“Great place to stay in Provo (nice and affordable)...” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #18 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Del Norte de Mexico
“Great place to stay in Provo (nice and affordable)...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I found this hotel after reading many reviews on Tripadvisor. My wife and I just returned from a trip to TCI. I am glad that I chose this hotel! We had a great week in Provo. This hotel is in the middle of the Grace Bay area, so it is an easy walk to many places: only 1 minute to the beach, only 10 minutes to the grocery store, and only 15 minutes to shopping villas, and many restaurants. The room space is big. The area is very quiet and safe. It is more like staying in a small apartment: small kitchenette, dryer and washing machine in one, etc. They offered a light breakfast in the morning (and they bring the bread from the near bakery, which it is a French bakery). It is an affordable place compared to hotels around, and I could see that many people likes to go to the grocery store (IGA) and buy food for the week (TCI is not a cheap place). The staff was very friendly, specially the boy on the beach. Some people asked us where we were staying because they did not know that place. It is a hidden place because it is not right in front of the sea. However, it is a great place that even some people considered to change of hotel after talking to us. This is a good place for couple and families. It is very quiet, so if you are looking for a resort with many restaurants and attractions, this is not the place. This is more like feeling at home while on vacations. My only recommendation would be to add some things that people could use while on the beach (there were only stuff for kids and some old boards). Villa del Mar has its own section (but remember that all beaches in TCI are public, so walking is great exercise and experience while in the island), that section has a beautiful view of the the Grace Bay, and the water is clear, not cold, and the sand is like baby powder :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
albany ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

This was our 4th trip to Grace Bay, Providenciales, TCI in past three years. This is a true paradise, holding a special place in our heart. Villa del Mar came to our rescue. We desperately needed some R&R, and booked a 4 night stay last minute (just 5 days prior), from a travel website. Our package was booked at a very different hotel. Upon our arrival to the island in the afternoon, we came to find our pre-booked accommodations unacceptable, and not up to the expectations we had come to appreciate when staying in Provo. It was my spouses birthday and had made dinner reservations prior to leaving the States, so during dessert course, we scanned our phones with the tripadvisor app. The Villa del Mar appeared to be a very reasonably priced for the island. We were a bit hesitant because it stated it was "across the street" from the beach. Please don't let that scare you away. Our accomodations were actually closer than some of our previous stays located on other "beach front" settings. (see Pics) The walkway to the beach is travel magazine material! Anyways they rescued us from our previous accommodations and had a studio room available.

The room was clean, bright with a balcony to sit and enjoy your evening coffee. There was a deep soaking tub as well as a walk-in shower. Washer and dryer, microwave and mini fridge were within the room's kitchenette, as well as a room safe. The only piece missing was a dresser. I prefer to unpack even for short stay and the efficiency size room did not have a dresser. This resort does have elevators to get to upper floors if accessibility is a concern. Housekeeping was extremely friendly and our room was well kept. Our room looked out onto the child pool. There are two pools and a whirlpool on the premises. The pools were virtually empty every time I was on my porch or walked by. The work out area is really tiny, just a treadmill and one other piece of equipment.

The walkway to the beach is is through the Grace Bay club. The villa del Mar has it's own booth on the beach. The gentleman will supply you with towels, extra if asked for, set up an umbrella and chairs. It was nice not to have to worry about finding a chair or umbrella. You will be hard pressed find a more beautiful beaches than on these islands. If you can rent a car GO EXPLORE!! There are secluded absolutely breath taking beaches all over the island. ( see things to do on tripadvisor)

They do not have a restaurant on the premises of Villa del Mar, which really isn't an issue as there are plenty of 3,4 & 5 star restaurants within walking distance or short taxi ride. There is a small tikki hut bar open with limited hours in the evening, but we prefer to enjoy drink at Grace Bay club with the infinti bar just across the street, right on the beach. ( see dining suggestions below)

There is a small breakfast bar open in the morning available for guest at the Villa del Mar. It had oatmeal, fruit, muffins, cereals, coffee juice and bagels available. There is an IGA supermarket within a mile of the Villa de Mar. We shop there when we visit the island. Be prepared, this is an island so almost everything must be shipped in, therefore, groceries are expensive (ie. 1 Lb of butter $6, Lb of coffee $12-$18 etc) We usually buy a few bottles of water, and then a large gallon jug of water. we prefill the bottles half way every night and freeze then refill in the morning with water. It keeps the water cold while on the beach, and saves from walking to a beach bar and paying $4-$6 for a bottle of water.

We had a fabulous time, thanks to Villa del Mar saving our stay. It's a lovely place to stay. This island is not for those looking to party or a night life, far from it. It is quiet, elegant with pretty minimal night life other than moon light walks along the beach. For wonderful dining try these Anocona ( right across the street), Parellel 23 or 7. Hope you enjoy your stay on the island.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Williston, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed here with our two young daughters. We were here to attend a wedding being held at the Grace Bay Club which is located across the street. The Villa del Mar was nicely appointed. We stayed in a suite room with a king bed, pull out sofa, balcony which looked out at the pool, a kitchenette, a beautiful bathroom with a walk in shower and a separate tub. The room also included a washer and dryer. The room rate included a continental breakfast set up poolside every morning with coffee, juices, cereals and pastries, bagels and breads. Yogurt would have been a nice addition, but I picked some up at a nearby grocery and had that with the cereal and/or oatmeal available. Fresh bananas and oranges were available daily as well.

The fitness center is not so much a center as a walk-in closet with one treadmill and one elliptical and an incomplete set of weights. If you are tall you will need to sit on the one weight bench or you may lose a hand in the ceiling fan.

This is a very family friendly resort. The housekeeping staff was quick to fulfill requests and the bartender, Bill at the Tiki Hut bar was really nice. He was great with kids. We were here with my 2 sisters and their children as well and Bill was so sweet to the little ones. He even made them a little strawberry ice drink that the kids really loved. One night during the week the bar had free rum punch happy hour and Bill was really gracious to all of us and the kiddos.

One of my daughters got too much sun on the first day and the attendant working at breakfast each morning noticed and stated she would bring some fresh aloe back the next day and sure enough she did! She made a great salve from the aloe and ice to make it cool on her face.

The beach is a very quick walk across the street through the Grace Bay Club. The Villa del Mar has a kiosk on the beach with an attendant who has towels for guests at the beach and has all of the chairs and umbrellas set up. The umbrellas are much needed as the sun is extremely strong! The water is gorgeous and a beach walk is a must! I never felt safer on an island beach vacation. The attendant also keeps cold water and cups for guests.

The Villa does not have a restaurant but there are many close by and within walking distance. The bar closes by 8pm, but if you want more nightlife the Grace Bay has beautiful bars and restaurants right there on the ocean. Be sure to visit Pauline at the Rum Bar next to the pool.

The rehearsal dinner and wedding dinner were at the Grace Bay and all of the food was amazing.

Other nearby restaurants:
Seaside Cafe next to the Grace Bay Club at the Ocean Club West. We had food (take away) twice for lunch here and once we ate on site. The food was good each time. The grilled jerk shrimp and pineapple salad was excellent and the mexican salad was pretty good as well. I had the caesar salad with shrimp one day and it was okay. My kids enjoyed the kids cheeseburger. The fish and chips was good. The food is made fresh so it can be a bit of a wait. This is a great place for lunch as the prices are much more reasonable than the Grace Bay Club.

We also ate here at a special dinner my brother and his fiance held here on the deck while we watched the sunset. We ordered from the dinner menu and I had the mahi mahi which was delicious and my husband and I shared the shrimp tempura appetizer which was really good too. My husband had the grouper and said it was great.

Jimmy's Dive Bar - my family of 4 and my sisters family of 6 (6 kids ages 2-8) ate here one night. A quick walk from the hotel. They have pirate statues outside that the kids loved. I recommend if you can sit outside the restaurant on the patio out front. The service was lacking for sure, but with so many young kids it was a good option for us. Our adult dinners were great, surprisingly so. I had grouper and it was great, good flavor and cooked well. Giggles ice cream parlour is right in the same plaza and the kids enjoyed some fun flavors and the woman working there was very nice and pleasant.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

The only thing that stopped me from rating this place perfect, was the front office staff. The manager was nice during my first encounter with her while I checked in, but after that was short and rude. I worked in a hotel while I was in college so I know how the front office should greet and interact with guests, and this was not it. It seemed like every question, such as the location of places around the island, was the biggest burden for them to answer. Everyone else was wonderful, but can honestly say I won't stay here again because of the front office staff and the manager. The location for the beach was great, but everywhere else, it was a walk.

• Stayed May 2013
villadelmarGM, Director of Development & Operations at Villa del Mar, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear valued guest:
Thank you for posting your review and comments on TripAdvisor. Feedback and suggestions from our guests are integral to our efforts in improving the experience we offer and we continuously utilize this information in our ongoing associate development plan. I apologize for the service you received at our front desk; we pride ourselves on exemplary service as you indicated from our other associates. I will review your comments with my team to ensure all our guests have exceptional service and comfort. We believe our guests are the best source of information for continual improvement; we welcome the opportunity to understand and learn from your experience. Should you have additional information you care to share with us or additional suggestions, please feel free to personally contact me at any time. We look forward to your next visit.
Alan M. Lawley
Director of Development & Operations
alan@yourvilladelmar.com
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Let me just start by saying I loved Villas Del Mar. Every staff member there was super nice, friendly, and helpful. At the beach, the staff was wonderful. I didn't catch the name of the beach person but he was so helpful.

I booked VDM because when I travel I like space, and I also really like a kitchen and washer dryer. These are real luxuries for me. I reluctantly have up beach front local for these amenities. But guess what! The beach was literally right across the road. It was so close that you could walk over in a minute! I'm so glad we stayed here. The hotel itself was beautiful and do were the grounds. They have a bar that's open until about 8 or 9, but there is no restaurant here. It would be nice if they served snacks, or at least had someone that could get food from the seaside cafe like at their beach section. This didn't bother me too much. They also served a continental breakfast every morning. Plenty of breads, pastries, fruits, cereals-- things like that.

This is place to relax. It's family oriented, so kids are around. It's not a party place, which is perfect for me! We stayed in a two bedroom unit, and it was spacious and nice.

I would stay here again!

new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 7 days and it was a great condo. It is behind Grace Bay Club and only 2 minute walk to the beach which is not bad at all. Rooms were cleaned but bed wasn't really comfy. Service staff was great. At the beach, there is always someone there to provide towels or food service they can get you from Seaside Grill Cafe which is only a minute walk from the beach. Food is good like the conche ceviche. The hotel is also within walking distance to the supermarket, Salt Mills Mall and other little places to grab food. Price wise it's the same as you would if you ordered on the beach.
It's also about a 15 minute taxi ride to the hotel. Cost for taxi to and from airport is $15/pp.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

I am a "hotel snob" and this hotel was perfect. It is clean and modern with nice decor. We had a studio, with a small kitchen, den area, patio, soaking tub, rain shower. It is just a 2 minute walk to Grace Bay, where the hotel sets you up with chairs and umbrellas for no additional cost. The beach attendants will run and get you food or drinks, super nice guys. The pools are warm and super clean! Don't hesitate to book this gem, we will be coming back!

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Villa del Mar? Share your experiences!