“Paradise....” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
“Paradise....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We did a lot of research on where to say before deciding on the Royal West Indies. Hands down, this is the most beautiful, well kept property. The staff are fabulous. The rooms were very well decorated, very clean, and comfortable. We stayed in bldg 5. The pools are beautiful and relaxing. The grounds are meticulously maintained. The gardens are just simply beautiful. Everywhere you turn, there is a beauty in the plants, flowers, palm trees. The on site dining is very good. Happy hour at the bar (2 for 1) is a good deal each day. Eating is very expensive on the island, no matter where you go. We bought some groceries for breakfast and lunches. A six pack of beer is $18 at the grocery store. It is what it is! Pack your own or just plan to splurge. My husband and I enjoyed a very lovely dinner at Grace Bay Club next door - dinner was $200 (one glass of wine) the before dinner cocktails (one beer and one glass of wine) was around $30. All restaraunts charge an 11% food tax PLUS a 10% service charge. I was never really clear if that was considered a 'tip' or not, so we always tipped on top of that. This makes eating out and drinking expensive. BUT, it's vacation, so just deal with it. If you like to party or shop this is not the island for you. If you like to snorkel, relax, kayak, walk the beach, be outdoors, this is your paradise. I highly recommend Provo Ponies as well. Horseback riding on the beach was my favorite excursion. Can't wait to go back. We will stay at the Royal West Indies on our next stay when we bring our children. Can't say enough good things.

Room Tip: I really don't think there is a bad room in this place. We had a garden/pool view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I had a short visit to the resort from July 8-11, 2013 but I have to say it was a wonderful stay. It rained a lot, Hurricane Chantal was making her way over the islands, but even with that said, the sun was shining for most of my stay.

The grounds are lush and green, and very clean. Every morning you see men and women tending to the grounds, cutting grass, cutting dead branches off trees and flower bushes. They work very hard and are extremely friendly.

I had a studio suite overlooking the quiet pools, up on the third floor. The room was clean and the furniture tasteful. I had access to a large balcony with chairs and table and lounger.
The only thing I wasn't too fond of, was the fact that I couldn't sit out on the balcony when it rained because it is not covered. Water flow in the shower was great the first day, but after that, was lacking. I could still wash my hair, but it would take longer to get the soap out.

I spent a lot of time at the restaurant/bar. I had the conch salad and I have to say the taste was a bit overpowering but good nonetheless. The ribs were also very good. Pelican Bay restaurant won the island rib cook-off and rightly so. But I have to say my favorite meal was the conch fritters. They are little balls of cheese, conch and bits of veggies that I assume are fried lightly. They come with a spicy mayo in which you can dip them. My second favorite meal was the jerk chicken wrap. Though the sandwich itself was small, it packed a good punch and was very filling. The fries were delicious.

The drinks from the bar was really good but very strong. My favorite one was the mojito. Cuba still has the best mojitos, but for another Caribbean island, they were really good. Every night they have a 2-4-1 Happy Hour from 5-7. It is the best way to meet people.

I went there my first night and met a lovely lady known as Miss Joan. She is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to the island, the resort and the workers on the resort. She introduced me to many of the locals and put me in touch with a lot of interesting and very nice people.

Shoutouts go to Premy, Marcus and Mario at the bar. If you are not sure what you want to drink, just tell them this: make me what you think I should have,and they will come up with a delicious drink.

They have a live singer and he is amazing, very easy on the ears. I do not remember what his name is though.

I took advantage of their 2 hour bike rental twice. The first time I headed to Regent Village and to Grace Bay Gourmet grocery store.
The second time, I went all the way to Bight Children Park and really enjoyed the scenery on the way there. I stopped off at Saltmills Plaza because I wanted to see the Potcakes Rescue. Potcakes are a name given to the dogs of the island and the rescue makes sure the puppies that are found are all spayed and neutered and adopted out. They are a no kill shelter and rely solely on donations and volunteers. Seeing those dogs made my heart ache and want to bring them back home with me. I made a donation while there.

I didn't take advantage of the water activities, but the beach was just beautiful.

I have to say, even though this was my first time on the island, I would go back to Royal West Indies resort as I found it to be good value and in a great location.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Great property, very beautiful. Pools are small and good for kids use only. Wish I didnt have to walk so much for towels every time. Would be great if they had sand toys and other accessories for kids.
House keeping services were great. Rooms are spacious and comfortable. We needed an extra bed and hotel was able to provide rollaway. We had suite #1 which has best access to ocean. Highly recommend that.
Kid friendly.

Room Tip: Recommend getting a Oceanfront room - other rooms are very far from beach. Also the towels are only...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Have been here for one day and so far everything has been great. The value we got relative to some of the other resorts nearby was excellent, and the staff and overall accommodations (rooms, pool, beach bar) have been top notch. Amenities like free bicycles for the 10 minute ride down to the grocery store, ATM and nearby restaurants is a nice touch as well.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We just spent June 8th-June 21st at this resort. It was our third stay and we would go again in a heartbeat. The staff is very professional and accommodating. We feel more like "part of it" rather than just "paying guests". Our room was very clean and the furniture and appliances worked perfectly. The restaurant food and service was very good. The bar area is a little worn and in need of updating, but the quality of beverages and food always meets our expectations.....which are very high. This property is centrally located on Grace Bay just west of Club Med. Years ago this would have been troublesome, but the Med is nothing like it used to be. Very few folks stay there now and the late night revelry is next to nonexistent. RWI's location makes it easy to walk to 9 or 10 restaurants and lounges. The beach provides a shortcut to these places and we would walk both ways even late in the evening. For beach walks you can go east to the Leeward Channel (2.25 hrs roundtrip) and west to the Somewhere Else beach bar (1.75 hrs roundtrip) and never step on a stone! On the RWI beach complimentary kayaks and hobie cats will save you a lot of money. Try it. You will like it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

This was our first time to Turks & Caicos and we really loved staying at this resort. (6/23-29/2013)The place was spotless, the grounds were stunning, the pool was beautiful and clean. There was a kids area and a quiet area for adults. The staff was excellent; front desk more business like compared to typical US staff, but still friendly.

In order for this trip to be more affordable and enjoyable you MUST RENT A CAR!!!!!!!!! Taxi cost is ridiculous and there are not a whole lot of nice restaurants to walk to. We paid $120 for a 15 min. cab ride from the airport to the resort. (not metered, $15 per head, 8 people). They have bikes to rent which we took to the store to get groceries on our first day. Small baskets, cannot hold a lot and bikes are ancient and terrible to ride. But we made it and stocked up on goodies. I did pack a lot of snacks to take with me. There is no resort gift shop or store for essentials. Could have used that.

However, the main reason: the beach and water...simpy magnificent! So clear we could see pretty little fishys swimming around our legs. There is snorkeling gear, kayaks and sailboats to use for free.

The room was beautiful with comfy beds, clean baths and kitchen. We were on the first floor with patio. We rented two attached rooms which was perfect for our family. Room 514 air conditioning didn't work that great, but room 515 was nice and cool. Also, you need to pull up the shower attachment before turning on the water. There is Happy hour and a DJ for a few hours in the evening, but otherwise very quiet area.

The restaurant menu was pretty good, but prices at all the nice restaurants are pretty high. I suggest the ribs and chicken for $14.00 at Tiki Hut on Wednesday night. (skip the chicken actually!). Mango Reef is right on the beach; beautiful at sunset ($$$$).

Overall, I think this was a perfect resort for my family and friends: 4 adults, 2 18 year olds, a 16 year old and a 12 year old. We would definitely come back.

Room Tip: If looking for ocean view, then you need to ask for the bldg. right on the ocean. All "ocean vi...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Milton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

This was our 4th stay at the Royal West Indies Resort. We stayed at the resort from June 22 to June 29. I have two previous reviews on Trip Advisor regarding this same property.

My husband and I could not pass up Air Canada Vacations deal for the month of June. Two round-trip flights, taxes included, for $672! Wow! We then got in touch with Val at Turks and Caicos Reservations and he booked us a one room botanical suite. I highly recommend dealing with Turks and Caicos Reservations. This is the 2nd time that we have booked accommodations with them. The staff at Turks and Caicos Reservations live on the island and know everything about the islands and all of the accommodations. We then got in touch with Grace Bay Car Rentals and booked our rental car. Gotta love the steering wheel on the right, safest way to go.

When we arrived, we were greeted with a cool drink and our room was ready. We were in room 735, a one bedroom gardeniview suite, which faces the quiet pool. Just beautiful! Within a few minutes of settling in, we noticed that the safe could not be reprogrammed. Within five minutes, a staff member came to our suite and gave us a key to the safe. Problem solved! You will read from my first review of the RWI that a broken safe problem was never solved, nothing to do with the RWI, since we had rented privately from the owner via VRBO.

Near the end of our stay, we noticed some water on the floor when we got up one morning. We traced the source of the water to the water heater in the unit. Within five minutes, a staff was on his way up to our suite to clean up the water and look into the matter. This was around 9:00am. By the time we came into the suite around noon to head out for lunch, another staff member was installing the new water heater. We were very impressed with how quickly the problem had been solved.

One of the tasks that housekeeping does is clean up after your mess in the kitchen, including either loading the dishwasher or hand-washing your dishes. Tip them well, they work very hard.

The grounds of this property continue to amaze me. The way that the entire resort has been constructed, with lush grounds, are really beautiful. There are many properties on the island, some very high end properties, but in my opinion, no resort touches this resort when it comes to its beautiful grounds. The gardeners can be seen tending to the garden. Staff have always been polite and wonderful, despite having to deal with some less than polite guests that we observed this stay (no please and thank you.....manners people!).

We attended the Sunday night Jerk Party at the Pelican Bay restaurant, located on-site. The jerk chicken was really good and the musician that evening could actually sing, unlike some other nightly entertainment we have heard on the island that comprises of really cheesy music (sorry NADA).

We enjoyed some new restaurants this trip, such as Somewhere at Coral Gardens, Fresh Catch at the Salt Mills, and Lupo, at Regent Plaza. Lupo was probably one of my favourite meals. What a great new restaurant. Somewhere was also fantastic, we ate there twice! Fresh Catch was okay.

Please visit the Potcake Place if you are a dog lover. They are located on the ground floor at the Salt Mills Plaza. You can visit the puppies that the wonderful volunteers rescue, and donate some money to their cause. They are amazing individuals who devote much time and resources to rescuing the potcakes on the island. We volunteered to be potcake couriers to Toronto, but they did not require our services.

If you have mobility problems, I would recommend staying on the ground floor. There are no elevators. There are 8 buildings at this property. Building 1 is the only oceanfront building and it is literally on the beach. We have stayed in Building 1 twice and the views are pretty great. Other properties of later construction are set back much farther back from the beach. Buildings 2, 3, 4 and 5 are closer to the first pool and the Pelican Bay restaurant. Buildings 6, 7 and 8 are at the back of the resort and face the 2nd pool, the quiet pool and jacuzzi. What a quiet spot. We love this area of the property and it is only a minute or so walk to the beach. The 2nd floors of each of the 8 buildings have fully covered balconies, but the 3rd floors have a pergola, so you cannot really sit outside if there is rain and we had rain almost everyday the week that we stayed.

One final sweet ending to another beautiful visit to the island was the Glow Worm cruise. We attended the cruise on Wednesday night with Captain Bill. Captain Bill is.......interesting.........Anyways, while the purpose of the cruise was to see the glow worms, which was awesome, we had a few added treats.....saw a big sea turtle come up and give us a "what's up?" and then just as the sun was setting and we returned to Sapodilla Bay to wait for the glow worms, two dolphins appeared. They showed off for us for a good five minutes.......that is something I will always remember. What a wonderful treat and so special to have seen these beautiful creatures.

The RWI is our favourite place, and despite staying at other properties on Provo, we always return back. It feels like.......home.

Room Tip: The gardenview rooms in building 6, 7, and 8 all face the quiet pool and are away from the music at...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal West Indies Resort? Share your experiences!