“Unexpectedly great food!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Caribbean, Seafood, Dessert, Healthy
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Dessert, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Da Conch Shack: da famous beach restaurant of TCI. Fresh seafood and so much more. Great food, friendly service, beautiful beach setting. Live music Wednesday evenings. Not to be missed.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Unexpectedly great food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

I went to the Conch Shack as a part of the Concha Woncha Tour. I was unsure of how I would like their food since I'm a picky eater so I went with the Jerk Chicken, assuming that would be the safe choice. The chicken and conch fritters were excellent! Everyone seemed to be enjoying their meals, and the rum punch!

The restaurant is right on the beach, in the sand. There are beautiful views, great for taking family or group photos!

Visited May 2014
Manager203, General Manager at da Conch Shack, responded to this review, June 8, 2014
Thank you Anja K, we sincerely appreciate your visit while on your tour. Our kitchen team consistently places a lot of emphasis on fresh and flavorful food. We are happy you enjoyed our Conch fritters, Jerk Chicken and our famous rum punch.

We look forward in welcoming you on your next visit.

Cheers,

Karel.

Maple Ridge, Canada
“On the Beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

We went to da Conch Shack for lunch twice during our recent visit to Turks & Caicos. This is an outdoor restaurant on the beach but part of it is covered to protect from the sun. The seating is casual picnic benches and the view is beautiful. The service was good. I asked for a separate bill and it was provided. The first time we went I decided to try conch so ordered the conch soup and conch salad. Soup & salad - can't go wrong, right? Wrong. The soup reminded me of the Manhattan Clam Chowder that Campbell's used to make except instead of clams it had these chewy little pieces of conch that reminded me of chewing erasers. The salad was actually a bowl of chopped raw conch marinated in lime juice with some tiny pieces of tomato and green pepper. I understand it is considered a delicacy but I ate a couple of mouthfuls and left the rest. I am definitely not a conch fan but my own fault for ordering the wrong thing. My companions had the West Indian Curried Chicken and the Fish Tacos made with Grouper. They proclaimed both delicious.

The next time we went I asked for a separate bill and was told "no - you are a family". I responded that I don't pay my family's bills and they don't pay mine" but didn't press the point further. When the bill came I was provided with a separate bill without comment. I ordered a coffee but when it came it was too cold and too strong. For my lunch I had the West indian Curried Chicken. The curry was excellent, very mild and tasty but I did find the chicken a bit tough. It was accompanied by a crisp fresh coleslaw, which was very good, and rice.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Houston, Texas
“Wednesday Night Debauchery”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

We decided to eat here after hearing that this was "the place to be on Wednesday nights". They have live music. We drove there since we had rented a car. Let me preface what I am about to say with the following. This particular place is not my scene. It was my husbands scene. This is equivalent to a beach-like Chili's on the bar-side on a very busy night.
They were very busy and we almost had to wait for a table. Unfortunately because of the unruliness of the place you couldn't make out who was waiting on whom and if you would be found to be sat if they wait-listed you. Fortunately we didn't have to wait long. They had several large parties there and for this I can recommend this place.
What to eat? CONCH and more CONCH. We sat at a two seater table near the bar and very close to the band and 'dance floor'. It was OK. The CONCH SALAD is delicious and best on the island. The rest was bland and borderline disgusting. I had the FRIED CONCH with rice and beans and coleslaw. Best thing was coleslaw. My husband had the CONCH creole.He said it was OK. The RUM CAKE was ridiculously drenched in RUM and I couldn't finish the first bite before spitting it out. We never tried their 'famous rum punch' but it was a hit with a lot of the big crowds. We might have waited 30 minutes for our food. didn't mind cause we were people watching and the band kept us occupied.
The 'locals' come out of the woodwork and like to show off their dancing talents on the dance floor. This is fun to watch for a while at least. If you are into this sort of thing I would recommend it. If you aren't, save yourself the trip and go somewhere closer.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
San Francisco, California
“Casual, fresh conch, watch the fishermen bring their catch in.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

A group of us who came so we ordered different things on the menu so we can taste everything, it was all good. We watched as the fishermen came in on their boat to haul their catch. The owner/manager took us out on the beach and showed us how he removes the conch from the shell. It was so fresh, you can even eat it all sashimi style. It's a relaxing lunch place where you can look out at the ocean. It's definitely worth a visit.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Idaho Falls, Idaho, United States
“Excellent Again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

Wednesday night live band definitely makes it a party atmosphere. The manager held a reservation for us, which was an unusual surprise. It's definitely a PARTY. Try their coconut conch or conch stew.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Manager203, General Manager at da Conch Shack, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
Thank you Dasha M, we could not have had the PARTY without you! We pride ourselves on exceeding guest expectations. We have some new items (PeppaJoy chicken & pulled pork) we want you to try on your next visit.

Hope to see you soon. Cheers!

Karel