is close to town, shopping and restaurants. Suggest if you can afford, book Block #1 beachfront as the view is beautiful. We usually book by calling the hotel directly and requesting what we want. I find that sometimes on line not all the options pop up so to be sure of getting what you want, we found it best to contact the hotel directly. The water on Grace Bay is crystal clear and most times like a pool and the colour of the water is just amazing. The Island is very safe and you can walk at any time day or night and not be bothered. We have always found the staff to be friendly and helpful. We have been to many islands but the beaches here far out beat the others. If you are looking for a relaxing vacation, this is the place to come, it is mostly a quiet island with limited night life. There is a casino and a few places in town to have a drink and listen to music and I believe there are two golf courses. There are boat cruises you can go on depending on what you want to do and of course a lot of water sports.
We found that many people we met in Provinciales were people that visited year after year and that alone says it all. I know we will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Block #1 beachfront 2nd and 3rd. floor have the best views.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Been to Royal West Indies Resort? Share your experiences!