“Great Location...Great People...I'd go back.” 5 of 5 stars

Club Med Turkoise, Turks & Caicos
Providenciales, Providenciales   |
Ranked #32 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Orange County, California
“Great Location...Great People...I'd go back.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

I stayed at Club Med Turks from June 12 - 20 and had a fantastic time. Having read several reviews at Tripadviser before going, but after having booked and paid for the trip, I was feeling some trepidation since several of the reviews posted by Americans were bad. I arrived prepared for the worst and was pleasantly surprised...everything about my experience was fun and positive.

Let me address some of the specifics.

Rooms - Having been to several Club Med's in the past the rooms were exactly as I expected them. This Club does need to be renovated and the rooms to not stand up to more modern accommodations but they were more than sufficient...The beds were comfortable, the bathrooms clean and the room was air conditioned. The night we arrived there were several mosquitoes in the room but after a 5 minute bug-killing spree the room was pest free. We never had another mosquito in the room the entire time we were there. Personally I never spend a lot of time in the room but I slept hard and comfortable.

Food - I consider myself somewhat of a "foodie" and a wine enthusiast and I thought the food was great. The meats were especially tasty but the salads and vegetable choices were plentiful and great tasting as well. I did not have the chance to dine in the Lucayan restaurant and can only speak for the main dining room but I was very pleased with both the quality and quantity of the food and beverages. Sure, there were a few dishes that were not to my liking but that is to be expected. Remember the chefs are trying to appease a range of palates and cultural preferences and what you dislike someone else will think is great. If you can't find something to your liking at every meal you just aren't trying very hard or you're being difficult. Oh, and the White Chocolate bread is to die for.

Drinks - The bar staff was wonderful. The bartenders - Franck, Hugo, Nat, Roxane and Isabel went out of their way to make it a fun experience. The well liquor was okay and the drinks tasty. Several previous reviews mentioned that the drinks were weak but I caught a buzz from them. If getting drunk is your chief concern simply order doubles or shell out for the premium stuff. The wine served at dinner is mediocre but goes well with the food. There is a wine list with much more impressive wines available for an added cost.

Beach and Ocean - This is the reason we came to Club Med Turks and it does not disappoint. The beach was beautiful...white sand and turquoise water...and we found ourselves spending the majority of our time there. The snorkeling is fantastic, both the "free" snorkeling trips offered by Club Med and the paid excursions. I don't think you can go wrong snorkeling anywhere in the Turks. We saw an enormous variety of sea life, including sharks, barracudas, dolphins and numerous tropical fish. Club Med runs two free trips a day to different locations so you can saturate yourself with snorkeling if that is what you choose.

I did not SCUBA dive this trip but I understand the diving was spectacular. Next trip this will be high on my list. I also did not have the time to sail or take part in the circus, both activities I have enjoyed at Club Med's in the past. Next time I'll make the point of getting my butt off the beach and out of the water to take advantage of these opportunities. The GO's I met who were involved in these activities...Cameron in the Circus and Brian at sailing, were great guys.

I went on one Big Blue excursion...the Caicos Cay trip, which is a 1/2 day snorkel combined with a visit to Iguana Island. It was fun and worth the money primarily because of the guide (Paul) who was informative, helpful and entertaining. If I had to do it over again I would go for the all day "Heart of the Island" trip.

We also took a sunset "Wine and Cheese" catamaran sail provided by "Sail Provo" that was a lot of fun and that I would recommend if you like wine and sailing (I do). It was a great way to meet people outside of the resort.

I recommend getting out of the resort and seeing what the locals have to offer. There are several nightspots and restaurants within about a 15 minute walk that are a lot of fun. There is also a casino right outside the Club Med gate. We visited the casino and a bar called Calico Jack's. I will review those separately. I recommend Calico Jacks and I do not recommend the casino...this despite being a die-hard Blackjack aficionado. There was just something wrong about the games at that place. Can't put my finger on it.

Another great thing about Club Med Turks is that it is one of the last remaining 'adults-only" Club Med's. Having been to several family Club Med's in the past I liked not having family's present. The partying lasted longer into the night and there was a whole different vibe to the place. It will be sad when this one is converted into a family resort, which I heard rumors was going to happen. Alas, it's the end of an era.

The final word...I highly recommend this club if your looking to be active, to socialize and to have some fun. If you're looking to be pampered with the latest in conveniences this probably isn't the place for you.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (642)
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2009

Fabulous beach, beautiful water. The weather was great. Staff at Club Med was not friendly, at least 95% of the staff. We were treated as if we didn't exist. Peolpe actually got up out of their seats and moved to another table. Another time we sat at a table with two G.O.'s who neverbathroom was filthy dirt spoke to us. Paulito and Katie from the Circus area were the exception to the rule. Kendall and the G.O. who runs the bar also were great. Every other G.O. we had any contact with was not friendly at all. We have been to 3 other Club Med resorts and this was the worst experience out of them all. Also the rooms were not what we paid for. We resersed a King bed and got two twins pushed together. The bathroom was filthy dirt and moldy, just like the pool everyone swims in. All of this may not make a differnce to you, but it did us. If your not gay, you may be treated better, for your sake I hope so. The highlight of the trip was the sunsets, and the snorkeling trips provided by Club Med, don't miss either. Don't bother going on the half day snorkeling trip with Blue. You'll see better snorkeling, you can go everyday,a nd best of all it's free. Save the $125.00 for some cold Coronas.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2009

This was a total girls trip and a perfect backdrop for it. The beach and water are of course gorgeous. There is something for everyone. You can relax at the beach or you can join in on countless activities. There are tons of different fitness activities and lots of water sports, and the completely unexpected trapeze! Everyone is very supportive and willing to teach. The value was completely worth the price. The food was great, lot of veggie and healthy options. The GOs really try hard to make sure you're having a good time. The evening shows vary, the best were the circus and trapeze shows, the other's were a bit cheezy but all in good fun. Overall, very good value for the money. Not a fancy place, but clean and very entertaining.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2009

Trust me, you will want to read this one.
I went to Turquoise Aug 2008 and was caught in record breaking hurricanes there but had a great time. i wont review that trip for now but though i couldnt do any activities, it was and still is all about the people you meet there. it was very easy for me. Club Med thankfully gave me 50% off a return trip within one year so i just went back June 2009.

Here is what you need to know.
1) People- all about the people. you will find from 20's up to maybe 60's. most are single, some married, never any children or families there. probably 50% canadians, maybe 30% USA/Americans, and the other 20% from Europe. You will hear English , but also French, and other languages. Mainly English and French. Attitudes were often upbeat and positive, and a friendly staff. The staff there are called G.O.'s, you are the G.M.'s. You only need maybe 2 people to find and you will eventually find so many others. If you can't 'meet people there is something wrong with you. Most people there are "pretty people" but not every single one and not all visitors either but generally speaking the obesity I see in America is not present in this place. many have cut up abs just like in the magazines and all so get yourself in shape for it.

2) Food- I'd say its average to above average. there are only 2 places to eat. the main buffet style every day for all meals, or 1 single restaurant which has some decent dishes but is nothing special inside. Do NOT expect high class fancy restaurants or food. But it is certainly decent. the restaurant called Lucayan you need a reservation at 1030am the day before.

3) Accommodations: here's where i lower the hammer on club med. this place looks like a camp or bungalow. low budget accommodations in a village style setting. bathrooms were nice, and air conditioning is fine, but you'll find bugs, dirty comforters with cigaretter holes in them and various stains from prior guests. all realize this part stinks but all deal with it. know this up front! and dont complain later.

4) activities: many from sailing to the trapeze (loved it!), to snorkeling, and excursions you can pay for. the others i said are free.

5) staff: generally speaking , very friendly, and mostly good looking people. Bartender Dembo! awesome. TRapeze staff all Awesome! Sailing staff: Cesar seemed nice though i never got to go, the blonde dudes, def. nicer to women, not men. not as friendly at all. thumbs down on those guys. lastly: a new feature! photographers. they are everywhere to take your pictures! you can pay for what you want. you will be in the ocean and they'll come get you!

enjoy yourself. i went solo and though i was worried, its not a big deal. there are many others solo who want to meet people just like you do. best beaches bar none!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
silicon valley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

Just to make things clear, this resort is for fun in the sun and in the water. If latter is always present, the former sometimes hides behind the clouds. These days make some people write bad reviews on TripAdvisor:)

This is not a 5-star resort but it definitely delivers on it's promise from ClubMed's website:"Explore your passion for sports". You have a choice of FREE snorkeling (the boat leaves twice a day), kayaking, sailing, windsurfing, flying trapeze, volleyball, tennis, basketball, soccer, water aerobics and a variety of gym-based classes (like Zumba and yogalates). That's besides swimming and soaking the sun at the one of the most beautiful beaches you'll ever see. Now, if that is not enough to fill your days with fun, then take your private jet back to Hampton and complain to your personal steward all day long:)

Now, the nightlife is good and GOs team does a great job "warming up the crowd" before the 11pm disco. The shows were fun, especially considering that participants are not professional performers, but the very stuff you see during the day.

The food is great and smaller number of choices is well compensated by the quality and taste. They also have a different "theme" every night, so it does not get boring. Make sure you try "white-chocolate bread", it's the best.

When you get to the resort make sure you try all the activities within first few days of your stay. This way you will not regret trying something on the very last day and be sorry you can't do it again:) This is especially true with Circus team lead by Polito. The flying trapeze looks very dangerous, but it's a lot of fun and very safe. If you mange to perform a catch you'll get a certificate of such an outstanding accomplishment:) Another must do is a sailing lesson from sailing team lead by Brian and make sure you sign up for Armada it is definitely an experience you'd love.

And now the most importing thing: Don't forget to have fun and don't let a small mischief draw your attention away from the things that are really important and great!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

Having read all the negative reviews, I was somewhat skeptical about going to this hotel, but I must say that I was pleasantly surpised. I think that the reviewer below (titled "fabulous trip") sums it up nicely - indeed there will always be people who complain about everything. A few points: 1) The hotel itself is nothing special, not a 5 star place, but it is definitely good enough in terms of its facilities; nice clean rooms, nice pool... nothing that you might need isn't there 2) The beach and the water are absolutely gorgeous, perhaps only Bermuda can compare to it. What I loved is that the beach is nearly empty, never crowded. In fact, the resort was only 60% occupied at the time we were there (which may be good or bad, depending on what you like, but it certainly did not feel empty 3) The crowd is very mixed, mostly young people, lots of singles or groups of friends, some couples. Overall people are a good mix and are very friendly and you will always find someone to socialize with, but only if you want to of course; if you prefer to just be with your spouse/friend and not mingle, you don't have to 4) Nightlife is great. Personally I did not like the shows and did not go, but it was nice to hang out around the bar, mingle, drink, play pool, etc. There is always lots of dancing going on at night 5) I thought that food was better than at an average all-inclusive resort; selection may have been more limited, but the quality was solid and food was very flavorful and tasty. Drinks were actually great I thought - you just have to know what you like and have them make it for you. The beer is very decent; wine not bad as well. I was surpised to see a lot of top shelf liquor that is included for free (if you ask to have Bacardi and not the cheaper rum in your drinks, you will get it; same with Smirnoff for vodka; they have some decent scotches as well). 6) Staff: I think the key to the success of the Club Med enterprise is that they do not have any locals working for them; all of the staff are people working for club med and most of them were French Canadians; it makes a huuuuge difference. Most of them them are nice, friendly and can actually hold an intelligent conversation. 7) I was pleasantly surprised that there is no culture of tipping AT ALL! It's so nice to feel that people provide good service for you and do not expect something in return (such an opposite from Jamaica where I also went recently!) 8) Make sure to take advantage of all the water activities: sailing lessons and rentals, windsurfing, etc. i.e. things that you normally have to pay for are FREE! they also have kayaks of course. smorklening tours are free and awesome as well. my friend did scuba for 3 days and apparently this is the best place to do it. They also have a trapeze, where they do awesome shows and you can also learn to do it yourself. 9) if you walk to the end of the resort (where snorkling tours leave), there are some local shops where you can buy some goodies to bring back (although they are quite stingy when it comes to bargaining) 10) we did go to the next resort for dinner once and it was very disappointing; from what we heard food on the island in general is so so, so stick to club med; and by the way the a la carte restaurant is quite overrated, I thought that the buffet was much better. All in all, this is a very fun place to be, so enjoy, don't judge it too much and just have fun! FYI we paid just under 1400 per person for 7 nights (incl. round trip flight to NY) and I thought it was just the right price for what you get.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
framerican52309
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2009

It is clear from other reviews that Club Med Turkoise isn't a luxurious escape for honeymooners, but we decided to give it a shot anyway. We really wanted to go to an all-inclusive resort in Turks & Caicos and there aren't that many options.

Beach & Rooms - We definitely made a good choice!!! The beach is absolutely gorgeous and we spent most of our time relaxing there. The rooms get a B at best, but ours wasn't awful as other shave suggested. It wasn't anything special, but the linens were clean and the floors were cleaned of sand every day. It is true, however, that there are leaks all over the place. Definitely could use renovations.

Meals - I don't understand people's complaints about the same food every day at breakfast, etc. They served scrambled eggs, eggs made to order, omelettes made to order, french toast, pancakes, crepes, sausage, bacon, tater tots, fruit, yogurt, cereal, bread, pastries, etc. What else could you want?!! Some people will always find a reason to complain. The food wasn't A+++ but we thought it was good enough. If you don't like what you chose, go back to the buffet and pick something else.

Also, you do not HAVE to sit with strangers at the larger tables. There are plenty of tables for two if you choose to sit alone. Maybe we were just lucky because the resort wasn't full that week. Sometimes we sat alone, sometimes we didn't. We enjoyed meeting new people, especially since there were people from all over the world (France, Argentina, Brazil, US, Quebec). We also ate one night at the "fine dining" restaurant. It was worth it to sign up, but not the best meal I ever ate.

GOs & Entertainment - As for the GOs - some were nice and friendly and some were only going through the motions of making conversation with guests. I really didn't care either way. The shows at night were amusing. If you want to see professional performances, go to Vegas. These were all in good fun and we found it hilarious to see the GOs up on stage.

Activities - SIGN UP FOR THE ARMADA!!! Go to the sail shack and find out when it is and make sure you sign up. They take a group of about 40 over to Iguana Island. All we really did was wander around, but it was great. Basically a free excursion. It was like a deserted island. We also went out snorkeling twice. They go to different spots all the time so it's worth it to go more than once. We got massages as well. They were overly priced, but it was our honeymoon!

Dancing every night. The drinks were fine in my book. If you find them weak, then start asking for strong drinks. It's really not that complicated.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Club Med Turkoise, Turks & Caicos? Share your experiences!