“Nice but very expensive..” 3 of 5 stars

Royal West Indies Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Grace Bay, PO Box 482, Providenciales   |
Ranked #20 of 44 hotels in Providenciales
Edison, New Jersey
“Nice but very expensive..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

My family and I visited this hotel the first week of July. Overall, the hotel was nice although a bit dated and small. The beach on the other hand, was just beautiful... Super clean and clear. One of the best I have ever seen.
The island on the other hand, is very expensive. Food, licor, transportation, amenities. Everything is just outresgly priced. More than any other Caribbean island that I have visited.
Food at the Pelican Bay was OK....but the staff was superb. Everyone was friendly and always helpful with everything we needed. We visited the shopping area as well as the supermarket, which by the way, was very well supplied but expensive.
No much going on at the hotel. No gym, no spa, no gift shop, no children activities. Important if you are bringing your kids with you. Trust me. They will get bored...
There is a casino very close by. Small but sufficient. Free drinks if you play

• Stayed July 2013

1,222 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed in the West Royal Indies Resort in Turk & Caicos from April 22-April 27. We stayed in Building #2. We found the hotel very comfortable and the grounds well maintained. I absolutely loved the beach and proximity to water. The view from our hotel was very nice, we were able to see the ocean, although next time we would opt for building # 1. My other observations were as follows:
1) We found the front desk to be helpful and courteous; I think some negative opinions are exaggerated.
2) The hotel room was equipped with a fridge and sink; which was very helpful, plus all kitchen dishes and accessories that you need.
3) The hotel’s restaurant and bar was really mediocre; the service was slow and food was very average. Drinks were subpar and expensive.
4) The hotel’s lobby is equipped with a computer, but there is no printer. At least I did not see one. Wi-fi in our room did not work very well.
5) The hotel has a pool, but we did not try it.
6) The hotel is located near some really great restaurants, such as Coco Bistro (make sure you try it!) and Coyaba. We also walked to Hemingway’s; too bad it was really far, because it was one of our favorite places.
7) There was a long walk or a bike ride to the grocery store, which is very expensive (think Whole Foods twice the prices).
8) The grounds are well maintained and everyone was very helpful. Special thanks to Eddy for cleaning our conches.
Overall, I think this is a nice resort. However, if you are looking for a luxurious hotel with spa and gym this is not a place for you, but if you are looking for a value, you should give it a try.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

I stayed here for business and had a "garden view" unit. I only stayed here for a few days but very much enjoyed my stay. Rooms are very nice and modern. My unit had a nice sized fridge and microwave as well as plates/cutlery/etc. There is a large LCD TV which was great. Internet was fast. I cant think of anything I did not like ; I was even offered a glass of fruit punch when checking in. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Los Gatos, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stayed at Royal West Indies for the week of the 4th of July. I agree with most of the other reviews that the resort is beautiful, peaceful, and the rooms are comfortable. We had a botanic 1 bedroom suite in building 8 (back of the property, by the quiet pool), on the ground floor. You can probably get much better views from the 3rd floor units, but we really appreciated to be able to sit outside on our patio even when it rained, and have shelter from the hot sun.

I wanted to highlight here what a great 4th of July beach party this resort has put up! It was fantastic! The delicious food (had the best BBQ ribs!), great music, tiki torches in the sand, bonfire, and view of multiple fireworks along Grace Bay made it a super fun evening for us.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Abbotsford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We enjoyed twelve nights at the Royal West Indies resort on Provo. We found the property to be spacious, comfortable and a great place to stay. We rented a one bedroom suite because we wanted the full kitchen but we were very happy with the space of the bedroom and living area as well. We stayed in Building #2 just off the beach but had a nice view of the beach and pool area. We found the staff to be very helpful, the lady at the consierge desk helped us arrange a day of snorkeling which was the highlight of the trip. The bikes could use some maintenance but they got us around alright. The grocery store is only about a 10 minute bike ride away. The beach in front of RWI was beautiful, the water cool enough to be refreshing but warm enough to be in all day. Be careful of the sun though, it's very intense.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 231, it was an end unit with a large wrap around deck and a nice view but a little...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We did a lot of research on where to say before deciding on the Royal West Indies. Hands down, this is the most beautiful, well kept property. The staff are fabulous. The rooms were very well decorated, very clean, and comfortable. We stayed in bldg 5. The pools are beautiful and relaxing. The grounds are meticulously maintained. The gardens are just simply beautiful. Everywhere you turn, there is a beauty in the plants, flowers, palm trees. The on site dining is very good. Happy hour at the bar (2 for 1) is a good deal each day. Eating is very expensive on the island, no matter where you go. We bought some groceries for breakfast and lunches. A six pack of beer is $18 at the grocery store. It is what it is! Pack your own or just plan to splurge. My husband and I enjoyed a very lovely dinner at Grace Bay Club next door - dinner was $200 (one glass of wine) the before dinner cocktails (one beer and one glass of wine) was around $30. All restaraunts charge an 11% food tax PLUS a 10% service charge. I was never really clear if that was considered a 'tip' or not, so we always tipped on top of that. This makes eating out and drinking expensive. BUT, it's vacation, so just deal with it. If you like to party or shop this is not the island for you. If you like to snorkel, relax, kayak, walk the beach, be outdoors, this is your paradise. I highly recommend Provo Ponies as well. Horseback riding on the beach was my favorite excursion. Can't wait to go back. We will stay at the Royal West Indies on our next stay when we bring our children. Can't say enough good things.

Room Tip: I really don't think there is a bad room in this place. We had a garden/pool view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I had a short visit to the resort from July 8-11, 2013 but I have to say it was a wonderful stay. It rained a lot, Hurricane Chantal was making her way over the islands, but even with that said, the sun was shining for most of my stay.

The grounds are lush and green, and very clean. Every morning you see men and women tending to the grounds, cutting grass, cutting dead branches off trees and flower bushes. They work very hard and are extremely friendly.

I had a studio suite overlooking the quiet pools, up on the third floor. The room was clean and the furniture tasteful. I had access to a large balcony with chairs and table and lounger.
The only thing I wasn't too fond of, was the fact that I couldn't sit out on the balcony when it rained because it is not covered. Water flow in the shower was great the first day, but after that, was lacking. I could still wash my hair, but it would take longer to get the soap out.

I spent a lot of time at the restaurant/bar. I had the conch salad and I have to say the taste was a bit overpowering but good nonetheless. The ribs were also very good. Pelican Bay restaurant won the island rib cook-off and rightly so. But I have to say my favorite meal was the conch fritters. They are little balls of cheese, conch and bits of veggies that I assume are fried lightly. They come with a spicy mayo in which you can dip them. My second favorite meal was the jerk chicken wrap. Though the sandwich itself was small, it packed a good punch and was very filling. The fries were delicious.

The drinks from the bar was really good but very strong. My favorite one was the mojito. Cuba still has the best mojitos, but for another Caribbean island, they were really good. Every night they have a 2-4-1 Happy Hour from 5-7. It is the best way to meet people.

I went there my first night and met a lovely lady known as Miss Joan. She is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to the island, the resort and the workers on the resort. She introduced me to many of the locals and put me in touch with a lot of interesting and very nice people.

Shoutouts go to Premy, Marcus and Mario at the bar. If you are not sure what you want to drink, just tell them this: make me what you think I should have,and they will come up with a delicious drink.

They have a live singer and he is amazing, very easy on the ears. I do not remember what his name is though.

I took advantage of their 2 hour bike rental twice. The first time I headed to Regent Village and to Grace Bay Gourmet grocery store.
The second time, I went all the way to Bight Children Park and really enjoyed the scenery on the way there. I stopped off at Saltmills Plaza because I wanted to see the Potcakes Rescue. Potcakes are a name given to the dogs of the island and the rescue makes sure the puppies that are found are all spayed and neutered and adopted out. They are a no kill shelter and rely solely on donations and volunteers. Seeing those dogs made my heart ache and want to bring them back home with me. I made a donation while there.

I didn't take advantage of the water activities, but the beach was just beautiful.

I have to say, even though this was my first time on the island, I would go back to Royal West Indies resort as I found it to be good value and in a great location.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Been to Royal West Indies Resort? Share your experiences!