“Great resort at affordable prices” 5 of 5 stars

Royal West Indies Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Grace Bay, PO Box 482, Providenciales   |
Ranked #23 of 44 hotels in Providenciales
Paris
“Great resort at affordable prices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

My wife and I stayed 8 nights at the Royal West Indies and it exceeded our expectations. Turks and Caicos has some really expensive resorts (liked more than $1000 per night per couple) so I think this hotel prices are very reasonable while still providing a "beach luxury experience" (that is, nice beds, good furniture, spacious rooms, beach chairs and umbrellas, good resort restaurant, etc) at a great location (right on the Grace Bay beach and close to a good supermarket). Maybe some people what marble floors or crystal chandeliers, but I don't see why look for that at a Caribbean beach.
We ate twice and the hotel restaurant and found the food reasonably good and priced.
Hotel staff was very nice and the room was properly cleaned daily.
One recommendation: rent a car, no matter where you stay in Turks and Caicos, so that you can go visit different beaches and try different restaurants. Otherwise you will likely see little more than your hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

1,287 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I just met up with some girlfriends for a long weekend in Providenciales and we stayed at the Royal West Indies (selected after reading other reviews on Tripadvisor). My overall impression of the resort is that the grounds are gorgeous and the rooms are bright and clean and airy--basically as advertised or maybe better. There were three of us sharing a one bedroom ocean view suite in building five. The one bedroom suites are all corner rooms with wrap-around balconies. From building five we did have a nice view of both the grounds and the adult-only swimming pool and the ocean, but I think only buildings one and two are actually "ocean front" views. As for the room, the free wireless was easy and worked well and everything was in good working order, although we didn't actually do much cooking so I can't vouch for the kitchen appliances.

Because we were just there for a long weekend we primarily ate in the restaurant--we didn't have a car and it was actually just too hot to contemplate biking to the grocery store. The breakfast options at the restaurant were not crazy expensive and were very good. Dinner was pretty overpriced for the quality, which many other reviewers have pointed out. Yes, overall, food and alcohol are all expensive. The bar has a nice two-for-one happy hour and the bartenders were great. In fact all the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful. The bar is happy to put drinks in plastic cups so that you take them down to the beach.

The beach area itself is absolutely stunning--the resort is located toward the end of Grace Bay and next to Club Med, but it wasn't the least bit crowded. The sand is powdery white, the water is crystal clear with no waves--it's like a swimming pool. We tried out the snorkeling equipment available to guests but there wasn't too much to see in the water in front by the resort. There are very good snorkeling options further down Grace Bay, which we would have pursued if we had had more time. We had no problem getting loungers and umbrellas every day, even after lingering over a late breakfast.

I would love to come back and bring my husband and seven year old son and stay longer. I would rent a car and do more cooking for a longer stay. There weren't a lot of kids at the resort (pools were practically deserted but the beach was so spectacular I can understand why) but there were a few kids and I think my son would love it. There are plenty of activities on the island for those who like to go, go, go so I think it would work well for a family vacation.

Overall, really nice little resort that was quite affordable.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in buildings 1 or 2 if you want a straight-on ocean view. Honestly though, the gr...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

i traveled with my niece for a five-day stay as her graduation gift. We stayed in a studio condo in Building 7. The room was clean; housekeeping did a great job. I wish we had gotten a one-bedroom so that we could have had a stove, but the full size refrigerator was great. Since it's on Grace Bay there's nothing bad about the location.

We used the bikes a couple of times, and I was worried that something might fall off of it on the way to the grocery. I think these should definitely be upgraded since it puts a face on the property. It would be a minimal expense.

I enjoyed having the free kayaks, etc. available. I was hoping for someone to give us sailing lessons so we could take out the Hobie Cat, but that wasn't available. We would have loved some inner tubes floats to be available for guests. We brought two inner tubes with us but one had a hole in it (right out of the packaging), so we took turns.

We enjoyed the bar but were disappointed when the advertised live musical entertainment didn't show up that evening. The 2/1 happy hour was great and they served many "fun" drinks. The food was good. We had a pizza the evening we arrived and then burgers etc at the beach one day for lunch.

All in all it was an excellent trip, but I probably should have found someplace livelier for my teen-aged niece. (It was perfect for me, though!)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We booked our stay at the Royal West Indies (RWI) because we specifically wanted a place that had direct access to the beach but would be smaller and quieter than one of the major resorts. We had no need of exercise equipment, activities for children, swim up bars, on-site spas, water slides, etc. The RWI ended up being just what we expected and wanted. The resort provides very good basic/modest accommodation and has a great beach but it is far from being a 5 star full service resort or hotel. It’s probably not even 4 star, if that’s what you are looking for you will be disappointed. If you’re looking for active nightlife and bar scene the RWI is also not the place for you.

The RWI is an 8 building complex of 3 story walk-up condos. I’m going to estimate that each building has around 15 condos, give or take. FYI, I don’t believe any of the buildings have elevators. The units are privately owned condos which I assume the owners put into a rental pool. We had a one bedroom unit on the main floor with pull out sofa in Building 3. Building 1 is the closest to the beach with Building 8 the farthest. With the exception of Building 1, I’m going to say none of the other buildings have what I would consider an ocean view worth paying a premium for. All the units should be self contained condos with full kitchen and in-unit washer and dryers. Since the units are privately owned, I’m going to assume the furnishings and level of upkeep may slightly vary from unit to unit. The comments we have about our unit are:

1. It’s time to replace the shower curtain hooks and shower curtain inside liner. The inner liner was starting to show mold and mildew. It’s a pretty cheap item to replace on a regular basis.

2. The bathroom light fixture needs to be cleaned.

3. The bathroom tile grout is starting to show a bit of mold and mildew. I’m fussy about this and housekeeping needs to watch out for this.

4. The TV in the bedroom was the old style tube type. It's time to upgrade to a flat screen, they are not that expensive anymore. The TV in the living room was a flat screen.

The people that worked the resort were all very nice and accommodating. The front desk even called the day of our check-out to see if we needed a taxi or help with our luggage. We had a “very good” stay at the RWI. Fix the 4 items that we mention above and it becomes an ”excellent" stay.

This was our first time in the TCI and we have a few comments regarding the "Provo" area:

1. They (the Government) should hire a couple of people to pick up garbage and empty bottles along the major road ways. It's such a beautiful place, please clean it up a bit.

2. Please do something about the wild dogs roaming the beach area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

Just got back from another stay at the Royal West Indies. And it did not disappoint. This has to be the best hotel for its price. It has everything you need in the condo style rooms. The hotel staff are all very friendly, from Mario the bartender to Eddy & Virgilous who work the beach.
We have recommended this hotel to family & friends as well & we all agree, no better place to stay on the island.
We will be returning again next year!!!

• Stayed August 2013
East Rockaway, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

My wife and I just completed our second stay at Royal West Indies Resort in TCI and we cannot wait to go back again next year. We have traveled to a lot of Caribbean islands, but the water in TCI and the beaches are the best! Along with an incredibly relaxing setting and unbelievably attentive crew at RWI, we enjoy some of the best dining in beautiful settings. Walking from the room to the beach in less than 3 minutes is also a plus. Thanks to Derek, Premy, Lenny, Steve, Jacko and Markenson in the Pelican Bay Restaurant and Bar. Having workers who always smile and greet you warmly is great business! Keep up the great job!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

First I will say I am not one to write a review, but I always read them while planning a vacation. Despite some of the negative reviews (because you can't please everyone) I still chose this property. We arrived on Sunday the front desk did not appear to be welcoming at all barely smiled, and barely talked. Our bellman was great very informative and pleasant. We were taken to our room which was filled with tiny bugs all throughout the room, counter, walls, closets, bathroom and sink area VERY DISAPPOINTED about that. We called the front desk to report the problem and she stated she would send someone up to fix it. My husband (who NEVER complains about ANYTHING) stated no we would prefer another room. After the front desk clerk made several phone calls to someone she moved us to another room. We went to out newly assigned room it was much better. Now off to the Pelician Bay Restaurant on our first night we asked the waiter what was the service fee and did that include his tip he stated" NO", so we asked what was it and he said that's a fee for everyone to SHARE at the end of the month????? so now I am confused it is your tip but you want more ....ok we paid the bill and added more so he could have a bigger tip (even though the service was not good) were on vacation so no worries... The next morning we went back to the restaurant for breakfast we were the only ones there and the wait was ridiculous, we had to ask for napkins every time and also had to ask on several occasions for water refills ( we were the only ones there). We paid our check and noticed from the night before they don't give you coin change back they just TAKE IT ( so if your bill is 35.42 they charge you 36.00) who does this? If you take coins from every bill that is endless money they are making/taking). We went to the happy hour (5-7)at the bar and arrived at 635pm We placed our order and found seats. It was 650pm and we had to search for someone to take our additional order we finally got the attention of the waiter (same one who we asked about the service charge) who took our order and walked around making other guest drinks and finally sent ours over at 715. When the bill arrived they charged us regular prices instead of happy hour prices and stated we ordered the last drink at 705pm (mind you we placed the order at 650) but they purposely didn't bring it to us until after 7pm. Well we are on vacation so no worries, we just will not be returning to this property. Housekeeping was great and the grounds were BEAUTIFUL. The beach was AMAZING as well. There is not a lot to do here so if you are looking for peace and relaxation this is the island to be on but if your looking for entertainment go some where else. Mama's at the peir ports was your best shop for discounts and a friendly smile. The CoCo Lounge was great customer service was the Best and the atmosphere was just right. If your looking for just AVERAGE than Royal West Indies is your place if you Expect more out of your vacation as far as service and amenities then go somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Royal West Indies Resort? Share your experiences!