“Fabulous Adult Family Vacation!” 4 of 5 stars

Club Med Turkoise, Turks & Caicos
Providenciales, Providenciales   |
Ranked #29 of 44 hotels in Providenciales
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
“Fabulous Adult Family Vacation!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Fabulous Adult Family Vacation!

We just took our third trip to Club Med Turks and Caicos the first week in August. In May we celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary, and our first trip was back in April of '91, when I was a few months pregnant with twins. This trip was a celebration of my Mom's 75th birthday, so this time there were three generations of family there.

Our main reason for choosing T & C was the highly rated scuba and snorkel locations. Although we have been on some great vacations, this was the best one ever! What made the difference? The people. They were so friendly, genuinely warm, helpful and really wanted us to have a great time.

When we arrived (and we were so glad to finally get there because of several flight delays), Kearn and Marie and a few other G.O.'s were there to give us a warm welcome. Marie had made special room arrangements for our group of 8, as well as securing a wheelchair for my Mom. We enjoyed meeting Kearn while he showed us to our rooms.

The Chef de Village (Chief of Village) Mike, was so nice, friendly and accommodating. He was everywhere...greeting people at the boat dock who were coming back from scuba and snorkel tours, standing by the cafe with Christian to greet everyone for lunch and dinner, hosting and taking part in the nightly shows, etc. He was highly visible, and demonstrated care and concern for both his G.O.'s and his G.M.'s. (G.O. stands for Gentle Organizer, G.M. stands for Gentle Members – Us.) He is very positive and shoots for the best, and it seemed to me that the G.O.'s wanted to please him because he is so great to work for. His attitude really seemed to set the tone for the entire village. He helped my Mom take her plate to her table and always had something nice to say that was meaningful. He was such a gentleman!

It was so much fun to meet and interact with the G.O.'s. I took an abs class with Patricia, and also one of the male G.O.’s, and Aquagym with Dominique, Celine and Patricia...they made it so much fun! Several G.O.'s sat with us at our table...Erin, the Costume Designer, remembered us from last May and came over to talk with us. She does an incredible job with all of the costumes and she is a sweetheart! Jim, the Set Designer, and the gentleman who, among other things, runs audio for the shows, sat with us for lunch and we really enjoyed finding out more about them. Ricardo, a maintenance worker, had a lot of really entertaining stories for us. He was a lot of fun!

Christian did a really nice job of leading fun songs to dance to...We are still singing and dancing to "Hands Up!"
The housekeeping and food service employees always had a smile and a sweet disposition...they were a joy and delight.

We were all so impressed and amazed with the food they served! The desserts were especially delicious, and Michael, the Pastry Chef, could not answer me when I asked which night was his favorite night for desserts. He said it is like asking someone which child is their favorite. He loves them all the same! My favorite night was French night...Second favorite was Fusion, then Mexican...all nights were fantastic though! I loved going over to the coffee machine and getting as many lattes as I wanted...I can't count how many I had! Gatta has a special meat dish he prepares that is in my top 5 list of the best meals I have ever had!

This club has many activities to offer: Trapeze, trampoline, juggling, sailing, windsurfing, a variety of excursions and fitness classes, a work-out center, sports, (a soccer game my brother-in-law participated in) pool and ping pong, tennis, as well snorkeling and scuba classes and excursions.
Also, there is a Trapeze performance every week. We saw the Trapeze artists perform some jaw-dropping feats in one of the nightly shows, Exciting plans are in store for the Trapeze Show.

The main reason that we chose Turks was to take our kids scuba diving again. This was the highlight of our trip. Beth Reedy and the Seafari scuba team run a smooth operation. They were great at making sure we were safe and that we knew and understood protocol. They are all passionate about scuba diving, and they wanted us to go on the best dive possible and have a great time. We have a lot of respect and appreciation for Beth, Hugo, Emanuel, Pia, Karl, Ben, Hilary, Ann...(and we missed seeing Stephane this time and hope to see him again in the future!) They are well-trained trouble-shooters, ready to ready to deal with any situation that arises at a moment’s notice, and we trusted them and felt very safe with them. They are all great team players with a spirit of excellence….“living the life” and also working very hard. They had our best interests at heart and gave helpful suggestions to make our experience better.

We all dived 7 times each. This was perfect, because it gave some time to rest in between dives, and also gave us more experience, which is really the name of the game with scuba. The more you do it, the better at it you get, and the more you enjoy it...just like anything else in life. I made plenty of mistakes, but I learned from them, and Beth and Hugo were always there to help me figure things out.

We enjoyed meeting Emanuel. He did a great job giving Alex and Angela a refresher class, as they had not been diving for 6 years. Alex and Angela really enjoyed his sense of humor! He was also quite funny on the snorkel boat with Ann, and I got to learn how to drink water from the cooler without a cup! Emanuel was nice, funny and easy to like!

Beth took us on 4 dives. She was fun to dive with. When some of our team had to go up to the bar, we still had a lot of air in our tanks, so she let us have some playtime for a little while. She took my hands and lifted them up and we did a happy dance together! That was spontaneous and fun! We took off our fins and walked on the sand and she showed us how to do moon walking, kicking up off of the bottom of the ocean floor and pushing up into the water, we did back flips, she blew cool bubble rings and performed some Ninja moves. We had an unexpected surprise visit from a Nurse Shark on our last dive!

Hugo took us on 2 dives. At the beginning of our dive, just as I realized that my weight belt was falling off, Hugo immediately saw what was happening and secured it for me pretty quickly. He took us to the Dome, which was so surreal! We got to swim through it twice. At the end of our dive we had some time to play since some of our group had gotten low on air. Hugo is quite an entertainer, wants you to enjoy your dive, and is good at making you laugh, which is quite a different experience underwater! He engaged us in some cool Ninja moves and blew incredibly perfect bubble rings! Alex videotaped our dives with his GoPro, and we are having so much fun watching the amazing footage! All in all we saw puffer fish, lionfish, grouper, barracuda, squid, turtle, reef shark, a nurse shark on our last dive, and Beth's favorite, a juvenile drum fish!

Bob and I took our first night dive with Hugo last May. Beth encouraged us to go. We were reluctant, and I was afraid of what might be out there or what might happen, but because Beth encouraged us, we decided to bite the bullet and do it. Hugo led us on this amazing night dive, and at the end of it, because the timing of the moon was perfect, we got to see glow worms, like something out of Avatar. We will never forget that night! I thought about how we were not created to be able to stay underwater for more than a few minutes and we certainly weren't created to see anything at night, but because of the invention of scuba and being able to take lights (torches) underwater, we were able to slip in on a part of creation that we would not otherwise be able to experience, and that is a privilege not to be taken for granted. I felt like I had regained some of the adventurous spirit I had when I was much younger, and that was a very eye-opening revelation for me.

Karl took all of us on a night dive. We saw a lot of lobster, a squid, and all kinds of beautiful fish. It was amazing to see they eyes of the lobsters glowing in the dark, and it almost seemed like they were looking right at us! Actually, they cannot see images, but their eyes can detect motion. We also saw the plankton light up at the end of the dive when we turned off our torches and stirred up the water to stimulate their glow. When we came up to the surface, I looked up and was amazed at how beautiful all of the stars were!

Angela thought Karl was funny and said he sounded like "Lumiere" in “Beauty and the Beast.” She thought the night dive was like being in a scary movie, but Bob and Alex felt most at peace during the night dive. Alex thought it was epic. He said it was like being an astronaut. It didn’t feel like you were in the water, it felt like you were floating in space.
I thought it was dark and mysterious, exciting and adventurous. Even though I loved it, I wondered if I would do it again, but realized I have to do it again so that I don’t lose my sense of adventure! There is just nothing like a night dive!

The Scuba Team also had a delicious BBQ for all of us, and it was fun to talk more with them about scuba. They also met for dinner with all of the divers and gave out some awards afterward. Alex and Angela received awards for diving for 3 days and had a great time watching the show. Beth was in the show as Mary Poppins! Emanuel and Hugo also participated in a show earlier in the week. How they have time for this we do not know, but they put their hearts and souls into everything they do. The shows were amazing and so much work went in to them...they really did a great job, and there was a noticeable difference from what the shows were like 20 years ago. Our daughter, Angela, is a professional ballerina with English National Ballet, and she was very impressed with how the choreographer arranged the shows. She thought they did a great job, especially on Thursday.
Alex was very impressed with Celine. On top of leading Aquagym, hosting ping pong tournaments, organizing volleyball games and being the life of the nightly parties, she had amazing singing, dancing, and gymnastics performances!

My Mom and sisters went snorkeling. Mom had to use a wheelchair, and someone was always there to help with that. She was a little concerned about getting on the boat with a cane, and wanted to give special thanks to Ben and his team for taking care of her like she was family. They made it easy for her to go snorkeling.

On the morning of our last day, we were able to say good-bye to most of the scuba team...it wasn't easy to leave such a great group of people. We said good-bye to Ann and she was so kind to help us with getting some Scuba shirts. After our “last lunch,” many of the G.O's, including the Chef of the Village, Mike, gave us a Club Med good-bye...lined up on both sides as we walked toward the bus to go to the airport. It was a great opportunity to see them one more time.

I have to say that it is so important to go off with your family and really have a great time, and that is what Club Med is all about. They really get it! They realize how important this is, and nobody does it better than Club Med. Our kids, almost 22 years old now, and our family were so thankful to have gone on such a great trip, and we will always treasure that memory!

This is a vacation that is really going to be hard to beat...and the more fun you have, and the more time you spend getting to know the G.O.'s and G.M.’s, the harder it will be to leave, which brings me back to the "Hands Up" song we sang every day….”Hands up, baby hands up, your heart gimme gimme your heart gimme gimme…” We left a part of our hearts with them, and that was hard, but it is worth it, because this is the kind of vacation we all want to have!

Tricia, Bob, Alex and Angela Wood

Room Tip: We like staying in Section B...between the gym and the scuba shack...also a short walk to the dining...

2,997 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (553)
Briarcliff Manor, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

My wife and I, and a few years ago my daughters as well, go to this Club Med regularly. The setting is extraordinary and the accommodations are fine for people like us who spend the whole day outdoors. It is unfortunate that the Club has decided to make economies on the food which used to be stellar and had been a key draw to Club Meds. It is still ok.

While scuba is now outsourced to an outside firm, Seafarer, it is seamlessly integrated within the Club and it is the main reason why we come here. There is plenty of fauna and flora to look at, with shark and lobster seeing being routine, but you will also see sea turtles, moray eels and rays. Towards the end of out stay, and as we prepared to return to base, we were surrounded by 20 to 30 dolphins! Everybody jumped in the water, and it was a truly memorable experience.

The diving is very well organized with a comfortable and fast catamaran picking the divers at the quay and getting them to the diving sites. Although my wife and I are certified, we prefer to dive with an instructor for peace of mind. We found all of them to be friendly and competent. Another interesting characteristic is the fact that the instructors follow different dive profiles and have their individual "diving style" while always remaining well within safety norms and no decompression envelops.

We really love it at this Club and will return. It is well worth the trip.

Room Tip: Try to pick a ground floor room, your legs may thank you at the end of the day.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

The beach was great. The snorkeling was average, lots of dead coral and the rooms and good were average. Nice stay just nothing spectacular about the resort. It was very low key and casual. The a la carte restaurant is only open 3 times a week and you must make reservations the night before. It fills up fast so get in line early

• Stayed August 2013
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

This is the first time we've been to Turks & Caicos. My girlfriends and I went there for a bachelorette party. We chose the best place in T&C for this special occasion. It is about the only place on the island that has a good night life. We partied till the lights go out. The GOs (e.g. Ansley, Deizel, Pierce and Taylor) in ClubMed are very nice. We would definitely go back again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

This August was visit #3 of unlimited returns. Club Med Turkoise is the ONLY place I keep going back to and for many reasons.
Some may say the rooms are a bit outdated - you are missing the point. I have a vague recollection of what the room looks like. Some say the place is a bit 'old' - no, it has character and history and if I have to put on a tie and Gucci loafers to get a drink, this is not the place for me.
Turkoise welcomes you back even if it is your first visit. That Caribbean paradise you always dreamed of where life was easy, everything casual, people friendly, food great and drinks abundant.. this is it.
The GO team are great as always - fun, pleasant, and ready to make sure everything is just right. I use their Hobies a lot and the boats are crew are just right. The nightlife is fun, vibrant and a great way to meet new people and make new friends.
The beach... spectacular. The sand is soft, the sea is warm and of spectacular colors. Snorkeling and diving are a must-do as is the trapeze (or so I am told!!).
Most importantly is the way you are treated by the GO's and management - with such kindness and friendliness you really do feel you are at your home away from home. Nothing pretentious, everything genuine.
Of all the things to do in life, places to go, money to spend, ClubMed Turkoise is a must on anyone's list.

Room Tip: Building D and E - close to Sharkies and the sailing area!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Cranford, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

The hotel somewhat reminds me of my grandmothers house; dated but spotless. The rooms are comfortable and environmentally friendly; it's nearly impossible to keep the lights on once you leave since you need to leave the key in an electronic slot to ensure that someone is in the room. The fact that all inclusive meant all inclusive is wonderful; free food and drink combined with free activities; think snorkeling, trapeze lessons, zumba, water aerobics, yoga, and more. In the evenings there are free shows to watch followed by a party either at the bar or another location (beach or Sharkies). One can spend the day in a cabana at the pool, at the pristine beach, or doing one of the numerous activities offered on sight. The staff also makes the stay amazing; the G.M Mike knew everybody’s name and always asked how you were doing, the assistant sports manager Ara was genuinely friendly and seemed to become family for the week, Katrina from the Trapeze school was also delightful. We travelled with a multi-generation family; two teenage girls and their parents. We usually don't have the desire to stay in the same place twice but we would all love to come back here.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

If you read any of my other hotel reviews you will see that I have stayed at predominantly four and five star hotels in the past. The decision to choose this three Trident (Club Med star equivalent) resort was done with the full knowledge that the accommodation would be more basic and that the resort itself was a little tired. What you get though is a fantastic beach, crystal clear turquoise water and all the normal Club Med Amenities.

Let me say that the review that I read about staff Friendliness must be outdated. Of the five Club Meds that I have been on, this was by far the most friendly, and maybe being adult only, the guests also seemed more approachable as well. We were there with an adult son and girlfriend. Accolades to the Chef de Village, an Australian named Mike, because he works tirelessly at guest relations, greeting you at the restaurant door, handing out popsicles on the beach and every where else, and I think his example rubs off on everyone else.

The Catamarans that you sail yourself are great and the daily snorkel excursion to the reef is fantastic. As with all Club Meds there is no shortage of things to do. We did pay to do an excursion to a reef, a deserted island, and an island that is an iguana sanctuary. It was a good half-day out and worth the money.

The food is very good but not as extensive in variety as I have seen at other clubs, and I think this is down to the size.
We tried the reservation only restaurant one night and while it was nice to sit on a padded seat it really was not any better than the normal food.

The white sandy beach is spotless, and yes if the club were totally full I could foresee an issue with getting a spot in the shade, but for us we had no problems all week.

The rooms and the property overall need a renovation, but the air conditioning in the rooms worked well and they were clean with good showers. The turn down service at night was nice and there were plenty of towels.
So as I said, you get exactly what you should expect and for us it was a wonderful week with some great memories.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Club Med Turkoise, Turks & Caicos? Share your experiences!