“The Best Vacation Stay We've Ever Had” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Royal West Indies Resort to your Saves list
Ranked #24 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Escazú, San Jose, Costa Rica
“The Best Vacation Stay We've Ever Had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

My wife and I just had our "Babymoon" (vacation before our baby arrives in 2 months) in Turks & Caicos and it was amazing, and a big part of that is because of the Royal West Indies.

First off, the value for the price is insane. It's right on a beautiful part of the beach and there are also pools if you want to take a break. It's quiet and serene. As with any place in T&C though, I'd recommend getting a rental car since it's pretty spread out.

We had a studio, but it was more than enough room. Love the layout, complete with a mini-kitchen so we could make our own breakfasts (since everything in T&C is so spread out and restaurants are expensive this is a good idea, FYI) and the bed was so incredibly comfortable. My wife is 7 months pregnant and is never comfy, but on the bed in our RWI room she was in heaven.

The staff are incredible, super nice, super approachable.

The only possible thing I could complain about is that since we were on the bottom floor, we could hear the people in the room above us, so the ceilings are not super thick, but that's not a big issue really. We never had trouble sleeping or anything.

One note vacationers - the shower and tap water in T&C is basically just salt water with no salt, so make sure you buy lots and lots of bottled water (and Turks Head lager, obviously).

Room Tip: The rooms basically all look the same from what we saw, but we got an ocean view room and even thoug...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Incredibly solid 4 stars (4.5, if it were allowed) – completely happy and at ease for our entire 7-night stay here - I'd like to give it 5 stars, but I'm a hard marker – 5 is pretty much reserved for transcendent/perfect for me.

First and foremost, I will say that I sense it’s pretty hard to go wrong on this island – T&C struck us as the one of - if not THE - loveliest Caribbean island we've been to. The people are incredibly hospitable and welcoming.

The positives here are numerous – friendly, incredibly helpful staff and a great location – easy to walk or bike to town for shopping or numerous restaurants (RWI offers free bike rentals – it’s an easy 5-10 minute ride to town). Not to mention great beach location (hard not to have on 11 mile long Grace Bay) – but the hotel offers ample area on a beautiful stretch of beach. The grounds are lovely – welcoming and impeccably maintained. A couple of pool options as well (decent, though a bit small). Very good restaurant with an incredibly generous happy hour :-).

Our "studio" room was plenty spacious, with a cute outdoor porch with table and chairs. Bed was king-sized and incredibly comfy. Room service prompt and generally thorough (I know its hard with all that sand)

Finally, one of the primary benefits of RWI - I'd guess that this place offers one of the best values you can find on the island – it certainly felt like we were staying at a luxury option (and I've stayed at "luxury" resorts that weren't this nice), whereas the prices we saw online and ultimately booked at were incredibly reasonable compared to other Provo options - so much so that we questioned if we were getting snookered into a subpar option. We wound up visiting for dinner or walking by a number of these other nearby places and really couldn't see a discernible difference in quality.

My quibbles were quite minor – I'd like to see more beach activity/equipment options. There were only 2 kayaks – they were often both out, and when we took them out, felt a bit rushed as we knew people might be waiting. Many of the other hotels nearby also offered their own stand-up paddleboards, which I've been dying to try, but not available here. For most of the activities listed on their website, you have to go through an outside vendor. Not uncommon or particularly galling (they have a dedicated activities desk that will arrange things for you), but on cursory review, other places may offer more on-site options, if that's important to you. Finally, while many of the other resorts leave their beach chairs out all night, the staff is pretty quick to clear RWI's beach chairs off the beach immediately at sunset. Personally, I like sitting on the beach at night with a drink, listening to the waves, and if felt as if we weren't exactly encouraged to do so.

Overall, though, we had a wonderful, relaxing time here. When we return to a destination, we generally like to try a different spot for a different experience, but I believe we would likely stay here again if we are fortunate enough to visit T&C again.

Mount Shasta, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Royal West Indies was fabulous!! The staff was awesome, food and drinks excellent. Room was perfect!!! Nice and relaxing, quiet and peaceful.....great place to "get away from it all". Not crowded and had the beach mostly to ourselves. I cannot wait to go back!!!!

St Paul, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Just spent 8 days at RWI Resort - fantastic resort, very well maintained, friendly staff. Choose the larger rooms, well worth it. Full kitchen, dining area, living room with pull out bed, large balcony, full bath, separate bedroom clothes washer/dryer (we came home with all clean clothes - no mounds of laundry when we arrived home!!). There is a difference between oceanview and oceanfront rooms. Not a big deal, it's a couple minute walk to the beach/ocean from anywhere on the resort. Resort has 8 buildings, 18 rooms in each buiding. 3 pools, and hot tub.
Happy hour each day was fun to meet your neighbors. Rent a car and go explore the island. Grocery store is about 15 min walk / 2 minute drive away. Everything on this island is expensive, so be prepared to spend more than usual.
Large, clean beach area with beach umbrellas and lounge chairs, crystal clear water.
Definitely go to Ms Moonies, Mr Groupers, Danny Bouys, and Jimmy's Dive Bar for food and drink. Many other restaurants to choose from.
Will go back.

Room Tip: Corner suites are much larger than interior rooms.
Lancaster TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

The Royal West Indies Resort was comfortable and clean and quiet. My husband and I were celebrating 12 years of marriage and wanted lots of down time on this vacation. Housekeeping was superb, front desk staff was very friendly, the beach was beautiful and quiet. Not crowded at all, although we were visiting during the low season. Having access to free bicycles at the hotel made getting around very easy without a taxi for short distances. We used the bikes to go to the IGA grocery store which was very nice but also very expensive (as expected). We explored the shopping centers on the bicycles and just rode up and down the street to explore the neighborhood. Our room had a kitchenette but no stove which was kind of a downer. I guess I did not read the room description thoroughly :-). Our room was in building #2 and we had an ocean view, however if you want a fully unobstructed, directly on the beach ocean view, ask for a room in building #1.

Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

This resort is just an ordinary property. Customer service is lacking and I would not stay here again. I had reserved a room with an "ocean view". I was first given a room that was 5 buildings away from the ocean - the sea looked like a postage stamp. The front desk supervisor insisted that it was an "ocean view". It was only when I insisted and told her I was leaving, that she moved me to a room that was 2 buildings from the beach - this one with a queen sized bed instead of a king-sized one. I stayed for 2 nights and the room was not cleaned the second day - when I asked about it , housekeeping showed up and I asked them to clean the bath - they just took the dirty towels away and did not even leave a bathmat. The second night it rained and the parking lot was in 4 inches of water - with no help from the staff. I had to pay one of the workers to get my rental car out of the parking lot - when leaving I was not greeted or thanked for my stay... oh, I forgot, I had pre-paid my room through hotels.com but was presented a bill when leaving. It was only when I insisted that the stay was pre-paid that they acknowledged the mistake - again without any apologies for their actions. Customer service is virtually non-existent at this hotel - they just make do with the minimum.

Room Tip: Insist on getting a room close to the beach - the hotel will try to keep you as far away as possible...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

I can't say enough about the time we had here (2-6). My wife and I wanted to come back to grace bay since being here twice before but did not want to pay a lot like before. I kept researching different resorts for price and reviews and found this gem! If u want comfort ,good food and all around great value this is it! When I say this, I mean this in relationship to the costs of turks and cacois. By no means this island is cheap but in our eyes this beauty is like no other! Our third time and still in awe with the beach and water(been traveling exclusive in the caribbean) and this is greatest of all of them. The sand is like talcum powder and the water mesmerizing. This is our first time not picking and all inclusive resort (only 2 on the island) soo we very skeptical about service, comfort and the final bill when all said and done. Yes we gambled with hurricane season upon us but paid off in volume , the resort was empty and received a 3rd floor wrap around balcony. They have a full restaurant and bar,because of low season 2-4-1 happy hour 3-7. We ate dinner 3 nights of our trip there with total smiles on our faces eating fresh caught fish daily from the ocean ,great drinks and attentive waiters. There are other restaurants all over the island known for great food but (once again $$$$) but for price, convenience and all around great time this is the pelican bay restaurant. The view from our balcony was priceless, we would watch the sunset every evening from there and was surprised the refrigerator had a complimentary bottle of champagne to celebrate my birthday. In our opinion this resort cannot improve much more! If your looking for the total package this probably is it, but it might have to come in hurricane season. My name is suntanden, and beware I got burnt and its October.

• Stayed October 2013

Been to Royal West Indies Resort? Share your experiences!