“Totally Worth It!!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Staten Island, New York
“Totally Worth It!!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

My husband and I recently traveled to Turks and Caicos (4 days, 3 nights) for the first time and chose Villa Del Mar for its affordability and availability. We traditionally stay in highly rated and exclusive resorts such as Four Seasons in Nevis, The Westin in Aruba, and Pueblo Bonito Pacifica in Cabo San Lucas (just to give you a background on my previous travel accommodations and experiences). We booked this trip the day before and we were pleasantly surprised by the resorts close proximity to the beach, the Grace Bay Club (where we enjoyed their many restaurants and amenities, Grill Rouge, The Lounge and Anai Spa), shopping and dining. The rooms are very spacious with large balconies and bathrooms. Each unit is equipped with washer/dryer and kitchenette area for convenience. I highly recommend grabbing some snacks and beverages at the graceway supermarket (10 minute walk) for mid day and evening munching. The staff at the front desk were very friendly and accommodating. They helped us arrange dinner reservations, taxi service, and even a late check out to accommodate our late afternoon flight. This is a smaller boutique hotel without many amenities however the rooms are clean, nicely decorated and close to all. My only critique would be that the linens were clean but stained and the rooms could use a little TLC (fresh paint to cover scuffs and scratches). The continental breakfast was good although if you're looking for a full breakfast The Vix at the Regent Village (10 minute walk) was outstanding! The beach service was good, helped us with our towels, chairs and umbrellas each day and provided snorkels, paddle boards and kayak. At a quarter of the price compared to the many larger resorts, I wouldn't stay anywhere else for the value.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Chester, NJ, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

My family of five just stayed at Villa del Mar during the first week of March. This was our second time on TCI, the first being two years ago where we stayed at the beautiful, top-shelf all inclusive Veranda, which was subsequently bought out by Beaches. So, staying at Villa del Mar was going to be quite a change and I was a little nervous. Upon arrival, I was impressed with the easy check in and warm greeting in the "lobby" area, a small building that houses their offices. We stayed in a two bedroom villa with a sofa bed and kitchen. It was impeccable, fresh, clean, and modern. If you put this room at Grace Bay, you would feel like you were in heaven. The "master" bedroom had two step-in closets that were plenty big enough. From the pictures, I was afraid the second bedroom would be too small for all the kids' "stuff" - they are 14, 12 and 10. However, the large and functional armoire allowed us to unpack everything. For once, we had a satisfactory sofa bed that didn't kill anyone's back. There are two pools, and for the most part we felt like we had them to ourselves. In the reviews, many talked about being able to use the Grace Bay Club's property and that is true this time of year. When we were on the beach, the kids went up and used their pool, which is much nicer than VdM's, but also filled with small kids and kids' clubs (which did appear to be very well supervised). My husband & I kept thinking we'd go up to the property and order a few drinks, but never got to it because we were happy on the beach. We did eat at Grace Bay Club twice, and both times it was a mediocre experience at a high price. The VdM gentlemen on the beach were happy to order drinks and smoothies for us from the Ocean Club at about 1/2 the price, so we were happy. Breakfast is served daily. It's enough. Kids went for the banana bread and sugary cereal boxes every day. It did get "old" and I wish there was more fruit than bananas and oranges - - maybe some cut up fruit or watermelon slices. Coffee there is delicious. The grocery store is nice and clean, and a short walk away. Each time we've visited the island, we've gotten mysterious stomach "bugs." Last time, I thought it was a fluke. This time, as soon as it hit us we went to the grocery story and carried back cases of water, and ordered flat, bottled water at every meal. Be sure to bring your snorkel gear because there's lots to see right at the beach.

The Pros: VERY family friendly, quiet, price point, beach location, clean/new, easy check in & check out, close to town and grocery store, hot tub, service on the beach, the "Captain" has to be the friendliest bartender, drink prices are reasonable, excellent daily cleaning services, the friendly gentlemen stationed on the beach, friendly staff, washer/dryer. I found it better to eat some meals at "home" rather than have to spend an hour or more and $150+ to eat lunch/dinner out. Regardless of location/ocean view, remember that you will spend your days on one of the best beaches in the world.

The Cons: Not on the beach, views of parking lot in the back of every unit, and we had strong smells of sewage every few days. Once, the smell was so strong it woke me up, but then it went away in the morning. There is really no "service," no one to stop and see if you need anything or a drink while at the pool. Most of the staff is friendly (We even had coconuts delivered to our room, ready to drink, by a nice man who saw my boys trying to get some. That was a highlight of the trip!) but some just look tired and grumpy. The pool wasn't as "luxurious" or large as the big resorts, but just what you need. Unlike other places, they don't own a kayak, paddle board or paddle boat to loan out. You can rent them, but it would be nice if they had some of those recreational items.

Recommendations: If you do just one thing, take the Island Vibes snorkeling tour to the reef. Eat lunch at the Ocean Club. The front desk referred it and they were right. Price is comparable to US pricing and food is delicious. We had great lobster egg rolls, the best chicken soft shell taco, great Caesar salad, English fish & chips, and pulled pork sandwich. We also ate dinner there and service was VERY warm and friendly. Walk into town and eat lunch at Vix. They try to sell you on their burgers, but they were mediocre at best. Go to Big Al's for a burger but get a specialty flatbread and the fish stew/soup at Vix.

Would I go back to VdM again? Absolutely. I can't stop thinking about it!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
nova scotia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

This was our first time in Turks and Caicos but definitely won't be the last . From the moment we got to this resort we were greeted by Ruthie who offered us a drink and had a beautiful personality as she was working most of the week . The other staff at the desk were all very pleasant as well, each time we walked through they always said good morning or how is everything. Our room was on the first floor c 103 a studio suite which included a microwave , washer dryer and mini fridge. The room was very clean and linens were white and very nice. The housekeeping was wonderful. Our walk out balcony had a lounger as well as a table for 4 which we ate breakfast on every morning. We really enjoyed the breakfast as we don't normally eat a heavy breakfast , cereal and a banana was perfect for us. There was pastries , bagels and home made banana bread as well. Really who wants a large breakfast before going to the beach? The beach is a very short walk and the two beach attendants Lerone and Kerone were perfect gentlemen the whole week. They had our chairs ready every morning with clean towels, if you wanted a drink they got it for you in no time. They also went next door to the seaside cafe and got us lunch back to our loungers. They went above and beyond and really do deserve a good tip. The resort was so small and intimate that you got to know the other guests who were so friendly and happy to be there as well. The manager was always on site making you feel comfortable and at home and ready to help with anything. If you don't enjoy this place then you should probably quit travelling. There is nothing that I could say negative about this place. Sure there isn't 10 restaurants on property but we didn't go to all all inclusive for this reason. Everything is walking distance so we would go out to supper and it would take us ten minutes to walk at most . The pool area was always clean , people cleaning the grounds constantly . We had kitty visitors each day which made it feel like home as well. The thing about turks I enjoyed the most was that there was cats and dogs around the beach and restaurants and hotel properties but no one was trying to get rid of them. Every creature was welcome. It was the perfect vacation !! We will be back .

Room Tip: All of the rooms here would be fine it is a small resort
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

Like many people we chose Villa del Mar because the price was lower than other resorts on the beach and I am so glad that we did. The resort is literally across the street from the Grace Bay Club and you walk a short distance through the resort to get to the beach. Villa del Mar has staff on the beach to provide you with chairs, umbrellas, and towels. The units have a great large deck. Also, one thing I really liked is that you can't hear neighboring units.

The pool area was nice and they have a bar. The resort was fully booked while we were there but it never felt crowded. The front desk staff was helpful at making dinner reservations. We had a few issues with the unit while we were there but Alan was great on getting everything resolved to our satisfaction.

We would not hesitate to stay here again. Overall we had such a nice time. The one negative with the studio unit is that there are shutters between the bathroom and living space. I think that is fine for the sink, shower and tub but it lacks privacy when using the toilet. It wasn't a huge deal for my husband and I but it is a bit odd and seems like it would be easy to change while still giving an open feel. Also, the breakfast provided is adequate but after 7 days we were looking for something else so did go over to the Grace Bay Club one morning.

A couple of things about Provo. We didn't think we needed a car so didn't rent one initially but if I had to do it over I would have; otherwise you are stuck at the resorts and the higher priced restaurants. We were able to rent a car for two days during our stay but a lot of places were sold-out and I'm sure we paid more per day than if we rented it at the airport.

A drive out to Chalk Sound is worth it. We had great snorkeling at Smith Reef. Best dinner was at Coyaba - it was outstanding. Coco Bistro was also very good and if you want a reservation book it right when you arrive or before you go. Some less expensive places we enjoyed were Mr. Grouper's and Pizza Pizza. We also went out to the Da Conch Shack for their wed night beach party, which was fun but I didn't think the food was that great. We purchased food at the IGA which was within walking distance. Food is expensive there as well but it helped cut down on costs. If you want to dive highly recommend Flamingo Divers but you need to book them a couple of months out, unless they have a last minute cancellation.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

We stayed with friends in a 2 bedroom unit for a week in November 2013. We were pleasantly surprised. The location of the resort is ideal, just a short walk from the beach through another resort property. The beach attendant is great and there is an abundance of loungers and towels. We were in a main floor unit and had a nice patio area leading directly on to the larger of two pools. We made our own breakfast daily in the very nice kitchen and ate our lunch at one of the resorts on the beach. We stocked up on groceries at the IGA about a 10 minute walk away. We ate all our evening meals in town and found that to be very expensive.The only downside for us, was the lack of a closet and lock on the second bedroom door. A second bathroom would have been ideal and a unit on an upper floor would have enabled us to enjoy the sunset.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

We stayed at VDM for 5 nights as opposed to our original 7 booked nights due to a flight cancellation and were pleasantly surprised by the beauty of the resort and our accommodations upon arrival. Although the hotel was at its maximum capacity, it didn't feel like it was at all. There were always beach and pool loungers available for guests, which made for a very relaxing vacation where you are not playing the "this is my lounger because I have my towel on it game". I loved just sitting out on the "huge" balcony enjoying the beautiful landscapes, the warm weather and a glass of wine! I also loved all the amenities the resort offered....the complimentary breakfast, the in room coffee make and coffee, the washer and dryer. The walk to the beach was beautiful and very short. The beach attendant was amazing and every day would provide my kids with sand toys. I would definitely return to this beautiful resort. My only teeny tiny issue is that the customer service at the hotel when we were there was a hit or miss. There was one woman at the front desk that was always very pleasant.....other than this person, it was rare that they made eye contact and you were fortunate to get a bit of a nod when walking by the front desk area. There were also several times where I had to hunt someone down to get a drink at the bar. I love that this island has a very relaxed approach and you are forced to enjoy the quietness and tranquility of a non-allinclusive option, however, customer service at resorts should be part of the package when people choose to stay there and many times choose to continue to stay at a particular place year after year. Other than this very minuscule issue, we loved our stay at VDM and can't wait to return to one of the most beautiful islands we've ever seen.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here Feb 13-18 and this hotel is located in the second best location in Turks..Second only to Grace Bay Resort which is located right on the beach directly in front of Villa Del Mar..We loved This hotel and the staff was extremely friendly and helpful we will definitely stay here again..Rooms are very spacious and clean with large balconies...The Beach attendant is very friendly and accommodating..Great Vacation!!!!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Villa del Mar? Share your experiences!